View Full Version : Rooting the Kobo after March 2 2012 Update

danifunker
03-11-2012, 01:21 PM
Hi Everyone,

I know there have been a number of users who haven't been able to get root again after the March 2, 2012 update.

Here are the instructions:
1) Download the package ZergRush-forKobo.zip
2) Extract the files from the package
3) Make a new folder in your user profile ( %USERPROFILE% ) and call it .android
4) Copy the file adb_usb.ini to the new .android folder
5) On the Kobo: Turn on USB Debugging under the development options
6) Connect the Kobo to the Windows PC
7) Go into Device Manager, and double-click on the K080 device, it should be listed under unknown. Choose "Update Driver" and pick "Let me choose a driver for this device", point it to the usb_driver package (in my instance I extracted the package to C:\temp, so my full path name was C:\temp\ZergRush-forKobo\usb_driver ). A list of devices will appear, choose ADB Interface
8) Restart the computer
9) Open up the zergrush runme.bat script and let it do it's magic, in my instance it was C:\temp\ZergRush-forKobo\zergrush\runme.bat
10) Install OogleVox
11) Donate!

If you are having problems with the driver installation, I have included some scripts in my ZergRush-forKobo zip.

On XP, please try running uninstalldriver_xp.cmd this should clear out the Kobo specific driver for you. If you are still having troubles after the script, delete the infcache.1 file in c:\windows\inf ( you need to enable hidden files in windows to see the file). UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES IN WINDOWS VISTA OR WINDOWS 7 DELETE INFCACHE.1. Windows XP will automatically recreate the file, Vista and higher will not.

On Windows Vista or Windows 7 (or higher), please use uninstalldriver_win7.cmd to clear our the specific driver for you.

Both scripts require administrative rights. Once you have run the script, please restart your computer before proceeding with step 6 again.

This IS a new version of the download that contains these new script, please use this new zip instead of the old one.

03/11/2012, 10:47PM EDT:
I've updated the uninstall script for Windows 7 and included the modded version of the USB driver (as a different folder) in the package. If you are having troubles with the original USB driver, try the usb_driver_modded instead.

03/12/2012, 10:52AM EDT:
I've taken a video of how to "force install" the driver for those who are wondering, you can view it here:

http://youtu.be/YJCS6fefBpw

Odieman
03-11-2012, 01:41 PM
Step 7 Windows XP: Cannot find driver for device...

danifunker
03-11-2012, 01:51 PM
Step 7 Windows XP: Cannot find driver for device...

Take a screenshot of your device manager with any "kobo" or any "other" devices listed.

As well, were you able to run the script that I included which wipes out the existing Kobo driver?

Odieman
03-11-2012, 03:51 PM
Here it is

danifunker
03-11-2012, 04:19 PM
Here it is

Excellent, we are at exactly where we should be. You need to specify the driver for windows at this point. So, finish the wizard, go to the properties of the K080, then say update driver. Dont let windows automaticaly find the driver, you need to specify the folder C:\temp\ZergRush-forKobo\usb_driver. Windows might say the driver isn't compatible so you have to force in the ADB interface driver.

BWinmill
03-11-2012, 04:21 PM
danifunker:did you add the following lines to android_winusb.inf?

%SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_2237&PID_2208
%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_2237&PID_2208&MI_01
%SingleBootLoaderInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_2237&PID_0FFF

It should be under [Google.NTx86] and [Google.NTamd64].

Odieman
03-11-2012, 04:40 PM
Freezes here:

danifunker
03-11-2012, 05:21 PM
danifunker:did you add the following lines to android_winusb.inf?

It should be under [Google.NTx86] and [Google.NTamd64].

No I never did that, but I never had to do that on my main PC, so I don't think this is required.

danifunker
03-11-2012, 05:29 PM
Freezes here:

OK that looks great! It seems that you have the correct driver installed, did you make sure to copy the adbusb.ini file to %userprofile%\.android and restart your computer?

You can also try using super1click, but I'm not really sure how that one works so I can't support it as well.

Looks to me like ADB currently isn't seeing the Kobo as a registered device.

Odieman
03-11-2012, 05:42 PM
Thats what I figure too...I am wondering if adbusb.ini is in the right place for XP?

BWinmill
03-11-2012, 05:51 PM
No I never did that, but I never had to do that on my main PC, so I don't think this is required.

It probably isn't necessary, but it makes it easier to install the drivers since you can simply tell Windows to search in a particular directory and it will figure out everything else for you.

danifunker
03-11-2012, 06:00 PM
It probably isn't necessary, but it makes it easier to install the drivers since you can simply tell Windows to search in a particular directory and it will figure out everything else for you.

I have a feeling this might have been what got us into the mess in the first place... That's why I'm avoiding it for now :)

If you compare the output from the output in the update thread, it has the same information in it, whereas my functioning installation doesn't have any remarks to this in any of my INF files, so I'm just keeping that out of the loop at this point.

briandking
03-11-2012, 07:53 PM
Excellent, we are at exactly where we should be. You need to specify the driver for windows at this point. So, finish the wizard, go to the properties of the K080, then say update driver. Dont let windows automaticaly find the driver, you need to specify the folder C:\temp\ZergRush-forKobo\usb_driver. Windows might say the driver isn't compatible so you have to force in the ADB interface driver.

How do you "force in the ADB interface driver"?
When I choose the usb_driver, windows gives a message saying:

"The specified location does not contain information about your hardware"

Brian

briandking
03-11-2012, 09:19 PM
In order to get the usb_driver to install on my system, I had to add the 3 lines suggested by BWinmill to android_winusb.inf:

under [Google.NTx86] and [Google.NTamd64].

After doing that, updating the driver and the rest of the instructions worked perfectly for me. Thanks!

samysdad
03-11-2012, 10:23 PM
FYI the win7 uninstall .cmd you added has the wrong flags...

FOR /f "tokens=*" %%a IN ('FINDSTR /l /i /m "kobo" "%windir%\inf\OEM*.inf"') DO (
IF "%ERRORLEVEL%"=="0" ( pnputil -d -f %%a
echo If any errors occured, please post to MobileRead forums. Otherwise, please restart your computer now.
pause
)

*****pnputil -f -d filename.inf is what it should be

samysdad
03-11-2012, 10:32 PM
By the way... still no worky. Kobo only ever shows up under Disk Driver... never under "Unknown"

danifunker
03-12-2012, 07:31 AM
Sammysdad, try the new version of the removal script and make sure you are running as administrator. Good luck!

todd33
03-12-2012, 11:00 AM
I am having the same problem as everyone else and it isn't working. I am unable to create the android folder with a .(dot) in front android. I am not sure if that matters but Win 7 will not allow it.

Device manager will not read the driver and I have uninstalled twice and rebooted.

I'm not a Windows Guy (have had Mac's for 16 years) and can't get into command scripts etc.

Any ideas?

danifunker
03-12-2012, 11:11 AM
Hi todd33, I actually experienced the same problem today when I was doing this on my work PC.

I'll add a script to the package soon to handle this, but in the meantime do the following:

1. Click Start -> Run -> cmd
2. type "cd %userprofile%" (without any quotes)
3. type "md .android" (without any quotes"
4. The folder should be created, try copying the file now.

danifunker
03-12-2012, 11:59 AM
How do you "force in the ADB interface driver"?
When I choose the usb_driver, windows gives a message saying:

"The specified location does not contain information about your hardware"

Brian

todd33
03-12-2012, 02:20 PM

That worked. Thanks.

samysdad
03-12-2012, 07:48 PM
Ran as admin and got...

Microsoft PnP Utility

Deleting the driver package failed :The parameter is incorrect.
If any errors occured, please post to MobileRead forums. Otherwise, please resta
rt your computer now.
Press any key to continue . . .

briandking
03-12-2012, 08:24 PM

Thanks for doing the video. That must be win7? With XP SP 3, it looks the same up until you select the directory. At that point you get a warning that you can override, but XP users get the error box I attached earlier.

samysdad
03-12-2012, 10:10 PM
JOY! Found a good work around for the rooting not working.

Install Oracle Virtual Box
Setup a vanilla XP OS with USB access
Follow danifunker's root guide at the top of this thread

PeterT
03-12-2012, 10:57 PM
Could also use VMWare's VM Player (tis free and unlike older versions of Player you can create virtual machines).

samysdad
03-12-2012, 11:30 PM
yeah I'm not a fan of VMware Player... complex to navigate their download site for the average non-vmware user vs. VirtualBox which is quite simple to get and use.

danifunker
03-13-2012, 09:57 AM
yeah I'm not a fan of VMware Player... complex to navigate their download site for the average non-vmware user vs. VirtualBox which is quite simple to get and use.

You still need an OS to load, so it might be tough for non-experienced users. I took a look at an existing liveCD that was built for rooting, but it would require a lot of knowledge that I don't have. Let's see if other people come up with some solutions, since I know it's an OS problem, but I'm not exactly sure where the problem lies.

Tordre
03-17-2012, 08:03 PM
Hello

My Vox updated to the march 8th update successfully, been trying to run your root script on windows but with my Vox in debugging mode it does not appear in windows device manager, I tried a few things like running your driver fix script, restarting my computer and restarting my device.

I looked into your batch file to see what it was doing. I got the gist of what it is doing so I figured I would try using my linux box to do the same as I already had Android dev tools installed (in case it was a windows driver error). Here is where things get interesting the device doesn't appear in debugging mode in Linux either.

So I am beginning to think the update might have ruined my ability to debug, The next thing I will probably try is a factory reset unless anyone can think of another possibility.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

muskiestallker
03-17-2012, 08:51 PM
I reached step 7 and got the following message: The folder you specified doesn't contain a compatible software driver for your device. If the folder contains a driver, make sure it is designed to work with Windows for x64-based systems.

I then tried to run the uninstall driver Windows 7 and got the following message: Microsoft PnP Utility
Deleting the driver package failed :The parameter is incorrect.
If any erros occured, please post to MobileRead forums. Otherwise, please restart your computer now.
Press any key to continue ...

Any help would be appreciated.

samysdad
03-17-2012, 11:32 PM
Yup Tordre and muskiestallker are both having the same issue I had. Here's the fix...

1. Install VirtualBox https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads
2. Install Windows XP Pro (SP2) as a VM in VirtualBox and give it access to USB
3. In the VM load up danifunker's package and follow his instructions

Tordre
03-18-2012, 12:46 AM
Yup Tordre and muskiestallker are both having the same issue I had. Here's the fix...

1. Install VirtualBox https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads
2. Install Windows XP Pro (SP2) as a VM in VirtualBox and give it access to USB
3. In the VM load up danifunker's package and follow his instructions

I got it working under linux after, my udev settings were wrong. You can just use the bat file provided and make proper conversions or try below copy and paste this code block into a file in the same folder as runme.bat, save it as runme.sh, chmod +x runme.sh, and then ./runme.sh to run it. This assumes you have the adk installed in linux, and your path includes where adb is.

echo "---------------------------------------------------------------"
echo " Easy rooting toolkit (v4.0)"
echo " created by DooMLoRD"
echo " using exploit zergRush (Revolutionary Team)"
echo " Credits go to all those involved in making this possible!"
echo " This script will:"
echo " (1) root ur device using latest zergRush exploit (21 Nov)"
echo " (2) install Busybox (1.18.4)"
echo " (3) install SU files (binary: 3.0.3 and apk: 3.0.6)"
echo " (4) some checks for free space, tmp directory "
echo " (will remove Google Maps if required)"
echo " Before u begin: "
echo " (1) make sure u have installed adb drivers for ur device"
echo " (2) enable \"USB DEBUGGING\" "
echo " from (Menu\Settings\Applications\Development)"
echo " (3) enable \"UNKNOWN SOURCES\""
echo " from (Menu\Settings\Applications)"
echo " (4) [OPTIONAL] increase screen timeout to 10 minutes"
echo " (5) connect USB cable to PHONE and then connect to PC"
echo " (6) skip \"PC Companion Software\" prompt on device"
echo " CONFIRM ALL THE ABOVE THEN "

echo "--- STARTING ----"
echo "--- WAITING FOR DEVICE"
adb wait-for-device
echo "--- creating temporary directory"
adb shell "cd /data/local && mkdir tmp"
echo "--- cleaning"
adb shell "cd /data/local/tmp/"
echo "--- pushing zergRush"
adb push files/zergRush /data/local/tmp/.
echo "--- correcting permissions"
adb shell "chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/zergRush"
echo "--- executing zergRush"
adb shell "./data/local/tmp/zergRush"
echo "--- WAITING FOR DEVICE TO RECONNECT"
echo "if it gets stuck over here for a long time then try:"
echo " disconnect usb cable and reconnect it"
echo " toggle "USB DEBUGGING" (first disable it then enable it)"
adb wait-for-device
echo "--- DEVICE FOUND"
echo "--- pushing busybox"
adb push files/busybox /data/local/tmp/.
adb shell "chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/busybox"
echo "--- remounting /system"
adb shell "/data/local/tmp/busybox mount -o remount,rw /system"
echo "--- checking free space on /system"
adb push files/makespace /data/local/tmp/.
adb shell "chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/makespace"
adb shell "./data/local/tmp/makespace"
echo "--- copying busybox to /system/xbin/"
adb shell "dd if=/data/local/tmp/busybox of=/system/xbin/busybox"
echo "--- correcting ownership"
adb shell "chown root.shell /system/xbin/busybox"
adb shell "chmod 04755 /system/xbin/busybox"
echo "--- installing busybox"
adb shell "/system/xbin/busybox --install -s /system/xbin"
adb shell "rm -r /data/local/tmp/busybox"
echo "--- pushing SU binary"
adb push files/su /system/bin/su
adb shell "chown root.shell /system/bin/su"
adb shell "chmod 06755 /system/bin/su"
echo "--- correcting symlinks"
adb shell "rm /system/xbin/su"
adb shell "ln -s /system/bin/su /system/xbin/su"
echo "--- pushing Superuser app"
adb push files/Superuser.apk /system/app/.
echo "--- cleaning"
echo "--- rebooting"
adb reboot
echo "ALL DONE!!!"

Also if you are going for a virtual method, if you are using windows 7 pro or ultimate you could use XP mode that is free you don't need to worry about getting an XP license (provided for free from microsoft), and has USB emulation mode.

EDIT Just tried to get it working on windows 7 again and it worked. I went into the device manager and uninstalled the mass storage device with the kobo vendor ID 0x2237, then when I plugged it back in it caused windows to re-install all the drivers for the device including the ADB drivers. You need to have the device plugged in to uninstall its drivers. muskiestallker try this.

Speculation I have a feeling this is occurring because of certain android phone manufacturers improperly installing drivers.

muskiestallker
03-18-2012, 09:43 AM
Tordre I tried what you suggested, when I plug the Kobo back in, I get the Kobo listed 3 times.

I then run the runme and it says
----Starting ------
----Waiting for Device
C:\Temp\ZergRush-forKobo\zergrush>files\adb wait-for-device

and that's it, nothing happens.

Tordre
03-18-2012, 10:33 AM
muskiestallker could you show me the Universal Serial Bus Controllers (expand the bottom category)? Did you uninstall the mass storage entry in there?

muskiestallker
03-18-2012, 12:38 PM
Here you go, no I did not uninstall anything from the universal serial bus controller.

Tordre
03-18-2012, 06:41 PM
Here you go, no I did not uninstall anything from the universal serial bus controller.

Is this the Vox plugged in? there should be at least one mass storage controler in there even if it is not mounted.

muskiestallker
03-18-2012, 09:41 PM
Here is the device manager with the Vox plugged in.

danifunker
03-19-2012, 11:13 AM

What's under portable devices?

muskiestallker
03-20-2012, 06:05 AM
Here you go

Tordre
03-20-2012, 09:56 AM

If you just remove the entry called "USB Mass Storage Device" in the last section, (right-click uninstall) The next time you plug it in it should search for new drivers for everything giving you a chance to install the drivers provided.

muskiestallker
03-21-2012, 06:23 AM
Okay thank you, I will give it a try

themechaniac
03-23-2012, 02:11 AM
:thanks:I got it working under linux after, my udev settings were wrong. You can just use the bat file provided and make proper conversions or try below copy and paste this code block into a file in the same folder as runme.bat, save it as runme.sh, chmod +x runme.sh, and then ./runme.sh to run it. This assumes you have the adk installed in linux, and your path includes where adb is.

echo " Easy rooting toolkit (v4.0)"
echo " created by DooMLoRD"
echo " using exploit zergRush (Revolutionary Team)"
echo " Credits go to all those involved in making this possible!"
echo " This script will:"
echo " (1) root ur device using latest zergRush exploit (21 Nov)"
echo " (2) install Busybox (1.18.4)"
echo " (3) install SU files (binary: 3.0.3 and apk: 3.0.6)"
echo " (4) some checks for free space, tmp directory "
echo " (will remove Google Maps if required)"
echo " Before u begin: "
echo " (1) make sure u have installed adb drivers for ur device"
echo " (2) enable \"USB DEBUGGING\" "
echo " from (Menu\Settings\Applications\Development)"
echo " (3) enable \"UNKNOWN SOURCES\""
echo " from (Menu\Settings\Applications)"
echo " (4) [OPTIONAL] increase screen timeout to 10 minutes"
echo " (5) connect USB cable to PHONE and then connect to PC"
echo " (6) skip \"PC Companion Software\" prompt on device"
echo " CONFIRM ALL THE ABOVE THEN "

echo "--- STARTING ----"
echo "--- WAITING FOR DEVICE"
adb wait-for-device
echo "--- creating temporary directory"
adb shell "cd /data/local && mkdir tmp"
echo "--- cleaning"
echo "--- pushing zergRush"
adb push files/zergRush /data/local/tmp/.
adb shell "chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/zergRush"
echo "--- executing zergRush"
adb shell "./data/local/tmp/zergRush"
echo "--- WAITING FOR DEVICE TO RECONNECT"
echo "if it gets stuck over here for a long time then try:"
echo " disconnect usb cable and reconnect it"
echo " toggle "USB DEBUGGING" (first disable it then enable it)"
adb wait-for-device
echo "--- DEVICE FOUND"
echo "--- pushing busybox"
adb push files/busybox /data/local/tmp/.
adb shell "chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/busybox"
echo "--- remounting /system"
adb shell "/data/local/tmp/busybox mount -o remount,rw /system"
echo "--- checking free space on /system"
adb push files/makespace /data/local/tmp/.
adb shell "chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/makespace"
adb shell "./data/local/tmp/makespace"
echo "--- copying busybox to /system/xbin/"
adb shell "dd if=/data/local/tmp/busybox of=/system/xbin/busybox"
adb shell "chown root.shell /system/xbin/busybox"
adb shell "chmod 04755 /system/xbin/busybox"
echo "--- installing busybox"
adb shell "/system/xbin/busybox --install -s /system/xbin"
adb shell "rm -r /data/local/tmp/busybox"
echo "--- pushing SU binary"
adb push files/su /system/bin/su
adb shell "chown root.shell /system/bin/su"
adb shell "chmod 06755 /system/bin/su"
echo "--- correcting symlinks"
adb shell "rm /system/xbin/su"
adb shell "ln -s /system/bin/su /system/xbin/su"
echo "--- pushing Superuser app"
adb push files/Superuser.apk /system/app/.
echo "--- cleaning"
echo "--- rebooting"
adb reboot
echo "ALL DONE!!!"

Also if you are going for a virtual method, if you are using windows 7 pro or ultimate you could use XP mode that is free you don't need to worry about getting an XP license (provided for free from microsoft), and has USB emulation mode.

EDIT Just tried to get it working on windows 7 again and it worked. I went into the device manager and uninstalled the mass storage device with the kobo vendor ID 0x2237, then when I plugged it back in it caused windows to re-install all the drivers for the device including the ADB drivers. You need to have the device plugged in to uninstall its drivers. muskiestallker try this.

Speculation I have a feeling this is occurring because of certain android phone manufacturers improperly installing drivers.

Many thanks for the script and info,.It took awhile to figure out where it belonged in my system and get it working. I already had adb installed for my Acer A500. I also want to thank danifunker and the rest of the group that worked on this. After Kobo bricked my wife's stock Kobo Vox I figured it needs to be hacked and backed up. All done. Had to relearn Linux to do it and I am going to keep at Linux and Android.
:thanks:

NonCorporeal
03-28-2012, 08:43 PM
Hey all,

First time post, Yes I am a noob. I have been following the development of Oogle Vox an I am desperately trying to install on my Kobo to make the useless thing have some kind of functionality. I have manged to install Oogle Vox however I cannot successfully root my device. I understand the majority of your instructions but I am at a loss for step 3. Is this a directory on the kobo vox ( %USERPROFILE% )? If so I cannot locate it. Obviously I am missing some critical information.

Any help or advise is greatly appreciated.

danifunker
03-28-2012, 08:59 PM
Hey all,

First time post, Yes I am a noob. I have been following the development of Oogle Vox an I am desperately trying to install on my Kobo to make the useless thing have some kind of functionality. I have manged to install Oogle Vox however I cannot successfully root my device. I understand the majority of your instructions but I am at a loss for step 3. Is this a directory on the kobo vox ( %USERPROFILE% )? If so I cannot locate it. Obviously I am missing some critical information.

Any help or advise is greatly appreciated.

Hi there,

The easiest thing to do is click on start -> run -> cmd
a DOS window will appear.

exclude the quotes from the following commands...

Type "cd %USERPROFILE%" then press enter.
Next, type "md .android" then press enter.
then type "exit" and press enter.

now, press start -> run and type in "%userprofile%\.android" (no quotes)
drop the file adb_usb.ini into this folder.

Good luck!

NonCorporeal
03-29-2012, 01:47 PM
Thank you danifunker I will try this later tonight:)

Moketa
03-30-2012, 01:48 PM
I am using Win 7 & cannot change kobo driver.Keeps saying "The best driver software for your system is already installed"
Also device manager says "this device cannot start.(Code 10)

NonCorporeal
03-30-2012, 05:53 PM
Thanks to all who posted, and danifunker. Apologies for asking a question previously answered on the post. Now I know to read ENTIRE posts before attempting anything:) I figured I should post my results in case it might help anyone as your posts have helped me.

My major issue, after realizing danifunker was taking about a script command in step 3 (see previous post ), was that kobo vox did not appear under unknown devices in device manager.

My vox did appear under disk drives (3 instances)
but it would not let me change driver (driver up to date message).

1. I followed Tordre's advice and uninstalled mass storage device under USB controllers.

2. Unplugged and re-attached my kobo and it appeared under unknown devices (K080).

3.I followed the video posted by danifunker to force install driver.

4. re-booted my pc.

5. ran runme.bat file.

6. opened Oogle Vox on my Vox.

7. Oogle Vox then confirmed rooting and allowed installation of Google framework!!

Thanks to all, especially danifunker I appreciate your hard work.

Moketa
04-06-2012, 08:05 AM
When i go looking for "Device type", ADB interface is not listed! I am running Win 7 & I made the .android directory & put in the adb ini file.
Any suggestions?

Moketa
04-06-2012, 09:35 AM
Finally got it done!
Thanks Danifunker

Inkerlink
04-07-2012, 02:09 AM
Hello there,

I just can't seem to get this driver thing to work. I uninstall the USB Mass Storage under USB Controllers and unplug my Vox. Then I plug it back in and Windows 7 just reinstalls everything without giving me a chance to do anything. I also tried it under VM Player in XP, and even though it showed up under Unknown devices, it wouldn't detect any of the drivers in the folder.

Windows 7 let me install ADB ONCE, but after restarting my PC the bat file wouldn't work. What should I do now?

Dan690
04-08-2012, 01:28 PM
Hi. I'm getting the following error when I run the bat file. The system cannot find the path specified.

I am running Windows 7 Professional x64. Please see the screenshot.

Thanks for any help on this issue.

danifunker
04-09-2012, 02:51 PM
Hi. I'm getting the following error when I run the bat file. The system cannot find the path specified.

I am running Windows 7 Professional x64. Please see the screenshot.

Thanks for any help on this issue.

Please try launching the "runme" batch file from a command prompt manually.

IE, go to Start -> run -> cmd

cd \temp\zergrush-forkobo\zergrush

runme

Good luck!

joelamorales
04-11-2012, 12:20 PM
why does my kobo not show up in other devices in devise manger in my win7 pc?

Hi Everyone,

I know there have been a number of users who haven't been able to get root again after the March 2, 2012 update.

Here are the instructions:
1) Download the package ZergRush-forKobo.zip
2) Extract the files from the package
3) Make a new folder in your user profile ( %USERPROFILE% ) and call it .android
5) On the Kobo: Turn on USB Debugging under the development options
6) Connect the Kobo to the Windows PC
7) Go into Device Manager, and double-click on the K080 device, it should be listed under unknown. Choose "Update Driver" and pick "Let me choose a driver for this device", point it to the usb_driver package (in my instance I extracted the package to C:\temp, so my full path name was C:\temp\ZergRush-forKobo\usb_driver ). A list of devices will appear, choose ADB Interface
8) Restart the computer
9) Open up the zergrush runme.bat script and let it do it's magic, in my instance it was C:\temp\ZergRush-forKobo\zergrush\runme.bat
10) Install OogleVox
11) Donate!

If you are having problems with the driver installation, I have included some scripts in my ZergRush-forKobo zip.

On XP, please try running uninstalldriver_xp.cmd this should clear out the Kobo specific driver for you. If you are still having troubles after the script, delete the infcache.1 file in c:\windows\inf ( you need to enable hidden files in windows to see the file). UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES IN WINDOWS VISTA OR WINDOWS 7 DELETE INFCACHE.1. Windows XP will automatically recreate the file, Vista and higher will not.

On Windows Vista or Windows 7 (or higher), please use uninstalldriver_win7.cmd to clear our the specific driver for you.

Both scripts require administrative rights. Once you have run the script, please restart your computer before proceeding with step 6 again.

This IS a new version of the download that contains these new script, please use this new zip instead of the old one.

03/11/2012, 10:47PM EDT:
I've updated the uninstall script for Windows 7 and included the modded version of the USB driver (as a different folder) in the package. If you are having troubles with the original USB driver, try the usb_driver_modded instead.

03/12/2012, 10:52AM EDT:
I've taken a video of how to "force install" the driver for those who are wondering, you can view it here:

Corinian
04-23-2012, 06:34 AM
Thank you, thank you, thank you.

All rooted, using the method above and the YouTube vid to force the driver update

tardisrosedalek
04-26-2012, 09:04 PM
Resolved

bobyjoe3
05-03-2012, 12:18 AM
when I run the runme.bat it just sais "adb wait-for-device" and does nothing. What do i need to to change?? :help:

kcarscadden
05-03-2012, 10:00 AM
when I run the runme.bat it just sais "adb wait-for-device" and does nothing. What do i need to to change?? :help:

Have you completed properly the steps concerning drivers? Is your Kobo set to USB debugging?

bobyjoe3
05-03-2012, 10:38 AM
i have the SAME problem as you:help:

Hello there,
I just can't seem to get this driver thing to work. I uninstall the USB Mass Storage under USB Controllers and unplug my Vox. Then I plug it back in and Windows 7 just reinstalls everything without giving me a chance to do anything. I also tried it under VM Player in XP, and even though it showed up under Unknown devices, it wouldn't detect any of the drivers in the folder.

Windows 7 let me install ADB ONCE, but after restarting my PC the bat file wouldn't work. What should I do now?

bobyjoe3
05-03-2012, 10:39 AM
yes, but Iuninstall the USB Mass Storage under USB Controllers and unplug my Vox. Then I plug it back in and Windows 7 just reinstalls everything without giving me a chance to do anything. I also tried it under VM Player in XP, and even though it showed up under Unknown devices, it wouldn't detect any of the drivers in the folder.

-- same as interlink's problem

Alexe
05-12-2012, 05:24 PM
Hi danifunker,
I tried to root my Kobo Vox and it doesn't work... Here's what I think... I could do the steps 1 to 8 without any problem but when I try to root it, it starts and then says: Waiting for device... and all... I did check USB debugging and all... The only trouble is with the two following steps:
Actually, I think I didn't do it the good way... In fact, I honestly don't understand how to do it... I tried some things and read the previous posts but I still can't do it... I think maybe here's the reason why the rooting doesn't work... I already spent too much time on that (a couple of hours!!!) so I'm really asking for your help... Could you please explain me how to do the steps 3 and 4??
Thank you so much, I read that it worked for a lot of people so I hope it will work for me!
P.S: I'm using Windows 7 64 bits.

danifunker
05-13-2012, 01:51 AM
Hi danifunker,
I tried to root my Kobo Vox and it doesn't work... Here's what I think... I could do the steps 1 to 8 without any problem but when I try to root it, it starts and then says: Waiting for device... and all... I did check USB debugging and all... The only trouble is with the two following steps:
Actually, I think I didn't do it the good way... In fact, I honestly don't understand how to do it... I tried some things and read the previous posts but I still can't do it... I think maybe here's the reason why the rooting doesn't work... I already spent too much time on that (a couple of hours!!!) so I'm really asking for your help... Could you please explain me how to do the steps 3 and 4??
Thank you so much, I read that it worked for a lot of people so I hope it will work for me!
P.S: I'm using Windows 7 64 bits.

Hi there,
I'm assuming that you can't create the .android folder in your Windows profile, so run s command prompt start - run - cmd
Then do the following commands:
1) cd %USERPROFILE%
2) md .android

Once the folder is created, try following step 4 again. Good luck!

rejmac
05-26-2012, 01:47 AM
Can you please tell me where I can download ZergRush-forKobo.zip file
Thanks

danifunker
05-26-2012, 07:34 AM
Can you please tell me where I can download ZergRush-forKobo.zip file
Thanks

It's an attachment to the first post in this thread.

rejmac
05-29-2012, 11:06 PM
I got it just after I sent the message. How stupid of me!!!
Thanks for your patience...

plowmon
06-24-2012, 08:39 AM
Has anyone been able to root after the June update? I am getting the zergrush "hellions with blue flames" error when I try to use the zergrush method

mr_nobody
06-24-2012, 10:51 AM
There was a post in another thread about removing the card from the vox, mounting it under linux and copying su but I think most of us would prefer a less invasive method...

niki2011
08-10-2012, 06:48 PM
I have problems with runme script. When I run runme script I get this output:

C:\Programi\Android\ZergRush-forKobo\zergrush>runme
---------------------------------------------------------------
Easy rooting toolkit (v4.0)
created by DooMLoRD
using exploit zergRush (Revolutionary Team)
Credits go to all those involved in making this possible!
This script will:
(1) root ur device using latest zergRush exploit (21 Nov)
(2) install Busybox (1.18.4)
(3) install SU files (binary: 3.0.3 and apk: 3.0.6)
(4) some checks for free space, tmp directory
(will remove Google Maps if required)
Before u begin:
(1) make sure u have installed files\adb drivers for ur device
(2) enable "USB DEBUGGING"
from (Menu\Settings\Applications\Development)
(3) enable "UNKNOWN SOURCES"
from (Menu\Settings\Applications)
(4) [OPTIONAL] increase screen timeout to 10 minutes
(5) connect USB cable to PHONE and then connect to PC
(6) skip "PC Companion Software" prompt on device
CONFIRM ALL THE ABOVE THEN
Press any key to continue . . .
--- STARTING ----
--- WAITING FOR DEVICE

C:\Programi\Android\ZergRush-forKobo\zergrush>files\adb wait-for-device
--- creating temporary directory

C:\Programi\Android\ZergRush-forKobo\zergrush>files\adb shell "cd /data/local &&
mkdir tmp"
mkdir failed for tmp, File exists
--- cleaning

C:\Programi\Android\ZergRush-forKobo\zergrush>files\adb shell "cd /data/local/tm
p/ && rm *"
rm failed for *, No such file or directory
--- pushing zergRush

C:\Programi\Android\ZergRush-forKobo\zergrush>files\adb push files\zergRush /dat
a/local/tmp/.
1023 KB/s (23060 bytes in 0.022s)
--- correcting permissions

C:\Programi\Android\ZergRush-forKobo\zergrush>files\adb shell "chmod 777 /data/l
ocal/tmp/zergRush"
--- executing zergRush

C:\Programi\Android\ZergRush-forKobo\zergrush>files\adb shell "./data/local/tmp/
zergRush"

[**] Zerg rush - Android 2.2/2.3 local root
[**] (C) 2011 Revolutionary. All rights reserved.

[**] Parts of code from Gingerbreak, (C) 2010-2011 The Android Exploid Crew.

[+] Found a GingerBread ! 0x00000118
Scooting ...
Sending 149 zerglings ...
Sending 189 zerglings ...
[-] Hellions with BLUE flames !
--- WAITING FOR DEVICE TO RECONNECT
if it gets stuck over here for a long time then try:
disconnect usb cable and reconnect it
toggle "USB DEBUGGING" (first disable it then enable it)

C:\Programi\Android\ZergRush-forKobo\zergrush>files\adb wait-for-device
--- DEVICE FOUND
--- pushing busybox

C:\Programi\Android\ZergRush-forKobo\zergrush>files\adb push files\busybox /data
/local/tmp/.
1264 KB/s (1075144 bytes in 0.830s)

C:\Programi\Android\ZergRush-forKobo\zergrush>files\adb shell "chmod 755 /data/l
ocal/tmp/busybox"
--- remounting /system

C:\Programi\Android\ZergRush-forKobo\zergrush>files\adb shell "/data/local/tmp/b
usybox mount -o remount,rw /system"
mount: permission denied (are you root?)
--- checking free space on /system

C:\Programi\Android\ZergRush-forKobo\zergrush>files\adb push files\makespace /da
ta/local/tmp/.
61 KB/s (439 bytes in 0.007s)

C:\Programi\Android\ZergRush-forKobo\zergrush>files\adb shell "chmod 777 /data/l
ocal/tmp/makespace"

C:\Programi\Android\ZergRush-forKobo\zergrush>files\adb shell "./data/local/tmp/
makespace"
--- Free space on /system : 10808 bytes
--- no cleanup required
--- copying busybox to /system/xbin/

C:\Programi\Android\ZergRush-forKobo\zergrush>files\adb shell "dd if=/data/local
/tmp/busybox of=/system/xbin/busybox"
/system/xbin/busybox: cannot open for write: Read-only file system
--- correcting ownership

C:\Programi\Android\ZergRush-forKobo\zergrush>files\adb shell "chown root.shell
/system/xbin/busybox"
Unable to chmod /system/xbin/busybox: No such file or directory

C:\Programi\Android\ZergRush-forKobo\zergrush>files\adb shell "chmod 04755 /syst
em/xbin/busybox"
Unable to chmod /system/xbin/busybox: No such file or directory
--- installing busybox

C:\Programi\Android\ZergRush-forKobo\zergrush>files\adb shell "/system/xbin/busy
box --install -s /system/xbin"
/system/xbin/busybox: not found

C:\Programi\Android\ZergRush-forKobo\zergrush>files\adb shell "rm -r /data/local
/tmp/busybox"
--- pushing SU binary

C:\Programi\Android\ZergRush-forKobo\zergrush>files\adb push files\su /system/bi
n/su
failed to copy 'files\su' to '/system/bin/su': Read-only file system
--- correcting ownership

C:\Programi\Android\ZergRush-forKobo\zergrush>files\adb shell "chown root.shell
/system/bin/su"
Unable to chmod /system/bin/su: No such file or directory

C:\Programi\Android\ZergRush-forKobo\zergrush>files\adb shell "chmod 06755 /syst
em/bin/su"
Unable to chmod /system/bin/su: No such file or directory
--- correcting symlinks

C:\Programi\Android\ZergRush-forKobo\zergrush>files\adb shell "rm /system/xbin/s
u"
rm failed for /system/xbin/su, Read-only file system

C:\Programi\Android\ZergRush-forKobo\zergrush>files\adb shell "ln -s /system/bin
/su /system/xbin/su"
link failed Read-only file system
--- pushing Superuser app

C:\Programi\Android\ZergRush-forKobo\zergrush>files\adb push files\Superuser.apk
/system/app/.
failed to copy 'files\Superuser.apk' to '/system/app/./Superuser.apk': Read-only
file system
--- cleaning

C:\Programi\Android\ZergRush-forKobo\zergrush>files\adb shell "cd /data/local/tm
p/; rm *"
--- rebooting

C:\Programi\Android\ZergRush-forKobo\zergrush>files\adb reboot
ALL DONE!!!

kcarscadden
08-10-2012, 08:39 PM
Read the entire thread. You will see that after the latest update, this method no longer works, and there is no easy method so far discovered to root the Vox. See post #65 in this thread.