View Full Version : Most Popular eBook Reader

redbaron101
01-03-2008, 06:30 AM
Hi All,

I've read reviews for the current crop of readers, but dont have any personal experience of any ebook reader; spec. wise I think the latest Hanlins & Iliads appear to be better on paper (pardon the pun) - which is the best ebook reader in your opinion?

HarryT
01-03-2008, 06:39 AM
It's an impossible question to answer unless you specify "best at doing WHAT".

You can forget the Hanlin/Starbook in terms of popularity - I honestly can't recall one single person on this forum having one; they seem to be aimed almost exclusively at the far eastern market, rather than the west, from what I can gather about them.

As far as the rest go, each has strengths and weaknesses:

- The Sony is very well made and the cheapest, but doesn't have dictionary lookup facilities.

- The iLiad is the most expensive and most capable (it's more of an "eInk Tablet PC" than a bookreader) but has a short battery life and a long boot time.

- The CyBook is, IMHO, a good middle ground. It's somewhat more expensive than the Sony, but a lot cheaper than the iLiad. It has dictionary support and supports the very popular MobiPocket format. Of course, I'm horribly biased since I own a Gen3!

redbaron101
01-03-2008, 10:50 AM

You can forget the Hanlin/Starbook in terms of popularity - I honestly can't recall one single person on this forum having one; they seem to be aimed almost exclusively at the far eastern market, rather than the west, from what I can gather about them.

- The Sony is very well made and the cheapest, but doesn't have dictionary lookup facilities.

- The iLiad is the most expensive and most capable (it's more of an "eInk Tablet PC" than a bookreader) but has a short battery life and a long boot time.

- The CyBook is, IMHO, a good middle ground. It's somewhat more expensive than the Sony, but a lot cheaper than the iLiad. It has dictionary support and supports the very popular MobiPocket format. Of course, I'm horribly biased since I own a Gen3!

Is the mobi pocket format drm'd? - I usually avoid drm, as I dont personally like being tied to one device - if I buy a book, I would want to to be able to read it in any device, for example I chop and change mp3 players all the time, usually every couple of years or so, (thats one for me and another for the missus), but we share the the players (usually just switch sd cards around or copy and delete songs as we need them) so buying drm music would have greatly limited our choices especially since we change mp3 player brands as well, so for us buying the cd's and converting them is much cheaper and more flexible. I didnt want to be in this predicement with an eReader, having ebooks that either cant be transfered or couldnt be accessed say in five or six years time.

Does anyone else know why the illiad takes so long to boot? I have a palm T3 which I still use - great little device - turns on instantly. I know my Palm T3 can read pdfs etc) but I always found the screen while okay for writing notes, viewing pics or running apps, too small for books, or long films. If my T3 can do so much more, why does the illiad take so long to boot? (the comparison chart on this web site put it at 44 seconds!)

rixte
01-03-2008, 11:00 AM
Mobipocket files are .prc and can be found both DRM (from mobipocket and other vendors) and nonDRM format.

In most cases, you can register several devices to the DRM key (depending on vendor it's between 2-4, I believe).

But alternatively, you can buy the book in a DRM'ed lit and then convert that to an nonDRMed .prc that you can read on any device that you can install a mobi reader on.

redbaron101
01-03-2008, 11:08 AM
Mobipocket files are .prc and can be found both DRM (from mobipocket and other vendors) and nonDRM format.

In most cases, you can register several devices to the DRM key (depending on vendor it's between 2-4, I believe).

depending on the vendor - what like paperback digital? :eek:

But alternatively, you can buy the book in a DRM'ed lit and then convert that to an nonDRMed .prc that you can read on any device that you can install a mobi reader on.

Is converting a drm'd lit to a non drm prc legit? What would you use to convert lit to prc?

RWood
01-03-2008, 11:15 AM
And then there was the Amazon Kindle ....

redbaron101
01-03-2008, 11:20 AM
And then there was the Amazon Kindle ....

but with amazon, again it for the US only! Dont you guys even have to pay Amazon 10cents to upload your own documents the kindle?

Alisa
01-03-2008, 11:28 AM
You can pay them 10 cents to send it wirelessly. You can load them yourself via USB if they're a supported format. If you want them convert a document, you can send it to username@free.kindle.com and they will convert it and send it back to you. Then you can load it via USB for free. The mandatory 10 cent charge is one of the most common misconceptions spread about the Kindle.

