View Full Version : Hacks Kindle Screensaver

sfernald
12-12-2007, 01:09 PM
I haven't seen this mentioned too often, but I must admit one feature I like is the screensaver of the Kindle that loads a random picture when it goes into sleep mode.

I really like the pictures it has. Kinda reminds me of the artwork I see in Starbucks and Barnes and Noble.

It seems like there are quite a few pictures in the library. Does anyone know if the Kindle actually will go online and download new pictures for the screensaver.

You guys like the screensaver too?

tsgreer
12-12-2007, 01:57 PM
What I want to know is how to get pics onto the Kindle that keep the same quality as the screensaver artwork. The screensaver artwork really does use 4 grayscales and looks great. When I have tried to get pics to the Kindle, amazon converts them to .azW (un-DRM'd mobi format) and the pics look terrible. The one big flaw I see in mobi format is how it handles images...

igorsk
12-12-2007, 04:46 PM
The pictures are stored inside the firmware. There are 34 images, and they're raw 2-bit 600x800 bitmaps.

tsgreer
12-12-2007, 05:01 PM
Maybe someone will come up with a hack that allows us to change those pics out with our own. That would be cool, but probably low on the list of things to hack.

I can't because I'm not smart enough to hack. :(

Alexander Turcic
12-12-2007, 05:17 PM
I can't because I'm not smart enough to hack. :(

Something makes me think (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17239) that igorsk might be your man. :knuddel:

gadams999
12-17-2007, 09:16 PM
The pictures are stored inside the firmware. There are 34 images, and they're raw 2-bit 600x800 bitmaps.

Igor,

Is the firmware accessible in any way? As a USB Mass Storage device I don't see any sign of the kernel, so I'm guessing it's giving us a chroot'ed view of the documents folders, etc.

I'd love to change up the images too. Time to make a request to Amazon...

phuocle
02-07-2008, 03:46 AM
Here's how to do your own... I didn't discover this, just re-posting for your convenience:

1. Attach the Kindle to a computer using the USB cord.
2. Using Windows Explorer (or whatever you use to see individual files/folders) , you should see a new drive called Kindle under My Computer. Go to that drive. (Or if you have an SD card in your Kindle, you can go to the SD drive.)
3. Create a new folder called “pictures” and a subfolder called “screensavers” under it. Make sure both folder names are all lowercase.
4. Copy your image files into the screensavers folder. Your pictures should be 600×800 pixels and black & white. I’ve only used .jpg files. [[Note: I've used .png files as well]]
5. After copying is complete & it is safe, remove the Kindle from the USB connection.
6. Go to your Home menu and press alt-z. This will create a new book called “screensavers” . Open it. You’ll see each of your pictures. You can advance through them with the prev. page and next page buttons. [[Note: The new book will appear at the END of your book list]]
7. While viewing your pictures, look at the bottom of the Kindle screen. If you see your battery indicator & Menu prompt, press alt-F to go into Full Screen mode.
8. On each photo, press alt-shift-0 (i.e., alt-shift-zero) . After a brief delay, you’ll get a message that your picture has been exported as screensaver. Click Close on the message.
9. Navigate to each of the pictures you want to use and repeat the above step.
10. When you’ve got all your pictures loaded, test them by going into & out of sleep mode. Alt-aA (i.e., alt-font size button) puts it to sleep & wakes it up again. Each time it sleeps, it should use a different image. If you see the same image all the time, relook at Step 3.

If you want to get rid of your custom screen savers, follow these steps:

2. Using Windows Explorer (or whatever you use to see individual files/folders) , go to your Kindle drive under My Computer.
3. If you see a folder called system, skip this step. If you don’t see the system folder, click on the Tools menu & then Folder Options. Go to the View tab, and look at the Advanced Settings. Under Hidden Files and Folders, select Show Hidden Files and Folders. Click Apply, then OK. You should now see a system folder.
4. Under the system folder, you’ll see a screen_saver folder. Delete all the files that are in that folder.
5. After you disconnect from the USB, you may see your last custom screensaver one more time, but after that it will revert back to the pre-loaded Kindle screensaver images.

schulzmc
02-07-2008, 09:53 AM
This is so awesome! Thanks. I was getting tired of those default images, and now I have about ten family photos instead.

Hopefully I don't get tired of my family... (grin)

jrdew
02-12-2008, 11:20 AM
Is the Kindle screensaver supposed to rotate through those images, or just pick one and keep it displayed until you wake it up? Seems like mine is just holding on one image. But I've only had the thing for a day, so perhaps I haven't noticed.

tsgreer
02-12-2008, 02:10 PM
Mine only holds one image as well. I can't get it to rotate through custom pics.

badgoodDeb
02-12-2008, 03:10 PM
Even with the included screen savers, it doesn't change while it is in sleep mode. (That would take power) It does rotate through different images each *time* you sleep it, but not during the sleep period.

jrdew
02-12-2008, 03:35 PM
Sounds good to me. Just wanted to make sure my Kindle was acting correctly. I guess old fashioned screen "burn in" isn't an issue with e-ink?

phuocle
02-12-2008, 04:36 PM
That's supposed to be one of the advantages of E-ink... no burn in. :)

tsgreer
02-13-2008, 01:19 PM
Even with the included screen savers, it doesn't change while it is in sleep mode. (That would take power) It does rotate through different images each *time* you sleep it, but not during the sleep period.

This is true. Sorry I didn't make myself clear, but with my user images, it doesn't rotate throught the images each time I put it to sleep. It will just use the last image that I exported to screensaver.

But if I use the default screensaver, then it it rotates through the images fine each time I sleep it. :)

phuocle
02-15-2008, 06:33 PM
This is true. Sorry I didn't make myself clear, but with my user images, it doesn't rotate throught the images each time I put it to sleep. It will just use the last image that I exported to screensaver.

But if I use the default screensaver, then it it rotates through the images fine each time I sleep it. :)

Gotcha... it is random so you may get 2 of the same images in a row. I get that with the built in screen savers. Are you always getting the image with the custom screen saver? If that's the case, you may want to make sure that you're exporting your images properly to the screen saver. Do you get the message that it was successful after pressing Alt-Shift-0 on each picture?

If that's the case, I'm not sure what to tell you. Also, see step #10.

kevinpars
02-17-2008, 10:56 PM
I am still waiting to get my Kindle, but an idea that occurred to is that since it is possible to use your own screensaver pictures, perhaps the group could collect ones that look good and make them available - non copyrighted material of course.

jacksonunit
03-04-2008, 11:45 AM
I really like this feature. I was hoping it would add to the existing screen savers because I really like some of them but I have created a handfull and formatted/tested them on my kindle.

I have tested all of these (http://jacksonunit.googlepages.com/kindleunit)on my kindle. BadBarn is my favorite but I also really like the look of the John Calvin image too. The "Book of Kells" images took a lot of tweaking to get the contrast even this good. Wood engravings seem to translate better than woodcuts.

If anybody has a image they would like to get formatted (600X800 8bit greyscale) send it to me at jacksonunit#gmail.com (where #=@) and I will try to hammer it down for you and publish it on my new Kindleunit (http://jacksonunit.googlepages.com/kindleunit)page.

badgoodDeb
03-04-2008, 03:35 PM
Very nice collection!! Thanks!

jacksonunit
03-05-2008, 09:13 AM
More on the way...

jacksonunit
03-05-2008, 11:27 AM
Nine new Kindle Screens formatted for her pleasure at...

http://jacksonunit.googlepages.com/kindleunit

jacksonunit
03-06-2008, 09:08 AM
Several curious images formatten for der Kindie uft erten gasta mach...

CLICKIE (http://jacksonunit.googlepages.com/kindleunit)

http://jacksonunit.googlepages.com/KS_ernst5.JPG/KS_ernst5-full;init:.JPG

PLEASE HEAP PRAISE AND LAUD AND HONOR UPON MINE HEAD FOR THUS DOING LEAST I BECOME WONY AND STOPPIT.

TallMomof2
03-06-2008, 11:14 AM
How about a little karma? :-D

jacksonunit
03-06-2008, 01:45 PM
How about a little karma? :-D

I could never catch up to the point where that would pay off.:)

Actually, I just want to know if this is being enjoyed, tolerated, or frowned upon. It's not a LOT of work but I WOULD rather be tying flies.

Nate the great
03-06-2008, 02:19 PM
I don't know about anyone else, but I like them.

jacksonunit
03-06-2008, 02:45 PM
Ok then. I'll keep churning em out. I probably have enough flies to last me the rest of my life anyway.

badgoodDeb
03-06-2008, 03:23 PM
I haven't put any of them onto my Kindle yet (still enjoying the originals) but I AM downloading all that you put up here. Where *DO* you get such strange images???! Victorian garb plus wings?? Wow!

jacksonunit
03-06-2008, 04:45 PM
I haven't put any of them onto my Kindle yet (still enjoying the originals) but I AM downloading all that you put up here. Where *DO* you get such strange images???! Victorian garb plus wings?? Wow!

All of the weird winged people images are from Max Ernst's "Une Semaine de Bonté" which is a graphic novel he put together by chopping images out of a Victorian encyclopedia. I have always loved them and they just happen to fit my criteria for Kindleification.

1) Interesting images
2) Highly Tonal in nature
3) Composed in or readily adjusted to a 6nX8n frame
4) Public Domain

I have tested all of the images before putting them on the page and I have wound up ditching about half of my attempts. I am slowly developing an eye for what will translate well to eInk images.

jacksonunit
03-08-2008, 10:15 AM
The Beatles
I Want to Believe
Merman
Elements
Pale Rider
The Unanimous Declaration

enjoy

badgoodDeb
03-08-2008, 01:47 PM
Hey, that periodic table (the elements) is a cool idea! Thanks for all these!

TallMomof2
03-08-2008, 03:37 PM
Love the pictures!

jacksonunit
03-09-2008, 03:37 PM
6 MORE 8-Bit Grayscale 600x800 Kindle Formatted
Screensaver Images

In today's batch...
Irish Vampire
Indian Chiefs
Fluid Dynamics
Little Miss Somebody
Several Knots

badgoodDeb
03-10-2008, 08:53 PM
Wonder who Little Miss Somebody is. She's quite cute! Thanks for another batch!! :2thumbsup

jacksonunit
03-11-2008, 11:04 AM
She looks a lot like "Phia" (my youngest daughter) so the image caught my eye. It's a very haunting image.

Ervserver
03-11-2008, 01:06 PM
scary

phuocle
03-17-2008, 05:00 PM
Thanks man, I really appreciate these images!

badgoodDeb
04-01-2008, 02:20 PM
Big DUHHH moment. In the default Kindle screensavers, one of the images is a large letter "B" with embellishments, etc. I've been so pleased that it happens to be the first letter of my last name.

But I bet other people have the first initial of THEIR last name, and not necessarily a "B". Right? Duhhhh..... It took me two months for that to occur to me. :rolleyes:

schulzmc
04-02-2008, 10:02 PM
Big DUHHH moment. In the default Kindle screensavers, one of the images is a large letter "B" with embellishments, etc. I've been so pleased that it happens to be the first letter of my last name.

But I bet other people have the first initial of THEIR last name, and not necessarily a "B". Right? Duhhhh..... It took me two months for that to occur to me. :rolleyes:

Ummm - not me. I have a "B" too... (and my last name starts with an "S")

badgoodDeb
04-03-2008, 07:38 PM
Ummm - not me. I have a "B" too... (and my last name starts with an "S")

Huh! I just figured that would be such a cool gimmick for them to do. But I guess the name of the person who BOUGHT the Kindle isn't necessarily the one who will eventually own it .... so maybe they couldn't easily do something like that. I bet they could do it with a firmware update (or a software update). Maybe I should suggest it to them. :chinscratch:

jacksonunit
04-15-2008, 05:52 PM
My last name is Jackson but we SPELL it with a "B".

Ervserver
04-15-2008, 09:03 PM
I noticed the "B" on the better half's Kindle one day, even though her name doesn't start with "B" it still applies about once per month. :)

badgoodDeb
04-16-2008, 03:59 PM
Eh-HEM. Ignoring the previous comment, I'll stick with ROFLing to Jackson's reply. :p

mjburgos
05-16-2008, 08:23 PM
Regarding comments on the Kindle's graphics:

Like many of you, I too was wondering about the quality of graphics on a Kindle. I read many reviews and got mixed messages about the quality of images. Frustrated, I did some research and then took a trip in my way-back machine for the answer--I used to create 2 bit graphics for my PC and Commodore64 in the 1980s.

Keeping that in mind, I did some experimenting and was able to create very acceptable, even excellent, graphics for the Kindle using a variety of Photoshop techniques.

I was pretty excited about how they came out. So I wrote an ebook about it and included a lot of samples using the techniques. Look for it on Amazon. Name of the book is GRAPHICS ON THE KINDLE, and the ASIN is B0018LILMO.

Hope this helps some of you! :)

honeybunny
05-17-2008, 11:59 AM
I read this thread but I'm confused about one thing. I really really like the default screensavers in the Kindle, but I would love to ADD TO THEM. Does this technique add to them, or replace them? If it replaces them, has anyone pulled the original images off the Kindle so that you can add them back in? I especially love the printing-press ones.

jacksonunit
06-02-2008, 11:00 AM
http://jacksonunit.googlepages.com/KS_Reward.JPG/KS_Reward-full.JPG

I've decided to do something useful.

If you send me your Name, Phone Number and email address, I will put it in this screensaver image and send it back to you for use on your very own kindle.

So, how cool is that?

jacksonunit@gmail.com

Ervserver
06-02-2008, 12:02 PM
hey that is awesome! :thumbsup:

pilotbob
06-02-2008, 02:10 PM
So, how cool is that?

jacksonunit@gmail.com

Cool... except... why would I pay $400 reward when I could get a new one for $359?

BOb

Ervserver
06-02-2008, 06:24 PM
in very small print mention $400 in Monopoly money

Cool... except... why would I pay $400 reward when I could get a new one for $359?

BOb

jacksonunit
06-02-2008, 08:43 PM

BOb

Because you want YOUR Kindle back and it is worth 400 dollars to you not to have to reload your reading material.

Or maybe not.

Hey, if you're real tough you could just arrange to meet them and beat them for stealing your kindle in the first place and then take your kinldle and ROB THEM because you are a tough guy who is freaking out over fourty one bucks so you could use the money, but then I'm gusssing you're not that tough if somebody stole your KINDLE. Maybe if they stole your motorcycle or your pet cobra but face it man, they stole your frigging KINDLE.

Also, and this is another stretch, If you have a KINDLE you are probably not too worried about fourty bucks.

I'm just sayin'

:xmas:

pilotbob
06-04-2008, 03:20 PM
Hey, if you're real tough you could just arrange to meet them and beat them for stealing your kindle in the first place and then take your kinldle and ROB THEM because you are a tough guy who is freaking out over fourty one bucks so you could use the money, but then I'm gusssing you're not that tough if somebody stole your KINDLE. Maybe if they stole your motorcycle or your pet cobra but face it man, they stole your frigging KINDLE.

I never leave my Kindle on my unattended Vespa. I always carry it with me in my fanny pack. But, if someone does steal it, I will [hire someone to] kick their ass.

BOb

zelda_pinwheel
06-04-2008, 03:25 PM
I never leave my Kindle on my unattended Vespa. I always carry it with me in my fanny pack. But, if someone does steal it, I will [hire someone to] kick their ass.

BOb

see, he really *is* tough. :rolleyes:

JSWolf
06-04-2008, 05:11 PM
That is very nice.

kudzu
06-04-2008, 09:39 PM
Thank you so much! I've downloaded the Declaration of Independence and BadBarn from your group. Just great. Here's some encouragement to create some more!

RickyMaveety
06-09-2008, 09:11 PM
Small problem. I would like to delete the Kindle default screensavers and just use the bookplate one I created.

However, the system folder is simply not showing up. This is true even though I have "show hidden files and folders" selected (that's by default for all of my files and folders on my entire computer).

I've tried turning that option off and on ... doesn't seem to make any difference. I'm starting to think that I might need to access it some other way ....

Help??? :help:

daffy4u
06-09-2008, 09:35 PM
You can't really delete them but you override them with your own screensaver pics. You'll always be able to go back to the default images if you need/want to.

Go back to post #7 for instructions on how to add your own images.

RickyMaveety
06-09-2008, 10:46 PM
Here's how to do your own... I didn't discover this, just re-posting for your convenience:

2. Using Windows Explorer (or whatever you use to see individual files/folders) , you should see a new drive called Kindle under My Computer. Go to that drive. (Or if you have an SD card in your Kindle, you can go to the SD drive.)
3. Create a new folder called “pictures” and a subfolder called “screensavers” under it. Make sure both folder names are all lowercase.
4. Copy your image files into the screensavers folder. Your pictures should be 600×800 pixels and black & white. I’ve only used .jpg files. [[Note: I've used .png files as well]]
5. After copying is complete & it is safe, remove the Kindle from the USB connection.
6. Go to your Home menu and press alt-z. This will create a new book called “screensavers” . Open it. You’ll see each of your pictures. You can advance through them with the prev. page and next page buttons. [[Note: The new book will appear at the END of your book list]]
7. While viewing your pictures, look at the bottom of the Kindle screen. If you see your battery indicator & Menu prompt, press alt-F to go into Full Screen mode.
8. On each photo, press alt-shift-0 (i.e., alt-shift-zero) . After a brief delay, you’ll get a message that your picture has been exported as screensaver. Click Close on the message.
10. When you’ve got all your pictures loaded, test them by going into & out of sleep mode. Alt-aA (i.e., alt-font size button) puts it to sleep & wakes it up again. Each time it sleeps, it should use a different image. If you see the same image all the time, relook at Step 3.

2. Using Windows Explorer (or whatever you use to see individual files/folders) , go to your Kindle drive under My Computer.
3. If you see a folder called system, skip this step. If you don’t see the system folder, click on the Tools menu & then Folder Options. Go to the View tab, and look at the Advanced Settings. Under Hidden Files and Folders, select Show Hidden Files and Folders. Click Apply, then OK. You should now see a system folder. 4. Under the system folder, you’ll see a screen_saver folder. Delete all the files that are in that folder.
5. After you disconnect from the USB, you may see your last custom screensaver one more time, but after that it will revert back to the pre-loaded Kindle screensaver images.

Ummm ... I've gotten my own screensavers in there just fine. However, it sounds like I should be able to get into the system folder and delete the ones I don't want.

Also ... I added one screensaver by accident (it was my bookplate graphic, but I didn't notice that the full screen view was not on ... so it's got the battery image and such on it ... which I don't want) and I can't seem to get rid of that one. No matter what I do.

Argh. :smack:

daffy4u
06-09-2008, 11:19 PM
Okay, I just did a little experiment because I had some of my personal screensaver images with the little on battery on them as well. I do not have any of my folders hidden and I don't see one called "system".

I opened the folder that contained the original images I used for my screensavers and deleted both of the screensaver.manga files. Then I re-saved everything from scratch (17 images). If there is a way to remove just one or two, I haven't been able to figure out how to do it.

Sorry.

RickyMaveety
06-09-2008, 11:23 PM
Well ... for me that did not work so well. Although I deleted the manga, and resaved the picture properly as a screensaver ... the dreaded rouge screensaver with stupid battery image still kept popping up.

So, I figued it must have been saved to the system ... but I can't get in the system to see.

I wonder if they plugged that hole recently?? Don't they realize I'll just find another way to hack into it??

daffy4u
06-09-2008, 11:30 PM
Did you delete both the screensaver.manga and screensaver.manga_save files then do the Alt + Z thing (step 6) to start from scratch?

honeybunny
06-10-2008, 04:21 PM
I just wanted to pipe in and say that I realized how the Kindle 'screensaver' is superior to a blank screen. It makes it still look like a book! Even when you are not reading a book, something is still on the page. I think it's Amazon's way of making it look more aesthetically pleasing than a blank page.

daffy4u
06-10-2008, 11:27 PM
I finally found the hidden system file for my Kindle. Even though I always have "show hidden files and folders" checked, I had neglected to remove the check box from "hide protected system operating files". Once I unchecked that, the folder was visible.

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n301/DebInVenice/kindlesystem.jpg

Here's what's inside.

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n301/DebInVenice/kindlesystem2.jpg

RickyMaveety
06-11-2008, 12:15 AM
I finally found the hidden system file for my Kindle. Even though I always have "show hidden files and folders" checked, I had neglected to remove the check box from "hide protected system operating files". Once I unchecked that, the folder was visible.

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n301/DebInVenice/kindlesystem.jpg

Here's what's inside.

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n301/DebInVenice/kindlesystem2.jpg

Great .... thanks. When I hook my Kindle up tomorrow, I'll check to see if mine was set that way. I'll bet it was.

Not going to do it tonight ... my bestest friends just got back from their trip and I've been having a grand ol' time tonight. Going to bed now. :sleeping:

igorsk
06-11-2008, 08:15 AM
BTW, you don't have to see the folder name to get inside it. If you just enter G:\system in Explorer's address bar, you'll get in.

RickyMaveety
06-11-2008, 11:37 AM
BTW, you don't have to see the folder name to get inside it. If you just enter G:\system in Explorer's address bar, you'll get in.

I was going to do that next ... and if that didn't work, I was going in sideways through DOS.

However, now I don't need to.

(Happy little dance of joy) :knuddel:

RickyMaveety
06-11-2008, 12:19 PM
Did you delete both the screensaver.manga and screensaver.manga_save files then do the Alt + Z thing (step 6) to start from scratch?

I deleted the manga file ... I never saw a manga_save file ... and that's even with the system folder and files showing fine.

daffy4u
06-11-2008, 12:24 PM
No need to worry about the Manga files. It turns out that when I deleted those files and re-saved my images, I just made a double sized set of images... the old ones with the battery image and the new ones without it. It took a while to cycle through the images to realize that the manga files had no effect.

Once I got in to the screen_saver folder, I deleted everything (I was unable to figure out individual images) and started from scratch. Now I only have the images without the battery picture on them.

myridom
07-10-2008, 08:29 PM
Thanks for the how-to.. Here's mine:
http://haunterofthenight.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/myridom.jpg

MyridoM

RickyMaveety
07-11-2008, 12:13 PM
Thanks for the how-to.. Here's mine:
http://haunterofthenight.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/myridom.jpg

MyridoM

That is gorgeous! Did you draw it yourself??

myridom
07-11-2008, 03:30 PM
LOL.. I wish.. I used a wonderful dragon created by Emberiza at Deviant art as the background. http://emberiza.deviantart.com/gallery/#_featured–4
He/She is a wonderful artist from Poland.

Myridom

pugaholic
07-12-2008, 10:09 PM
I absolutely love "I Want To Believe". Thanks!

genericusername
07-27-2008, 05:17 PM
http://xs129.xs.to/xs129/08300/hitchhikerskindle743.jpg

EAC050766
07-28-2008, 08:25 PM
I really like this feature. I was hoping it would add to the existing screen savers because I really like some of them but I have created a handfull and formatted/tested them on my kindle.

I have tested all of these (http://jacksonunit.googlepages.com/kindleunit)on my kindle. BadBarn is my favorite but I also really like the look of the John Calvin image too. The "Book of Kells" images took a lot of tweaking to get the contrast even this good. Wood engravings seem to translate better than woodcuts.

If anybody has a image they would like to get formatted (600X800 8bit greyscale) send it to me at jacksonunit#gmail.com (where #=@) and I will try to hammer it down for you and publish it on my new Kindleunit (http://jacksonunit.googlepages.com/kindleunit)page.

Thanks for the great pictures. I've download a few of them. But, I would really like to put my own pictures on my Kindle. I'm searching around to see who could help. :mrrox:

zelda_pinwheel
07-28-2008, 08:35 PM

nice !!!

daffy4u
07-29-2008, 12:46 PM

http://education.zdnet.com/?p=1782

Now if we can just put Wikipedia in an offline format on a Kindle, expand the entry on the Pan-Galactic Gargle Blaster (which is actually fairly complete and, notably, not covered by Google Knol), and stamp the words “Don’t Panic” on the Kindle, we’d almost be there!

gutenberger
09-01-2008, 04:11 PM
Hi everyone, post=1 newbie here. Just received my Amazon Kindle as a gift. I've been looking forward to an eInk device for a while now, and am happy to take the plunge with this.

The readability of the eInk text has been great, but it's these built-in screensavers that have really caught my eye. How striking. I read that there are 34 built-in images, but I've only seen the same 2 in (random?) rotation. Have these built-in images been extracted/exported by someone for our viewing pleasure? Not that I haven't thoroughly enjoyed the custom ones here (they're terrific!), but I would love to see the the built-in ones just to get a sense of what I'm missing out on, at least for now.

Thanks for this forum, I look forward to being a part of the Kindling :)

wallcraft
09-01-2008, 04:19 PM
Have these built-in images been extracted/exported by someone for our viewing pleasure? See Default Kindle Screensavers? (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showpost.php?p=238950&postcount=4). This is the original set, a few have apparently been changed since then.

gutenberger
09-01-2008, 04:26 PM
Thanks wallcraft, much appreciated! I'll keep a lookout and see if the one I just got has any updated images, etc. Thanks again!

prism5225
11-01-2008, 10:44 PM
6. Go to your Home menu and press alt-z... this part is not working for me... what can i do???:(. This will create a new book called “screensavers” . Open it. You’ll see each of your pictures. You can advance through them with the prev. page and next page buttons. [[Note: The new book will appear at the END of your book list]]

3. If you see a folder called system, skip this step. If you don’t see the system folder, click on the Tools menu & then Folder Options. Go to the View tab, and look at the Advanced Settings. Under Hidden Files and Folders, select Show Hidden Files and Folders. Click Apply, then OK. You should now see a system folder.
4. Under the system folder, you’ll see a screen_saver folder. Delete all the files that are in that folder.
5. After you disconnect from the USB, you may see your last custom screensaver one more time, but after that it will revert back to the pre-loaded Kindle screensaver images.[/QUOTE]

schulzmc
02-24-2009, 06:32 PM
Looks like we need some new instructions - this won't work on my new Kindle 2!

Shyriath
02-26-2009, 10:37 PM
It's a pity... I'd been looking forward to trying do my own bookplate sort of thing as a screensaver.

Sue Z Q
03-03-2009, 07:27 PM
Everything worked for my kindle 2 except where we had to press Alt shift and Zero, once i had the pics loaded under screensaver. That is where it froze and now i can't enter the screensaver file. Help

stevenmoy
03-03-2009, 07:36 PM
Everything worked for my kindle 2 except where we had to press Alt shift and Zero, once i had the pics loaded under screensaver. That is where it froze and now i can't enter the screensaver file. Help

There is currently way to have your own screensaver for Kindle 2. If your device gets stuck, slide the power slider to the other hand for 14 sec. then slide it once more quickly to power it back on. Until further update from users, probably want to stay away from this undocumented/hidden/trick for K2.

KCB
03-03-2009, 09:05 PM
I cannot even get my pictures to make a book.. any idea what I am doing wrong? I did it on my K1, so I know "how" to do it, followed directions above, still not showing a book of my images. Help.. not sure why some people's Alt-Z works , some don't.

sirbruce
03-04-2009, 03:19 AM
KCB:

1. Create a pictures folder in the root of the Kindle 2 USB.
2. Create a folder under that called whatever you want; i.e. My Pictures.
3. Copy the images into My Pictures.
4. Disconnect your Kindle 2.
5. Press Alt-Z on your Kindle 2.
6. If you still don't see My Pictures listed as a book under Books, try rebooting your Kindle 2.

KCB
03-04-2009, 06:33 PM
KCB:

1. Create a pictures folder in the root of the Kindle 2 USB.
2. Create a folder under that called whatever you want; i.e. My Pictures.
3. Copy the images into My Pictures.
4. Disconnect your Kindle 2.
5. Press Alt-Z on your Kindle 2.
6. If you still don't see My Pictures listed as a book under Books, try rebooting your Kindle 2.

ok so maybe I am not putting it in the root.. can you explain exactly where that would be? I have some computer knowledge, so can you point me in the right direction.. please!

stevenmoy
03-04-2009, 06:42 PM
<USB Volume that is Kindle, maybe your D: or F:>
|---> documents
|---> music
|---> pictures
|------> SAMPLE_PICTURES
|---> a.jpg
|---> b.jpg

KCB
03-04-2009, 06:56 PM
<USB Volume that is Kindle, maybe your D: or F:>
|---> documents
|---> music
|---> pictures
|------> SAMPLE_PICTURES
|---> a.jpg
|---> b.jpg

well then I do have it in the right spot.. it still won't do anything after alt-z.. I even did a restart, etc. sigh. something's gotta give :P

stevenmoy
03-04-2009, 06:59 PM
my ascii art didn't quite turn out the way i want,

a.jpg and b.jpg should be inside sample_pictures directory and the sample_pictures directory should be inside the picture directory.

KCB
03-04-2009, 07:03 PM
my ascii art didn't quite turn out the way i want,

a.jpg and b.jpg should be inside sample_pictures directory and the sample_pictures directory should be inside the picture directory.

geeze o lou! I finally got it to work.. I have no idea what I did differently but its there now.. thanks for the patience

sirbruce
03-05-2009, 03:33 AM
well then I do have it in the right spot.. it still won't do anything after alt-z.. I even did a restart, etc. sigh. something's gotta give :P

Try changing the name of your pictures "book" to something plain and simple.

chilady1
03-12-2009, 08:59 PM
Please keep the great screen saver shots coming

Sporadic
04-26-2009, 08:28 PM
This is an amazing thread.

Here's two I've been using (besides my family photos)

Team Fortress 2

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/9083/tfbwkindle.jpg

The Shining

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/1470/shiningkindle.jpg

I had to brighten up the Shining picture since it was much too dark but it still looks good on the Kindle.

Sporadic
05-01-2009, 09:11 PM
Is there anyway to delete individual photos without clearing everything? I added one that look not that hot on the Kindle.

Here's three more pictures that look great of the Kindle.

Trent Reznor

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/4991/trkindle.th.jpg (http://img13.imageshack.us/my.php?image=trkindle.jpg)

Saul Williams

http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/3357/saulkindle.th.jpg (http://img16.imageshack.us/my.php?image=saulkindle.jpg)

Year Zero
http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/1496/kindleyz.th.jpg (http://img13.imageshack.us/my.php?image=kindleyz.jpg)

sl33py
06-29-2009, 03:58 PM
very cool thread! i've been searching for good screensavers and downloaded several from here - thx for sharing!

I started out with the table of elements and a couple others from jacksonunit, and went from there.

The "pictures of my family" thread got me started, with the 2 .bin files to use custom and revert if needed for update.

thx again!

sl33py
06-29-2009, 04:02 PM
was a bit vague before on the screesaver "hack" - sorry had to find it.

here's a link to it:
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=150

for anyone finding this trying to use their own screensavers on a K2.

GL!

LilCube
06-29-2009, 05:23 PM
Thanks for this great hack. I made quite a few and posted them on my blog. There's 26 of them on there. Please excuse the colorful language. I usually only blog when I'm upset, and when I'm upset the cursing flows.

The post with the "screensavers" is: http://lilcube.com/blog/2009/06/28/reading-is-fun-damental/

MrDetermination
06-30-2009, 08:34 PM
I feel like a dolt. I started a whole other thread :smack: I requested that be deleted. Anyway... here is what was there:

I think Amazon dropped the ball with the image screensavers here. I'd much rather graze on some knowledge when I glance at my sleeping beauty. :)

This is stuff I'm interested in or trying to learn. Its nice to review these before I power up or if I only have a minute to kill. Makes the kindle useful without even browsing the menu. The file names should be self explanatory.

Useful bits for DIY:
Resolution 824x1200
Photoshop crop tool ratio: 41.2 by 60
To match my border in photoshop select all -> Modify -> Border -> 20 -> OK and then paint bucket the outer selection black

Screensaver Hack Link (http://www.blogkindle.com/2009/06/kindle-dx-screensaver-hack/)

Everything I built these with was freely available and/or okay to be redistributed.

sl33py
07-04-2009, 05:34 PM
LilCube's screensavers are awesome - go check them out.

MrD - great idea. I especially like the ports and subnets - handy to have around.

both +Karma. great additions!

kevindorsey
07-04-2009, 08:52 PM
The 2nd one at the top of the page is LOL.

willdjx
12-26-2009, 03:19 AM
I'm trying to load my images to my brand new kindle and followed all the steps. I got the images on the kindle just fine, but there is no shift key, so i cannot export them to screensavers. does anyone know how to do this on the new kindle? thanks.

whackedspinach
12-26-2009, 04:00 AM
I just got a Kindle 2 and hacked it to use custom screen savers. I made a set of Firefly/Serenity screensavers and thought someone else might appreciate them. They aren't perfect, please improve if you want. I attached the 10 images below in a .zip archive.

daffy4u
12-26-2009, 11:32 AM
I'm trying to load my images to my brand new kindle and followed all the steps. I got the images on the kindle just fine, but there is no shift key, so i cannot export them to screensavers. does anyone know how to do this on the new kindle? thanks.

Please click the link in my sig for step-by-step instructions. :)

gigilaprof
01-17-2010, 04:05 AM
I see this post is a few years old. Does anyone know if this method of changing the screensaver still works on a new Kindle 2?

daffy4u
01-17-2010, 10:01 AM
I see this post is a few years old. Does anyone know if this method of changing the screensaver still works on a new Kindle 2?

The links in my sig are still current. :)

sebastianoG
07-26-2010, 03:43 PM
hello,
I'm new in this forum. I'm italian and so I don't speak english very well:(
I have a problem: I have a Kindle 2 and I have tryed to set my own screensavers, but wen I press alt-shift-0 nothing happen. Why?
thanks for answers and exuse me for bad english:rolleyes:
:help:

NiLuJe
07-26-2010, 03:53 PM
Because that was a Kindle 1 only feature ;).

If you want custom screensavers on a K2/DX, use a screensavers hack. (Cf. kindle dev subforum).

sebastianoG
07-26-2010, 04:00 PM
:eek:
:smack:
:thanks:

meem
07-30-2010, 09:50 AM

Is this official way ?

I tried it, it's good, but I used this method:
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showpost.php?p=400528&postcount=150

with kindle-2.5-screensaver-hack-0.4 (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=55920&stc=1&d=1280494082)

It's more better, and you can delete the original screensaver photos provided with Kindle OS when you use it.

anmend43
09-22-2010, 06:52 PM
Hack and works
http://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Screen_Saver_Hack_for_all_2.x_and_3.x_Kindl es

a042349
09-24-2010, 10:50 PM
OK, new K3 user here. I can't seem to enter "Alt-Shift-0" on my keyboard. I'm viewing the pictures full screen, but there's no "0" (zero) key on the K3. I've tried the "p" key which is the zero when (with alt) when entering text, but doesn't seem to be working here.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

daffy4u
09-25-2010, 01:46 AM
OK, new K3 user here. I can't seem to enter "Alt-Shift-0" on my keyboard. I'm viewing the pictures full screen, but there's no "0" (zero) key on the K3. I've tried the "p" key which is the zero when (with alt) when entering text, but doesn't seem to be working here.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

It seems you're trying to follow directions for the Kindle 1 Screen Saver Hack instead of the hack for Kindle 3 (http://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Screen_Saver_Hack_for_all_2.x_and_3.x_Kindl es). :)

a042349
09-25-2010, 01:02 PM
It seems you're trying to follow directions for the Kindle 1 Screen Saver Hack instead of the hack for Kindle 3 (http://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Screen_Saver_Hack_for_all_2.x_and_3.x_Kindl es). :)

Thanks, I figured that out after reading a few more posts. Appreciate the response though...

kain9662002
11-25-2011, 07:57 PM
ok i have a kindle 1 and I did everything up to where you press alt shift 0, my kindle doesnt have a 0 button?

hurleydoo94
01-02-2012, 01:49 PM
okay, so i followed all ur directions up to number 8, but on my kindle there is no 0 (zero) key, am i still able to do this or am i just being dumb and missing something obvious?

Kubizo
01-03-2012, 11:45 AM
Hi Hurley,

what version of Kindle do you have? That list only works for 1. For 2 and 3, please check out this link (http://www.kubizo.com/changing-kindle-screensaver/kindle-2-3.php), for Kindle Touch please check out this thread (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=163753), for the Kindle 4 no touch, please be patient! The geniuses on this forum (Yifanlu, Geekmaster, etc...) are working on it :-)

Kubizo

stephenwilks
02-02-2012, 04:28 AM
Really appreciate your screensaver changer Kubizo!!! I sort of understand that it is some sort of jailbreak, but I suppose that it doesn't actually act as a jailbreak for any other purposes, does it?

Kubizo
03-09-2012, 06:00 PM
Hi Stephen, my apologies for the very delayed reply!

Yes, it does jailbreak the Kindle. After you used the Kubizo Screensaver Changer, you can install the font hack, all the hacks you want, without jailbreaking it again.

Bye!

suzidownunder
01-12-2013, 10:30 PM
No matter what I do - I can't see the 'system' folder and so can't make any changes :o(