View Full Version : Testing epub book on readers?

GraciousMe
06-15-2012, 12:43 PM
My epub book is almost done. (Iīm Working in Sigil.)

I have run epubcheck and validator, no big problems there. Just some more work on code and pictures and I am finished.

Now I would like to try it out on readers. I have no tablet PC or iPad, only a Sony Reader and Adobe Digital Editions.

Are there other software readers to try it on? I guess I should also ask friends who have iPads or similar machines.

HarryT
06-15-2012, 12:49 PM
It's probably a lot more important that you create a Kindle version of your book and make sure that it works well on that. Authors very often report that well over 90% of their sales are from Amazon.

GraciousMe
06-15-2012, 04:11 PM
Where I live Kindle is insignificant, so that would be incorrect for me.

AlPe
06-15-2012, 04:23 PM
@GraciousMe: I suggest you to install Lucifox add-on for Firefox, and open your EPUB there. It is a quite picky EPUB reader, so you will get an extra "validation" round, plus the possibility of testing it in a resizable window. (The only notable limitation is that it does not support SVG images.) A similar test can be done with the calibre ebook viewer --- but I prefer Lucifox.

Unfortunately, there are still many things that would require testing on a physical device. Here in Italy we have founded a nonprofit organization, the eBook Club Italia (http://ebci.it/) that, among other wonderful initiatives, offers help to authors by testing an eBook on several different eReaders, owned by members or by the association itself.

If you need help, you can contact me with a private message.

AlPe
06-15-2012, 04:27 PM
Where I live Kindle is insignificant

Now I'd like to know what country you are living in, so I could move there :cool:

Toxaris
06-15-2012, 05:31 PM
Well, here in the Netherlands the Kindle is also very, very small but growing.

You should at least test your ePUB in ADE, as most readers use that.

wannabee
06-16-2012, 09:18 AM

It's not where you live which is significant for most authors. It's where you sell the most books.

HarryT
06-16-2012, 09:19 AM
It's not where you live which is significant for most authors. It's where you sell the most books.

Perhaps the OP's book is in a language other than English. Kindle sales may well not be significant if that's the case.

weatherwax
06-16-2012, 11:15 AM
I have an Acer tablet and a Sony eReader and I use Calibre to manage and convert books. On my PC I test them in ADE (epub) and Kindle for PC (mobi). They look different in each application, so there is no way to make sure they look the same everywhere, if that's what you are trying to do.
But looking at posts in different forums, it would be worth checking the books on an Ipad as well.

DaleDe
06-16-2012, 12:05 PM

This is the reason we suggest adding location to your profile. It is hard to provide good advice without knowing where you live.

Dale

JSWolf
06-18-2012, 06:25 PM
Use Adobe Digital Editions to test your ePub. Also use your Sony Reader to see how it looks on a 6" eink screen. That will do it for at least 90% of the readers/apps out there for ePub.

GraciousMe
06-20-2012, 06:52 AM
Correct, my book is not in English.

I should make it very clear that I have no physical readers.

Trying the book in Adobe Digital Editions or Sony Reader does not look good (= not as it looks in Sigil).

However, Calibre shows the same as Sigil...

?

Doitsu
06-20-2012, 07:07 AM
Trying the book in Adobe Digital Editions or Sony Reader does not look good (= not as it looks in Sigil).
In that case you'll probably need to embed a font for your mystery language, if you want to share your book with others.
For example, this epub (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1927237&postcount=13) supports Turkish, Russian, Greek, Vietnamese and several other languages not supported by ADE. (Even with an embedded font, ADE does not support Arabic or Hebrew.)

However, Calibre shows the same as Sigil...?
That's because they use the same rendering engine.

GraciousMe
06-20-2012, 07:13 AM
In that case you'll probably need to embed a font for your mystery language,

The language presents no problems.

ADE and Reader donīt show Italic and Text align.

Jellby
06-20-2012, 07:38 AM
If you share a sample epub that shows your problems (it doesn't have to be the real book if you are concerned about copyright, you can replace all text with "lorem ipsum (http://www.lipsum.com/)", as long as it reproduces the issues with ADE and the Sony Reader) we can have a look and tell you whether it's a bug in the programs or a problem with your book.

Freeshadow
06-20-2012, 07:39 AM

It presents no problems on your PC, because your OS has the language support for it. Wether stand-alone readers support all needed glyphs is a different topic.

as far as alignment is concerned, check epub subforum for css-snippet examples

Toxaris
06-20-2012, 07:46 AM
As I also said in your other thread, if ADE does not display the italic and text align, there is probably an issue in your stylesheet. ADE is very picky and the viewer in Sigil and Calibre very forgiving.
Please post your stylesheet.

mrmikel
06-20-2012, 09:32 AM

The above may not necessarily be true if you have used calibre to create the text.

One of the objections to Calibre, as wonderful as it is, is that in order to achieve cross platform compatibility, it does things in complicated ways. Instead of simply using bold or italic, it creates whole new styles and series of styles. Then it throws in a number of <div class="bs2">s, for example, in order to display ordinary text.

These cascading styles can make it appear that things don't work, when in fact there is an active style which already covers the paragraph in question. This could be the cause of your troubles, as the rendering engines of calibre and Sigil are not the same as in the readers or Reader Library or Kindle for PC.

One other possibility is that reader software may not make any attempt to guess if your code is defective, even to the wrong case being used. Sigil and Calibre's rendering engines I think make more of an attempt to guess, and may work, even though the code is wrong.

HarryT
06-20-2012, 10:54 AM

What language is your book in? That's not a secret, is it?

Freeshadow
06-20-2012, 11:14 AM
What language is your book in? That's not a secret, is it? Unless there's an Elder Seal on the front cover ;)

theducks
06-21-2012, 04:24 PM

That means you have a stylesheet error.

ADE is not forgiving and will ignore a style or the whole stylesheet if there is an error.
:bulb2: The w3c CSS validation service http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/#validate_by_upload is useful :thumbsup:

Look for a typo or a missing or wrongly used colon or semicolon

BTW
you need to imbed the Italic version of a font if you want to use that face
and
you need to embed the Bold_Italic if you want to use that face.

(you could possibly need all 4 faces )

Toxaris
06-22-2012, 03:55 AM
This issue is solved. He/she posted the stylesheet in the other thread and there was a quote too much.

GraciousMe
06-23-2012, 01:39 PM
BTW
you need to imbed the Italic version of a font if you want to use that face
and
you need to embed the Bold_Italic if you want to use that face.

You mean if I want to use a specific font for the book?

Iīd love to, but this time around I will practice being flexible and not do that, just suggest something general like Garamond / serif.

GraciousMe
06-23-2012, 01:41 PM
What language is your book in?

Swedish.

And I wonder if I should insert some code about the language, or if it takes care of itself...

AlPe
06-23-2012, 04:13 PM
Insert it in the <language> tag of the <metadata> section of the OPF file. The correct code for Swedish is 'sv'.

JSWolf
06-23-2012, 06:23 PM
The above may not necessarily be true if you have used calibre to create the text.

One of the objections to Calibre, as wonderful as it is, is that in order to achieve cross platform compatibility, it does things in complicated ways. Instead of simply using bold or italic, it creates whole new styles and series of styles. Then it throws in a number of <div class="bs2">s, for example, in order to display ordinary text.

These cascading styles can make it appear that things don't work, when in fact there is an active style which already covers the paragraph in question. This could be the cause of your troubles, as the rendering engines of calibre and Sigil are not the same as in the readers or Reader Library or Kindle for PC.

One other possibility is that reader software may not make any attempt to guess if your code is defective, even to the wrong case being used. Sigil and Calibre's rendering engines I think make more of an attempt to guess, and may work, even though the code is wrong.

Garbage in, garbage out. Calibre is only as good as the garbage input to it. A lot of Mobipocket eBooks are full of garbage code and thus, Calibre gives similar code to the ePub. I've never had Calibre convert such that an italics/bold did not work as it should have regardless of how messy the code was.

DiapDealer
06-24-2012, 08:36 AM
A lot of Mobipocket eBooks are full of garbage code and thus, Calibre gives similar code to the ePub.
Why do you insist on saying stuff like this? MOBI is no more predisposed to being "full of garbage code" than any other format is. Not supporting CSS means that there will be much more in the way of inline attributes—spans and font tags and the like. It certainly doesn't look as good; I'll grant you that. And while that's unfortunate and not as "pretty" to look at or as "editable" as xhtml with some subtly applied CSS might be, it's not "garbage code," it's the code that's required to make a MOBI function.

Garbage code is garbage code... and no format is immune or predisposed to it. They're all equally susceptible.

AlPe
06-24-2012, 09:51 AM
I agree, except for:

no format is immune or predisposed to it. They're all equally susceptible.

Counterexample: THIS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brainfuck) (Turing-complete, but the name says it all...)

PS: I hope this off-topic-y, "calm-down-guys" post is appreciated for its nature, i.e., for being off-topic and hilarious :xmas:

PS 2: thanks to the "family friendly rules" of MR, I had to remove the name of the programming language (!) previously cited in the post...

DiapDealer
06-24-2012, 10:16 AM
Well, other than not being an eBook format (which is what I meant by "no format")... it is quite humorous.

Not that anyone was excited enough to warrant a "calm-down-guys" post. Just par for the course. ;)

GraciousMe
06-24-2012, 10:17 AM
Insert it in the <language> tag of the <metadata> section of the OPF file. The correct code for Swedish is 'sv'.

So that is enough, for the whole book?

No need for this?

<body xml:lang="SV" xmlns:xml="http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/namespace">

I see I have it in some of my chapters. (Still in the process of un-messing it all.)

AlPe
06-24-2012, 10:24 AM
That does not hurt, but AFAIK all EPUB reading softwares read the language from the metadata section of the OPF file (as required by the EPUB specs) so the xml:lang tag in the pages is essentially ignored.

JSWolf
06-24-2012, 10:58 AM
Why do you insist on saying stuff like this? MOBI is no more predisposed to being "full of garbage code" than any other format is. Not supporting CSS means that there will be much more in the way of inline attributes—spans and font tags and the like. It certainly doesn't look as good; I'll grant you that. And while that's unfortunate and not as "pretty" to look at or as "editable" as xhtml with some subtly applied CSS might be, it's not "garbage code," it's the code that's required to make a MOBI function.

Garbage code is garbage code... and no format is immune or predisposed to it. They're all equally susceptible.

I know every eBook format can be full of garbage code. Just take a look at a lot of the ePubs from Smashwords. There, your garbage in, garbage out.

But more often when I look at the code of a Mobipocket from a BPH vs an ePub from a BPH, the ePub is OK and the Mobipocket can easily be a mess.

DiapDealer
06-24-2012, 11:31 AM
But more often when I look at the code of a Mobipocket from a BPH vs an ePub from a BPH, the ePub is OK and the Mobipocket can easily be a mess.
I run into the same amount ugly retail ePub as I do ugly retail MOBI, myself. Perhaps we just buy from different publishers.