View Full Version : InDesign CS5.5 font embedding problem

ralphiedee
05-15-2012, 10:56 PM
I have some InDesign files that I need to convert to epub. When I attempt to convert I get the message "4 fonts ( name of fonts) are not allowed to be embedded". I'm in OS X and need to figure out a way to do this.

Any help?

RD

HarryT
05-16-2012, 02:34 AM
Please post in the correct forum. I've moved this to the ePub forum.

HarryT
05-16-2012, 02:38 AM
The message appears to be self-explanatory: you're using fonts which are not licensed to be embedded. The solution is to use fonts which can be embedded.

ralphiedee
05-16-2012, 08:10 AM
I could understand if they were some weird fonts, but the fonts that are listed are Times T1(bold), (italic) and (roman) those fonts are standard, this is what I do not understand.

??

mrmikel
05-16-2012, 08:45 AM
Apparently the fonts are old Type 1 fonts. I found this at Adobe which could address your issue:
http://www.adobe.com/type/opentype/T1_to_OTF_FAQ.htm

I don't know enough about fonts to be clear on what can be embedded, but some proprietary fonts can only be used on your computer, and not embedded elsewhere. That would be like giving away copyrighted material.

As Harry suggested, it appears you will have to use other fonts.

ralphiedee
05-16-2012, 08:54 AM
Ah! Now I understand, finally! So, I have a lot of these Ind to EPub projects coming up. So to save time I need to let the client know NOT to use Type 1 fonts.

Now I'll read up and see the easiest route to convert from type 1 to open type.

thx!

RD

Jellby
05-16-2012, 09:28 AM
Better yet, do not embed fonts unless they are needed (for some decorative reason, or to ensure some particular characters are available).

JSWolf
05-16-2012, 12:55 PM
It is not a TTF vs OTF issue. It is that the font is set not to allow embedding. If you want to embed fonts, Charis SIL is a very popular and free font. Also, it does look good.