View Full Version : epub from SVG files

sachin
05-10-2012, 10:16 AM
Hello everyone
I have lots of SVG files created by using inkscape and i need to convert them to EPUB any suggestions are greatly appreciated

Regards
Sachin

huebi
05-10-2012, 10:46 AM
Hello everyone
I have lots of SVG files created by using inkscape and i need to convert them to EPUB any suggestions are greatly appreciated

Write an XSL-Transformation doing the job. Or make screenshots. Or ask google for svg to png transformprograms.

Jellby
05-10-2012, 10:54 AM
Just create a wrapper XHTML to include your SVG, since SVG is part of the ePub specification.

huebi
05-10-2012, 11:48 AM
Just create a wrapper XHTML to include your SVG, since SVG is part of the ePub specification.

Inkscape supports many advanced SVG features (markers, clones, alpha blending, etc.) whereas epub 2.0 supports only svg 1.1.

Toxaris
05-10-2012, 01:22 PM
Inkscape supports many advanced SVG features (markers, clones, alpha blending, etc.) whereas epub 2.0 supports only svg 1.1.

Not even the whole set of 1.1. For example the animation part is not possible.

huebi
05-11-2012, 02:19 AM
Not even the whole set of 1.1. For example the animation part is not possible.

The ePub 2.0 standard defines the full implementation of svg 1.1. But of course every implementation may look different. Animations do not really makes sense on an eInk device and are therefore not implemented on such devices, but still are part of the ePub standard.

Toxaris
05-11-2012, 03:12 AM
Sorry huebi, but you are incorrect. I quote from the ePUB 2.0.1 specs:
OPS supports the full SVG 1.1 Recommendation. The only exception is that since OPS is not targeting interactive content. SVG animation and scripting features are not supported and must not be used by publication authors; a Reading System should not render such content.

Jellby
05-11-2012, 10:04 AM
Would this help?
http://archivematica.org/wiki/index.php?title=SVG_to_SVG_1.1_using_Inkscape