View Full Version : AZW3 format - Calibre problem

deborakaye
04-18-2012, 08:10 PM
I got a new book for my Kindle Touch today. The Witness by Nora Roberts. It was in .azw3 format. Calibre imported the book, but listed the author as unknown and the file wouldn't open.

I tried downloading a new copy of the book and the same thing happened.

I'm using Calibre 0.8.47.

Has anyone had a similar problem and found a solution?

Thanks,
deborakaye

susan_cassidy
04-18-2012, 08:35 PM
Funny, I just downloaded the sample, to check, and it was in format .azw. I've never heard of .azw3 before.

wallcraft
04-18-2012, 08:44 PM
AZW3 is a KF8, but a KF8 can also come in an .azw. So, try renaming to .azw and see if that helps. Note that you will likely need the latest 3rd party DRM stripping plugins (if you strip DRM). Explicit support for the AZW3 filename extension will be in the next release of Calibre (which already supports KF8 for import).

deborakaye
04-19-2012, 06:45 AM
Susan and Wallcraft, thanks for your help.

Changing the .azw3 to just .azw allowed Calibre to add the file correctly.

Thanks again,
deborakaye:)

Julien Pham
05-02-2012, 05:05 PM
Just to add that for me renaming the AZW3 file to AZW allows me to add it to Calibre, BUT the AZW file cannot be read on my Kindle Touch. But if I move the AZW3 file to my kobo touch with the AZW3 extension, the Touch can read it.

So we need a way to have Calibre handle the AZW3 files with the AZW3 extension. I can add AZW3 to calibre, but then it refuses to send it to my Kindle touch, saying the format is not compatible ;)

So for the moment the only solution to me is to keep the version with both KF7 and KF8, but the size is then twice the size of an ePub ;)

JSWolf
05-02-2012, 05:10 PM
If you are not using the latest Calibre, then do so as it's got support for KF8/AZW3.

wallcraft
05-02-2012, 07:54 PM
So we need a way to have Calibre handle the AZW3 files with the AZW3 extension. I can add AZW3 to calibre, but then it refuses to send it to my Kindle touch, saying the format is not compatible ;) Update Preferences -> Plugins -> Device Interface Plugins -> Kindle 2/3/4/Touch -> Customize Plugin -> Select available formats -> azw3.

I'm not sure what happens if you have both a Touch and an earlier Kindle, but selecting azw3 should be safe if you only ever connect a Touch.

JSWolf
05-02-2012, 07:57 PM
The earlier Kindles should be displaying the mobi part of the AZW3 file.

wallcraft
05-02-2012, 08:03 PM
The earlier Kindles should be displaying the mobi part of the AZW3 file. An AZW3 file typically only contains the KF8 part of the ebook. The way it works is that kindlegen (and Calibre) create MOBI files that contain both classic MOBI and KF8, but when Amazon sends an AZW3 to a device it strips out the classic MOBI part and only send the KF8.

Julien Pham
05-03-2012, 03:26 AM
Yes now I can make Calibre work to send AZW3 files to my kindle. Too bad the amazon personal document stuff does not allow us to send AZW3 files, only Mobi and AZW ones for books. And as I said renaming AZW3 to AZW does not work.

Josieb1
05-05-2012, 02:57 AM
I just downloaded an AZW3 book and renaming it to AZW worked fine, thank you

Julien Pham
05-05-2012, 03:33 AM
Oh it worked for you? ;) When I rename a AZW3 file to AZW, my Kindle says it cannot open the book ;)

cindyw9
07-22-2012, 01:11 PM
Oh it worked for you? When I rename a AZW3 file to AZW, my Kindle says it cannot open the book

No matter what I do, calibre says the book is DRM locked. It wont do anything with it.

Im using version 8.6.1 and like I said it still wont work on AZW3 files. :(

Not very happy right now

itimpi
07-22-2012, 01:23 PM
No matter what I do, calibre says the book is DRM locked. It wont do anything with it.
Have you taken any steps to remove DRM on these files in case the Calibre message is correct? If a book DOES ahve DRM then you need to get it removed before Calibre can do anything other than file it for you.

deva1984
07-22-2012, 02:45 PM
Have you taken any steps to remove DRM on these files in case the Calibre message is correct? If a book DOES ahve DRM then you need to get it removed before Calibre can do anything other than file it for you.

How could DRMs be removed?

unboggling
07-22-2012, 02:47 PM
How could DRMs be removed?

