View Full Version : Accessories Hand made Kindle case designed to look like a book

artsci
12-16-2007, 08:20 PM
I've updated this post with a link to my other post on the new version of this cover I created for my Kindle 2. Here's s link to that thread:

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40384

I've also created a new thread with a series on instructions on how the make the Leonardo leather cover for the Kindle 2. Here's s link to that thread:

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43083

While I love my new Kindle, I found the case very disappointing. A search of the Web revealed no third-party cases of any kind, so I decided to make my own. Since I know a bit about book making techniques, I decided to make a case that looked like a fine book that when opened revealed the Kindle -- a kind of old world, new world idea. I started with a lovely leather book cover hand made in Florence for a calendar, cut out the calendar, added some marbleized paper for the end papers, and used gold leaf to create the illusion of gllded pages when the book is closed. The Kindle slides into a felt-lined holder which secures it tightly in place. Some photos are provided below.

Now that I've made one, I've learned a few tricks that will make improvements possible on the next one, which I'm starting in a few days.

Some photos are provided below. I love the illusion of an old book masking the Kindle, and I've already fooled some friends with it. If anyone is interested in how this was done, let me know and I'll post detailed instructions.

Here are several shots of the case closed.

http://photos.imageevent.com/artsci/kindlebook/websize/DSC_0255.JPG

http://photos.imageevent.com/artsci/kindlebook/websize/DSC_0250.JPG

Surprise, there's a Kindle what appears to be classic book.

http://photos.imageevent.com/artsci/kindlebook/websize/DSC_0239.JPG

http://photos.imageevent.com/artsci/kindlebook/websize/DSC_0261.JPG

lubberts
12-17-2007, 12:04 AM
Holy freaking cow!! That is BEAUTIFUL!! I love my kindle so far, my only qualm is the case. I came on the forum tonight to see if anyone had found a third party solution to the included case, and this is far and beyond my expectations! My girlfriend, self, and dad got one for christmas, and now I know what I'm going to make them to go with it! I would LOVE more information on how you constructed the case, and if you could take pictures while you make the next one you'd be my hero! Now I've just got to find the perfect books to start with...
I had something similar in mind in terms of using an old book, but my design involved cutting squares out of each page, and left ALOT to be desired.
Thanks for the brilliant Idea!!

RWood
12-17-2007, 12:06 AM
Looks great. Nice contrast between the case and the Kindle.

Ervserver
12-17-2007, 12:26 AM
Beautiful, great work!

Alisa
12-17-2007, 01:40 AM
Gorgeous!

cfw123
12-17-2007, 01:50 AM
I love it. What a great idea. Can't some entrepreneual person out there make a business of making them. For a reasonable price of course.

Charles Wilkes, San Joses, CA

Sparrow
12-17-2007, 03:02 AM
It looks fabulous, congratulations.

I think similar commercial items would be sold as 'book safes' (Amazon seem to stock a few).

artsci
12-18-2007, 02:39 PM
I've been communicating with Jenni Bick, the owner of Jenni Bick bookbinding (www.jennibick.com). She's the importer of the Leonardo leather book cover I used to hand make my case. Jenni said that after the holidays she will contact her production sources in Florence about making a case for the Kindle like the one I created. Knowing the capabilities of Italian leather craftsmen, I'm sure they will come up with a superb product.

I'll post updates here as I get news from Jenni about progress. In the meantime, I'll be helping her work out a number of details relating to the functionality of any case she develops.

It looks like we may be on our way to a marvelous case that will be available to all.

marcymckenzie
12-18-2007, 09:51 PM
I would love detailed directions for making this cover. What a great idea. Beautiful. marcy

pbennett
12-19-2007, 01:10 AM
It looks like we may be on our way to a marvelous case that will be available to all.

