Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-22-2007, 03:21 PM   #1
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
Books purchased not in My Account

I've bought more than 40 books from CONNECT in the year I've had the 500. When I go to my account, and click on "View and Download All Purchased Books," there are only seven books listed.

As Sony is not open weekends, just wondering if anybody knows what happened to all the rest? Did they vanish when it changed over to eBook Library from CONNECT? If so, any way to find them?
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 03:30 PM   #2
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Un-registering required

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlondikeGeoff View Post
I've bought more than 40 books from CONNECT in the year I've had the 500. When I go to my account, and click on "View and Download All Purchased Books," there are only seven books listed.

As Sony is not open weekends, just wondering if anybody knows what happened to all the rest? Did they vanish when it changed over to eBook Library from CONNECT? If so, any way to find them?
If you changed Readers or PC's, you were supposed to UN-register the discarded units at Connect (Sony eBooks) BEFORE you got rid of them. Then you were supposed to register your new units. If you failed to do this, you will need Sony customer service to make the adjustment for you. Otherwise, the new units will not see your purchases.

You are allowed 6 units to be registered at once. If you have less, then just register your new Readers and / or PC's.

Last edited by sirmaru; 12-22-2007 at 03:32 PM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2007, 03:34 PM   #3
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

P.S. OK, just looked in Win Explorer, and find that under the folder My Books, there are two subfolders, one called CONNECT and the other eBook Library.

The CONNECT has about 35 and the Library has the seven. Another brilliant move by Sony, relegating all the other books to a separate folder, and not making them available under My Account any more.

As they are all named some idiotic sequence of
names such as sbuscehch0257b0y.lrx, I'd have to click on each of them, one by one, to open them to find the title, and perhaps rename them.

That would take hours which I don't want to waste. Even if I did that, how could I get them back into the Reader if I wanted to?
Old 12-22-2007, 03:37 PM   #4
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
If you changed Readers or PC's, you were supposed to UN-register the discarded units at Connect (Sony eBooks) BEFORE you got rid of them. Then you were supposed to register your new units. If you failed to do this, you will need Sony customer service to make the adjustment for you. Otherwise, the new units will not see your purchases.

You are allowed 6 units to be registered at once. If you have less, then just register your new Readers and / or PC's.
I have neither changed Readers (still have the one-year old 500 I bought originally) nor changed computers.

All that happened is that Sony, in their brilliance, changed the software but did not keep in my account all the older books I bought .
Old 12-22-2007, 03:47 PM   #5
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Move the books

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlondikeGeoff View Post
P.S. OK, just looked in Win Explorer, and find that under the folder My Books, there are two subfolders, one called CONNECT and the other eBook Library.That would take hours which I don't want to waste. Even if I did that, how could I get them back into the Reader if I wanted to?
Try copying them first into \My Documents\My Books\eBook Library, Then open eBook Library and see if you can access them.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2007, 04:59 PM   #6
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
Try copying them first into \My Documents\My Books\eBook Library, Then open eBook Library and see if you can access them.
Now THAT is a good idea! Unfortunately, it did not work.

I copied several over, closed everything and reopened the eBook Reader, but still had only the original seven books.

Guess will have to wait until Monday and see if Sony can get the old ones transferred.

Thanks for the suggestion anyway!
Old 12-22-2007, 05:33 PM   #7
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Use File-Import Files... menu to add them.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 06:23 PM   #8
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Use File-Import Files... menu to add them.
Bingo! You got it, igorsk, that works. Thanks muchly.
Old 12-24-2007, 04:02 PM   #9
BobVA
Addict
BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Clara, Sony PRS950, T1, T2, T3
My books also vanished from my purchasing history last week (the Connect-to-EBook Library upgrade didn't lose them on my local machine, though).

I sent a note to Sony customer service and got a non-sequiter response (looked like it was machine generated), but a day later all the books showed back up in my purchase history. Not sure if they fixed it for my account or it was just some general glitch that cleared up.

I'd recommend you drop Sony a note, KG, even though you've recovered the books locally. Having them in your purchase history is good disaster insurance (so you can re-download them).

Regards,
Bob
BobVA is offline   Reply With Quote