View Full Version : I've joined the ranks of those waiting for repairs.

delphidb96
01-01-2008, 10:35 PM
Yep. 30 minutes ago my Power button collapsed upon clicking it to turn off. It's now OFF and the power button won't work - it's stuck DOWN. And theres a very, very faint rattle.

I'm not competent enough to really go in and do major repairs, but I discovered when trying to see if I could just 'pop-off' the rear cover, that the screw holding on the battery cover and the visible screw inside the battery compartment aren't the only ones. And I'm loathe to mess with uncovering the rubber from off the others.

BTW, is everyone's battery glued down? Mine was.

Derek

HarryT
01-02-2008, 03:17 AM
Ouch! Sorry to hear that, Derek :(.

There's a screw under the sticky label with the serial number, etc, on it; you can feel it through the label. Near the left side of the label. It's pretty normal to put screws under labels so that the manufacturer can tell if you've been messing with the inside of the machine.

Very best of luck in getting a replacement; you of all people deserve one rapidly!

SandySchwab
01-02-2008, 04:19 AM
Ouch indeed. I hope you'll get a replacement quickly, Derek!

delphidb96
01-02-2008, 11:28 AM
Ouch indeed. I hope you'll get a replacement quickly, Derek!

I'm sure I brought it on myself when I dropped it a few months ago. At the time, the only thing that happened was a column of dead pixels appeared on the screen. But I'm sure that I probably weakened something and after all this use, that something, which made the button work, just failed.

Sad really... I was right in the middle of a Kasey Michaels mystery story. And I loathe the Sony PRS-500 after all these months of having a Vizplex unit.

Derek

cmbs
01-02-2008, 10:35 PM
I can't wait to see if they bother to reply to you at all. I am so extremely unimpressed with their customer service.

Sorry about your broken cybook. :(

delphidb96
01-03-2008, 01:09 AM
I can't wait to see if they bother to reply to you at all. I am so extremely unimpressed with their customer service.

If it happens, it will happen soon because they really want to get the engineering samples back for examination and they want us to have at least one of the units that has been pre-packaged the way it will be sold through NAEB. I guess I get my NAEB softcover case after all. :rolleyes:

Derek

delphidb96
01-03-2008, 01:13 AM

And I think that part of the problem is, well, the holidays and, well, the 800-pound gorilla called 'backordered'. I mean, Sony's backordered, Amazon's backordered and Bookeen's backordered on their units, which means if the problem isn't software-related or cannot be fixed with a few simple parts/adjustments, there are no swap-out units with which to exchange. And that last really can't be laid to Bookeen as it's pretty much PVI's fault for not producing enough eInk displays.

Derek

HarryT
01-03-2008, 02:50 AM
And that last really can't be laid to Bookeen as it's pretty much PVI's fault for not producing enough eInk displays.

I'm not sure that "fault" is the right word to use :). I'm sure that any manufacturer would LOVE to have the "problem" of being able to sell every unit that they can make!

delphidb96
01-08-2008, 11:45 AM
So I sent out the Cybook via FedEx on Saturday morning. It arrived in Memphis Tennessee by Sunday evening. By Monday evening it was in the Paris FedEx center. (Mind you, this was sent out via FedEx International Priority!) Today, it went out on the delivery truck. It had to go about three miles. As of 1:48PM, France time, it arrived at Bookeen, only to find the freaking place closed!!!

I despair, I simply despair. :smack::smack::smack:

Derek

ggendel
01-08-2008, 04:01 PM
Caught with the 4 day work week or was there something else that had them closed?

delphidb96
01-08-2008, 05:25 PM
Caught with the 4 day work week or was there something else that had them closed?

Who knows??? *I* live in California-where, despite constant rumors to the contrary, most of us are workaholics who can't bear to not work at least 50+ hours per week. :cool:

Oh well, at least my X51V hasn't dropped dead on me yet. But I'm going crazy 'reading' :bookworm: the small screen!

Derek

JSWolf
01-08-2008, 05:30 PM
Why not read on the 500?

delphidb96
01-08-2008, 05:55 PM
Why not read on the 500?

Ha! Yeah, right! As *IF* I'd take my life into my hands by attempting to pry it from my mother's grasp! She's right smack dab in the middle of "On Basilisk Station" and she doesn't react well to giving up books she's interested in! :help:

IOW, I'm a coward!

Derek

delphidb96
01-11-2008, 03:59 PM
It's been six whole days, three of which have the dead Cybook in the hands of Bookeen... I've yet to receive my new one or hear back when they expect to ship... :(

Derek

JSWolf
01-11-2008, 04:02 PM
My guess would be the sometime around end of the month. Now is not a good time to be waiting for a replacement unit due to screen shortages.

delphidb96
01-16-2008, 01:45 PM
My guess would be the sometime around end of the month. Now is not a good time to be waiting for a replacement unit due to screen shortages.

Oh Despair! He was delivering a freakin' *PLANT*!!!

I'm beginning to think you're right. I'll not see hell nor high water of my replacement Cybook until they get more in stock - or so I now believe.

I can't say I *KNOW* this because, of course, Bookeen isn't talking to me about it!

Plus, I've not received any feedback on whether they have a PC-based update application which I can use to nurse this other Cybook up to version 1.0. Yes, one of the engineering sample units we received back in September, 2007, has never been successfully upgraded from version 0.91 because it's SD card slot won't recognize *ANY* SD card. Oops!

I'm getting frustrated.

Derek

cmbs
01-17-2008, 03:05 AM
I'm sorry you're having problems with them.

I really think Bookeen's lack of customer support and communication is going to be a problem for them. They need to do something about it. They have a product people are buying so much they can't keep up with demand (an expensive product), and yet they can't be bothered to reply to customer concerns. They're in a position to win a lot of customer loyalty and respect- or not.

I wouldn't buy from them again unless I start reading that their customer service is improved. I sincerely hope by the time I can't use this Cybook anymore, there are better options on the market.

Jaapjan
01-17-2008, 03:08 AM
I'm sorry you're having problems with them.

I really think Bookeen's lack of customer support and communication is going to be a problem for them. They need to do something about it. They have a product people are buying so much they can't keep up with demand (an expensive product), and yet they can't be bothered to reply to customer concerns. They're in a position to win a lot of customer loyalty and respect- or not.

I wouldn't buy from them again unless I start reading that their customer service is improved. I sincerely hope by the time I can't use this Cybook anymore, there are better options on the market.

It is exactly the thing that is holding me back from buying from them in the first place.

Ununoctien
01-17-2008, 02:18 PM
Yep. 30 minutes ago my Power button collapsed upon clicking it to turn off. It's now OFF and the power button won't work - it's stuck DOWN. And theres a very, very faint rattle.

Your problem is really worrying me. Iím worry about the hardware quality of the units. I think it isnít a normal situation for a button to break ďdownĒ because the user frequently used it. For the money I gave, I really expect more quality than this.

I have had some functionality problems after a long reading session (like losing Bookmarks, mobipocketís covers not showed, etc.). I read some of this problem in this forum and all of us think (or hope?) itís only a software problem. I really hope so, but what should we do, if this problem isnít a software problem but a hardware one? :confused:

delphidb96
01-17-2008, 04:08 PM
Your problem is really worrying me. Iím worry about the hardware quality of the units. I think it isnít a normal situation for a button to break ďdownĒ because the user frequently used it. For the money I gave, I really expect more quality than this.

I have had some functionality problems after a long reading session (like losing Bookmarks, mobipocketís covers not showed, etc.). I read some of this problem in this forum and all of us think (or hope?) itís only a software problem. I really hope so, but what should we do, if this problem isnít a software problem but a hardware one? :confused:

You have to understand that I was the recipient of an engineering sample way back in September and that I didn't receive a softcover. Add in the factor that I dropped it about 4 feet to the hard tile floor in early October and you get the idea that maybe between the lower quality of the engineering sample combined with the lack of softcover and the drop *may* have combined to weaken it.

As for the bookmarking issue, that is supposed to be software only and I'll buy that because the bookmarking feature was only added in version 1.0 of the firmware. Thus, there may well still be bugs in its implementation.

Derek

JSWolf
01-26-2008, 09:03 AM
Any word on your replacement unit yet Derek?

delphidb96
01-26-2008, 10:46 AM
Any word on your replacement unit yet Derek?

I don't have a tracking number, but the last I heard, I *should* be receiving my replacement by Monday. Given that I just stuffed the other (broken) Cybook in the mail yesterday after determining there was absolutely no way to update it because it had a broken SD card slot, I am *totally* bereft of eInk-based readers until my replacement arrives. (Yes, I remember that Mom has a Sony PRS-500; I'll not attempt to casually 'borrow' it for even the slightest amount of time again - mothers, or at least mine, have very SHARP claws! :D )

Derek

JSWolf
02-05-2008, 10:16 AM
Well given that today is Tuesday, did you get your replacement Gen3 yet?

tribble
02-05-2008, 11:07 AM
With his luck, it was probably stolen from the FedEx truck.

astra
02-05-2008, 11:10 AM
With his luck, it was probably stolen from the FedEx truck.

Your prs-500 broke? Why? How? Why did you order 505 if you have CyBook Gen3?
Ah, so many questions, so little time...

delphidb96
02-05-2008, 11:58 AM

Let's see... For JSWolf. Yes, it's Tuesday, so what? Did you really think I'd have my Cybook back? *I* did. I am reliably informed that they have both replacement units ready and *will* ship them together (Note the implication that they *haven't* shipped!!!) - for those who're floundering around in the dark (Yes, I love seeing people flounder. :D ), two of the engineering units broke - one had complete failure of the power button and the other accidentally had an SD card shoved the wrong way into the slot - clearly cases of owner abuse in each situation. However, I'm not clear whether Bookeen meant that *just* the two replacement units will ship together, but separate from and *earlier* than the 100 ordered units, or whether they'll ship together with the 100 ordered units - which won't be shipping until the wire transfer clears into Bookeen's bank. (Wire transfers into our bank cleared in 2-3 hours *from* Europe. After 24 hours, wire transfer *from* our bank *to* Europe still hasn't cleared - although it shows as gone from our accounts after just 3 hours.)

As for why I'd be ordering a PRS-505, well, Mom likes the Sony 'better' - go figure.

But then we all know that Sony, Amazon, Hanlin, iLiad and Bookeen are just wasting their time and energy because the 800-pound gorilla of the consumer electronic world has, well not *spoken* really, more like whispered rumors in a dark alley... Yes, Apple is once again leaking and then vehemently denying rumors of an impending iBook ebook reader.

Let me guess, it will be a 5" full-color display with an Intel Core2 Duo processor, a 3-hour-per-charge battery life, handle the new (and quite proprietary) .IBK ebook format and run $999 per reader. Did I mention that the device will only hold 2 .IBKs at a time, require a $250 service charge when the battery requires changing and the .IBKs will automatically delete themselves from both the iBook and the user's computers as soon as the user reads the last page? Not to mention each .IBK will be multiply encrypted with five different DRM methods... Yep. That's my prediction.

Of course, millions of Americans will line up outside Apple stores during torrential downpours for the right to buy *ONE EACH* - no cash purchases allowed!

:D :D :D

Derek

tribble
02-05-2008, 12:21 PM

I got a broken uni here, with a screen damage. Doesnt display anything anymore. And i just wanted to have the 505 for comparison to the gen3. I will be getting the V3 soon aswell ;)

And once i have the 505, i will gladly tell you, what i like in either, and which one i will keep on using. (Probably the Gen3, because of the Mobipocket support)

astra
02-05-2008, 01:04 PM
I got a broken uni here, with a screen damage. Doesnt display anything anymore. And i just wanted to have the 505 for comparison to the gen3. I will be getting the V3 soon aswell ;)

And once i have the 505, i will gladly tell you, what i like in either, and which one i will keep on using. (Probably the Gen3, because of the Mobipocket support)

Cool!
Thanks. Looking forward to hearing your opinion.

JSWolf
02-05-2008, 05:55 PM
Actually, Derek, I was hoping you'd have gotten your gen3 back by now. I know I'd be lost without my 505 at the moment since mu pile of pBooks has dwindled to almost nill. So, I'd just end up with one or two books to read and then I'd be done. And going on vacation without anything to read is just a bad idea for me.

One possible solution is to use the 505 until you get your Gen3 back and then give the 505 to your mom or give the 505 to your mom and use the 500. So that way you'd have a reader to use till you got yours back.

delphidb96
02-06-2008, 12:04 PM
Actually, Derek, I was hoping you'd have gotten your gen3 back by now. I know I'd be lost without my 505 at the moment since mu pile of pBooks has dwindled to almost nill. So, I'd just end up with one or two books to read and then I'd be done. And going on vacation without anything to read is just a bad idea for me.

One possible solution is to use the 505 until you get your Gen3 back and then give the 505 to your mom or give the 505 to your mom and use the 500. So that way you'd have a reader to use till you got yours back.

I won't have to suffer much longer. In my email there was this bright, shiny, fresh-scented FedEx tracking number. It promises I'll have my Cybook by 10:30AM tomorrow! :)

Derek

HarryT
02-06-2008, 12:15 PM
Hurray! Are you going to get a cover too now you have a "standard" Gen3 rather than an engineering sample? I'd highly recommend that you do.

delphidb96
02-07-2008, 01:47 PM
Yes, both the replacement Cybooks arrived, THIS MORNING! :D

Yes, I now have a matte-finish Cybook. Yes, I get the joy of telling Fictionwise that I have Yet Another Mobipocket Processor ID (YAMPID) to add to my list - and could they please update all my previously-purchased ebooks to work with the new PID? GAWD! I just LOATHE DRM!!! :smack:

Yes, it arrived *SANS* softcover, 1GB SD card and earphones, (or USB charger) so I have to do all my charging via the compooter. Sigh :wall:

Oh well, I think I'll go look at some Dayplanner cases... :chinscratch:

And our 100 customer units should be on their way shortly.

Derek

lmarie
02-07-2008, 04:39 PM
Yes, both the replacement Cybooks arrived, THIS MORNING! :D .....
And our 100 customer units should be on their way shortly.

Derek

Derek -- Glad you got the replacements -- cool! Also, I was going to ask about the first NAEB order, seeing that Bookeen is sold out again -- thanks for assuring us we're in the loop!

Lelah

delphidb96
02-07-2008, 04:53 PM
Derek -- Glad you got the replacements -- cool! Also, I was going to ask about the first NAEB order, seeing that Bookeen is sold out again -- thanks for assuring us we're in the loop!

Lelah

Okay,

We have already sent the money to them for the first 100 units.

delphidb96
02-07-2008, 04:55 PM
Hurray! Are you going to get a cover too now you have a "standard" Gen3 rather than an engineering sample? I'd highly recommend that you do.

Ha! I am *supposed* to be getting the earphones, USB-charger, 1GB SD card and softcover 'later'. Given that I don't know *how* later that 'later' will be, I *already* went to Target and ordered a zippered case for $14.95! :2thumbsup

Derek

HarryT
02-08-2008, 03:26 AM
Great to hear that you've got your replacement. Do try not to drop this one! :)

delphidb96
02-08-2008, 11:31 AM
Great to hear that you've got your replacement. Do try not to drop this one! :)

I hear you there! :D

What I'm doing is buying a travel portfolio from Target - cost a walloping $14.95. It's zippered, and is large enough that I'll probably be able to fit even the softcover+Cybook inside. Having seen the portfolio up close and person in a display case (Out of Stock), I think I can actually 'mount' the Cybook to the inner divider using stretchy bands...

Derek