Just please make sure it's usable while reading! It looks like your case (while absolutely gorgeous!) wouldn't be very useful while reading. Did you design yours purely as a carrying case and nothing more?

artsci
12-19-2007, 08:05 AM
Actually, it's quite useful while reading. I've used it to read on planes, trains, at the kitchen table, and in bed. The cover lies totally flat when open, and it's easy to prop up -- much more convenient for reading, actually, than a paper book.

peitsao
12-19-2007, 08:13 AM
Awesome! I would buy one!

RobertGloverJr
12-19-2007, 09:03 AM
I insist the Kindle community take note of my situation... that of a train and subway commuter who reads his Kindle standing up in rush hour traffic on trains and subways.

It is impossible for me to read the Kindle on trains and subways, standing up, unless I fold the Kindle holder backwards upon itself. That allows me to hold the Kindle with one hand.

I would not even *think* of buying a replacement holder for the Kindle unless it could fold back on itself. The idea of reading the Kindle while it is lying flat on a table with the cover open is ridiculous to me and hundreds of thousands of other train commuters.

The Kindle holder that came with my Kindle folds back upon itself perfectly. I am amazed more people do not realize that.

NatCh
12-19-2007, 11:26 AM
Welcome to MobileRead, RobertGloverJr! :welcome: Your situation is hereby duly noted. :nice:

For what it's worth, I mostly use my PRS500 with the cover folded all the way back too. I find it handier that way for most of my reading situations.

Clearly, your usage requirements mean that this particular holder/cover is probably not what you need. However, it seems to be precisely what others need. So now that this need seems to be well in hand (so to speak), it's time to look into covers that will fit other needs, such as your own.

Has anyone contacted MEdge yet to see if they're working on a cover for the Kindle? they've done them for everyone else, I expect that Kindle would be on their list, and their covers are well suited for one-handed use.

NatCh
12-19-2007, 11:29 AM
Ah, just checked M Edge's site, and they have a comment that they expect a Kindle case sometime next month:
http://www.buymedge.com/p_kindleoptions.html

Coming mid-January 2008! Executive and Leisure style jackets in a variety of colors!

yvanleterrible
12-19-2007, 11:49 AM
NatCh might be too shy to say but he made a very nice case from an existing book (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showpost.php?p=50275&postcount=9). There is a how to post but I just can't find it.

NatCh
12-19-2007, 11:55 AM
:grin: Thanks, Yvan, but the wooden case is the real gem (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8994).

There's a link to the hollow book instructions here (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?p=50292#post50292), if someone wants them.

artsci
12-19-2007, 12:25 PM
I insist the Kindle community take note of my situation... that of a train and subway commuter who reads his Kindle standing up in rush hour traffic on trains and subways.

It is impossible for me to read the Kindle on trains and subways, standing up, unless I fold the Kindle holder backwards upon itself. That allows me to hold the Kindle with one hand.

I would not even *think* of buying a replacement holder for the Kindle unless it could fold back on itself. The idea of reading the Kindle while it is lying flat on a table with the cover open is ridiculous to me and hundreds of thousands of other train commuters.

The Kindle holder that came with my Kindle folds back upon itself perfectly. I am amazed more people do not realize that.

Actually, my "book" folds back on itself and can easily held in one hand while standing. The spine of the cover is very flexible (it has none of the spring of the stock case), so its very easy to fold back.

Even though I made this for my own use, having read people's complaints before I started work, I took all of these things into consideration. I'm traveling all the time, and find myself not only sitting on planes or trains, but standing in the NYC subway, so tried to anticipate all of these possible uses.

Of course, I'm not selling this or making them, but I will provide this advice to Jenni Bick as she develops a model to sell.

artsci
12-19-2007, 07:57 PM

(Please excuse the repetitive 2nd reply. I did not see the earlier post and created another along the same vein without realizing it, now I can't figure out a way to delete one or the other).

The "book" case I've created folds back completely on itself with no return or spring pressure, so it's very easy to hold in one hand while standing. It's much more flexible in that regard than the stock Kindle case, which has a cover that wants to spring back when it's folded back beyond about 180 degrees.

Before I began work my custom case I read all of the comments about the stock case and designed mine so it would address these concerns. Since I also travel frequently, and my visits to New York and other major cities often involve public transit, including subways, I wanted a case that would make possible very flexible use in a variety of situations. The only thing I overlooked was access to the controls/port on the bottom side (volume, power connection, headphone jack), but I'm addressing that in the new version I'm building now and will finish over the weekend.

When I give advice to Jenni Bick, it will include all of the considerations you have mentioned, since they have been very much on my mind as well.

giedre
12-20-2007, 07:35 AM
That cover is drop dead gorgeous! I'd buy one in a heartbeat. Please keep us updated on this {I'm salivating!}

artsci
12-21-2007, 03:28 PM
For the do-it-yourselfers, starting this weekend I'll be posting step-by-step instructions on how to make this case, including sources for materials and other relevant information. The instructions will be based on the new, improved version I'm working on now.

sammyl
12-22-2007, 01:30 PM
Stunning! Obviously a hit, please consider the other devices and protecting them all from damage when dropped.

Eirerogue
12-27-2007, 05:49 PM
ArtSci

Cover is beautiful and I too would be interested in a purchase. Please keep us informed of availability through Bick bookbinding. Thanks!

WilliamG
01-08-2008, 03:48 PM
While I admire the cover for its.... originality, if I wanted to hold a real book, I'd buy a real book? The whole point of the Kindle is its size and weight being less than a hardback book!

I fully await a cover that wouldn't embarrass me in public. But again, gorgeous-looking cover. Very creative! :)

(Apologies if I come across as a big, stinky jerk!)

Paul in Saudi
01-08-2008, 05:15 PM
I (have learned to) like the issue cover. That being said please set you price on your wonder piece of art and I will send you a check.

Sage
01-08-2008, 07:06 PM
That's is beautiful! I think I want to try and make one, but it may not be as classy as that. Great Job!

crusader666
01-09-2008, 10:34 PM
your case is creative and beautiful, but please consider having them made in mass without killing animals. that would truly make your creation beautiful!

cfw123
01-12-2008, 12:00 PM
I'm perfectly happy with the "issue" cover, except I had hack it a little. First I cut off the top and bottom inside things that were supposed to hold the Kindle, but doesn't. I left the middle thing that was also supposed to help hold it, but didn't have a chance of doing so.

What I did instead worked wonders. I got some Industrial strength velcro, and applied a narrow -- maybe half an inch -- strip from top to bottom just inside the left edge of my Kindle, so my Kindle can't possibly fall off. Also I positioned it so that the Kindle was as far inside the cover as possible, and thus left a little wider right edge open on the right to make it easier to pick it up without pressing the next page key by accident, which all owners know about and hate. It also makes it possible to pull up just enough on the right edge to get to the two power switches. That's why I didn't put a velcro strip on the right edge, which wasn't necessary anyway.

Now when I read, I fold the left side of the cover way around on the back, and hold it in place with the elastic strap designed for that purpose. It makes it really easy to pick up the Kindle without touching a key, and to also hold it by just one hand, which I like to do while reading in bed (never could read in bed with a conventional book, but I love to do it with my Kindle). When I'm not using my Kindle, I use the elastic strap to hold the cover in place across the front of the Kindle. Not really necessary -- the Kindle really can't fall out anymore, but it just seems neater somehow. Incidentally, I also press the bottom left and right key to put my Kindle to sleep once I shut it up for non-use, as this also seems kind of neat -- never could do that with a conventional book !!!!

Incidentally, Kindle says to charge your battery often, and never let it run completely out of charge. So since my Kindle is next to my bed on the night stand, I keep my charger plugged in there as well, and plug it into my Kindle just before sleeping. That way I can keep both power switches on all the time, which I much prefer to do so the wireless is always available when I want to use it. In fact, since I never turn off either switch anymore, I may put a narrow band of velcro along the back of the right edge as well even though it's not really necessary. But I would still have to lift the right edge to turn off the wireless were I to take a flight on an airplane, as it's illegal to do otherwise these days.

Charles Wilkes, San Jose, Calif.

sbissell3
03-22-2008, 03:32 PM
Artsci,
Are you planning on marketing this or the plans? You'd be rich and famous.
sbissell3

Ameryx
04-01-2008, 05:56 PM
Is there any news on whether Jenni Bick (sp?) will produce and market this cover?

Thanks!

artsci
04-07-2008, 01:33 PM
I've now made three of these Leonardo Kindle cases. Since I only need one, I've put the other two up for auction on Ebay. To check it out, go to Ebay and search Leonardo Kindle Case.

macgirl
04-07-2008, 02:16 PM
I've now made three of these Leonardo Kindle cases. Since I only need one, I've put the other two up for auction on Ebay. To check it out, go to Ebay and search Leonardo Kindle Case.

These are lovely cases, but I just have to know - did you price them at $300 because of the time required to make them and the materials costs? Or are you testing the market to see what it will bear? I'm never one to turn my nose up at cases based on price alone (I love Vaja products and have paid more than $100 for their phone and PDA cases before), but this is more than I was expecting for these... :eek:

carma54
04-07-2008, 04:47 PM
This cover is outstanding! Please post instructions. It's beautiful!

artsci
04-11-2008, 08:06 AM
These are lovely cases, but I just have to know - did you price them at $300 because of the time required to make them and the materials costs? Or are you testing the market to see what it will bear? I'm never one to turn my nose up at cases based on price alone (I love Vaja products and have paid more than $100 for their phone and PDA cases before), but this is more than I was expecting for these... :eek:

They're priced based on the time I put into making them -- the materials are probably less than half of the minimum bid. Actually, if I consider the opportunity costs of my time, I should have priced them much higher. I really don't need to sell them (no, I'm not testing the waters, and I won't be making any others), and if the bids are not forthcoming, I'll just hang onto them to use as gifts for family and friends when they buy Kindles.

artsci
04-11-2008, 08:09 AM
This cover is outstanding! Please post instructions. It's beautiful!

The instructions are posted here: http://imageevent.com/artsci/kindle

There are many photos as well as detailed step by step instructions.

sbissell3
04-11-2008, 08:57 AM
your case is creative and beautiful, but please consider having them made in mass without killing animals. that would truly make your creation beautiful!

1. The majority of leather comes from animals killed for other reasons than their skin.
2. Much leather is recycled.
3. Leather is biodegradable and not a disposal problem that synthetics (e.g. petroleum products) are.
3. Changing your name to 'Crusader' is weird, but adding 666 is just creepy.

sbissell3

KlondikeGeoff
04-11-2008, 09:38 PM
and if the bids are not forthcoming, I'll just hang onto them to use as gifts for family and friends when they buy Kindles.

Hey, can I be your friend?

trendfreaks
06-12-2008, 04:43 PM
Amazingly beautiful ! I must say that too for a reading device which has lost some of its charm to trendy iPhone.Some rants I read..
"ôKindle is a neat device. Everybody likes it but nobody needs it. And nobody buys it"
http://www.trendsspotting.com/blog/?p=367

Such a lovely cover for a not so useful device.

sbissell3
06-13-2008, 09:23 AM
Amazingly beautiful ! I must say that too for a reading device which has lost some of its charm to trendy iPhone.Some rants I read..
"ôKindle is a neat device. Everybody likes it but nobody needs it. And nobody buys it"
http://www.trendsspotting.com/blog/?p=367

Such a lovely cover for a not so useful device.

No one buys it? Not useful? I take it you, like many who bash the Kindle, have never seen one. Have you taken a look at the waiting list on Amazon or the resell market on eBay?

TrendLover
06-16-2008, 01:50 PM
loved it.
read my review here (http://www.trendoriginal.com/2008/06/16/don%e2%80%99t-judge-a-book-by-its-cover-the-kindle-book-case/)

artsci
06-20-2008, 03:56 AM
These criticisms from people who obviously have never used a Kindle are almost laughable.

I think the Kindle was the best technology purchase I have ever made. I use it all the time, and when friends recommend books to read, I just download them. For travelers, it's a joy. It's like carrying a suitcase full of books in a package the size of one rather small book.

NcBlueEyedBlonde
07-20-2008, 02:26 PM
would love to contract you to make a Kindle cover for me.. I saw the leather one on another site.. and tracked you here.. you can reach me at NcBlueEyedBlonde@gmail.com

I look forward to hearing from you! Thanks

ronsbicycleworks
08-10-2008, 02:38 PM
My solution to the Kindle holder problem was to paste velcro strips to the device and the holder. Keeps the device inside the holder just fine.

sbissell3
08-15-2008, 09:42 AM
I bought the M Edge Leather Holder and I love it. Looks good, works great.

sbissell3
08-15-2008, 09:44 AM
M Edge http://www.buymedge.com/p_KindleExL.html has their Kindle Leather Holder out. I have one and it's great. Looks good, works great.
Steven

kat288
09-10-2008, 01:52 PM

Most Customers probably know this (I did)! However, we are also looking for covers that look a little nicer (color, elegance, etc.). I really like the cover that looks like a book, but I do agree in way with you as well, that it does need to be able to hold with one hand & fold back so that you are not dealing with the top cover.

kat288
09-10-2008, 02:07 PM
The cover is gorgeous & now that I have read all of the posts, it is very nice that you did make it to where it can be folded all the way back!:2thumbsup

ChaseKR
03-08-2009, 06:32 PM
Is there anything similar to this that is for sale?

robb01
03-09-2009, 10:26 AM
that is awesome

DebraSeattleGrrl
03-09-2009, 01:49 PM
Stunning

artsci
03-13-2009, 08:11 AM
Please see top for link connecting my two threads on this cover for the original Kindle and Kindle 2. I'll be preparing and posting a tutorial soon on how to make this cover for Kindle 2. It's much easier than making the Kindle 1 version, so more people may be able to do it.

palex481
03-16-2009, 04:35 PM
Artsci doesn't have the time to do this for me unfortunately, which I totally understand, but if there is anyone handy out there who could make this for my Kindle 1, I would pay materials + labor. I'm not crafty enough myself to do it.

Any takers? PM me and we can discuss the details.

fugazied
03-20-2009, 12:18 AM
Just awesome!
I'm pretty sure we all want one ;)

artsci
03-26-2009, 09:06 PM
Please note the link here and top for the do-it-yourself instructions for making this case for a Kindle 2:

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43083

catsittingstill
03-26-2009, 09:13 PM
(boggle) Wow. This is beautiful.

pboss
04-05-2009, 08:52 AM
Now that's the style that I prefer.
Nicely done.
Don't know why I didn't notice this thread before.

jennigens
06-22-2010, 08:23 PM
I would like to purchase one of these for my Kindle 2. Can I commission you to make one for me? Let me know the price, and I will pay shipping as well. It is really magnificent and the only way I will really use the new Kindle I got for my birthday.

Thanks!

kindlekitten
06-23-2010, 08:39 PM
I would like to purchase one of these for my Kindle 2. Can I commission you to make one for me? Let me know the price, and I will pay shipping as well. It is really magnificent and the only way I will really use the new Kindle I got for my birthday.

Thanks!

have you checked out Oberon covers? (http://www.oberondesign.com/shop/cart.php?m=product_list&c=67) they truly are works of art!

neilmarr
06-24-2010, 05:30 AM
Gorgeous, Artsci -- and the design might easily be modified to take other devices. You should market these. I'm very happy with a very swish soft leather flip-top cover for my Sony 505 and I'm the first to admit that a good, comfortable cover enhances the e-reading experience no end. And it silences all those cliched complaints about the feel, look and smell of 'real' books. Cheers and good luck. Here's karma to ya. Neil