Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-12-2007, 10:40 PM   #1
gordon
gordon began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Success with 505 and non-PC USB charging?

I've a fairly new 505 and had no trouble charging it through the USB port with my laptop.

However I just recently took a no-computer trip and failed to charge the 505 with the USB port using two different USB solutions that I use for other devices:

- a micro-USB power supply used for a Windows Mobile Smartphone that plugs straight into the wall

- a iPod power adaptor with a USB/USB connector (as opposed to the normal USB/iPod dock)

In general this solution has worked well for other USB devices, but the Sony did not seem to take a charge, and indeed seemed to run flat with the power-supply method.

Bringing the reader home and connecting to the computer quickly charged it again though...
gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 11:11 AM   #2
kezza
Lowlife of the Party
kezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook, iphone
Yeah, I've also tried it with a Motorola mini-usb charger (for my bluetooth headset) and an iPod usb charger, neither work. Looks like I'll need to give in and buy a PSP charger for it, instead.
As far as I can tell, this device won't charge from a USB port that's not attached to a computer. Others claim that it works, but maybe that's just the 500?
kezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2007, 11:15 AM   #3
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kezza View Post
Yeah, I've also tried it with a Motorola mini-usb charger (for my bluetooth headset) and an iPod usb charger, neither work. Looks like I'll need to give in and buy a PSP charger for it, instead.
As far as I can tell, this device won't charge from a USB port that's not attached to a computer. Others claim that it works, but maybe that's just the 500?
This is fairly normal. Just because a connector fits doesn't mean that it will work. In particular devices that use USB may have special logic in them to sense when they are hooked to a computer and when they are hooked to a charger. There are no standards for the logic hardware and thus these kinds of semi-smart chargers will not work on anybody else's unit and a unit that requires semi-smart chargers are likely only to accept their own.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 11:17 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The 500 definately needs a computer with the appropriate driver installed. That can be Connect, Ebook Library, or Libprs500's driver.

The 505 is supposed to be able to charge from USB using almost any USB. But I cannot test this as I do not have a USB plug not on a computer to test it.

If someone wants to get me an iGo mini USB plug, I'll test it with my 505.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 11:18 AM   #5
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The 500 definately needs a computer with the appropriate driver installed. That can be Connect, Ebook Library, or Libprs500's driver.

The 505 is supposed to be able to charge from USB using almost any USB. But I cannot test this as I do not have a USB plug not on a computer to test it.

If someone wants to get me an iGo mini USB plug, I'll test it with my 505.
Just send me your unit and I will test it for you.

Dale
Advert
Old 12-13-2007, 11:22 AM   #6
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
From the Sony KB:
Quote:
If the battery is fully discharged, charge the battery by connecting to the USB port on a computer and allow the battery to fully charge. If the battery is completely discharged, there may be no indication that the Reader is charging and will not turn on. Leave the Reader connected to the computer as it may take up to 40 minutes for the battery to be charged enough to indicate that it is charging.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 11:42 AM   #7
kezza
Lowlife of the Party
kezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook, iphone
Yeah, I've never tried to charge my device from "fully" discharged, except when I first got it and that time I followed the manual to the letter. Every time I've attempted to charge from a standalone USB charger (not attached to a computer) it's been at least half full, if not more.
No drivers are necessary for the 505 to charge from USB when attached to a computer. Both my Motorola and iPod charger bricks are standard USB charging devices, sending 5V and 500mA, just like the ports on a computer. Because the device assumes it will be mounted when it is plugged in via USB, I suspect it needs to get through that mounting phase before the charging phase begins.
However, if someone out there has successfully charged their 505 with a standalone USB charger I'd love to know what make and model the charger was.
kezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 11:58 AM   #8
gordon
gordon began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Thanks for the replies so far....

Thanks for the replies so far.

Just to confirm this is a 505, not a 500, and the understanding is that the 505 probably should work except when charging from fully discharged.

On my initial charge the device was not fully flat (but ended up that way ).

One of the reasons I want to know is to determine how feasible it is to take the 505 on extended trip without a laptop (e.g. using a Solio or other USB charger).

Thanks again...
gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 02:00 PM   #9
Astropin
Connoisseur
Astropin is on a distinguished road

Device: PRS-505, N800
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon View Post
Thanks for the replies so far.

Just to confirm this is a 505, not a 500, and the understanding is that the 505 probably should work except when charging from fully discharged.

On my initial charge the device was not fully flat (but ended up that way ).

One of the reasons I want to know is to determine how feasible it is to take the 505 on extended trip without a laptop (e.g. using a Solio or other USB charger).

Thanks again...
You can get a PSP charger cheap. Often you can get them for a couple bucks used at Game Stops
Astropin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 09:42 PM   #10
aru
Likes to read on e-ink
aru is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle DX
I have the same experience with a AA-battery charger that has a USB plug built-in. The PRS-505 went from one bar battery to totally flat. It charged fine on my computer afterwards. So being away from home withoutcomputer access does require a small power supply. The plugs are available at radio shack.
aru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 10:16 PM   #11
recycledelectron
Groupie
recycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-books

Device: Lifebook T5010
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
This is fairly normal. Just because a connector fits doesn't mean that it will work. In particular devices that use USB may have special logic in them to sense when they are hooked to a computer and when they are hooked to a charger. There are no standards for the logic hardware and thus these kinds of semi-smart chargers will not work on anybody else's unit and a unit that requires semi-smart chargers are likely only to accept their own.

Dale
With the PRS-505 that I own, it charges from some PC USB ports, but not others, even on the same PC.

When testing the PRS-505, plug it into a USB port, and wait. The screen will show the "Spinning Arrows" logo, then the "Connected to USB" logo. Within a second or two of the "Connected to USB Logo" the LED should do something. If it flashes yellow, the goes red, that's charging. If it stays out, that's not charging.

On my Authoring machine, some USB ports (on the front of the case) draw power from the motherboard. These work. I've never installed the Sony S/W on any of my PCs, but it does recognize 3 card readers when I plug in the PRS-505.

Also on my authoring machine, I have some ports that are on a 5.25" drive hub with a card reader built in. The power here comes directly from the 5.0V power rails in the machine's power supply, so they provide 5.0V DC. These ports sometimes show the USB power is exceeded, because that error message comes from the device, not the PC. Devices sometimes sense a voltage of 4.9V to 5.0V and freak out. USB is actually supposed to be 5.2V to 5.3V. These ports do not charge my PRS-505.

When the PRS-5050 refuses to charge, it will show the "Connected to USB" logo on-screen, but the red light never turns on.

I have a 12V cigarette lighter to USB power converter that I got off eBay. It charges my PRS-505 in my pickup. IT WORKS HERE, SO THERE'S NO INTELLIGENCE REQUIRED.

I've tried a cheap eBay 7-port blinky powered USB hub. It does not charge the PRS-505 on its own. Even when I plug the hub into a PC (Fujistu Stylistic 3400 Tablet,) and the PC recognizes it, it does not charge! Plugging the PRS-505 directly into the same PC causes it to charge. Plugging the PRS-505 into the Hub after pulling the external 5V power supply form the hub causes that darn red light to come on! (The problem is the voltage.) The connection from the PC to the hub is a A-MiniB USB cable (same as the PRS-505's cable.) That cable works to charge the PRS-505 when connected directly to the PC, so the problem is definitely the hub.

I've tried the $9.99 Wal-Mart x4 AA USB power supply, and it does not charge my PRS-505. With heavy duty batteries, the green status led on the power supply dims and goes out after a few seconds, then turns on again, and repeats. With alkaline batteries, it stays green, but the PRS-505s red LED never comes on.

Most PCs charge my PRS-505.

I have several different models of 120V AC to 5V DC USB power supplies. None of those work.

Even on the systems that do charge my PRS-505, not all cables work. The roll up cables do not work. (Even the one included with the Wal-Mart x4 AA charger does not work.) It seems that the good quality cables work. This is not unusual - I've got several 2.5" USB HDDs that only work with certain cables. I've got a nice USB cable tester, but it only does A-A and A-B cables. It does not do A-MiniB cables. I do have the connectors laying around - I could build an adapter if I were bored, and I have 5 hours of sitting in a computer lab before the university gets out for Christmas. Unfortunately soldering irons are frowned upon in that lab (due to my past activities.)

I also need to build a USB-Mini-B-Female to Volt-Meter adapter to find the magic voltage.

It's the voltage, not some logic in the PC. The coaxial power plug next to the USB is labeled 5.2V...maybe it needs about 5.2V?

Andy
recycledelectron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 10:19 PM   #12
recycledelectron
Groupie
recycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-books

One more thing...my PRS-505 will refuse to charge if it is at fill charge, or just down one bar. (I didn't design the @#$& thing, I'm just using it.)

Andy
Old 12-14-2007, 11:03 AM   #13
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycledelectron View Post
One more thing...my PRS-505 will refuse to charge if it is at fill charge, or just down one bar. (I didn't design the @#$& thing, I'm just using it.)

Andy
thanks for the testing. Nothing beats a real hands on test.

Dale
Old 05-25-2008, 08:07 PM   #14
recycledelectron
Groupie

Another 12V Charging Option for the Sony PRS-505

I picked up several 12V (cigarette lighter adapter) chargers for Magellan eXplorist 400, 500, 600, and XL GPSes, and they have the right adapter for a Sony PRS-505 or PSP, and they put out 5.17V DC. In short, they work for the Sony PRS-505.

The best part was that as of 5-25-2008, Academy (a sporting good store) was closing these out for $0.88 each.

Andy Out!

Last edited by recycledelectron; 05-25-2008 at 08:13 PM.