View Full Version : linking between books?

xmlgirl
05-17-2012, 11:30 AM
I'm new to the ebook world. Is there any talk of linking between books as part of a future epub spec?

pholy
05-17-2012, 04:08 PM
Well, I'm not on the EPUB committee, but I seriously doubt it. I'm pretty sure there would be too many problems resolving the Uniform Resource Locator - especially if the reader has no Internet access :D

huebi
05-18-2012, 04:44 AM
I'm new to the ebook world. Is there any talk of linking between books as part of a future epub spec?

I guess there will never be a solution cuase you need to know how the filename of the other book will be and this is not under your control.

Doitsu
05-18-2012, 05:40 AM
You can link books, if you put all of them in one ePub. For an example of several books in one ePub have a look at HarryT's omnibus editions.

xmlgirl
05-18-2012, 07:24 AM
I do have control over all the epubs I'd be linking, I may need to build it into a web application or one really big epub.

huebi
05-18-2012, 07:31 AM
I do have control over all the epubs I'd be linking, I may need to build it into a web application or one really big epub.

You dont have. I can change the filename as i want. You cant stop me => you do not have control.

If this is happening only on your reader you might have control, but even the transmitting software may change the filename without your notice.

Theres nothing in ePub2 and until now theres nothing in ePub3. You only can bind your books together in one ePub.

mrmikel
05-18-2012, 08:27 AM
As has been noted in other forums, you could run into trouble in various operating systems as some treat capitalization as significant and some do not, if you have them as separate items. All bundled together as one epub, they are all zipped together and stay together.

Just make sure your sections stay under about 250k so as not to give some readers indigestion.

Jellby
05-18-2012, 03:22 PM
There has been some talking (http://blog.threepress.org/2010/10/21/developing-an-epub-linking-spec/), I don't know what's the current state, though.

DaleDe
05-19-2012, 05:23 PM
There is communication capability planned in ePub 3. Our wiki has a few details but the specification seems not to be fully flushed out yet. ipdf site has more details. ePub 3 will have add on modules of capabilities. our wiki has this statement.

ePubCFI is a newly defined linking scheme. It provides for a method of linking to a location inside an ePub from somewhere outside the document. It requires specific knowledge of the content. It makes use of id's defined in the document as well as counting of locations. It needs knowledge of the code view.

Dale