Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-15-2007, 01:08 AM   #1
SluggyJohnson
SluggyJohnson began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Prs-505
Red face Hello from a slightly nervous Newbie

Hi.!!, a slightly nervous Newbie here.

I'm nervous because i've just bought a Sony eReader from the US for the Mrs for christmas. Thought it would be a good idea to put all her favorite books in one place.

Only problem is after reading the numerous posts on file conversions etc etc i'm even more confused than ever.

I want to buy the latest novels (romantic stuff) on it for her, but what format should i buy (every website i go on allows you a choice of 3, microsoft, adobe and another one) yet all everyone talks about is LIT,RTF,TXT etc.

Can anyone explain in plain english, the process from start to finish please..?
SluggyJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 02:04 AM   #2
ElaHuguet
iLiad freak
ElaHuguet doesn't litterElaHuguet doesn't litterElaHuguet doesn't litter

Device: iRex iLiad
If you buy in Microsoft (.LIT format), then you can use the program ConvertLit (very easy to use) to "explode" the file (explode because it becomes several files instead of just one), and then you'll find one of them is an html file that you can: open that file with MS Word and do a "save as" RTF (rich text format)*, or you can use another program like BookDesigner and convert it into several different formats (the special one the Sony Reader uses, LRF, or RTF again, etc.).

*Before saving you might want to clean it up a little, depending on how it looks. You can always load it into the Reader and see if it needs some extra formatting or not.

TXT is plain text format, which is the simplest format of them all, but it loses anything special, like bold lettering, italics, different font sizes for headings, etc.

If you go for using BookDesigner or something similar, there are many MobileReaders who can help you out with the process.
ElaHuguet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2007, 05:00 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Just a quick note before I explain. You will need to do with with Windows as you will need an activated copy of MS Reader and Internet Explorer to download MS Reader format ebooks if you choose to do it that way.

Your best bet if you are not purchasing from The eBook Store is to purchase MS Reader (LIT) format and then use ConvertLIT to convert to a DRM free LIT. Do not explode. That will give you a bunch of files that will be harder to convert to LRF. Then you can use LIbprs500's lit2lrf to convert it to LRF very easily.

I use (most of the time)...

Code:
lit2lrf --header --right-margin=0 --left-margin=0 --wordspace=1 --base-font-size=10.5 filename.lit
The --font-delta value sometimes has to be changed to fit what I want. So sometimes I do have to do it more then once to convert.

I suggest you read the following threadsto get more of an idea what's what....

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11618

P.S. You can find ConvertLIT via a Google search. We cannot give you explicit instructions how to use ConvertLIT. Sorry.

Last edited by JSWolf; 12-15-2007 at 05:39 AM. Reason: to correct the lit2lrf string
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 05:10 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Umm Jon --font-delta doesn't do anything anymore unless you also pass --base-font-size=0
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 09:51 AM   #5
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
If you are feeling nervous then start slowly.

1. If Mrs Johnson likes classics then you can download our lrf-formatted books in the books upload section for free. (She just might like some of the older romances.)
2. Check out the Sony Connect store. They sell lrf books, so won't need any conversion. Several other sellers are now offering books in lrf versions too.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2007, 08:44 PM   #6
SluggyJohnson

Ok, thanks for the info guys. One thing that is troubling me is the activation process. Do i have to activate the prs-505 for microsoft reader via the website. Will it accept a Sony model..? If i do activate it with microsoft, will i be tied to .lit files from then on..?

Just feeling like i've bought a dead duck here...
Old 12-16-2007, 09:02 PM   #7
Milton
Milton began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
You'll be Fine

I just ordered mine and am pleased with the amount of free books that are formatted for the Sony available both here and other sites such as manybooks.net to go along with the pay site at Sony.
Milton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 09:27 PM   #8
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggyJohnson View Post
Ok, thanks for the info guys. One thing that is troubling me is the activation process. Do i have to activate the prs-505 for microsoft reader via the website. Will it accept a Sony model..? If i do activate it with microsoft, will i be tied to .lit files from then on..?

Just feeling like i've bought a dead duck here...
The MS Reader program will run on your Windows PC only. It will not run on the Sony Reader and LIT format books will not work on Sony Readers. They must be converted to a format that the Sony supports before you can read them on the Reader.

Follow Jon's suggestions above. It will become a lot clearer then.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 08:12 AM   #9
SluggyJohnson

Slightly more confident noob, hits his next obstacle.

Ok, again thanks for the info guy's. Finally got my head around the converting files etc etc.

Next question is, i've bought a medical ebook with lots of diagrams and images in it. I'm using LIbPrs500 to convert the .lit files to .lrf but there's no images in the finished file.

Where am i going wrong here..?

Any ideas...?
Old 12-18-2007, 01:04 PM   #10
Astropin
Connoisseur
Astropin is on a distinguished road

Device: PRS-505, N800
Quote:
I want to buy the latest novels (romantic stuff) on it for her, but what format should i buy (every website i go on allows you a choice of 3, microsoft, adobe and another one) yet all everyone talks about is LIT,RTF,TXT etc.

Can anyone explain in plain english, the process from start to finish please..?
Was nobody paying attention? He wants to buy romantic novels for his wifes 505..........simply purchase them from the Sony ebook store: http://ebookstore.sony.com/ Couldn't be any easier than that!
Astropin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 02:12 PM   #11
SluggyJohnson

Alas, i'm in the UK. no Ebookstore here.
Old 12-18-2007, 03:00 PM   #12
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Astropin, had you been paying attention then you would have seen that I had already mentioned the sony ebook store.

If you are not in the US then there is a workaround. A forum member, Leaping Gnome, will buy sony ebook store gift vouchers for you. He accepts Paypal. Just pm him.

It is also worth checking other ebook stores online. More of them are selling in lrf format.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 03:56 PM   #13
dcalder
Zealot
dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Sony PRS-300/Kindle Keyboard/iPad Mini
Fictionwise carries some/all of the ebooks from Harlequin (North American equivalent of Mills & Boon), or of course you can go to eHarlequin.com and buy direct. Just buy the Microsoft Reader ones and you'll be able to convert them, as mentioned elsewhere in this thread. Both sites offer a number of bundles that will let you get a bunch of "themed" books for a really good price. I have to admit, however, that the eHarlequin shop is probably a little easier to navigate for someone who's both (a) not used to eBook shopping, and (b) not used to romance novel shopping! Both shops have sales on right now, but the eHarlequin one is a straightforward 35% off holiday-themed books & eBooks.

Hope this helps, as it seemed to me that you were wondering as much about where to find romance eBooks in a usable format as you were wondering about eBook format choice in general...
dcalder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 07:01 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Ok, again thanks for the info guy's. Finally got my head around the converting files etc etc.

Next question is, i've bought a medical ebook with lots of diagrams and images in it. I'm using LIbPrs500 to convert the .lit files to .lrf but there's no images in the finished file.

Where am i going wrong here..?

Any ideas...?
What is the lit2lrf command you are using to do the conversion from LIT to LRF? Have you removed the DRM?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 10:16 PM   #15
jonnyc
jonnyc began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-505
ConvertLit troubles

I recently downloaded a book from BooksonBoard in microsoft reader format. My intention was to convert it to a LRF file to read on the reader however im slightly confused. I used litconverter and the .lit was expanded into a file with multiple items in it. So i assumed i would grab the HTML file in that folder as it was the only one that appeared to contain the book. I then used libprs to convert it to lrf however the formatting was changed from the original file ? is there something i missed here or is this to be expected ?

Is there anyway to keep the original formatting ?
jonnyc is offline   Reply With Quote