Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-31-2007, 09:47 AM   #1
alexxxm
Addict
alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Rocket; Hiebook; N700; Sony 505; Kindle DX ...
case modding

my new 505 is a great experience in reading (currently on: Postsingular, by R.Rucker),
but without the availability of user input I'm suffering a bit - I always like to take notes while reading.
So I was thinking of possible ways of adding some slim blocknotes in the case (though I fear a pen wont be able to fit).

It could be handy to have a thread where people describes all the ways they modded it - be it stickers, handgrips, new cases or others... it could give us new ideas.
So, did you modded it yet? Show it here!

Alessandro
alexxxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 12:26 PM   #2
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Alexxxm there is a whole subforum set up for discussion on cases and acesories for the sony readers that people have bought or made themselves.

Its just at the top of her in "sub-forums" its called "reader accesories"
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2007, 12:38 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
Alexxxm there is a whole subforum set up for discussion on cases and acesories for the sony readers that people have bought or made themselves.

Its just at the top of her in "sub-forums" its called "reader accesories"
I don't think that's what the original poster is referring to. More this kind of thing.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 02:50 PM   #4
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

You dont think he is reffering to making his own case or modding the existing case??
Well he called the topic "case modding" and talked about adding somewhere to keep pen and paper to his case and asked if anyone else had ideas for modifying 'it'( by which he means the case as reffered to in the title and his text) or examples of mods already carried out.

So I assumed he meant mods to the case of the reader...dont know why I thought that and the accesories subforum does say "Storage cards, cases, etc. - original, 3rd party and homebrew"
so it seemed the natural place for it all

Last edited by stustaff; 12-31-2007 at 02:53 PM.
Old 12-31-2007, 03:18 PM   #5
recycledelectron
Groupie
recycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-books

Device: Lifebook T5010
I think I'm already using what the original poster is referring to.

I bought a little folder that's supposed to have a spiral date book plus a pad in it at Office Depot for $40, and pulled out the spiral date book to insert my PRS-505.

A pin to hit reset and several memory cards fit in a zippered pocket, behind the reader. (CAUTION: THE ZIPPER SCRATCHES THE BACK OF THE PRS-505 CASE, IMAGINE WHAT IT WOULD DO TO THE SCREEN IF YOU PUT THE READER IN CARELESSLY.)

Spaces are provided for a pad and a pen for taking notes.

a cable that splits from a USB-A to both a USB-Mini-B and a PSP-Charger also fits. I can charge from anywhere, and transfer files anywhere.

I wanted to insert a battery, and looked at the rechargeable Li-Ion USB power packs. One would fit behind the PRS-505 in the debit card slots, but I didn't add it, due to cost.

See the attached photos.

The covers says "at a glance" which has to do with the brand. They have several styles. After I got mine, I found one that has the slot I use to hold the PRS-505 in a different place. That went to a good friend of mine. They also offer several colors (black, burgundy, & navy.)

Andy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	S6304343.JPG
Views:	421
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	8617   Click image for larger version

Name:	S6304344.JPG
Views:	392
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	8618   Click image for larger version

Name:	S6304345.JPG
Views:	399
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	8619   Click image for larger version

Name:	S6304346.JPG
Views:	436
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	8620   Click image for larger version

Name:	S6304347.JPG
Views:	384
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	8621   Click image for larger version

Name:	S6304349.JPG
Views:	409
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	8623  
recycledelectron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2008, 02:30 PM   #6
alexxxm
Addict
alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Rocket; Hiebook; N700; Sony 505; Kindle DX ...
thank you for the input, everyone!
Yes stustaff, I know about the other subforum, but I thought it more pertinent here, since I wasnt thinking about buying a new case, more about modifying the standard one.
Beautiful link HarryT, but slightly eccessive for my tastes!
I think I'll follow Andy's hint, if I'm unable to modify the present case.

Alessandro
alexxxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 02:44 PM   #7
stustaff
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexxxm View Post
thank you for the input, everyone!
Yes stustaff, I know about the other subforum, but I thought it more pertinent here, since I wasnt thinking about buying a new case, more about modifying the standard one.

Alessandro
Sorry I thought that was the whole purpose of that subforum, isnt that what the "homebrew" part of that forum description means?
Cases software etc that people have adapted or created themselves = homebrew. isnt it?

I'm going to feel such a fool when someone points out that isnt what homebrew means