Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-24-2007, 08:26 PM   #1
GatorDeb
Evangelist
GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: PW2 + HDX 8.9
How do you clean the screen?

Already got something stuck to it after 1 day of real use How do you all clean the screen?
GatorDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 08:46 PM   #2
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDeb View Post
Already got something stuck to it after 1 day of real use How do you all clean the screen?
I follow these instructions in the operating guide:

"Clean the Sony Reader's case with a soft cloth, such as a cleaning cloth for eyeglasses. If the Sony Reader's case becomes very dirty, clean it with a soft cloth slightly moistened with water or a mild detergent solution. Do not use any type of abrasive pad, scouring powder, or solvent, such as alcohol or benzene, as it may mar the finish of the case. Be careful not to let water get into Sony Reader from the opening near the connector. Clean the headphone plug periodically."
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2007, 08:52 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
A microfiber cloth is the best thing to use and keep one with you so you can clean it before it gets too dirty.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 10:28 AM   #4
GatorDeb
Evangelist
GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Those are instructions for the case, but how about the actual screen?
Old 12-25-2007, 10:32 AM   #5
Roy White
Evangelist
Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Reader
I lick it, then use my sleeve and scrub it real good!!!
Roy White is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-25-2007, 11:15 AM   #6
GatorDeb
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy White View Post
I lick it, then use my sleeve and scrub it real good!!!
You had your fun with the newbie, now how do you really clean it
Old 12-25-2007, 12:40 PM   #7
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The instructions for cleaning were for the Reader. I would clean its screen the same way as I would the rest of it: use a soft cloth, moistened if needed with water and/or mild detergent.
Old 12-25-2007, 03:04 PM   #8
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
I clean the reader (including the screen) with a barely damp microfibre cloth.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 03:10 PM   #9
Roy White
Evangelist
Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.

Gator... LOL!

I just take a soft cloth I'm sure wont scratch the screen and use a very small bit of dishwashing soap or better yet, hand soap. A light swabbing with the water/soap clath, then use the dry part of the cloth to buff the screen clean.

When i first got my reader i fussed and worried over it. I've dropped it tons of times since (I bought an aftermarket M edge case for it http://www.buymedge.com/ which I customized with a dremel tool becasue I didnt like the shadow cast on the edges of the reading screen by the case, plus I HAD to have duct tape on it!!!) and have gotten everything from coffee and coke to beer spilled on it. Once I left it on a windowsill and it got a light rain on it. Dried it out thouroughly and.. No problem! The thing is TOUGH! I think it will survive quite a bit of moisture as long as it isn't immersed.

If you do immerse it accidentally I bet it would survive that as long as it wasn't saltwater. I dropped a new Canon camera in the river once after I had it two days and i dried ot out and its worked perfect for the last 3 years now. I think the reader would survive the same thing but I'm not gonna test it!

So relax and enjoy it. It's not as delicate as you think.
Old 12-25-2007, 03:15 PM   #10
Roy White
Evangelist

I actually HAVE, used a dab of saliva on my sleeve to clean it though... (Roy admits shamefacedly)
Old 12-25-2007, 03:20 PM   #11
GatorDeb
Evangelist

Wow and here I was taking 5 seconds or so to set it down anywhere. I read the thread about Sony not covering that guy's (or gal's) broken Reader and I got the impression they were fragile.

Would a cleaning solution and cloth made for LCD TVs work just fine? How about those damp disposable cloths that Wal-Mart sells to clean eyeglasses?

Thanks everyone for the tips!
Old 12-25-2007, 03:30 PM   #12
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDeb View Post
Wow and here I was taking 5 seconds or so to set it down anywhere. I read the thread about Sony not covering that guy's (or gal's) broken Reader and I got the impression they were fragile.
I wouldn't take's Roy's comments as a suggestion that you should throw yours around. I've seen the photos of the broken Readers and dread the thought of repeating that with mine. But I don't treat it like an egg either.
Old 12-25-2007, 03:55 PM   #13
Roy White
Evangelist

Dont get me wrong. I dont throw it around and I do treat it as careful as possible but since I lug it around with me everywhere I go in a case I bought designed for a Nintendo DS system (I guess that's a handheld video game nintendo sells, the reader fits perfectly in it and its only 10 bucks at Best buy) life happens and every time something happens I cringe but so far it has taken all the abuse I've dealt out to it.

I bought a spare for 58 bucks using the Sony card deal so I dont worry about it much since I have another brand new reader lying in the weeds. Plus I look at the reader like I do my PC.. Disposable and replaceable. Soon the prs 500 will be obsolete, made so by a new device that walks and talks compared to the reader and I, as a bona fide technofile, will queue up and buy the newest gadget and leave the reader on the garage sale table.

So... I dunno. I just dont worry about it alot. The reader isn't the point for me. The READING is the point!!!

Just as I've never been much of a book collector, (A paperback, dog eared copy of Moby Dick does me just as well as a first edition with all the pretension that goes along with it) ((I do love parenthesis, it allows me to examine other sides of an issue in the middle of my own arguments heh heh...)) I'm not real partial to the reader as an object of desire in and of itself.

So... Be careful but... USE it! I am never without a book now. In line at the grocery store, the DMV, waiting for a friend at Starbucks to show up for a Coffee etc. Now I am (Dream come true here) Always reading!!!! (I used to grab even stupid stuff like The National Enquirer when I had a few minutes on line or waiting for a prescription at Costco because I am addicted to reading) Now. I use the reader as an integral part of my life seizing every oppurtunity to ruminate deeply perusing Socrates while waiting for a movie to begin or sneaking a few chapters of Howards Conan stories if the sermon at Church gets a little too boring for me!

To me, the reader doesn't matter so much as the reading and another device like the Kindle or Mobipocket or whatever will do me fine. I'm excited about what these techno studs will come up with in the future, devices that will allow me to hitch a ride on the thoughts of others instead of running in the lousy circles my own thoughts end up in.

Oh now I've run on and on (Which is exactly what these forums are for anyway!!!)

Last edited by Roy White; 12-25-2007 at 04:03 PM.
Old 12-25-2007, 04:01 PM   #14
GatorDeb
Evangelist

Roy you modified the case, right? I'm no good at modding stuff, how much to ship me (89108) a modded case for my 505?
Old 12-25-2007, 05:48 PM   #15
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy White View Post
... I have another brand new reader lying in the weeds
Do not forget to charge it from time to time. You will destroy your Lithium accumulator if you let it to go totally flat.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote