Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-14-2007, 10:52 AM   #1
JohnsnowNW
JohnsnowNW began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader 505
Maybe this seems like a dumb question, but...

Are there any problems with loading the connect software on multiple computers? I assume they aren't as anal about this as Microsoft, but I'd rather not take any chances. I ask because of the whole registering thing.
JohnsnowNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 10:58 AM   #2
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsnowNW View Post
Are there any problems with loading the connect software on multiple computers? I assume they aren't as anal about this as Microsoft, but I'd rather not take any chances. I ask because of the whole registering thing.
No, there's no problem. I have it installed on two different machines and both are registered as devices on my ConnectStore account. You get to have six devices authorized on the same account. One of those is your Reader. One is whatever computer you're accessing it through. The other four can be Readers or computers.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2007, 11:02 AM   #3
JohnsnowNW
JohnsnowNW began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkchapman View Post
No, there's no problem. I have it installed on two different machines and both are registered as devices on my ConnectStore account. You get to have six devices authorized on the same account. One of those is your Reader. One is whatever computer you're accessing it through. The other four can be Readers or computers.
Ahh, good to hear. I'm having it delivered to my parents, as that's where I will be when the thing is scheduled to be delivered. I just wanted to make sure that I could load it up on their computer and still be able to do the same on mine when I got back. Thanks.
JohnsnowNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 04:10 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsnowNW View Post
Ahh, good to hear. I'm having it delivered to my parents, as that's where I will be when the thing is scheduled to be delivered. I just wanted to make sure that I could load it up on their computer and still be able to do the same on mine when I got back. Thanks.
If it's not a permanent installation I'm pretty sure you can de-authorize the computer also.
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 03:39 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You don't have to authorise it at all unless you plan to buy books from the Connect Store. I use the software purely for previewing the appearance of the Sony-format books that I create, for example.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2007, 08:42 AM   #6
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
But if you do authorize it on your parents' computer in order to either buy some books or to take advantage of your credit at Sony Connect store, remember that it is one of a limited number (I can't remember how many currently) authorized installations, so if you plan on using other computers also take PilotBob's advice on de-authorizing your parents' computer.

They do this because the connect software allows you to read the books right on the computer screen, so you can buy books without ever have a Sony Reader at all, if you enjoy reading books on your computer screen (notebook computers might not be so bad in a pinch). So don't install the connect software, authorize it and then forget about it.

Enjoy the reader and any books you buy! And remember all the fantastic free books you can download from this site, and you could use the unauthorized Connect software to load the free books to the reader.
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 11:10 AM   #7
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhbailey View Post
[...]remember that it is one of a limited number (I can't remember how many currently) authorized installations,[...]
Six total. Readers or computers in any combination.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote