Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-29-2007, 02:58 PM   #1
SanFranMatt
SanFranMatt began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PR505
Uninstall Sony eBook Library?

How do I uninstall the program that comes with the Sony Reader? I don't see an uninstall option, and it's not in the Add/Remove Programs. I've searched for a half hour and found nothing. Quite frustrating, although I'm sure it's something stupid that I'm overlooking
SanFranMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 03:12 PM   #2
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
I'm running WinXP and in the Control Panel's Add/Remove Programs list is shown "eBook Library by Sony" with a size 11.63 Mbytes. You might look at your list, sort by size, and see if you can find it that way. Also, that's the name of the version of the program Sony has had since about October. Before that, it was called Connect, I think.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2007, 03:16 PM   #3
SanFranMatt
SanFranMatt began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PR505
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
I'm running WinXP and in the Control Panel's Add/Remove Programs list is shown "eBook Library by Sony" with a size 11.63 Mbytes. You might look at your list, sort by size, and see if you can find it that way. Also, that's the name of the version of the program Sony has had since about October. Before that, it was called Connect, I think.
Thank you! I looked for Connect, Reader and Sony but for whatever reason I never noticed eBook....I was about to throw my computer out the window!!!
SanFranMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 08:22 AM   #4
Shyny
Shyny began at the beginning.

Device: none
Just wanted to tell anybody that for uninstalling MAC version you need
to open terminal and then:

" sudo /Library/eBookLibrary/uninstall-eBookLibrary.sh "

That's it

PS: on my MBPro 1.5.8 - fully updated since now - does not work, and I think
it won't on Snow Leopard too!)

Cheers from Italy
Shyny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 06:49 PM   #5
brogers
brogers began at the beginning.

Device: prs-300
Updated Mac uninstall command

Just wanted to drop in and update this thread with the current uninstall command for Mac.

sudo /Library/Reader\ Library/uninstall-ReaderLibrary.sh

HTH
brett
brogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2010, 12:55 PM   #6
rmm200
Groupie
rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-600
I have no idea what your reasons are for uninstalling, but I just want to note the software can be handy for browsing the Sony store and downloading books (free and purchased) from there. You do not need to uninstall to keep the software from running; just take it out of the startup list. I did that first time it auto-launched when I attached my 600.

Robert
rmm200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 10:18 PM   #7
iMario
iMario began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
I decided to remove it as I find annoying having to shut it down every time I plug reader. There is no Reader Library name in the list of apps that are to be ran at startup on Macs. That makes sense as the Reader Library launches only when Reader is connected to the computer, which means that there is a daemon running in the background and if I' not using the software at all, it's just a waste of resources, IMO
iMario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 10:20 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMario View Post
I decided to remove it as I find annoying having to shut it down every time I plug reader. There is no Reader Library name in the list of apps that are to be ran at startup on Macs. That makes sense as the Reader Library launches only when Reader is connected to the computer, which means that there is a daemon running in the background and if I' not using the software at all, it's just a waste of resources, IMO
Reader Library is the only way to get the free eBooks from Sony.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 12:59 AM   #9
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMario View Post
I don't know if this is the same for Macs and PCs but I stopped the program from running by changing its name to SonyCrapProgram.exe instead of Reader Library.exe. I get error messages the the Reader Library can't be found, but at least it doesn't open. Perhaps you can do something similar.

I wanted it there for the occasional time I bought something from the Reader Store.

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 06:06 AM   #10
pietvo
Reader
pietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo Aura 2, iPhone, iPad
LOL
pietvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 04:30 PM   #11
stevet
Enthusiast
stevet began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS600 Touch
I don't have Sony Reader Library running (Since it refuses to run properly on my Windows 7 64-bit laptop), so I uninstalled it and use claibre. However, the first time I tried to transfer an ePub drm'd book using ADE, it was unreadable on the PRS600. I had to reinstall the Sony Reader Library, then stop it and not let it start up. It doesn't need to run, but evidently it installs dlls or some other system file that ADE needs to properly recognize an authorized book. So you might not be able to uninstall it and make that work.
stevet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 12:52 AM   #12
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevet View Post
I don't have Sony Reader Library running (Since it refuses to run properly on my Windows 7 64-bit laptop), so I uninstalled it and use claibre. However, the first time I tried to transfer an ePub drm'd book using ADE, it was unreadable on the PRS600. I had to reinstall the Sony Reader Library, then stop it and not let it start up. It doesn't need to run, but evidently it installs dlls or some other system file that ADE needs to properly recognize an authorized book. So you might not be able to uninstall it and make that work.
I don't believe that you need the software at all, but your device does have to authorized to view ADE content. I am told you cab authorize it via Sony Reader or ADE software.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 03:17 PM   #13
iMario
iMario began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
I don't know if this is the same for Macs and PCs but I stopped the program from running by changing its name to SonyCrapProgram.exe instead of Reader Library.exe. I get error messages the the Reader Library can't be found, but at least it doesn't open. Perhaps you can do something similar.
-Marcy
Nah, Mac are tougher when it comes to tricking them with plain file renaming. It would not do the trick. Anyway, should I ever need it, I will install it again
so far, I'm more than satisfied with Calibre
iMario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 10:22 PM   #14
movieking
movieking began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505
It's so annoying that the reader software now launches everytime I connect my ereader. AFAIK, it is only a recent thing, since I don't recall it happening before. So is there a way to stop this from happening, or will I just delete the program? I am guessing by the responses that I'll have to delete (I'm on Windows)
movieking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 11:06 PM   #15
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Windows?

Run msconfig and uncheck the Library launcher.

(at least, that's how it works on XP; if your particular flavor of Windows doesn't do it that way, look up what the equivalent is and do that)
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote