Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-22-2007, 12:04 PM   #1
BrokenBird
Architect
BrokenBird began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
1700 Books, 110 Collections, Reader craps

Ok I transfered 1700 books on my PRS-505 reader, some on the reader and the rest on a 2Gig SD, which are organized in 110 collections, but once I deconnect the reader from the eBook Library it keeps reseting over and over again, like it is not able to process such a big list.

I plugged it back into the Library and all my collections have been wiped on the SD card, but the books are still there.
BrokenBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 12:09 PM   #2
BrokenBird
Architect

And with all those books the eBook Library programs take 1.2G or RAM...
Advert
Old 12-22-2007, 01:00 PM   #3
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Proof of capacity limits

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenBird View Post
And with all those books the eBook Library programs take 1.2G or RAM...
I'd recommend to NEVER use any memory cards at all for books or music. Just load less than 15 books on the internal memory and STOP! I even deleted all the data files which came with the unit including pictures, music and book samples.

The RAM and Processor are simply not the equivalent of a PC. Even the internal memory requires empty space for temporary files.

Your test has simply proved that thesis. This Sony 505 READER is just good for reading from page to page on one or two books at one time. Store all the rest on your PC.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 01:06 PM   #4
BrokenBird
Architect

I use it for reference and need my collections. I spend the better part of the week converting my references and organizing them, this is really pissing me off.
Old 12-22-2007, 01:12 PM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
Just load less than 15 books on the internal memory and STOP!
That would make the Reader much less useful to me, & I'm sure many people. I only have 128 books in 15 collections right now, but everything works fine.

Bird, are you're files LRF's, PDF's, RTF's??? What/how did you get them ready for the Reader? With more details maybe someone will have some ideas.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2007, 01:57 PM   #6
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I used to have a 500, so I know how you feel. But let's be honest. The Sony Reader is exactly that, a reader. It was made to read fiction one book at a time, and that's all it can do.

It was not made to be a reference tool. That's why it doesn't have any search functions or dictionary lookup.

From what we've seen of the behavior of the software, they apparently didn't think that anyone would actually use the card slots.

If you need a reference tool, then a Kindle might do the job. If not, then you should start looking at the Iliad, a UMPC, or a laptop. The Sony Reader simply cannot do what you need.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 02:56 PM   #7
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Notebook PC and MS Reader better for references

Quote:
I use it for reference and need my collections. I spend the better part of the week converting my references and organizing them, this is really pissing me off.
If you need this function, then buy a Notebook PC and get MS Reader. You can do mass searches, look up words in an attached dictionary and keep numbers of books on the HD to the limit of its capacity (1000's of books).

You can do a "find" for any word and keep typed annotations on any word or phrase. It has highlighting as well.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 03:21 PM   #8
BrokenBird
Architect

Actually that is where I am coming from, I use to get my material on my tablet pc, but it was heavy and battery suck. The reader was perfect for my need.

Again this is a proof that Sony developpers are really bad at software design, I looked at the files they generate and this is really really bad.

Anyway, I will keep it to a minimum for now.

Anyone knows if the iRex illiad has the same kind of limitation?
Old 12-22-2007, 06:08 PM   #9
Azhad
Azhad began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500, PRS-505, Milestone, Galaxy Tab
Quote:
Ok I transfered 1700 books on my PRS-505 reader, some on the reader and the rest on a 2Gig SD, which are organized in 110 collections, but once I deconnect the reader from the eBook Library it keeps reseting over and over again, like it is not able to process such a big list.

I plugged it back into the Library and all my collections have been wiped on the SD card, but the books are still there.
My reader after putting 2000 books in ite behaved in the same way, then it stopped resetting, autoditched the library made by the pc program, and recreated the library from scratch.
Now, it work, but a little slow
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17455
Azhad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 12:55 PM   #10
Roy White
Evangelist
Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Reader
I own a PRS 500

I've got 450 books on mine. It is just beginning to be a bit sluggish when I exit a book to go back to the main menu, although the individual page turn speed is still just as fast as it was when new once I got a book opened and reading.

On my PC the software is having trouble running. (Under windows task manager resources tab it says Sony Connect software uses 1.6 GB of ram to run!!!! I only have 1 Gig of Ram so its always adding ram through the virtual memory program)

I think I've just about maxed out the little guys memory cranking abilities. After Christmas I'm going to go through and ruthlessly cull out books I know I wont be reading for many years and choose books I'm certain to be reading and strip it down to 200 books. The rest I'll keep on my computer and add as needed.

I try and remember that this technology is still in its infancy and we are dealing with the 'Commodore' of the book reader generation. I have no doubt that, as time passes and thanks to the popularity of the Kindle, better and better e ink based readers will come available on the market.

I'm gonna lurk in the weeds with my lousy 100 books on my great Sony 500 and wait until a perfect reader comes along with the ability to handle ONE MIILION BOOKS!!! (Little finger to corner of mouth like Dr. Evil from Austin Powers) Then i'm gonna pounce like a Mongoose!

Until then try and not get too mad that it has limitations and read away!

Last edited by Roy White; 12-23-2007 at 01:00 PM.
Roy White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 01:38 PM   #11
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
1.6 GB of ram to run seems ridiculous to me
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 03:03 PM   #12
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
As Roy said, it will store a lot of books. I stress tested my 500 a while back with a 2 GB SD card and loaded about 1,100 books. It was a little slow on the return to menu command but otherwise it was fine.

I would suspect that there were a few problems with some of the 1,500 books loaded in the collections. Perhaps an incremental load rather than an all at once would be better and allow the Sony to preprocess the books in a reasonable time.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 03:45 AM   #13
Fzzt
Enthusiast
Fzzt began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 500, Amazon Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy White View Post
I try and remember that this technology is still in its infancy and we are dealing with the 'Commodore' of the book reader generation.
That's a great way to look at it!

It took me awhile but I finally was able to get a working iso of the project gutenberg books : http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Gutenb...nd_DVD_Project

17,000 public domain books @ 4.5gb

So it seems loading them up on 2gb memory cards isn't the answer for the sony reader?

Better to use the PC to pre-sort or convert, say, +/- 100 books at a time?
What about using smaller mem cards so the reader doesn't have to sort so much is that viable?
Fzzt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 03:53 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Getting a bunch of 512meg SD cards is a good idea. Then you can have smallish collections on each card that won't bog down the reader.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 11:41 PM   #15
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fzzt View Post
That's a great way to look at it!

It took me awhile but I finally was able to get a working iso of the project gutenberg books : http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Gutenb...nd_DVD_Project

17,000 public domain books @ 4.5gb

So it seems loading them up on 2gb memory cards isn't the answer for the sony reader?

Better to use the PC to pre-sort or convert, say, +/- 100 books at a time?
What about using smaller mem cards so the reader doesn't have to sort so much is that viable?
Better idea would be to plunk down $10 and get most/all of these books in native lrf format from silkpagoda, imo.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote