Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-27-2007, 05:56 AM   #1
idm747
idm747 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
PDF For 505

Hi guys....I'm pretty new around here so sorry if I haven't followed protocol or I'm starting a thread thats been repeated elsewhere. Can anybody advise me how to get pdf documents on to the 505 that are readable. Anytime I've loaded a pdf, the font is so small even in the top magnification setting, that I'm unable to read.

Thanks in advance

Iain
idm747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 08:56 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Do a search for pdflrf and use that to modify the PDF so it's readable.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2007, 10:19 AM   #3
spooky69
Stats:
spooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505
I will go a step further and tell you the settings that will actually make PDFs that are a collection of scanner images look good and work well on the Reader. Get the pdflrf program mentioned above and use these settings:

The ones to take note of here, moving downward are:
1. Setting "Rotation" to 0.
2. Having "Join pages" turned off
3. Changing "Colors" from 4 to 8.
4. "Scale" can be changed depending on how you want the PDF to look, but to display a whole page the PDF on one page of the Reader, set it to "Fit to page" or "Fit to height."

I just noticed that I have "Stretch" turned on here, which fills out the screen with the PDF if you have "Fit to height" or "Fit to width" set. I think you'd get the same effect from just using the "Fit to page" setting, and it might even give a sharper image if it is actually stretching it out to fit the page after shrinking it down (I doubt it).
Anyway, like I said, these are the settings to use for a PDF that is a collection of images, such as a scanned book. For manuals/technical stuff with a lot of text, there are certainly some better settings to use, but you'll just have to mess around and find what works best. I am pretty sure that there are some command line versions of this program, and I'd actually appreciate it if somebody could post a quick explanation of how to use the settings I just described using the command line options. I mean, I could probably figure it out myself, but I'd bet that somebody else has already gone down that long road.

-Crustachio, Leader of the 35th Smoke of Montague

Last edited by spooky69; 12-28-2007 at 12:54 PM.
spooky69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 10:45 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
And don't forget that f need be, play around with the trim settings to get rid of any extra margin.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote