Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-31-2007, 08:42 PM   #1
LordHokage
LordHokage began at the beginning.

Device: none yet
Newbie Question!

Hi

Recently, I ordered a PRS-505 from ebay and I'm thinking about purchasing some ebooks right now. The problem is, I don't know what format to purchase the books in. When I go to ebooks.com, I get 3 formats, Adobe, Mobipocket and Microsoft reader. I know that generally pdfs are bad if you dont use other software to reconvert it, so that leaves the mobipocket and microsoft reader formats. Which one should I purchase?

Thanks in advance!
LordHokage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 08:55 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
FYI ebooks.com is probably one of the most expensive places you can buy from, so you might want to check prices elsewhere to see if Fictionwise or Books On Board or someone has the title you want first.

That said you have basically two options for 'Secure' (DRM'd) books. Buy from Sony (LRX) or buy the MS Reader (LIT) version then break the DRM (look for ConvertLIT) and convert using lit2lrf (look for libprs500). Note Fictionwise sells most/all of their non-DRM 'Multiformat' titles in Sony (LRF) format too & for public domain classics there are a few good Free sources including right here at Mobile Read.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2008, 12:17 AM   #3
LordHokage
LordHokage began at the beginning.

Device: none yet
AnemicOak, you are truly the best! I did what you said and I saved $4! woot I gave you karma points for being so informative and nice!
LordHokage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 12:29 AM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Glad you saved some money.

Ebooks.com is a good place to check if you can't find the book in LIT format elsewhere. I've found a couple books there that I couldn't find in that format elsewhere for some reason.
Old 01-01-2008, 12:41 AM   #5
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Great tips, good to save money
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2008, 02:00 PM   #6
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHokage View Post
Hi

Recently, I ordered a PRS-505 from ebay and I'm thinking about purchasing some ebooks right now. The problem is, I don't know what format to purchase the books in. When I go to ebooks.com, I get 3 formats, Adobe, Mobipocket and Microsoft reader. I know that generally pdfs are bad if you dont use other software to reconvert it, so that leaves the mobipocket and microsoft reader formats. Which one should I purchase?

Thanks in advance!
You might also try http://www.baen.com. You can get free books from their free library (SciFi) in any of several formats. I usually get .rtf & convert to .lrf using BookDesigner. They also have books for sell ($4 - $6 usually) plus you should check out their WebScriptions.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 02:06 PM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Yes, Baen's a great suggestion. I usually get the LIT books & run them through lit2lrf using libprs500.