Search the internet for Apprentice Alf's Blog

deva1984
07-22-2012, 03:04 PM
Search the internet for Apprentice Alf's Blog

Thank you, now I can deDRM all my kindle books. ^_^

But even without DRM, azw3 files still cannot be sent to @kindle.com as personal documents? I thought amazon said azw3 files were supported

anydaangel
07-28-2012, 04:08 PM
So with a fresh re-install of Calibre, I have come to the conclusion that while some azw3 files open just fine with all of the patches and plugins; there are some stubborn files that refuse to give up their drm.

I'd like to be able to enjoy my books all through Calibre, so they're all neatly on the same "bookshelf", but these few are just getting under my skin.

Is there some new form of encoding or are these files simply evil?

I thought it had to do with the release date of the newer files - but some azw3 files that were released two weeks ago work fine, while the ones released back in Nov 2011 - Jan 2012 refuse to open.

Was there some experimental encoding going on during this time window, or am I simply doing something improperly?

anydaangel
07-28-2012, 04:34 PM
****NEW NOTE: after two days of fighting with my computer, it finally decided to allow me access to the DRM files in Calibre. Whew! I was about to start a petition for Amazon to stop being so stingy with the files their CUSTOMERS PAID FOR. No need. Just run a good uninstaller that takes all of Calibre away and reinstall everything - complete with patches and restarting your machine. "Throw 'em in the wash, it'll be grand."

babarous
08-07-2012, 08:19 AM
Thank you, now I can deDRM all my kindle books. ^_^

But even without DRM, azw3 files still cannot be sent to @kindle.com as personal documents? I thought amazon said azw3 files were supported

If you can't email them as azw3, then why not just use calibre to convert them to plain old .mobi, then email it to your kindle?

JSWolf
08-07-2012, 09:10 PM
If you can't email them as azw3, then why not just use calibre to convert them to plain old .mobi, then email it to your kindle?

Not a good idea since deva1984 has a Kindle Touch.

HarryT
08-08-2012, 04:04 PM

Are you sure that it's not simply the ".azw3" extension that Amazon doesn't like? Try renaming the file to have a ".prc" or ".mobi" extension, and see if that helps.

deva1984
08-09-2012, 02:21 PM
Are you sure that it's not simply the ".azw3" extension that Amazon doesn't like? Try renaming the file to have a ".prc" or ".mobi" extension, and see if that helps.

You know what? I had actually tried this dirty way before. And amazon was proven to be more clever than that.

I use the same method babarous have suggested currently. Not so bad, just one more step indeed.

GOGGS75
08-10-2012, 05:47 AM
Hi

I have a kinlde touch and have tried to create a AZW3 file instead of a MOBI to get rid of some formatting problems with an ebook I created.

Calibre converts to AZW3 successfully I think but does not list it as a format that can be sent to the device? I have tried changing the extension of the file selected to AZW but this makes no difference.

Has anyone else had this problem with Calibre?

Cheers

HarryT
08-10-2012, 05:50 AM
Hi

I have a kinlde touch and have tried to create a AZW3 file instead of a MOBI to get rid of some formatting problems with an ebook I created.

Calibre converts to AZW3 successfully I think but does not list it as a format that can be sent to the device? I have tried changing the extension of the file selected to AZW but this makes no difference.

Has anyone else had this problem with Calibre?

Cheers

You need to check the "AZW3" box in Calibre's Kindle driver. By default it's not enabled.

To do this, select "Preferences", then navigate to "Plug-ins", "Device interface plug-ins", select the "Kindle 2/3/4/Touch" item, and click the "Customise plug-in" button. You'll see a list of formats that can be sent to the Kindle; check "AZW3", then click "OK" to save the changes.

You may need to restart Calibre for the change to take effect, but you should then find that you can send AZW3 files to your Kindle.

Hope this helps!

HarryT
08-11-2012, 05:01 AM
You know, I'm always happy to help, but wouldn't it be nice if people were to say "thank you" just occasionally? :chinscratch:

Kumabjorn
08-11-2012, 05:10 AM
I try to remember that, but once in a moon I might forget, or be in a hurry. But yes, I agree, if people don't appreciate your help they go on the block messages from this user.

cindyw9
08-17-2012, 09:27 AM

I removed calibre and kindle for the pc from my system (completely) and then reloaded them both along with the calibre plug-ins and both me and my calibre are very happy now. It works fine with the azw3 files now.

I found when I just work with calibre itself installing and uninstalling just didnt work, but when I did the kindle for pc uninstall and reinstall 'something' clicked!

Just thought I'd pass this along.

GOGGS75
08-18-2012, 04:12 PM
Harry T

I have now read your thread and tried what you suggested. AZW3 is now available on my Kindle touch.

Thanks for your help.

cindyw9
08-25-2012, 12:39 AM
I found removing calibre and the kindle for pc and then and then reloading calibre - updating the plugs and then reloading the kindle for pc made the azw3 files acceptable.

They now work fine for me in calibre.

Ararose
09-01-2012, 05:13 PM
Harry T, thank you! Thank you! Thank you! That helped me out a lot. I know can read a book I've wanted for a while now.

adriantc
12-26-2012, 05:13 AM
Does anybody know if the new format AZW3 has become supported... I tried to send a book to my Kindle email and I get an email back stating the format is not supported although on their website it says it is (http://www.amazon.com/kindlepersonaldocuments).

I tried to have a conversation with Kindle support and after bouncing back thru operators I get to Kindle specialized support where I find out AZW3 is not supported by any of my Kindles (Keyboard or 4). :smack:

desertblues
12-26-2012, 08:44 AM
edit: excuse, wrong thread

Lavender Lib
12-27-2012, 08:16 PM
I'm not sure if my question has been answered or not. I went through a rough patch with my Kindles, and had to have them replaced 3 times. Each time I had to download the books from the archives on the kindle, transfer them Calibre, edit them to add the designations I'd given them (I keep my series together by renaming the book with a code at the beginning... AB-01 Guilty Pleasures is Anita Blake series #1, then book title). With close to 2000, this took forever....and then I would have to replace the Kindle again!!!

So - I got the plugin that stripped the DRM, and made all books Mobi, so that the next time this happens, I could just reload from Calibre, and go. However, a couple of months ago, the AZW3 started showing up, and Calibre couldn't convert them to Mobi.

Are yall saying that if I remove Calibre, re-install it, and then all the plugins, that it will then convert the AZW3 files to Mobi? So far everything I've done has not worked. And if I delete all of Calibre, how will I save my books and all the info in my extra columns in Calibre? (categories, amount paid, date read, etc) I'm sure you experts are rolling your eyes, but please help the dummy!

Thanking you in advance...

babarous
12-28-2012, 02:43 AM
Why not just convert it to .mobi and then send it? All kindles can handle that format, AFAIK.

babarous
12-28-2012, 02:45 AM
@Lavender Lib: You need to update your calibre plugins. But I don't think talking about removing DRM is allowed here. Since you've done it before, I assume you have an idea of how to go about that.

Polarpenguin
12-28-2012, 09:17 PM
@ Lavender Lib

Hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but uninstalling will NOT remove your library folder. Once re-installed you can point calibre to the old library.

Each time I had to download the books from the archives on the kindle, transfer them Calibre, edit them to add the designations I'd given them (I keep my series together by renaming the book with a code at the beginning... AB-01 Guilty Pleasures is Anita Blake series #1, then book title). With close to 2000, this took forever....and then I would have to replace the Kindle again!!!

There is no need to do this. Make sure the series colum is populated & use metadata plugboards to add the series info when you transfer your books to your device.

open Prefs - Metadata Plugboard
This post should help http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100949&highlight=plugboards

stjoe
01-20-2013, 05:46 AM
Just want to share .. I encountered the same problem, where Calibre could no longer do deDRM for AZW3 from my Kindle Paperwhite .. It turned out, the issue was due to Kindle PC installed on my laptop .. I removed Kindle PC and now Calibre and its plugins can handle AZW3 just fine ..

There is no need to uninstall Calibre and its plugins, just uninstall Kindle PC, do restart of your PC/laptop and it works just well ..

DoctorOhh
01-20-2013, 11:41 AM
Just want to share .. I encountered the same problem, where Calibre could no longer do deDRM for AZW3 from my Kindle Paperwhite .. It turned out, the issue was due to Kindle PC installed on my laptop .. I removed Kindle PC and now Calibre and its plugins can handle AZW3 just fine ..

Two things.

1. Calibre does not remove DRM some plugins provided by a 3rd party may accomplish this task.

2. Since the person who created this thread doesn't have a PW, not the same problem. Your input may indeed help some folks, but the vast majority will have to update their plugins. Since it is against forum rules to discuss the details of the removal of DRM I can't elaborate further on exactly why your advice is in the minority.

***One last general message for all - links to sites explaining DRM removal or the discussion of the details of DRM removal are not permitted on this site.***