Hadrien
01-03-2008, 11:29 AM
You can pay them 10 cents to send it wirelessly. You can load them yourself via USB if they're a supported format. If you want them convert a document, you can send it to username@free.kindle.com and they will convert it and send it back to you. Then you can load it via USB for free. The mandatory 10 cent charge is one of the most common misconceptions spread about the Kindle.

You can also download files using the browser for free.

redbaron101
01-03-2008, 11:37 AM

my bad, Alisa, didnt realise this was the case. Still, the kindle is only available in the US though :(

AnemicOak
01-03-2008, 11:44 AM
Is converting a drm'd lit to a non drm prc legit? What would you use to convert lit to prc?

Well, breaking the DRM may not be 'legal' depending on where you are. It depends on if you have a problem with that or not.

To convert a LIT use ConvertLit to explode it & use the OPF file in Mobipocket Creator to generate a Mobi file.

redbaron101
01-03-2008, 11:50 AM
Well, breaking the DRM may not be 'legal' depending on where you are. It depends on if you have a problem with that or not.

To convert a LIT use ConvertLit to explode it & use the OPF file in Mobipocket Creator to generate a Mobi file.

Thanks AmeicOak, thats worth noting for later! :thumbsup:

You guys in the US have got it well easy - Im having a hard time just looking for an uk retailer!

Alisa
01-03-2008, 12:05 PM
my bad, Alisa, didnt realise this was the case. Still, the kindle is only available in the US though :(

Sadly, yes, but there are rumors that it will be coming to Europe in the not-too-distant future.

JSWolf
01-03-2008, 12:06 PM
The Sony entry needs to be split into the 500 and 505 and the Hanlain entry needs to be split up to the V3, v2, V8. Plus there is no Kindle. So basically, (IMHO) the poll is almost useless.

redbaron101
01-03-2008, 12:13 PM
The Sony entry needs to be split into the 500 and 505 and the Hanlain entry needs to be split up to the V3, v2, V8. Plus there is no Kindle. So basically, (IMHO) the poll is almost useless.

Hi Wolf, I've been a bit selfish, the poll is to try and help me decide which eReader to go for, hence why I didnt include the versions - I wanted to try and guage which brands were more popular - I havent even included ones like Kindle because they just arent available here (in the uk).

I know different eReaders have different strengths - my main collection of ebooks consist of pdfs, but it looks like even the illiad doesnt cope with a4 pdfs to well either.

AnemicOak
01-03-2008, 12:38 PM
Im having a hard time just looking for an uk retailer!

You probably won't find an actual retailer in the UK for anything but the Iliad. For everything else you'll be importing from someplace else AFAIK.

The UK online retailer for the Iliad is Libresco http://www.iliadreader.co.uk

RWood
01-03-2008, 01:40 PM
The Sony is available in the US only too.

HarryT
01-03-2008, 01:55 PM
The Sony is available in the US only too.

Officially, yes. You can, however, very easily buy a Sony if you live elsewhere. The Kindle can only be bought from Amazon (unless you're willing to pander to the profiteers on eBay, that is :) ) and they will only sell you books if you have a US credit card. Obviously there are other sources of books, but it's really not very feasible at present to use a Kindle outside the US

vivaldirules
01-03-2008, 03:49 PM
I wish I could provide my opinion but I really can't help much. I only have a Sony 500 which I find quite usable but lacking. I'd prefer a 505 which is marginally better (the display, mostly). I have no experience with any of the others From what I see and read here, I think I would love to own an iLiad, too, but I can't justify the additional $700 to buy one.

slayda
01-03-2008, 03:57 PM

Much as I hate to say it, I agree completely with Harry.:thumbsup:

JSWolf
01-03-2008, 04:31 PM
The iLiad can do better out of the box on PDF then any other eink device. However, you can use pdflrf with the 500/505 and get a pretty good result.

guyanonymous
01-08-2008, 03:32 PM
It's a shame that the ebookwise device was left off the list. Still the best value for the $ in my view. And I'm liking the REB1200's I picked up too.

redbaron101
01-09-2008, 04:10 AM
It's a shame that the ebookwise device was left off the list. Still the best value for the $ in my view. And I'm liking the REB1200's I picked up too.

yeah, I think the ebookwise and 1200 are incredible value for money too, but ebookwise isnt available outside of usa & canada and I thought Gemstar stopped making the 1200?