View Full Version : Create a space between some paragraphs

Elle518
04-02-2012, 05:27 AM
Hi everyone! I'm trying to figure it out how is the best/correct way to create spaces between some paragraphs.
I have different choices to make:

1st. Between .space { margin-top:2.5 em; }/.space { padding-top:2.5em; }

2nd. Between

<p>Text</p>
<p class="space">Text</p>

or

<p>Text</p>
<p class="space"></p>
<p>Text</p>

With this one I have the doubt if it's correct to leave code without any text between the tags.

or

<p>Text</p>
<p class="space">&nbsp;</p>
<p>Text</p>

Please, could you show me the best way to do it?
A lot of thanks!!!

Toxaris
04-02-2012, 09:13 AM
Depends. I use your first and you last solution. The middle one can be ignored by a reader. If it is a section break, I tend to use the last option. If it is for something else, I would probably use the first one.

Also, with your last option, you don't need the style 'space'. You just get an empty line.

Keroberos
04-02-2012, 11:58 AM
I always use something like this,.space{margin-top:2,5em;}

<p>Text</p>
<p class="space">More Text</p>

Unless it's a section break, then I use a small centered image with top and bottom margins because with reflowable text if the section break happens on a page break it is difficult to tell if it's a section break.

mmat1
04-02-2012, 12:57 PM
1st. Between .space { margin-top:2.5 em; }/.space { padding-top:2.5em; }

In a "common" paragraph, there isn't a visible difference between margin and padding. Both is valid.
If you use a border around the paragraph or some background-color, then there is a big difference.

uieluck
04-04-2012, 01:34 PM
If you're working in InDesign, you can make a style that has space below or above to provide white space between paragraphs.

Tennyoelf
04-06-2012, 09:12 PM
For some reason I use this -

p.breakinp
{
text-indent:20px;
margin-top:0;
margin-left: 0;
margin-right:0;
font-family:"Times New Roman", Times, serif;
font-size:12px;
margin-bottom: 2em;
}

- for my paragraphs that need space between them. However Kobo Vox (the native reader) does not read it. I have no idea why. I'm kind of lost because those spaces are really needed. None of my CSS margins are being read. Every other device reads it, just not the Kobo reader or the Kobo Vox or the other android reader. Is my CSS too primitive? Or is my code funky? I use both Sigil and Calibre.

pholy
04-06-2012, 11:22 PM
Slightly off-topic... Do you really want a font size of 12 PIXELS? That's pretty tiny on a 167 dpi screen like the Kobo. And I always do my text-indent in ems... I don't know if checking on an old Kobo would help you.

JSWolf
04-07-2012, 04:03 PM
For some reason I use this -

p.breakinp
{
text-indent:20px;
margin-top:0;
margin-right:0;
font-family:"Times New Roman", Times, serif;
font-size:12px;
margin-bottom: 2em;
}

- for my paragraphs that need space between them. However Kobo Vox (the native reader) does not read it. I have no idea why. I'm kind of lost because those spaces are really needed. None of my CSS margins are being read. Every other device reads it, just not the Kobo reader or the Kobo Vox or the other android reader. Is my CSS too primitive? Or is my code funky? I use both Sigil and Calibre.

Not very good code overall...

Here is the same code fixed up....

.breakinp {
text-indent: 0;
margin-top: 30px;
margin-right: 0;
margin-bottom: 0
}

That's all you need. It does work with ADE. The code to use it would be...

<p class="breakinp">Your paragraph here.</p>

yekim54
04-08-2012, 12:18 AM

.breakinp {
text-indent: 0
}

That's all you need. It does work with ADE.

Did you test it with ADE? It's missing a ";" after "text-indent: 0".

pholy
04-08-2012, 06:06 PM
I'm still not comfortable with using pixels for any measurement in an epub. The dpi for various screens goes from 100 (or less) for some lcd screens usp to 200 for a 5 inch E-Ink screen, and maybe more for a Retina display. The visual effect will be quite unpleasant.

And I would use margin: 0.5em, 0, 0; or margin 0.5em, 0, 0, 0; remembering that margins start aat the top and go around clockwise. A two valued margin doesn't do waht you want, and I always forget that it is the side margins that are duplicated with the three valued margin.

@yekim54 - You know he didn't try exactly what he typed with ADE :) ADE would have thrown out his whole style sheet for that missing semicolon :(

JSWolf
04-08-2012, 06:38 PM
Did you test it with ADE? It's missing a ";" after "text-indent: 0".

OOPPSS!

It was a typo. It's been fixed.

JSWolf
04-08-2012, 06:44 PM
For those that like ems instead of my 30px, here is the code....

.breakinp {
margin-top: 2em;
}

mmat1
04-09-2012, 04:18 AM
And I would use margin: 0.5em, 0, 0; or margin 0.5em, 0, 0, 0;

:blink: with kommas between the values ?

Tennyoelf
04-09-2012, 01:12 PM

.breakinp {
}

That's all you need. It does work with ADE. The code to use it would be...

<p class="breakinp">Your paragraph here.</p>

I'm just getting back into coding after years away, so I figured my code was messy. Thanks for the input. I do need indents for the paragraph though, would that be a class element for the body?

And I'm curious why you picked margins at the top instead of the bottom, is there a reason for that?

Thanks again! :)

theducks
04-09-2012, 08:53 PM
I'm just getting back into coding after years away, so I figured my code was messy. Thanks for the input. I do need indents for the paragraph though, would that be a class element for the body?

And I'm curious why you picked margins at the top instead of the bottom, is there a reason for that?

Thanks again! :)
:smack: I have been using balanced top/bottom margins for <P> tags

No bottom means that the last line ends at the Hard Bottom (without any bottom white space. That might just make a difference on some pages.

pholy
04-10-2012, 12:38 AM
And I would use margin: 0.5em, 0, 0; or margin 0.5em, 0, 0, 0;

:blink: with kommas between the values ?

Oops! You are right; no commas between the values. :o

I need to get back to my book formatting instead of reading other peoples stuff.

JSWolf
04-11-2012, 05:57 PM
In some versions of ADE if there is whitespace that extends beyond the bottom of the screen, you can get a blank looking page that all it has is the leftover whitespace. It's best to make sure (if at all possible) that after the last line of text or image, that you have nothing after it so when it ends, so does the page/chapter.

pholy
04-12-2012, 04:21 PM
Good point, JS.

So putting the margin space at the top of the new paragraph, as you did, should avoid that empty page.

Thanks for that, I'll try to remember.