Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-27-2007, 08:13 PM   #1
jerseyboy
jerseyboy began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Unwelcome downloads

Here's an odd one. Got my 505 for Christmas, been enjoying it very much since. Have purchased a couple titles from Sony store, and downloaded a bunch of classics under the deal. Tonight, I noticed that in my Library listing, along with the dozen or so books I have selected from the Sony store, are about 15 or 20 of what appear to be chapters from the Koran. I didn't download these, and I have no interest in them. Nothing personal, just not interested. When I select them, and then try to delete them, the program freezes, and won't let me delete them. What gives? Anyone have a similar problem?

A related question: when I download the lrf files from the Sony store to my hard drive, where do they go? I can't find them, and if I can locate these files on my hard drive, perhaps I can delete them outside of the e-Reader program.

Thanks.
jerseyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 08:16 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I'm not sure where the files go. Search for *.lrx.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2007, 08:30 PM   #3
jerseyboy

Curioser and curioser...I found the lrf files on my hard drive. All the books I have bought/selected are there...but these unwelcome guests are not. I suppose that explains why I can't delete them from within the program--it can't find them. But how did these things get listed in my library, and how come I can click on them and read them if I want? And how do I get rid of them? Odd...
Old 12-27-2007, 08:51 PM   #4
Stanart
Addict
Stanart is a jewel in the roughStanart is a jewel in the roughStanart is a jewel in the roughStanart is a jewel in the roughStanart is a jewel in the roughStanart is a jewel in the roughStanart is a jewel in the roughStanart is a jewel in the roughStanart is a jewel in the roughStanart is a jewel in the roughStanart is a jewel in the rough

Device: Handspring Visor, Sony PRS-500 Reader
Click on one of the problem files to bring it up in the eBook Library. Then click on the little i in the upper right hand of the screen. You'll get information about the file including its location.
Stanart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 02:51 AM   #5
GatorDeb
Evangelist
GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: PW2 + HDX 8.9
Go to one of the ones you purchased on the software and click on the i, and go to that directory. Close the Reader software. Go up a directory and delete the library folder. Restart the reader. No more freezing. You will have to redownload your purchases. (I wish there was a download all function).
GatorDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2007, 11:23 AM   #6
jerseyboy

Thanks, friends for the suggestions. Using the "i", I was able to locate the unwelcome guests. They were in a completely different location than the ebooks I had purchased/downloaded from the Sony store. I deleted that folder and they were gone.

What remains is the mystery of how they got there in the first place. I have done a virus and spyware scan on the computer. It's clean. Anyone got any ideas?
Old 12-28-2007, 11:52 AM   #7
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
maybe they were on 505 already when it was purchased. A customer return, a rebuilt unit perhaps.
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 03:47 PM   #8
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyboy View Post
Thanks, friends for the suggestions. Using the "i", I was able to locate the unwelcome guests. They were in a completely different location than the ebooks I had purchased/downloaded from the Sony store. I deleted that folder and they were gone.

What remains is the mystery of how they got there in the first place. I have done a virus and spyware scan on the computer. It's clean. Anyone got any ideas?
What was the folder name and where was it located? These bits of information can help, y'know.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 04:01 PM   #9
jerseyboy

To Ervserver: A reasonable suggestion, except that (1) unless I was defrauded (always a possibility, I suppose, but I purchased from a very reputable dealer, and saw no signs of it being a recycled unit), I am very certain that what I got was a new in box 505--and I didn't see these files until I had been using the machine, and the program, for several days; and (2) the unwelcome files were on my computer's hard drive, not the 505. Weird, huh?

To DrMoze: Good point, and of course I didn't write it down. It was not the default directory that the ebooks I purchased from the Sony store were sent to. It was deep in my c: drive--under users/apps/documents/my ebooks, etc. something like that. Sort of like the normal default directory, but not. The only way I found it was by using the "i" icon; a windows search for *.lrx and *.lrf didn't disclose it.

All I can hypothesize is that somehow while I was online with the Sony store, putting my selections into my shopping cart, and then clicking download, at the same time something got crossed and I also downloaded some other guy's selections, as well.

Thanks, guys.
Old 12-29-2007, 11:16 AM   #10
spooky69
Stats:
spooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505
My guess would be that Sony is trying to convert people to Islam. I would give the books you see a read to figure out if you like them before you go further with this.
spooky69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 10:09 PM   #11
Nogg
Literate!
Nogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it is

Device: PRS-500
Is there anyone else in your house who has access to your computer? If something like that happened to me, I'd first expect it was a prank.
Nogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 12:09 AM   #12
spooky69
Stats:
spooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogg View Post
Is there anyone else in your house who has access to your computer? If something like that happened to me, I'd first expect it was a prank.
Yes. This is exact situation I am in constantly. It causes me no end to face.
Just to add poignancy to this situation to this situation, I already bought the Koran from the classics store. The intro is great. Enjoy having deleted that, maybe.

Last edited by spooky69; 12-30-2007 at 12:14 AM.
Old 12-30-2007, 12:22 AM   #13
spooky69
Stats:

Sue Sony.
Old 01-07-2008, 12:59 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by spooky69 View Post
Sue Sony.
Really BAD idea.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote