View Full Version : New version of Kindle for PC

DiapDealer
06-28-2012, 02:53 PM
Perhaps I missed it, but I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere:

Just installed v1.10.0. I was warned that my version was going to "Expire soon"—which is something I've never experienced before... and I have no idea what it may or may not mean.

I don't know what all the changes it brings are, but I do know it adds support for two-column mode for KF8 books—all without breaking the functionality of a popular set of 3rd-party tools.

AnemicOak
06-28-2012, 04:48 PM
—all without breaking the functionality of a popular set of 3rd-party tools.

That's the most important part for me, thanks.

jswinden
06-28-2012, 07:13 PM
I'm happy they added the two-column mode for KF8 books.

Jeff L
06-28-2012, 08:03 PM
I was warned that my version was going to "Expire soon"

What version did you have before that was going to expire?

tomsem
06-29-2012, 12:05 AM
Still can't download my KF8/fixed-layout comic books (it side-loads the childrens book sample, but panel views don't quite work correctly, or at least there's no navigation keys.).

DiapDealer
06-29-2012, 12:52 AM
What version did you have before that was going to expire?

Blossom
06-29-2012, 01:13 AM
Using 1.9.3 and it been telling me for a week it's going to expire on July 21 so Thank You for letting me know I can upgrade and the tools still work!
I get nagged every time I open a book about the expiration date approaching.

DiapDealer
06-29-2012, 07:38 AM
Using 1.9.3 and it been telling me for a week it's going to expire on July 21 so Thank You for letting me know I can upgrade and the tools still work!
I get nagged every time I open a book about the expiration date approaching.
I'm highly curious about this "expiring" notice. I'm going to leave a few older versions installed to see what happens. There hasn't been any "expiration" of old versions clear back to the betas, that I know of. Perhaps it's just a semantic expiration, but the fact that a date is given leads me to believe otherwise. I guess we'll see in a month or so.

monstermummy
06-29-2012, 08:21 AM
I installed it and since I have done this I cannot download books anymore?

I go to my amazon page, download to my pc, I can see them in the kindle app on my pc as they are downloading and as soon as the download is finished, the books disappear. They are not in the archive - nowhere. The number of total books jumps back to the number I had before tried the download.

I am less than impressed.

DiapDealer
06-29-2012, 08:28 AM
Sorry your upgrade didn't satisfy ... I've not experienced anything like that with the new version. I upgraded right over top of an existing 1.9.2 on Vista with no problems. And performed a brand-new installation of 1.10.0 on Windows 7 with no troubles.

What are you trying to download from your Amazon page to K4PC that wouldn't already be in your archive?

monstermummy
06-29-2012, 09:02 AM
I went through deregistering now and re- installing and can see the books now.

still cannot do anything else with them on the 3rd party tools :(

DiapDealer
06-29-2012, 09:14 AM
Sorry, this is not the place for how that works... only that it still does. The place you got those 3rd party tools from is usually pretty good about answering questions, though.

monstermummy
06-29-2012, 10:32 AM
Sorry, this is not the place for how that works... only that it still does. The place you got those 3rd party tools from is usually pretty good about answering questions, though.

I know - just wanted to mention that since the update I have problems and that I am unhappy about that as I thought it may be of interest to others. If that is not the case - apologies.

I mentioned the deregestering and regestering as that was the way I solved the problem I had initially after the update - again I thought it may be of interest.

pdurrant
06-29-2012, 10:56 AM
Just installed v1.10.0. [...] without breaking the functionality of a popular set of 3rd-party tools.

I'm not having any problems with Kindle for Mac v1.10.0, so it looks like it's probably safe to upgrade on Windows or Mac.

JSWolf
06-29-2012, 11:16 AM
I'm leaving an older pre-KF8 version of Kindle for PC on my laptop and I've upgraded the one on the desktop. So no matter what happens, I'm in not too bad a shape.

DiapDealer
06-29-2012, 11:16 AM
I'm not having any problems with Kindle for Mac v1.10.0, so it looks like it's probably safe to upgrade on Windows or Mac.
Were you getting any expiration notices on OS X, out of curiosity? I'm used to the "New version available" message, but the "Your version will soon expire" sounds ominous. ;)

TimW
06-29-2012, 11:35 AM
The message on mine says: "Changes to allow application to continue working past July 21, 2012." I'm running version 1.4.0, I assume that's why it reads differently. It's reasonable to expect that the old version will no longer function after 7/21. At the very least, I won't be able to download new books from 'Zon unless I update.

pdurrant
06-29-2012, 11:50 AM
Were you getting any expiration notices on OS X, out of curiosity? I'm used to the "New version available" message, but the "Your version will soon expire" sounds ominous. ;)

No, I didn't get any messages like that. And now I've updated, I don't suppose I will!

