View Full Version : Feedbooks Kindle Download Guide

Hadrien
12-17-2007, 12:34 PM
Kindle Help on Feedbooks: http://www.feedbooks.com/help/kindle

http://www.feedbooks.com/images/help/kindle00.gif
Browsing the Kindle Download Guide

The Kindle Download Guide is the easiest way to download public domain and creative commons books from Feedbooks. It could be describded as having an on-demand library on your Kindle.
Step 1: The guide is a simple file that you need to add on your Kindle. The URL for this file is http://www.feedbooks.com/kindleguide
Open the browser on your Kindle and open this URL
OR download this file and send it to your Kindle using the USB cable
OR download this file and send it to your Kindle using your e-mail: [user]@kindle.com
Step 2: Find yourself something to read. You could:
Flip through the guide, you'll find books in alphabetical order, then authors in alphabetical order and finally lists (There's a table of contents for all this, you can access this any time you want through the Kindle user interface).
Type a keyword using the search feature of your Kindle. Works very well as soon as the guide is fully indexed (you'll have to wait for a few seconds after downloading the guide for your Kindle to fully index this file).

http://www.feedbooks.com/images/help/kindle01.gif
Searching on the Kindle

Step 3: To download a book (make sure that the EVDO connection is on), select the right line in the guide using the scrollwheel. A pop-up will show up, select the name of the book and your Kindle will download the file.

http://www.feedbooks.com/images/help/kindle02.gif
Downloading a book

Step 4: Enjoy reading your book, it is now available on your Kindle !
Updating: At the beginning of the guide, you'll find a link to update this guide. The guide is updated a few times every week. Make sure that you manually delete the old version of the guide once you've updated.

Alisa
12-17-2007, 12:45 PM
Thanks!

Hadrien
12-17-2007, 01:57 PM
Any feedback yet ?

Alisa
12-17-2007, 03:00 PM
I tried it and the links work great! Thanks so much!

Hadrien
12-17-2007, 05:17 PM
I tried it and the links work great! Thanks so much!

OK. I don't really know how the search works on the Kindle. Tried to divide everything in an easy way to browse though, and there's a TOC with all the authors.

Alisa
12-17-2007, 07:25 PM
I hadn't notice the Table of Contents at first because it put me right into the book list, but the ToC does register with the Kindle so I can get to it through the menu. Both by Author and by First Letter of Title show up.

Hadrien
12-17-2007, 07:52 PM
Ok Alisa.

I've noticed a little bug, the books were listed under the right letter but not in alphabetical order. I uploaded a new version of the guide.

bchowdhr
12-17-2007, 09:33 PM
Hadrien, I tried downloading a few books as well. It gave me a message that "There was an error...." but the download worked smoothly in any case. Thanks.

I feel like I now have an access to a nice (and free) library with a catalogue.

Hadrien
12-18-2007, 11:38 AM
Hadrien, I tried downloading a few books as well. It gave me a message that "There was an error...." but the download worked smoothly in any case. Thanks.

I feel like I now have an access to a nice (and free) library with a catalogue.

You get an error message, yet everything works ? Strange... What is the error message exactly ?

TadW
12-18-2007, 02:27 PM
Hadrian, could you tell us some more about this project, perhaps also for those (without a Kindle yet) who cannot read the guide? Thanks ;)

bchowdhr
12-18-2007, 02:49 PM
You get an error message, yet everything works ? Strange... What is the error message exactly ?
Hadrien, I think it was Kindle's message that it was unable to connect - but then connected anyway. I don't think it had anything to do with Feedbooks.

Hadrien
12-18-2007, 06:17 PM
Hadrian, could you tell us some more about this project, perhaps also for those (without a Kindle yet) who cannot read the guide? Thanks ;)

OK. First of all, anyone can read the guide. It's a normal Mobipocket file. This file should work just fine on smartphone/PDA too and I've tried it a few times on the Mobipocket Reader for Windows.

Basically, once Amazon released the Kindle, I started thinking about how Feedbooks as a service could be useful for Kindle users. First of all, I needed Mobipocket support. That's done for books, and will be available asap for feeds/newspapers.
Now, there's a few ways you can get content on the Kindle:
- Through USB (it's a UMS device) or a SD card
- Using the Kindle browser
- Links to Mobipocket/Kindle books in a file

What I'm planning to do with Feedbooks, is to offer the possibility for our users to get content these 4 different ways.

USB/SD

The Kindle is a UMS device, it acts like a normal hard drive. People can download books on their desktop computers and easily sync them to their Kindle.

For feeds, it's going to be a little different.
As soon as we've made Mobipocket available for feeds/newspapers we'll release a little tool that basically download all your feeds to your Kindle as soon as you connect it to your desktop computer. You wake up in the morning, plug your Kindle to your computer, and it syncs everything for you.

Browser

We're working on a mobile version of Feedbooks.com that should work just fine on the Kindle. This way, you'll just have to go to mobile.feedbooks.com or a similar URL on your Kindle to browse and download books/feeds.

Links inside a book

On all of our Mobipocket books, you'll notice that at the beginning and the end of each book, we link to additional books. Just follow one of this link and it automatically download the book on your device.

The download guide works the same way. It's basically a file with all the books currently available on Feedbooks in it. Browse/search for a book, select the link and you get the book on your Kindle.

I'll add the possibility on the website to e-mail yourself a book. You'll just have to authorize our e-mail address, and then using your computer, browse the books that'll be automatically sent on your Kindle. You'll have to pay the 0.10$ fee from Amazon if you decide to use this option.

On the syncing software for USB, we might also add an e-mail option. This way, every day it'll send you an e-mail with all your feeds.

sfernald
12-18-2007, 07:09 PM
I tried it and I like it! I was able to immediately find a book I wanted on your list and the download went great.

If you make future updates to the "guide" it would be cool if we could register with our kindle email and then the newly updated guide gets sent out once a month or however often you update it. I like that idea better than even having the books emailed to me as it will save a bit of money, yet the convenience is the same.

bchowdhr
12-18-2007, 07:33 PM
"For feeds, it's going to be a little different.
As soon as we've made Mobipocket available for feeds/newspapers we'll release a little tool that basically download all your feeds to your Kindle as soon as you connect it to your desktop computer. You wake up in the morning, plug your Kindle to your computer, and it syncs everything for you."

Hadrien, it will be nicer if we could download the feeds directly using the Kindle instead of having to connect to our computer. Say, we go to the mobile Feedbooks site using the kindle and do one click and have the feeds dowloaded (just like the book download).

The service you are providing is awesome! Thanks.

Bhagwan

Hadrien
12-18-2007, 09:18 PM
"For feeds, it's going to be a little different.
As soon as we've made Mobipocket available for feeds/newspapers we'll release a little tool that basically download all your feeds to your Kindle as soon as you connect it to your desktop computer. You wake up in the morning, plug your Kindle to your computer, and it syncs everything for you."

Hadrien, it will be nicer if we could download the feeds directly using the Kindle instead of having to connect to our computer. Say, we go to the mobile Feedbooks site using the kindle and do one click and have the feeds dowloaded (just like the book download).

The service you are providing is awesome! Thanks.

Bhagwan

Well that's exactly what I've said, you'll have the choice:
- sync through USB
- on the mobile website
- using another "download guide" but for your feeds
- automatically by e-mail

Hadrien
12-19-2007, 09:09 AM
I tried it and I like it! I was able to immediately find a book I wanted on your list and the download went great.

If you make future updates to the "guide" it would be cool if we could register with our kindle email and then the newly updated guide gets sent out once a month or however often you update it. I like that idea better than even having the books emailed to me as it will save a bit of money, yet the convenience is the same.

I wonder if you download the same book twice, will it erase the old one with the new version ?

In this case, I could add an "update" link in the guide itself, this way people could easily update the guide whenever they want. We would generate a new guide every day in this case.

Hadrien
12-20-2007, 09:13 PM
Updated the guide and the first message in this thread:
- The guide is now updated on Feedbooks. Not generated live, but frequently, should be easy to keep it updated.
- There's a link to update the guide at the beginning of the guide.
- Added lists in the guide.

Anyone could try the update link ? See if it destroy the older version on the Kindle, or if you end up with 2 files ?
If anyone could do a few photos of the guide on their Kindle it would be fantastic:
1) Selecting the guide on the Kindle
2) Searching for a book
3) Downloading the book
4) Opening the newly downloaded book

This way I could post a nice little tutorial on our blog, and even try some mainstream websites. Places like Lifehacker for example might be interested in this kind of trick.

zartemis
12-20-2007, 09:41 PM
Alas, the update link doesn't work. It attempts to download it and gets the error "Basic Web was unable to save this file because a file with the same name already exists on your Kindle. Please use the Content manager to remove the existing file and try again".

Perhaps you could add a version number to the guide name/title and have each one have a link to the next expected version? Or just a link to a landing page where the most recent guide will be listed (they would still need to be unique, but then the person checking for an update could just skip to whatever the recent one was, without having to upgrade version by version).

Hadrien
12-20-2007, 09:46 PM
Alas, the update link doesn't work. It attempts to download it and gets the error "Basic Web was unable to save this file because a file with the same name already exists on your Kindle. Please use the Content manager to remove the existing file and try again".

Perhaps you could add a version number to the guide name/title and have each one have a link to the next expected version? Or just a link to a landing page where the most recent guide will be listed (they would still need to be unique, but then the person checking for an update could just skip to whatever the recent one was, without having to upgrade version by version).

I'll add the date of the last update in the name. Should be enough. Too bad that the browser doesn't give the choice between replacing the old file, or keeping it.

zartemis
12-21-2007, 12:19 PM
If anyone could do a few photos of the guide on their Kindle it would be fantastic:

Not photos, but I took some screenshots using the shortcut Alt-shift-G that Igor found. They don't fully show what you need to select with the scrollbar, but should give an idea of what it looks like. Screen shots are of:

Home page with Kindle Download Guide listed. Note that there are two versions on the device. The new one named "Kindle Download Guide" and first one you did named "Download Guide".
First page of content of the Guide.
After selecting the line with a title of a book, it pops up a window with actions to take
After selecting the action corresponding to the book title, it pops up a window asking you to confirm download. The background is whatever you were looking at last using Basic Web. In my case I previously demoed a wikipedia lookup of "brain" for someone.
What the home screen looks like after the book is downloaded.
Selecting the new book opens the first page of the book
The error you get if you try to download a file with the same name as one on the device already

zartemis
12-21-2007, 12:36 PM
Here's some of what happens when you search.

Pressing the search key on any screen opens the search bar.
The results page after a search -- it searches all books on the Kindle, looks for a dictionary entry and provides links to websearch and wikipedia searches. This page takes awhile to load if you lots of books on the device. You can shortcut to web or wiki search, but not to dictionary or a specific book. It shows there are 3 matches to 'candide' within the Kindle Download Guide
After selecting the Kindle Download Guide link it lists a snippet around each search hit.
After selecting the first search hit, you are taken to the part of the Guide that has the link to Candide.

Hadrien
12-21-2007, 01:20 PM
Fantastic zartemis, that's even better than screenshots actually !
I'll do a real tutorial thanks to your help.

I'll fix the download problem tonight: I'll add the date to the name of the file, this way, it should download the new guide, although you'll have to erase the older guide.

Hadrien
12-21-2007, 06:09 PM
Ok. Took care of the update problem.
As long as you don't download the guide twice in the same day it'll be fine.

The URL of the guide changed: http://www.feedbooks.com/kindleguide

Next step: Using those screenshots to add a tutorial on Feedbooks

tsgreer
12-21-2007, 09:28 PM
Ok, I have to say that I wasn't a big visitor to your feedbooks page, but after trying this on my Kindle, I have to say you rock. So I will: You rock!

This worked perfect with my Kindle, and the mobi versions that I downloaded worked and looked great. Thank you.

tsgreer
12-21-2007, 09:45 PM
May I ask how many books we have access too with this method? I want to start bragging and sharing the info with my friends.

This pretty much will keep me from ever having to visit Project Gutenberg again!

Hadrien
12-22-2007, 12:36 AM
May I ask how many books we have access too with this method? I want to start bragging and sharing the info with my friends.

This pretty much will keep me from ever having to visit Project Gutenberg again!

About 2.000 books I believe. Feedbooks keep on growing and growing, but we don't simply mass convert books (wouldn't look any good, all of our books have a TOC and chapter headers/page breaks for example), so the growth pace also depends from our users.

elmoglick
12-23-2007, 03:20 PM
Love the book listing file, and have downloaded a few books, however I need to report a couple weirdnessess.

1) Using the file dated 12/21/07, I downloaded an update from the embedded link. It successfully downloaded and created an entry in the Kindle home page with the identical title/date as the original. The only difference is the new one does not have Feedbooks.com in the Author field (it is blank).

2) Wuthering Heights does not download. It keeps claiming I already have the file on my Kindle (which I don't). Not sure to how to determine exactly what filename it's trying to use.

Thanks for any help/fixes you can provide.
Earl

Hadrien
12-23-2007, 03:26 PM
Love the book listing file, and have downloaded a few books, however I need to report a couple weirdnessess.

1) Using the file dated 12/21/07, I downloaded an update from the embedded link. It successfully downloaded and created an entry in the Kindle home page with the identical title/date as the original. The only difference is the new one does not have Feedbooks.com in the Author field (it is blank).

2) Wuthering Heights does not download. It keeps claiming I already have the file on my Kindle (which I don't). Not sure to how to determine exactly what filename it's trying to use.

Thanks for any help/fixes you can provide.
Earl

1) Is normal behavior if we didn't updated the file since your last update.

2) Is obviously a bug on the Kindle side. Usually the file name is "Author - Title.mobi". Anyone had this bug too ?

Edit: Admins/Moderators, don't you think that this thread should be a sticky ?

runciter
12-23-2007, 11:12 PM
Wow! This is awesome! I love it!! Great job :) BTW since you're making tutorials, there is a possible scenario where someone would download your guide/book list, then try to do a search, but the Kindle hasn't indexed the book yet so the search results wouldn't show up in the list (but it would identify the item(s) that weren't indexed yet). I only mentioned it cause it happened to me :)

elmoglick
12-24-2007, 02:34 AM
1) Is normal behavior if we didn't updated the file since your last update.

2) Is obviously a bug on the Kindle side. Usually the file name is "Author - Title.mobi". Anyone had this bug too ?

I could be wrong, but I believe the Wuthering Heights entry is attempting to give the file a null name, which results in the error. Could you take a look at the Download Guide and see if it's missing the filename?

Thanks.

Hadrien
12-24-2007, 08:00 AM
I could be wrong, but I believe the Wuthering Heights entry is attempting to give the file a null name, which results in the error. Could you take a look at the Download Guide and see if it's missing the filename?

Thanks.

Think I know where the problem is coming from. The "ė" from Brontė might be the problem. Could you test with another e-book from one of the Brontė sisters ?

elmoglick
12-24-2007, 08:22 PM
Think I know where the problem is coming from. The "ė" from Brontė might be the problem. Could you test with another e-book from one of the Brontė sisters ?

I think you've nailed it. Same error when trying to snag "Jane Eyre". I also was unable to get the book by Stephane Mallarmé.

Is this something you can fix at your end?

Hadrien
12-24-2007, 08:26 PM
I think you've nailed it. Same error when trying to snag "Jane Eyre".

Is this something you can fix at your end?

Yeah, I guess I can escape the characters that can be a problem on the Kindle. I need a way to find all the characters that are not supported though...

runciter
12-24-2007, 10:18 PM
Also another data point that is more a function/operation of the Kindle and operator error. I encounter the same error message that zartemis encountered, but it was with Orwell/1984 which I knew to be good/valid. The problem occurred because I started to download the file, then I went to another page on the web (on the Kindle) and the file/download did not complete. When I went to download it again, zartemis' error said to delete it from the Content Manager. Because it didn't complete, it didn't show up under the CM. I had to hook it up to my computer via USB (how old school) and then delete the truncated .mobi file.

Hadrien
12-25-2007, 05:26 AM
Also another data point that is more a function/operation of the Kindle and operator error. I encounter the same error message that zartemis encountered, but it was with Orwell/1984 which I knew to be good/valid. The problem occurred because I started to download the file, then I went to another page on the web (on the Kindle) and the file/download did not complete. When I went to download it again, zartemis' error said to delete it from the Content Manager. Because it didn't complete, it didn't show up under the CM. I had to hook it up to my computer via USB (how old school) and then delete the truncated .mobi file.

Well, I guess that I can understand why they call the browser "experimental" now...

Hadrien
12-26-2007, 11:34 AM
OK, here's the upcoming updates to the guide:
- escaping the characters that the Kindle doesn't support. I don't exactly have a list of those characters, I'll escape the accents, it should be a pretty good start.
- links on the author name. This way if you've found a book and you'd like to see what else is available for this author, it'll be much easier.
- once we've launched our mobile website: I'll link the types to the right webpage on our website. This way it'll be easy to jump from the guide to the website.

Anyone found another bug, or would like to share an idea ?

Laurel
12-26-2007, 12:37 PM
Hadrien, I love what you're doing!

I just tried to download La Dame aux Camelias. My Kindle would not accept it, saying I already have a file with the same name. I have the English translation, but not the original French. Is my Kindle translating on me?

Laurel

Hadrien
12-26-2007, 12:46 PM
Hadrien, I love what you're doing!

I just tried to download La Dame aux Camelias. My Kindle would not accept it, saying I already have a file with the same name. I have the English translation, but not the original French. Is my Kindle translating on me?

Laurel

No, I think that it's the same problem than with the Brontė sisters. It's "La Dame aux Camélias", in this case the "é" might be the problem.

Laurel
12-26-2007, 01:29 PM
No, I think that it's the same problem than with the Brontė sisters. It's "La Dame aux Camélias", in this case the "é" might be the problem.

Thanks. I took the accent off, and now I have the French version. The English version has disappeared, however.

FALSE ALARM--Now I have both. It just took awhile for Kindle to register them. Laurel

Hadrien
12-29-2007, 06:36 AM
OK, updated the first message on the topic:
- characters that are not supported on the Kindle are now escaped
- added a help page on Feedbooks
- there's links on the authors now

elmoglick
12-29-2007, 04:10 PM
OK, updated the first message on the topic:
- characters that are not supported on the Kindle are now escaped
- added a help page on Feedbooks
- there's links on the authors now

Perfect. My wife is now enjoying Wuthering Heights.

A tip of the hat to you, sir!

Earl

lubberts
01-01-2008, 05:34 PM
I've just had a fantastic idea form...I have tons of books from the sf ebooks website, webscriptions.net. All of these I have purchased legally, and was able to convienently re-downlowad them to my computer in the kindle friendly mobipocket format. I have nearly 500 of these books (including the ones from the baen free cds and free library) And while they all fit, it is tough to really navigate them well, there are lots of series, and I find my self constantly visiting my "series list" document on my kindle in order to find out which book is supposed to be next chronologically, and then I have to go back to the home page, and either search for the book, or flip the page some odd number of times to reach the right book.
I am pretty un-familuar with programming, html, and the mobipocket format, but seeing this awesome easily usable document got me thinking. Would there be a way for me to either
A) create a mobipocket document on my kindle that has links that actually take me to that particular book without my having to manually go back out and navigate it, or
B) create one giant mobipocket file perhaps, that has all the books from one of the series in one book called "such and such series" and then the table of contents actually links me to those books within the file, or (ideally)
C) be able to create my own online library of sorts with these books stored on a server somewhere, and me with the ability to download them using this document in the order I specify?

Anyone know?

Hadrien
01-01-2008, 05:52 PM
I've just had a fantastic idea form...I have tons of books from the sf ebooks website, webscriptions.net. All of these I have purchased legally, and was able to convienently re-downlowad them to my computer in the kindle friendly mobipocket format. I have nearly 500 of these books (including the ones from the baen free cds and free library) And while they all fit, it is tough to really navigate them well, there are lots of series, and I find my self constantly visiting my "series list" document on my kindle in order to find out which book is supposed to be next chronologically, and then I have to go back to the home page, and either search for the book, or flip the page some odd number of times to reach the right book.
I am pretty un-familuar with programming, html, and the mobipocket format, but seeing this awesome easily usable document got me thinking. Would there be a way for me to either
A) create a mobipocket document on my kindle that has links that actually take me to that particular book without my having to manually go back out and navigate it, or
B) create one giant mobipocket file perhaps, that has all the books from one of the series in one book called "such and such series" and then the table of contents actually links me to those books within the file, or (ideally)
C) be able to create my own online library of sorts with these books stored on a server somewhere, and me with the ability to download them using this document in the order I specify?

Anyone know?

A) Should be possible but it's not. This works with Mobipocket files on the Mobipocket reader for Windows, but it doesn't work on the Kindle or the Cybook.
B) Possible. That's what people who upload omnibus editions usually do on this forum.
C) Possible too, it would basically work like the download guide for Feedbooks.

dugbug
01-04-2008, 08:08 AM
Hadrien,

You sir are amazing. Thanks, what a great job. The only thing I can add would be links for categories. Ie: sci-fi, classics, etc.

-d

Hadrien
01-04-2008, 10:35 AM
Hadrien,

You sir are amazing. Thanks, what a great job. The only thing I can add would be links for categories. Ie: sci-fi, classics, etc.

-d

It's planned. But I don't want to add this directly in the guide: I believe that for the categories, it's very important to be able to list the latest books added in this category or the one that are the most downloaded.

Once our mobile edition is ready, I'll link the categories in the guide to the website, and I'll also add a few direct links to the mobile edition in front of the guide. This way, you'll seamlessly move from the guide to the mobile edition, depending on what you're looking for.

dugbug
01-04-2008, 06:11 PM
If you have not done so, is it possible to create a link in the guide to download the latest guide itself? I don't know if that is possible given the fact that the guide is being "read" at that moment.

Hadrien
01-04-2008, 11:20 PM
If you have not done so, is it possible to create a link in the guide to download the latest guide itself? I don't know if that is possible given the fact that the guide is being "read" at that moment.

It's already in the guide, take a look at the second page.

elfchief
01-05-2008, 12:21 AM
I've only poked at this briefly (so far!) but it seems like a great idea, so I'll definitely be poking more. ;)

The one bit of feedback I have so far, though, is that the list isn't actually alphabetical... at least, not in the sense the term is usually used in dealing with books. You have, for example, "A Christmas Carol" listed under A, when instead it should be under C. Makes it hard to find things!

Other than that, looks good so far, keep up the good work!

Hadrien
01-05-2008, 02:12 AM
I've only poked at this briefly (so far!) but it seems like a great idea, so I'll definitely be poking more. ;)

The one bit of feedback I have so far, though, is that the list isn't actually alphabetical... at least, not in the sense the term is usually used in dealing with books. You have, for example, "A Christmas Carol" listed under A, when instead it should be under C. Makes it hard to find things!

Other than that, looks good so far, keep up the good work!

Yeah I agree, I'll see what I can do to fix that too.

If you know what you're looking for, the easiest way to get it, is to use the search feature on your Kindle. Just type "christmas carol" and your Kindle, will find a match in the Kindle download guide.

geoelectric
01-14-2008, 02:32 AM
Hadrien,

Would it be possible to put an actual link on your site to kindleguide? I know at some point, I'll have lost the bookmark and forgotten the page name.

Hadrien
01-14-2008, 05:07 AM
Hadrien,

Would it be possible to put an actual link on your site to kindleguide? I know at some point, I'll have lost the bookmark and forgotten the page name.

Currently, on the main page for the public domain section, there's random tips displayed, one of them pointing to the Kindle help page: http://www.feedbooks.com/help/kindle

On the mobile edition of the website, I'll display on the homepage a link directly explaining how the guide works.

geoelectric
01-14-2008, 12:36 PM
Awesome. BTW, now that I've had a chance to examine the guide further, I'm quite impressed. This really is about the most convenient way I can think of to download, and I love the "lists" and commentary. Well done!

Hadrien
01-15-2008, 11:59 AM
Awesome. BTW, now that I've had a chance to examine the guide further, I'm quite impressed. This really is about the most convenient way I can think of to download, and I love the "lists" and commentary. Well done!

Yeah, it's very convenient to download books this way. Too bad that you can't overwrite a file on the Kindle though, it would make the process of updating the guide easier.

badgoodDeb
01-16-2008, 04:17 PM
GREAT STUFF!!

I mean, theoretically, at least. Now, if my Kindle would only arrive, I'd be in seventh heaven! Till then, I'm searching and learning everything I can about how to use it. THIS is a marvelous addition!!!

TheJohnNewton
01-17-2008, 04:06 PM
Hadrien,

Very cool service sir! Now if only my Kindle would arrive so I could use it ;-)

Hadrien
01-23-2008, 05:30 AM
Just launched a mobile edition of Feedbooks at http://www.feedbooks.com/mobile

Posted a dedicated thread here: http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19465

Any Kindle user tried this yet ? I'd like to link the guide to a few pages of the mobile edition, for example, clicking on "Science Fiction" would list all SF books on the mobile edition. Same stuff for recently added books and top downloaded books.

Hadrien
01-26-2008, 05:01 PM
Added a few links in the guide that will point directly to the mobile website. This way, if you searched for "Accelerando" for example, when you open the guide and see "Science Fiction" you can also click on it. This will redirect you to the mobile website, where you'll be able to browse all Science Fiction books, and also take a look at the recently added and top downloaded SF books.

Next step for mobile Feedbooks + Kindle will be support for comments. This way, as soon as you've finished reading a book on your Kindle, you'll be able to leave your impressions on the book.

lovebeta
01-26-2008, 05:51 PM
I tried it on my Kindle and it works really well. Thanks man!

But for now, I still prefer your Auto-download guide since that one is searchable directly on Kindle. Do you provide more books on the website than the guide book?

Hadrien
01-26-2008, 06:06 PM
Well, you might get a few more books since it's instantly updated.

It's just a different way to access our database of books. For example, the guide is perfect if you're searching for a book. But if you're for example looking for a new detective story, you can't see the most popular books on the guide, while you can on the mobile website.

I consider that both of them are useful, but for different purposes. I like the fact that we can link together those e-books, the guide and the mobile version. I'll keep on improving things this way.

Hadrien
02-01-2008, 08:56 AM
The guide is now auto-generated every 48H.
You can now log-in, post comments, get recommendations etc... on the mobile website.

Even if you're using the guide, I recommend to log in at least once on the mobile website. This way, it'll log your downloads and provide you with customized recommended books.

lovebeta
02-03-2008, 12:53 AM
Hadrien, thanks for all the effort you put in for Kindle users.

Is there any issue with your new autogen script? I am having trouble download the latest Kindle guide, even from my desktop computer. However the download of regular ebooks seems to be find on my kindle.

Hadrien
02-03-2008, 02:55 AM
Hadrien, thanks for all the effort you put in for Kindle users.

Is there any issue with your new autogen script? I am having trouble download the latest Kindle guide, even from my desktop computer. However the download of regular ebooks seems to be find on my kindle.

Yeah I'm aware of this issue. I'll fix it today and add a little bit of text at the beginning of the guide too.

Edit: Should be okay now.

_Frank_
02-15-2008, 09:16 AM
I've been using the Guide and I think it's fantastic.

However there is one minor suggestion I have. Could the TOC be right justified so that the letters are nearer Kindle's cursor? Currently they are far enough away that I need to guess if I hit the right letter.

Anyway thanks for Guide. I'll never run out of reading material!

Frank

Hadrien
02-15-2008, 09:45 AM
I've been using the Guide and I think it's fantastic.

However there is one minor suggestion I have. Could the TOC be right justified so that the letters are nearer Kindle's cursor? Currently they are far enough away that I need to guess if I hit the right letter.

Anyway thanks for Guide. I'll never run out of reading material!

Frank

Done. Should be available in the next guide update (24/48H).

Karl_in_Chicago
02-16-2008, 04:11 PM
Hello - just wanted to post and say thank you for such a wonderful resource. I received my Kindle Thursday. After loading the feedbooks guide I am simply amazed at the wealth of reading material available to download. Thank you so much for your efforts on this.

Hadrien
02-16-2008, 05:45 PM
Hello - just wanted to post and say thank you for such a wonderful resource. I received my Kindle Thursday. After loading the feedbooks guide I am simply amazed at the wealth of reading material available to download. Thank you so much for your efforts on this.

I'm glad that the guide is helpful :thumbsup:

Hadrien
02-22-2008, 09:36 AM
The TOC is now aligned to the left of the screen. Should be much easier to select something: http://www.feedbooks.com/kindleguide

_Frank_
02-22-2008, 01:11 PM
The TOC is now aligned to the left of the screen. Should be much easier to select something: http://www.feedbooks.com/kindleguide

Yes, it does. Thanks so much!

Frank

lovebeta
02-22-2008, 05:37 PM
I'm glad that the guide is helpful :thumbsup:
It's very very helpful. :)
Hadrien, any news on the cover and rss support for mobi formats? I know you'll announce it when it is ready. Just want to let you know ppl do really want it! :thanks:

Hadrien
02-22-2008, 06:23 PM
It's very very helpful. :)
Hadrien, any news on the cover and rss support for mobi formats? I know you'll announce it when it is ready. Just want to let you know ppl do really want it! :thanks:

Well I've been mostly working on the epub output lately, which is now fully valid and multi-flows. Whenever a handheld device start supporting epub, Feedbooks is ready.

Cover shouldn't be much of a problem, RSS is slightly more difficult...

I can see that a lot of users are already using our guide for the Kindle, the guide is downloaded a few hundred times every day and a lot of our downloads are Mobipocket/Kindle now.

Hadrien
02-24-2008, 09:24 AM
Juste wondering about something: could anyone be kind enough to make a video tutorial for the guide ?

Showing how to download the guide in the browser, and then use the guide to download a few books ? I'd love to add this on the help page to show how it works (can't do it myself, I'm in France: no EVDO), and I'm pretty sure that it would be interesting for a lot of potential Kindle users too.

Hadrien
02-26-2008, 03:14 PM
Added recent books and top downloads (previous week) at the beginning of the guide. Should be up later this week.

No answer to my previous post ? :'(

Raineth
03-08-2008, 07:07 AM
Hi Hadrien,

Just wanted to let you know how much I appreciate your work--the Kindle Download guide is just amazing! Best thing I've downloaded on the Kindle. :)

Laurel
03-08-2008, 01:19 PM
The 'Recent Books' and 'Top Downloads' lists are a great help, Hadrien. Thank you for the wonderful service you are providing.

Hadrien
03-08-2008, 01:34 PM
The 'Recent Books' and 'Top Downloads' lists are a great help, Hadrien. Thank you for the wonderful service you are providing.

Still trying to gradually improve the guide and our Mobipocket output. I've recently added covers on the Mobipocket files and I'm still trying to find the best way to provide personalized recommendations in the guide.

For the moment, personalized recommendations can be accessed through the normal or mobile website.

twokatmew
05-22-2008, 10:40 PM
I am a new Kindle owner and have been debating about sending it back, in part, as I'm afraid I might go broke buying every book I want to read! ;-) Since finding this site today, I've downloaded the guide and used your mobile site to find and download several books already. So I've made up my mind -- I'm keeping my Kindle. Thanks so much for a great resource!!!!

Elsi
05-22-2008, 11:38 PM
Juste wondering about something: could anyone be kind enough to make a video tutorial for the guide ?

Showing how to download the guide in the browser, and then use the guide to download a few books ? I'd love to add this on the help page to show how it works (can't do it myself, I'm in France: no EVDO), and I'm pretty sure that it would be interesting for a lot of potential Kindle users too.

I'd be glad to try. Do you want to PM or e-mail me to discuss? Since this is a long (holiday) weekend, I should have some spare time.

daffy4u
05-23-2008, 12:10 AM
There is a 6 minute Kindle Demonstration video on the Kindle order page that may cover a lot of what Hadrien is looking for.

Hadrien
05-23-2008, 05:52 AM
I'd be glad to try. Do you want to PM or e-mail me to discuss? Since this is a long (holiday) weekend, I should have some spare time.

Thank you Elsi, I'll send you a PM asap.

It would be different from the video on the Kindle's page daffy4u, more of a tutorial/demo of how the Kindle Guide works. I'm sure it would be very helpful for newbies but also convince new consumers to buy this device.

For example:
1) Turning the Kindle on, opening the browser and downloading the guide.
2) Browsing the guide (displaying the different sections, the TOC etc...), using the Kindle search to find a book.
3) Downloading and opening a book.
4) Updating the guide.

Most people are convinced that the only way you can use a Kindle is to pay for books on the Kindle store, or pay for a conversion through the e-mail service. This would be a great way to showcase that the Kindle can also access thousands of free books as easily as on the Kindle store.

Hadrien
06-10-2008, 01:28 PM
I'm working on RSS feeds in Mobipocket. I've included a first sample (started working on this today). Should be ready this month along with a guide that will allow Kindle users to update those feeds and download them to their Kindle whenever they want.

I won't be able to do the push feature like on the Kindle, but it should be fairly easy to use anyway (similar to the Kindle download guide).

Hadrien
06-10-2008, 04:50 PM
Are the blog subscriptions DRM protected on the Kindle ? If they're DRM-free I'd appreciate if someone could send me an example. Otherwise a few screenshots would be useful.

I'm working on the template for RSS feeds right now, compared to the first example, I'll add a table of contents and links at the beginning of each story to skip to the next or previous story.

Ceili
07-05-2008, 05:19 PM
Hi there! Thank you so much for putting this together, I finally downloaded the list today and tried to download a book. The book, "A Lost Lady" by Willa Cather shows up on my Home page, but when I try to read it I receive the following error:

The selected item could not be opened. Please use your computer to visit Amazon.com and click on "ManageYourKindle" on the "Your Account" page for help in solving this issue.

I went to My account page and checked managing your kindle but I don't see anything that leads me to figure out the problem. The book does not show up anywhere on my pages on the amazon site... so, I'm not sure where to go from here. Is it possible I've not done something else first that I should have?

(I should say, I'm having a slightly brain dead week here, at least as far as doing anything technical for personal reasons is concerned :( Work stuff is going fine, but personal stuff... bleh)

Leep
07-06-2008, 01:02 AM
Hi there! Thank you so much for putting this together, I finally downloaded the list today and tried to download a book. The book, "A Lost Lady" by Willa Cather shows up on my Home page, but when I try to read it I receive the following error:

The selected item could not be opened. Please use your computer to visit Amazon.com and click on "ManageYourKindle" on the "Your Account" page for help in solving this issue.

I went to My account page and checked managing your kindle but I don't see anything that leads me to figure out the problem. The book does not show up anywhere on my pages on the amazon site... so, I'm not sure where to go from here. Is it possible I've not done something else first that I should have?

(I should say, I'm having a slightly brain dead week here, at least as far as doing anything technical for personal reasons is concerned :( Work stuff is going fine, but personal stuff... bleh)
I was able to download the same book and it works just fine on my Kindle - perhaps you got the wrong format if you downloaded it from the RSS feed. You might try downloading it again, just make sure that you get the mobipocket/kindle format.

cheers

Ceili
07-06-2008, 06:24 AM
Hi and thank you for your response :) I checked the book, it was a mobi book, so I thought it should work. Then I remembered that I'd clicked a button after I thought the DL was done, and it wasn't (the screen goes blank during it). I deleted the book on my kindle and downloaded it again and it works fine. YAY! :)

More new books! :book2:

Hadrien
07-06-2008, 09:21 AM
I've heard of such issues a few times, the download works fine but the file is corrupted. It can be on our end but usually, it's a network issue and simply deleting and downloading the book again should work. If it doesn't, you can always send me an e-mail and I'll check everything.

@Leep: we don't link to the files directly in the RSS feed but maybe we should now that we can turn RSS feeds into files for the Kindle. This way you could for example download the feed for the latest SciFi books and download the books directly from this file. Like a custom download guide...

Leep
07-06-2008, 11:54 AM
What you're doing for us is fantasic. And thanks for making it so easy for the Kindle.

I spent 2 days trying to get mobi2mobi to work until I redownloaded, so your statement about occasionally corrupted download files really hits home.

patricknnicolle
07-11-2008, 01:49 PM
This has single handy helped me so much. I can't see myself without this post. Thank you so much! I just hope other Kindle users can find this guide. Really opened up a lot of doors.

Again, Thank you.
http://bighost4u.com/amazon_kindle.jpg

Hadrien
07-11-2008, 01:55 PM
This has single handy helped me so much. I can't see myself without this post. Thank you so much! I just hope other Kindle users can find this guide. Really opened up a lot of doors.

Again, Thank you.
http://bighost4u.com/amazon_kindle.jpg

Glad that this is helpful. We've recently added another neat feature for Kindle owners: http://www.feedbooks.com/help/kindle#rss

MonaLS
08-31-2008, 08:18 PM
Love the Guide! Any reason you know of why a downloaded book won't open? Thanks! Mona (brand new Kindle user)

Hadrien
08-31-2008, 08:23 PM
Aside from a corrupted download, no. Since you're downloading over EVDO, you might get corrupted files once in a while. Just erase it and download again.

MonaLS
08-31-2008, 08:25 PM
THANK YOU!!! I deleted it, downloaded again and it works perfectly!

Hadrien
10-20-2008, 07:15 AM
I'm working on a complete redesign of the guide, should be online in the upcoming days.

Hadrien
10-20-2008, 09:34 AM
First version of the redesigned Kindle Guide available: http://www.feedbooks.com/kindleguide

- New design philosophy: since it's much easier to click on an element that's on the right of the screen, I've moved all the links to the right
- One page for every author and book, with a description if it's available (I'll introduce various improvements to the main website to multiply the number of descriptions), and several links
- Better integration between the mobile website and the guide: you can look for similar books, add a comment, browse a subject etc...

I'll keep on improving the new guide and I'll probably add more content too, now that authors can easily upload their own creations too: http://www.feedbooks.com/userbooks/recent?lang=en
I'll probably do a special feature for NaNoWriMo next month: http://www.nanowrimo.org

Any feedback would be helpful.

pilotbob
10-20-2008, 02:58 PM
- New design philosophy: since it's much easier to click on an element that's on the right of the screen, I've moved all the links to the right
- One page for every author and book, with a description if it's available (I'll introduce various improvements to the main website to multiply the number of descriptions), and several links

Any feedback would be helpful.

Much better to read... but weird problems...

I navigated to TOC... then page to authors list. From there I page to Doctorow, Cory. I click on him and it goes to his bio page... so far so good. But, from there I click back, it should (expected) take me back to the list of authors... but it takes me back to Location 24572. Also, on this page everything is on the left margin. If I press back again I am taken to location 91... once again every thing is left justified, not right justified.

Also... on TOC Recently Added and Top Downloads are not right justified... is this on purpose?

Suggestion... on the TOC have the following links:

Recently Added
Top Downloads
Books - Alphabetical Order link to Index
Author Alphabetical Order link to Index

I would also like to see an Apha Index added for Authors like you have for books.

Hadrien
10-20-2008, 03:09 PM
I navigated to TOC... then page to authors list. From there I page to Doctorow, Cory. I click on him and it goes to his bio page... so far so good. But, from there I click back, it should (expected) take me back to the list of authors... but it takes me back to Location 24572. Also, on this page everything is on the left margin. If I press back again I am taken to location 91... once again every thing is left justified, not right justified.

That's a common problem with Mobipocket. Instead of, let's say ePub with DE where the whole XML flow is parsed, Mobipocket doesn't parse everything. Therefore, if you jump somewhere, you can have problem with the tags. In this case it's the alignment but it could have been a problem with bold/italics etc... I could specify how each item should be aligned instead of using a block, but I'm not even sure that this would fix the problem with Mobipocket's behavior.

Also... on TOC Recently Added and Top Downloads are not right justified... is this on purpose?

Nah, I need to fix this.

Suggestion... on the TOC have the following links:

Recently Added
Top Downloads
Books - Alphabetical Order link to Index
Author Alphabetical Order link to Index

Well, take a look at the file on your computer and you'll notice that these links are already both in the real TOC, and the inline HTML TOC. Unfortunately, TOC support is very limited on the Kindle.

I would also like to see an Apha Index added for Authors like you have for books.

It's already in the TOC.

pilotbob
10-20-2008, 03:24 PM
It's already in the TOC.

Ok,

I'm not seeing this.

On my Kindle I go to TOC... I see:

"Recently Added" link
"Top Downloads" Link

"Books - Alphabetical Order"

a..z links

"Authors - Alphabetical Order"

list of authors as links

"Lists - Alphabetical Order" ... etc

Where is the a..z index links for authors?

BOb

Hadrien
10-20-2008, 03:28 PM
Ok,

I'm not seeing this.

On my Kindle I go to TOC... I see:

"Recently Added" link
"Top Downloads" Link

"Books - Alphabetical Order"

a..z links

"Authors - Alphabetical Order"

list of authors as links

"Lists - Alphabetical Order" ... etc

Where is the a..z index links for authors?

BOb

Ok, that what you called an alpha index (keep in mind that english isn't my first language). Yes, in this case there's only a list of authors in alphabetical order.
I could change this to: Authors - Alphabetical Order -> A-Z -> Authors for each letter

pilotbob
10-20-2008, 03:31 PM
Ok, that what you called an alpha index (keep in mind that english isn't my first language). Yes, in this case there's only a list of authors in alphabetical order.

Yes sorry... that's why I said "index" not "list" ... No worries.

I could change this to: Authors - Alphabetical Order -> A-Z -> Authors for each letter

I think that would make it easier to navigate the authors list. If I know the authors last name starts with "U" I won't have to go through 25 or so pages of the list.

BOb

Hadrien
10-20-2008, 05:57 PM
Just updated the guide once again thanks to your feedback: http://www.feedbooks.com/kindleguide

pilotbob
10-20-2008, 06:20 PM
Just updated the guide once again thanks to your feedback: http://www.feedbooks.com/kindleguide

Nice. This one is great. Also, now when I go back it maintains the alignment... did you change something on that?

Your service is great. Do you have a donate paypal account? I looked on your front page and don't see one. You should add it.

BOb

Hadrien
11-07-2008, 05:17 AM
Added a few extra items in the guide:
- Original books with each month the selection of most popular books. For example, Mortal Ghost (http://www.feedbooks.com/userbook/120), Fall Love (http://www.feedbooks.com/userbook/1900), Mars Girl (http://www.feedbooks.com/userbook/1206), Rowan of the Wood (http://www.feedbooks.com/userbook/1998)...
- The list of all subjects on Feedbooks in the TOC

feeji
12-05-2008, 04:18 PM
Thanks for the guide. Tried it out and it works great.

detacht69
02-23-2009, 08:33 PM
This site is neat! I'd donate if I could just because they have a great selection and easy to navigate and download.

But I'm sad they don't have some of my fav authors like

Chuck Palahniuk
Henry Miller
Hunter S. Thompson
Elmore Leonard
Cormac McCarthy

pilotbob
02-23-2009, 08:37 PM
Chuck Palahniuk
Henry Miller
Hunter S. Thompson
Elmore Leonard
Cormac McCarthy

You do realize the Feedbooks.com only has books that are in the public domain right? All of the authors you list above are pretty contemporary and half of them are still alive. Books don't go into the public domain in the US until 70 years after the authors death.

BOb

detacht69
02-23-2009, 08:44 PM
Oh... I did NOT realize that.. lol but now that you mention it I DO realize now the books there are pretty old

pilotbob
02-23-2009, 08:46 PM
Oh... I did NOT realize that.. lol but now that you mention it I DO realize now the books there are pretty old

No problem. But, there are ALOT of good books on there... even if they are old. But, there are quite a bit of new ones too. Look for Cory Doctorow's books, look for Mars Girl, look for Richard Herley's books.

BOb

detacht69
02-23-2009, 08:56 PM
Oh yeah! I'm not doubting the quality of the selection, just making an observation.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look them up. I've already downloaded in anticipation
http://img516.imageshack.us/img516/9960/img0466.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
By detacht69 (http://profile.imageshack.us/user/detacht69)

svakanda
02-27-2009, 07:03 AM
ewww Nietzche :P

http://www.pppcm.com/61l772.jpg

kuniko
03-03-2009, 12:05 AM
I think one of the best things about the Feedbooks Download guide is that it seems like everybook has a little summary somewhere in the guide. For instance, I did a search just on the word mermaid (hey, I like mermaids) and found a cute little book that didn't have mermaid in the title but had mermaids in it, and even sounds like a good read for me.

So not only can you do searches by title and author...you can also find books in that long list that maybe you didn't know existed but you might like to read.

It was awesome =^.^=

kevindorsey
03-04-2009, 05:18 PM
I think one of the best things about the Feedbooks Download guide is that it seems like everybook has a little summary somewhere in the guide. For instance, I did a search just on the word mermaid (hey, I like mermaids) and found a cute little book that didn't have mermaid in the title but had mermaids in it, and even sounds like a good read for me.

So not only can you do searches by title and author...you can also find books in that long list that maybe you didn't know existed but you might like to read.

It was awesome =^.^=

Yea, I found that also quite useful.

tylerdurden51
04-04-2009, 04:32 AM
No problem. But, there are ALOT of good books on there... even if they are old. But, there are quite a bit of new ones too. Look for Cory Doctorow's books, look for Mars Girl, look for Richard Herley's books.

BOb

oldies but goodies :) :bookworm:

BobDobalina
04-21-2009, 10:43 AM
Hi there, somehow missed Feedbooks until now and think this is a great service ... but can't seem to get anything to work.

I started with The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, which downloads fine via the guide, but the Kindle won't display the book, showing an error message after I select the title in the home list. I then tried Wuthering Heights, both through the guide and directly through the browser, and while it downloads either way and appears in the list that book won't open either. I saw an earlier message from years ago about Bronte books, but am guessing there was a work-around made for those at this point?

Any suggestions?

:edit: Also tried downloading over USB... no dice :(

BobDobalina
04-21-2009, 10:57 AM
BTW, the error is "The selected item could not be opened..."

:edit: Okay, figured it out. I was still on firmware 1.0.8. Upgraded to 1.2 and hey presto, everything's fine. :)

AWFord
05-07-2009, 04:59 PM
Hoping it's just a temporary service outage and not a site-gone-by, but all I can get is server timeout messages from Feedbooks all day today...:zoiks:

AWFord
05-09-2009, 03:13 PM
Bump - been 2 days and feedbooks is still not accessible, but I can get the guide directly on the Kindle...

Anyone else having problems getting to Feedbooks from their PC?

wallcraft
05-09-2009, 04:30 PM
Anyone else having problems getting to Feedbooks from their PC? I can get to http://feedbooks.com/ using Firefox on a Windows XP PC, and I was able to download a MOBI ebook.

desertgrandma
05-09-2009, 06:43 PM
Bump - been 2 days and feedbooks is still not accessible, but I can get the guide directly on the Kindle...

Anyone else having problems getting to Feedbooks from their PC?

I've gotten there 3 times since you started posting just to make sure it was accessible, and I've had no problems each time....Just tried it and site showed up immediately. I'm running Vista...(not my choice)

Here is Hadrian's email address from his "about" page.

hadrien.gardeur@feedbooks.com

Perhaps he can help you find out why you cannot connect.

AWFord
05-18-2009, 06:17 PM
Thanks, it appears to be something specific with my ISP. I can reach it through Whispernet as well as at work, but get 'server not found' message only at home. Stupid COMCAST... :)

kurochka
06-26-2009, 11:07 AM
When I enter http://www.feedbooks.com/kindleguide into the Kindle browser, I get a 404 Error. Have I missed something? I can go to the homepage though; it works fine.

ashash
09-14-2009, 08:30 PM
Thanks, it appears to be something specific with my ISP. I can reach it through Whispernet as well as at work, but get 'server not found' message only at home. Stupid COMCAST... http://www.imagecontent.info/img/K/h.gif

LOL!
i have comcast as well.
not for much longer though.

great guide!
very awesome thread!
thanks so much!

mario40
04-11-2010, 09:51 AM
Any feedback yet ?

May you could help me if you could describe the downloading steps of a newspaper, may be automaticly, with Feedbooks?

E.g. for the German newspaper Sueddeutsche Zeitung:
URL:
http://www.sueddeutsche.de/app/epsta...ion=epaper_abo
Login at this URL with:
Username: xxxxxxxxx
Password: xxxxxxxxx
After login I can select if I want the complete newspaper or selectable articles.
The newspaper arrives daily without sunday.

It woud help me a lot to understand Feedbooks.

kevindorsey
04-13-2010, 12:40 PM
Isn't there a guide included with feeds?

cheerio6414
04-25-2010, 06:57 PM
never checked

amyj
05-07-2010, 12:30 PM
nice.
this should help. ill give it a go and return with some feedback.
thanks again.

cheerio6414
05-07-2010, 02:30 PM
Cant wait

mrtiny2010
05-12-2010, 02:37 AM
Awesome! very helpful and thx for sharing

Grant
06-22-2010, 10:27 PM
Thanks!

colin_lau
07-05-2010, 12:09 PM
Great! Thanks a lot.

wrdus
07-13-2010, 07:42 PM
Thankyou Sir!

ralfmayo
10-03-2010, 12:08 PM
I just got a new US Kindle 3 (3G) but I'm not able to install the Feedbooks Guide.

I installed the guide directly using the Kindle browser from http://www.feedbooks.com/kindleguide, the Kindle says the file was downloaded correctly, however the guide shows up as ".............................." and when I try to access it, I get the following error message: "The selected item could not be opened. If you purchased this item from Amazon, delete the item and redownload it from Archived Items available in Home."

I then deleted the book from the Kindle and tried downloading the .mobi file directly through my PC browser and saved the file in the Kindle's "content" directly, but that gives me the same result.

I updated the Kindle's Firmware to 3.0.2 and retried the above but it still doesn't work.

Anyone ever experience this? I was able to install the Mobipocket Guide, and the Magic Catalog without any problems.

st0rmchild
10-03-2010, 12:14 PM
Yep, same here. The file is only 96 Bytes in size. It seems the generating script fails.

poohbear_nc
10-03-2010, 12:20 PM
Interesting - I downloaded this guide on my K3 using 3G and it is currently on my K3 and works fine (I'm still on the 3.0.1 firmware).
I'm wondering if there has been a tweak in the new web browser on later K3's that won't sync with the current Feedbooks download/installation script. I suggest logging your problem in on the Feedbooks website (support@feedbooks.com) and share your answers here for others that may have your problem.

desertgrandma
10-03-2010, 12:35 PM
Awesome! very helpful and thx for sharing

Thanks!

Great! Thanks a lot.

Thankyou Sir!

I just got a new US Kindle 3 (3G) but I'm not able to install the Feedbooks Guide.

I installed the guide directly using the Kindle browser from http://www.feedbooks.com/kindleguide, the Kindle says the file was downloaded correctly, however the guide shows up as ".............................." and when I try to access it, I get the following error message: "The selected item could not be opened. If you purchased this item from Amazon, delete the item and redownload it from Archived Items available in Home."

I then deleted the book from the Kindle and tried downloading the .mobi file directly through my PC browser and saved the file in the Kindle's "content" directly, but that gives me the same result.

I updated the Kindle's Firmware to 3.0.2 and retried the above but it still doesn't work.

Anyone ever experience this? I was able to install the Mobipocket Guide, and the Magic Catalog without any problems.

Welcome to MobileRead, everyone.

When you get your problem sorted out, please come introduce yourself (see link below), start a new thread, and let us greet you. :)

desertblues
10-04-2010, 03:07 AM

I installed the guide directly using the Kindle browser from http://www.feedbooks.com/kindleguide, the Kindle says the file was downloaded correctly, however the guide shows up as ".............................." and when I try to access it, I get the following error message: "The selected item could not be opened. If you purchased this item from Amazon, delete the item and redownload it from Archived Items available in Home."............

Me too; anybody has gotten an answer yet? :bookworm:

KarlB
10-26-2010, 09:37 AM

I'm having a similar problem. I've been using the Feedbooks Guide for a long time on my Kindle 2, but when I went to update it yesterday I got the above-described error message and a file that my Kindle won't open. I can download the Feedbooks Guide on my Mac, and even open and view it using the Macintosh Kindle client, but when I manually move it to my Kindle, the Kindle still won't open it. Multiple attempts produce the same results.

This is really frustrating. The Feedbooks catalog has been an excellent resource; its public domain books are almost always better-formatted than the same book available through Amazon's Kindle store.

pilotbob
10-26-2010, 09:40 AM
This is really frustrating. The Feedbooks catalog has been an excellent resource; its public domain books are almost always better-formatted than the same book available through Amazon's Kindle store.

I would just delete it and try to d/l it again. Perhaps something happened during the transfer.

i agree... I use the Feedbooks guide all the time. Did you also d/l the Mobileread guide?

BOb

KarlB
10-26-2010, 09:46 AM
I would just delete it and try to d/l it again. Perhaps something happened during the transfer.

i agree... I use the Feedbooks guide all the time. Did you also d/l the Mobileread guide?

BOb

Yeah, I tried that, several times over. Another weird symptom is that the "delete" function doesn't work for the guide on my Kindle. I had to connect the Kindle to my computer and manually delete the file from the documents folder.

Yes, I use the Mobileread guide too. It looks like that's all I'll be using for PD books for the time being...

pilotbob
10-26-2010, 10:08 AM
Yeah, I tried that, several times over. Another weird symptom is that the "delete" function doesn't work for the guide on my Kindle. I had to connect the Kindle to my computer and manually delete the file from the documents folder.

Yes, I use the Mobileread guide too. It looks like that's all I'll be using for PD books for the time being...

Hmm... the Feedbooks one is auto built every day I think. Try again and tomorrow and if you still have trouble, you might want to ping Hadrien.

I don't have any problem deleting them right from my Kindle Classic.

BOb

desertblues
10-26-2010, 10:10 AM

Same for me. I never could get the Kindle Download Guide to work, but before I had the update 3.0.3 I could at least delete it. :eek:

Yesterdag I downloaded it to try if it worked. But no, now I can't even delete it and it seems to make my Kindle unstable ?; it goes to ' searchfunction' spontaneously and in the space for the search it says ' 6h7v'. I'm baffled and will try to connect to my computer to delete that guide.:eek:

desertblues
10-26-2010, 02:12 PM
BTW. I downloaded the Mobile Read Guide and it works like a charm. ;)
Don't understand why my Kindle gets stuck on Feedbooks Kindle Guide.:eek:
I managed to get it off my Kindle through my PC as it didn't open and I couldn't delete it on the Kindle.:eek:

tomsem
10-26-2010, 02:36 PM
I'm having a similar problem. I've been using the Feedbooks Guide for a long time on my Kindle 2, but when I went to update it yesterday I got the above-described error message and a file that my Kindle won't open. I can download the Feedbooks Guide on my Mac, and even open and view it using the Macintosh Kindle client, but when I manually move it to my Kindle, the Kindle still won't open it. Multiple attempts produce the same results.

I had the same problem. I think there's some problem with their web server prematurely terminating the download and thus corrupting the file. Eventually I got a 'good' copy, which I won't be updating for awhile, or at least I won't replace it until I'm sure the new one is good. The 'good' copy (19Oct2010) is 1,952,488 bytes. One of the bad ones (supposedly successfully downloaded) was only about 450KB. Presumably newer ones should be larger than 1,952,488 bytes.

I checked their Facebook feed and someone else had also reported this problem, which also mysteriously disappeared.

pilotbob
10-26-2010, 04:22 PM
You guys should really send feedbooks or Hadrien an email about the issues. It may be something with the code or server and he is not aware of it.

BOb

desertblues
10-26-2010, 04:43 PM
You guys should really send feedbooks or Hadrien an email about the issues. It may be something with the code or server and he is not aware of it.

BOb

Have send an email to support@feedbooks.com

tomsem
10-26-2010, 04:45 PM
BTW inability to delete is because Kindle is trying to index it. But because of the file corruption (or whatever) indexing never finishes.

desertblues
10-27-2010, 03:04 AM
BTW inability to delete is because Kindle is trying to index it. But because of the file corruption (or whatever) indexing never finishes.

Aha; and then indexing makes the Kindle unstable..........etc.
Thanks.:bulb2::thumbsup:

desertblues
10-27-2010, 09:05 AM
Send the email and got a speedy reply from feedbooks:
-------------------------------
thanks for your message. We got several reports of problems with the Kindleguide on the Kindle3 ; apparently, Amazon changed something in their code which was causing a conflict. We don't have a Kindle3 available for testing but based on the reports we made some modifications, and users who volunteered for beta testing have reported that the new version is working fine for them.

Note that we have added quite a lot of books to our catalogue recently and the file was becoming too large for the Kindle to index, so we were obliged to remove all the lists except one; I mention this because one user noticed and believed she got a corrupted download or incomplete file.

Please delete the old Kindleguide from your Kindle (I believe that you can do this from your computer while the Kindle is connected via usb; if not, please ask Kindle support or on MobileRead forums for confirmation), and download the latest version. If you still have trouble with the file, please let us know.
----------------------

:bookworm: I downloaded the Kindleguide again--couldn't open it, nor delete it. Then I downloaded it to my PC and transferred it by USB to ' documents' on my Kindle. Works like a charm now. But strange; about not being able to open it when downloaded on the Kindle.:chinscratch:
I'll let feedbooks know.

desertblues
10-27-2010, 09:39 AM
And feedbooks last advice:

------------
Thanks so much for the feedback. I'm really not sure why you are having trouble downloading it from your Kindle, but it's possible that it's due to the large size of the file, the connection may be timing out before the download is complete. I will nonetheless signal this to our techs, but if it's a problem with the connection we won't be able to fix that.

But I am very glad that you got it working by side-loading it via usb.

Don't forget also that if you ever have trouble using the Kindle guide, you can always browse Feedbooks directly on your Kindle using our mobile version: http://m.feedbooks.com/

---------------------

heatherine
01-17-2011, 11:54 AM
I have read through these post because I am having problems with my feedbooks guide. I have deleted it and redownloaded it, I have downloaded it to my computer and transferred it via USB and I still cannot get it to open. Everytime I do, it says "The selected item could not be opened. If you purchased this item from Amazon, delete the item and redownload it from Archived Items available in Home." This has been two days of trying to get feedbooks to work, I've never had a problem before. Has anyone heard anything new about how to fix this? thanks.

desertblues
01-17-2011, 04:16 PM
Heatherine : Since the last time I posted about Feedbooks I had my Kindle replaced (for something else) and a new Kindle. That was in november and on both Kindles I loaded the guide by just typing the URL . And it worked like a flash.

However: I tried it for you on my Kindle tonight; tried a few times actually, and it appeared if nothing had downloaded. I did a random search (typing randomly something like xgsnf) and then select search. And 3 Feedbooks guides were stuck in my Kindle. I could only delete them from the computer (in Kindle's documents). And when something is stuck indexing....the Kindle goes unstable.
And take care: I couldn't see those files in 'home', so without the random search I wouldn't have known that.:eek:

It's not your Kindle which is at fault, but Feedbooks. Their downloadguide is quite big and sometimes too big. Just email them support@feedbooks.com about your problem, and wait till they've solved this, before attempting to download again. In the meantime you could download their books from the mobile version. :blink:

But to be honest: I find the books from the Mobile Read downloadguide quicker to download and somewhat better formatted. But that's a personal thing.:)

Little.Egret
01-18-2011, 04:22 PM
[...]
It's not your Kindle which is at fault, but Feedbooks. Their downloadguide is quite big and sometimes too big.
[...]

Not really.

The "cannot read, cannot delete" thing can happen on any download, the larger the ebook the more likely. I got it on a ordinary ebook, the second shot at a download worked (but said name(2)) and I could read it but had to do a reset shortly because attempt to read other books caused a freeze.

The reset got things working and I deleted the damaged item using the USB lin the next day.

heatherine
01-21-2011, 08:49 PM
Thanks so much. I will send the email and give the Mobile Read a try. I just had been using the feedbooks for a while and really liked it. :)

scop
01-23-2011, 04:02 AM
I have had similar problems trying to download the guide in the last few days. No matter what I try it doesn't work. I sent a query to the support email but the reply was generic and indicated they had not checked it to see if there was a problem at their end.

When I download it directly, or sideload it via USB, I get:

"The selected item could not be opened, If you purchased this item from Amazon, delete the item and download it from Archived items"

If I try to import it into Calibre I get:

ERROR: Could not open ebook: string index out of range

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\viewer\main.py", line 62, in run
File "threading.py", line 483, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\oeb\iterator.py", line 195, in __enter__
File "site-packages\calibre\customize\conversion.py", line 204, in __call__
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\mobi\input.py", line 27, in convert
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\mobi\reader.py", line 303, in extract_content
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\mobi\reader.py", line 766, in extract_text
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\mobi\reader.py", line 761, in text_section
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\mobi\reader.py", line 756, in sizeof_trailing_entries
IndexError: string index out of range

My new device is the International Kindle 3, fw 3.0.2

The file size downloads as 44KB, which seems too small. However I can't download it via a download manager because the url is not a direct one, there seems to be some url rewriting going on and I can't work out the direct link.

If anyone else could upload the file elsewhere I could try and download it again. TIA. :)

By the way, this is my first post at Mobileread! ;)

Tim.

scop
01-28-2011, 01:51 AM
FYI, I discussed this issue with Feedbooks and they told me that they have just decided to discontinue the Kindle Download Guide due to the amount of work and difficulty keeping it working. It's no longer available on the website.

desertblues
01-28-2011, 04:48 AM
Did they say wether the guides one already has, will continue to be working?

scop
01-28-2011, 07:04 AM
I didn't ask them that question specifically, but I think it will continue to work. They sent me the last version and it still works.

The kindle guide just links to the online catalogue so as long as they don't change the web page addresses it should continue to work.

Obviously as they don't produce the guide any longer they wouldn't provide any guarantees though. :(

desertblues
01-28-2011, 07:16 AM
I didn't ask them that question specifically, but I think it will continue to work. They sent me the last version and it still works.

The kindle guide just links to the online catalogue so as long as they don't change the web page addresses it should continue to work.

Obviously as they don't produce the guide any longer they wouldn't provide any guarantees though. :(

thanks; yes, it is a pity. :)

scop
01-30-2011, 10:15 PM
I notice also that the RSS service mentioned at http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92311 is no longer offered by Feedbooks. That thread needs to be updated. I still think Feedbooks is a great site though, they offer a very professional service and a great catalogue.