Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-30-2007, 12:39 PM   #1
jennaclaire
Enthusiast
jennaclaire began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
wowio font size?

This is day 1 with my reader 505, so if this is a stupid question, I promise to learn quickly.

But... I just logged onto wowio and downloaded Stephen Hawking's Theory of Everything. It was somewhat a test of life outside Sony Connect and also, well... I like big scary non-fiction books.

So it works and its over on my Reader but holy cow the font size is small. Zoom doesn't seem to do anything. Is there something I am missing to make the font size bigger? Unravelling the universe at font size 6 might be even more painful.

thanks all.
jennaclaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 12:51 PM   #2
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennaclaire View Post
This is day 1 with my reader 505, so if this is a stupid question, I promise to learn quickly.

But... I just logged onto wowio and downloaded Stephen Hawking's Theory of Everything. It was somewhat a test of life outside Sony Connect and also, well... I like big scary non-fiction books.

So it works and its over on my Reader but holy cow the font size is small. Zoom doesn't seem to do anything. Is there something I am missing to make the font size bigger? Unravelling the universe at font size 6 might be even more painful.

thanks all.
Wowio only use A4 PDF files. The 505 is much smaller than A4. You need to convert this file into something else: LRF would be the best choice in this case.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2007, 01:06 PM   #3
jennaclaire
Enthusiast

thanks hadrien. glad its not just me and there is a reason for it.
any hints on how to convert it? i've been reading through here for a bit but still haven't worked out the starter steps, i think.
Old 12-30-2007, 01:35 PM   #4
jennaclaire
Enthusiast

Ok, ignore me. I just found HarryT's guide and am going through it. hopefully i can get this going. thanks for the help, Hadrien.
Old 12-30-2007, 03:22 PM   #5
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Where did you find HarryT's guide? Does it give you an answer? I, too, found Wowio's font size much too small even after converting it from PDF to LRF format.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2007, 03:46 PM   #6
jennaclaire
Enthusiast

voila

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10313

thanks to HarryT for spelling it all out... most appreciated.
Old 12-30-2007, 05:53 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I've converted a Wowio PDF using PDFLRF and it came out pretty good. Quite readable.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13135
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 06:28 PM   #8
jennaclaire
Enthusiast

Maybe its me. And maybe its day 1 of Sony PRS-505, but this isn't working either.
I have the ghostscript thing installed. I run the pdflrfwin-0.99 tool thing and i get an output that is empty... as in 0 kilobytes. nada. what am i doing wrong?

i just wanted to read books. shame on sony for making it so dang challenging.
Old 12-31-2007, 03:26 AM   #9
gmanacsa
Enthusiast
gmanacsa began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500, X61T Tablet, iPhone, OLPC XO-1
Quote:
Have you tried reading it in landscape viewing mode? The text is noticeably larger in this orientation. On the PRS-500, holding down the size/zoom button for a couple of seconds makes it toggle between portrait and landscape orientation. I assume this is also true for the 505.
gmanacsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 11:00 AM   #10
jennaclaire
Enthusiast

yeah, it sort of works. problem is that because it is still so zoomed out the font itself is really light in comparison to all the other ebooks. its certainly more readable, but not ideal.
Old 01-09-2008, 12:40 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Maybe its me. And maybe its day 1 of Sony PRS-505, but this isn't working either.
I have the ghostscript thing installed. I run the pdflrfwin-0.99 tool thing and i get an output that is empty... as in 0 kilobytes. nada. what am i doing wrong?

i just wanted to read books. shame on sony for making it so dang challenging.
Don't use Ghostscript and pdflrf will work fine. Also don't forget to use the trim option to get rid of excess borders and you'll need to preview to check your options.
Old 01-11-2008, 03:16 PM   #12
jennaclaire
Enthusiast

Doesn't work still. I think there may be copyright protection on the file (?) which is making it come back as empty each time. What a bummer. I was actually hoping to finally understand "everything"... at least in "theory."
Old 01-11-2008, 03:18 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Doesn't work still. I think there may be copyright protection on the file (?) which is making it come back as empty each time. What a bummer. I was actually hoping to finally understand "everything"... at least in "theory."
I have use pdflrf on Wowio PDF and it's worked fine. I did not use Ghostscript. pdflrf does not actually need it.
Old 01-11-2008, 04:05 PM   #14
jennaclaire
Enthusiast

Wow, this whole process is humbling.
Ok, it worked. Kind of. I did what you told me and previewed and then pulled in the left and right margins 12 points, which seemed to make it look like it fit well. converted ok. pushed it over onto the reader and now its readable, which is good, but it has done weird page breaks sort of. So now its showing me extra space at the top of the page and then cutting the page off so when i hit the forward button its broken into 2 half pages next. I am presuming this means I need to trim the top and bottom too to get it to show right, but the preview looked totally normal, so now I am not sure how to tell when I have it right for the display.

am i just dumber than the average user or what?!
Old 01-11-2008, 04:15 PM   #15
jennaclaire
Enthusiast

Actually, i will answer that myself.
Yep. dumber than the average bear. I just saw the "scale" option and it was set to fit by width. changed it to fit to page and now it worked.
Jon, thank you. I had given up, honestly. You just made my day. And my Sony Reader a lot more populated. Thank you.