Synamon
06-29-2012, 11:57 AM
My update message on OS X is "Kindle for Mac 1.10: Minor improvements and bug fixes."

jswinden
06-29-2012, 12:11 PM
I guess Amazon is going to attempt to gain more control over our use of the K4PC and K4Mac apps, probably in order to squash the use of tools at some point. I hope that is not the case, but I suspect it is. I'm guessing that older versions of the app will still be able to view side-loaded Kindle books but not be able to download from or Whispersync with Amazon. But that is just a guess.

DiapDealer
06-29-2012, 12:13 PM
The message on mine says: "Changes to allow application to continue working past July 21, 2012." I'm running version 1.4.0, I assume that's why it reads differently. It's reasonable to expect that the old version will no longer function after 7/21. At the very least, I won't be able to download new books from 'Zon unless I update.
That's sort of what I'm expecting. Not earth-shattering, by any means, but it will (if it turns out to be true) mark the first time Amazon has rendered any version of the K4* software obsolete (even partially) since its inception. It probably had to happen some time though.

I guess Amazon is going to attempt to gain more control over our use of the K4PC and K4Mac apps, probably in order to squash the use of tools at some point. I hope that is not the case, but I suspect it is. I'm guessing that older versions of the app will still be able to view side-loaded Kindle books but not be able to download from or Whispersync with Amazon. But that is just a guess.
I don't really see it as any preemptive strike against circumvention tools, per se. But rather, one more logical step in the controlled (but unhurried) migration away from the traditional MOBI format. You can't ultimately hope to phase it out while millions of apps are still clamoring to download it. It may result in having the same ultimate effect of rendering the tools "squashed" somewhere down the road. But I don't think that's the driving force.

jgaiser
06-29-2012, 03:54 PM
I don't really see it as any preemptive strike against circumvention tools, per se. But rather, one more logical step in the controlled (but unhurried) migration away from the traditional MOBI format. You can't ultimately hope to phase it out while millions of apps are still clamoring to download it. It may result in having the same ultimate effect of rendering the tools "squashed" somewhere down the road. But I don't think that's the driving force.

I love my Kindle, but if they manage to find a way to circumvent the tools, I'll be finding my books at other outlets.

And I don't see how they can migrate away from MOBI without abandoning all those users who are still using K1, K2 and K3 devices with no hope of firmware upgrades. Gonna piss off a *lot* of folks. And a lot of revenue will be lost.

Sigh.. Looks like I need to upgrade my K4Win (1.4.0). Just checked and I get the July date also.

DiapDealer
06-29-2012, 04:34 PM
And I don't see how they can migrate away from MOBI without abandoning all those users who are still using K1, K2 and K3 devices with no hope of firmware upgrades. Gonna piss off a *lot* of folks. And a lot of revenue will be lost.
I did say an "unhurried" migration. ;)

I expect older "purchased" hardware (whose numbers will continue to dwindle) to be supported much, much longer than the free app. Lets face it... the only thing they might be asking users to give up by forcing them to upgrade their free apps is something that they don't endorse in the first place. And with the app out of the way, they're going to have a much easier time monitoring the number of ebooks being delivered to those older devices in the older format.

At some point, though—sooner for the K1 than the K3—when those numbers start getting pretty slim ... I suspect we'll lose the ability to download new purchases or archived items via Whispernet (Wifi or 3G). But I fully expect Amazon to always offer a free online conversion tool that users—who want to continue using the ageing hardware (of which I'm one)—can use to convert their new purchases to the older format that can then be downloaded and manually transferred to those devices.

Of course I could be full of bull-spit, too. Wouldn't surprise me one bit. ;)

Blossom
06-29-2012, 04:40 PM
I'm highly curious about this "expiring" notice. I'm going to leave a few older versions installed to see what happens. There hasn't been any "expiration" of old versions clear back to the betas, that I know of. Perhaps it's just a semantic expiration, but the fact that a date is given leads me to believe otherwise. I guess we'll see in a month or so.

There's a thread about it at the Amazon Kindle Forum. Support claims it was a mistake and there should be no expiring messages that it was for beta users only. I am just happy to see it's fixed.

They need to fix the archive bug in this new version. It takes over 30 second for any books to appear. When I start up K4PC it tells me the books are 0 then after it syncs twice they eventually appear. The Archive items is off by 75 to 100 books.

DiapDealer
06-29-2012, 04:48 PM
There's a thread about it at the Amazon Kindle Forum. Support claims it was a mistake and there should be no expiring messages that it was for beta users only. I am just happy to see it's fixed.
Hmmm. Well that makes all this rampant speculation on my part seem a little silly and premature, doesn't it? :o

They need to fix the archive bug in this new version. It takes over 30 second for any books to appear. When I start up K4PC it tells me the books are 0 then after it syncs twice they eventually appear.
I'm not experiencing anything like that. The number of books in my archive is almost immediately available, accurate... and no wait for the books to appear in my archive. Is this a common complaint?

Blossom
06-29-2012, 05:05 PM
Hmmm.
I'm not experiencing anything like that. The number of books in my archive is almost immediately available, accurate... and no wait for the books to appear in my archive. Is this a common complaint?

No, just one I am experiencing. I'm on Vista 64 and my archive's 2500+ it says 2100 :blink:

hn333
06-29-2012, 06:10 PM
You guys still think Amazon is going to steal your books alike a thief in the night.

Blossom
06-29-2012, 06:14 PM
You guys still think Amazon is going to steal your books alike a thief in the night.

My MYK page shows the correct number of books it's just K4PC that isn't working right.

DiapDealer
06-29-2012, 06:58 PM
Still? I never did think they would. :blink:
This thread's not really about paranoia of any kind. Sorry if I gave that impression.

sadievan
06-29-2012, 07:17 PM

Just installed v1.10.0. I was warned that my version was going to "Expire soon"—which is something I've never experienced before... and I have no idea what it may or may not mean.

I don't know what all the changes it brings are, but I do know it adds support for two-column mode for KF8 books—all without breaking the functionality of a popular set of 3rd-party tools.

You must have read my mind. :rofl:

I just logged on to ask if the upgrade 'broke' anything. Been getting a message also that my version is about to expire.

BTW. I tried to give you Karma but it said I have to spread it around before I can give you any more. :eek:

Carol

sadievan
06-29-2012, 07:20 PM
I installed it and since I have done this I cannot download books anymore?

I go to my amazon page, download to my pc, I can see them in the kindle app on my pc as they are downloading and as soon as the download is finished, the books disappear. They are not in the archive - nowhere. The number of total books jumps back to the number I had before tried the download.

I am less than impressed.

I was on 1.9.3 and with that version if I would purchase the book before I opened KforPC it would show the book and start downloading and then disappear. I would have to close the app and re-open it and then it would show up. If I had the app open first, all was fine.

Carol

Blossom
06-29-2012, 07:22 PM
I was on 1.9.3 and with that version if I would purchase the book before I opened KforPC it would show the book and start downloading and then disappear. I would have to close the app and re-open it and then it would show up. If I had the app open first, all was fine.

Carol

I had the same behavior since 1.4.3 I figure it's just the way the program runs.

DiapDealer
06-29-2012, 07:43 PM
BTW. I tried to give you Karma but it said I have to spread it around before I can give you any more.
Intended karma spreads just as easily as the real stuff... and only has half the calories. :D

sadievan
06-29-2012, 07:45 PM
Intended karma spreads just as easily as the real stuff... and only has half the calories. :D

This is why I love reading your posts. I love your humor. :D

Carol

pdurrant
06-29-2012, 10:47 PM

It's happened before with Amazon. People have lost access to DRMed PDF ebooks that they bought from Amazon, when Amazon dropped the format when they bought Mobipocket.

It's happened with Fictionwise, when Overdrive pulled out, and left people without any way to re-download certain ebooks they'd bought in Mobipocket format.

It's happened with Smashwords, when authors have withdrawn their books to enter them in Amazon's exclusive deal system.

It happened with HarperCollins, when they closed their publisher-run ebook store.

And it's happened several other times, too.

It's not paranoia to be concerned that you might lose access to ebooks, when it's happen several times in the past, from multiple companies.

babarous
06-29-2012, 11:30 PM
...It happened with HarperCollins, when they closed their publisher-run ebook store.

It's not paranoia to be concerned that you might lose access to ebooks, when it's happen several times in the past, from multiple companies.

Which is why the first thing one ought to do on buying an ebook is liberate it from the drm.

chilady1
06-30-2012, 12:55 AM
Which is why the first thing one ought to do on buying an ebook is liberate it from the drm.

AMEN! :thumbsup:

AnemicOak
06-30-2012, 01:06 AM

CyberRead and PaperbackDigital come to mind. Also B&N used to sell ebooks pre-nook and discontinued them around the same time Amazon did the first time IIRC.

eumie
06-30-2012, 01:48 AM

Completely agreed. I buy most of my books from Amazon, use their reading apps and ereaders, but there's no way I'm not going to back up my growing ebook collection. You just don't know what the future holds.

DiapDealer
06-30-2012, 06:58 AM
Or my device simply breaks and I decide to go with a different manufacturer for a new one... and have no desire to re-purchase all my books.

pdurrant
06-30-2012, 08:33 AM
Or my device simply breaks and I decide to go with a different manufacturer for a new one... and have no desire to re-purchase all my books.

Well, yes, there is that, too!

sadievan
06-30-2012, 11:57 AM
Anyone else having problems with the sort option in this version. Mine will not sort my most recent. Keeps sorting by title.

Carol

jswinden
06-30-2012, 12:51 PM
Anyone else having problems with the sort option in this version. Mine will not sort my most recent. Keeps sorting by title.

Carol

Mine will sort by most recent, but it is not accurate by any means. The first 3 or 4 recently viewed books are displayed in the correct order but after that the books seem to be randomly ordered.

DiapDealer
06-30-2012, 01:19 PM
I've experienced sorting issues off and on with many of the different versions.

ElizabethN
06-30-2012, 02:24 PM
Thought that "expiring soon" message was interesting.

I was using 1.9.3 but the only update at the time of the message was 1.9.3.38425. Problem with both versions of 1.9.3 is that I've recently (since the expiring soon message about a week ago) been getting "visual C++ runtime library" errors and K4PC crashing frequently.

Just opened kindle for pc and got the download message. Updating to 10.1 in hopes that crashing issue will resolve.

Hopefully amz will fix the problem of "most recent" only showing a date & time when you open the file to read, not when you download.

K4PC just crashed with a different runtime error and then crashed again with no error. Call to amazon support in my future.

sadievan
06-30-2012, 02:44 PM
Mine will sort by most recent, but it is not accurate by any means. The first 3 or 4 recently viewed books are displayed in the correct order but after that the books seem to be randomly ordered.

If I open a book and then close it, it will show up as the first selection. But then when I close KforPC and reopen it, it sorts by title again. It doesn't keep the most recent.

Carol

jswinden
06-30-2012, 02:59 PM
Thought that "expiring soon" message was interesting.

I was using 1.9.3 but the only update at the time of the message was 1.9.3.38425. Problem with both versions of 1.9.3 is that I've recently (since the expiring soon message about a week ago) been getting "visual C++ runtime library" errors and K4PC crashing frequently.

Just opened kindle for pc and got the download message. Updating to 10.1 in hopes that crashing issue will resolve.

Hopefully amz will fix the problem of "most recent" only showing a date & time when you open the file to read, not when you download.

K4PC just crashed with a different runtime error and then crashed again with no error. Call to amazon support in my future.

Sounds like you need to uninstall the old version, then do a fresh install of 1.10.0.

ElizabethN
06-30-2012, 04:21 PM
Sounds like you need to uninstall the old version, then do a fresh install of 1.10.0.

That's what I'm thinking.

Kumabjorn
06-30-2012, 05:02 PM

:bookworm:
MoE
Master of Euphemism
:thumbsup:

CWatkinsNash
07-01-2012, 10:24 PM
I was feeling brave today so I just did all my updates THEN realized I should probably come here and check for info. At that point, I already knew "everything" was working fine, but I'm usually more cautious than that.

New version is working fine. I've had sort issues since several versions ago when the majority of my books ended up with the same date for some reason. Never was able to figure that one out.

Blossom
07-02-2012, 03:20 AM
The Archive Items number of books being off has finally fixed itself. So far no more problems. :)

whitearrow
07-02-2012, 03:07 PM
So, is it just me, or are people getting most of their books in the new version as the new format, which Calibre recognizes as azw3? Using the tools I've then been able to convert them to plain mobi, but that's an extra step that wasn't necessary before.

DiapDealer
07-02-2012, 03:20 PM
So, is it just me, or are people getting most of their books in the new version as the new format, which Calibre recognizes as azw3? Using the tools I've then been able to convert them to plain mobi, but that's an extra step that wasn't necessary before.
That's been happening since KF8 hit the apps in version 1.9.0. More and more books were/are being converted/updated to the newer KF8 format all the time. That doesn't really have as much to do with the app version itself, as it does with the fact that more and more publishers/providers are making their products (including older ones) available in the new format. If your Kindle app is >= 1.9.0, and the book has the KF8 version available... you're getting the KF8 version.

But yes, if you have an older Kindle device that doesn't support KF8, you're looking at the extra step of converting to plain mobi first. No way around that unless you revert to an earlier version of the app (< 1.9.0) or use the ebook files that are sent directly to your device.

jswinden
07-02-2012, 03:37 PM
I recently published a new book via Kindle Direct Publishing and I don't think I had a choice as far as the format goes. That is, I don't remember being given the option to publish as mobi7 only, KF8 only, or mobi7 and KF8 combined. I think Amazon automatically publishes new entries as mobi7/KF8. Books published prior to KF8 that have not been updated since KF8 was released should still be mobi7, or so I assume.

DiapDealer
07-02-2012, 04:14 PM
I think Amazon automatically publishes new entries as mobi7/KF8.
If you allow them (Amazon) to do the conversion for you (or use the latest version of kindlegen), then yes. But if you build your own MOBIs with MobiPocket Creator or calibre and upload those (or even use an older version of kindlegen), your books might be MOBI only (no KF8 version automatically available).

Jane A
07-03-2012, 04:56 PM
I tried to download the latest version (because of the expiry notice) and it hung up. If I try to download it again from the Amazon website, will it update me using my current registration or will I lose that? I've never upgraded from my original download, I'm still using 1.6.

CWatkinsNash
07-03-2012, 05:08 PM
I tried to download the latest version (because of the expiry notice) and it hung up. If I try to download it again from the Amazon website, will it update me using my current registration or will I lose that? I've never upgraded from my original download, I'm still using 1.6.

It did that to me the first time too. I was able to shut down K4PC, restart it, got the update prompt again and that time it worked. Probably just a server hiccup.

Either way, as long as you install over top of the old version (via download or the update prompt), the registration should stay intact.

DiapDealer
07-03-2012, 05:14 PM
I almost always ran into trouble when letting the auto-update do it's thing. I always manage to get stuck in a funky "you need to update/restart the app" loop of redundancy loop. I've had much better luck (over many, many upgrades) just downloading the new version manually and installing it manually, right over top of the existing installation.

Blossom
07-03-2012, 06:14 PM
I almost always ran into trouble when letting the auto-update do it's thing. I always manage to get stuck in a funky "you need to update/restart the app" loop of redundancy loop.

Yep me too! This happens when two update processes are running. You can fix it by closing the program and then use Task Manager to close the updater then when you start K4PC and it asks if you want to update decline and then when it asks a second time accept and it will update correctly.

JSWolf
07-03-2012, 08:28 PM
But yes, if you have an older Kindle device that doesn't support KF8, you're looking at the extra step of converting to plain mobi first. No way around that unless you revert to an earlier version of the app (< 1.9.0) or use the ebook files that are sent directly to your device.

I thought AZW3 had both KF8/Mobi inside and the same file could be read on any Kindle.

DiapDealer
07-03-2012, 09:28 PM
I thought AZW3 had both KF8/Mobi inside and the same file could be read on any Kindle.
No. Only the output of Kindlegen (and the experimental calibre tweak) produces the combination MOBI/KF8 files. That's what gets uploaded to Amazon by the publisher/e-book creator. Amazon is not delivering those combo files to any customers. The customer gets a regular old Amazon MOBI/AZW if their device/app can't handle KF8 (or if the ebook wasn't created with KF8 support). If their device can handle KF8 (and KF8 is available), they get a stand-alone(ish) KF8 file (which may—but certainly doesn't have to—be named with an AZW3 extension.

I repeat ... no combination MOBI/KF8 files are being delivered to customer devices/apps by Amazon. It's either/or depending on the device/app's capabilities.

EDIT: However... a combination file built by kindlegen is readable on any Amazon device/app if you would happen to distribute one yourself.