Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-15-2012, 08:33 AM   #1
Rob Lister
Fanatic
Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Encyclopedia Britannica: out of print

A watershed moment?

Quote:
(Reuters) - In yet another sign of the growing dominance of the digital publishing market, the oldest English-language encyclopedia still in print is moving solely into the digital age.

The Encyclopedia Britannica, which has been in continuous print since it was first published in Edinburgh, Scotland in 1768, said Tuesday it will end publication of its printed editions and continue with digital versions available online.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...82C1FS20120314

They hung on a lot longer than I thought possible.

Quote:
The company said it will keep selling print editions until the current stock of around 4000 sets ran out.
So...10 years or so. :|

But here's the crux, bolded by me, buried in an unrelated blurb.

Quote:
"The print edition became more difficult to maintain and wasn't the best physical element to deliver the quality of our database and the quality of our editorial," Jorge Cauz, president of Encyclopedia Britannica, Inc., told Reuters.
It's what distinguishes them from sources such as ... Wikipedia.

Quote:
With its scholarly, reliable reputation, Encyclopedia Britannica had not been affected by the popularity of free website Wikipedia, he said.
I'm sure he believes that but I'm not at all sure he is being honest with himself.

From another website:
Quote:
Wikipedia kills off Encyclopaedia Britannica, at least in print
http://www.extremetech.com/internet/...le+Feedfetcher

With the content within Encyclopaedia Britannica coming from reputable and knowledgeable sources, it still is a top-tier source for students — and respected by educators — even though a 2005 study by Nature showed Britannica had nearly the same amount of errors in its articles, on average, as Wikipedia. I guess image is everything.
That sums up my view, too. I still wouldn't use Wiki as a reference source for anything more important than an internet discussion forum. Wiki is however a great jumping off point for finding out anything ... particularly things with few political ties. OTOH, Not even EB would be a very good reference source, since, unlike Wiki, their articles generally do not include footnotes. So, Wiki would actually be a better starting point; neither is a good ending point.

Let's take a look. Below are two articles on Slovakia. I picked Slovakia because it is one of the freely available EB articles. The first link is from EB and the second from Wiki.

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/...49008/Slovakia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slovakia

Both articles are comprehensive. I'm not going to do a item-item comparison. The EB articles is better presented, style-wise, but the Wiki article is better organized (the Wiki style seems to assume a certain level of ADD in its audience and provides a TOC). Also note that most every fact in Wiki is footnoted. There are no footnotes in the EB article. Wiki has a 'discussion' page you can review for points of contention. With EB, all discussion is outside the public domain. All-in-all -- Scholastic Point: Wiki.

Quote:
This all noted, there is a future for reference materials in book form. While the usefulness and speed of the Internet is nice, for some nothing beats the printed word. Yes the market has shrunk dramatically, but I strongly believe there’s too many of us old fashioned folks out there to let it completely die. Would you?
Yep. I would. Or at least I wouldn't spend my dollars to keep it breathing. Others are welcome to spend theirs.

Last edited by Rob Lister; 03-15-2012 at 08:45 AM. Reason: Correction of intent!
Rob Lister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:40 AM   #2
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Lister View Post
Yep. I would. Or at least I would spend my dollars to keep it breathing. Others are welcome to spend theirs.
I wouldn't. To me, print is a dinosaur and I celebrate whenever print bites the dust.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2012, 08:54 AM   #3
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Yes, well ........

Well, no, I wouldn't - and while I admit to probably being classified old fashioned, I am here, tapping away .
I just find it so much simpler, and pleasanter, when doing any research that requires more than a few (in my case, 2 actually!) sources to refer from, to have the things open and ready at a movement of the eyes.
But then I also enjoy the act of writing with a pen - even pencil, sharpened ! - so I suppose I have it all wrong....

But it is quite interesting that my son - Mr. Uber Tech, with gadgets 'amany - prefers to study in the same way. And also write things down.
( All with no "pressure" or suggestion from me, as I assumed for a long time he was doing it "a la mode". )

So I'll be sorry to see it go in one, kind of nostalgic, way.
But, on the other hand, I know it was often a huge imposition for some families of very limited means, who were convinced - usually by the publicity and salesmen - that their child had to have it to progress.
Like, in fact, my own,when was but a tacker, realising later my parents were almost blackmailed into buying one - on credit terms of course......

Also - the wall space it took up !
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote