View Full Version : Overdrive Confuzzled Me Yesterday

copyrite
02-20-2012, 11:42 AM
I had my very first Kindle 'transfer only via USB' borrow from Overdrive yesterday. I borrowed two books, and couldn't figure out why the one I wanted to read first didn't show up on my Kindle.

Guess I didn't look close enough when checking it out but realized it when the Manage Your Kindle page made it obvious I couldn't send it to the Kindle over Whispersync.

Also realized the extended version of The Stand is not Overdrive-worthy for me. I need to re-check it out! (I've read that book enough I can read it in bits and pieces and not have to rush to see what happens next, but I've never read this version before. LOL)

tubemonkey
02-20-2012, 12:07 PM
I had my very first Kindle 'transfer only via USB' borrow from Overdrive yesterday. I borrowed two books, and couldn't figure out why the one I wanted to read first didn't show up on my Kindle.

I'm boycotting all Kindle USB only books. I'll just read something else.

copyrite
02-20-2012, 12:50 PM
Hope they won't all eventually be USB borrows. I love the convenience of the Whispersync.

tubemonkey
02-20-2012, 01:22 PM
Hope they won't all eventually be USB borrows. I love the convenience of the Whispersync.

So do I. But for every publisher that does it, I'll just find one that doesn't.

TimW
02-20-2012, 01:23 PM

There's a glitch in the "USB Only" thing. Once you've sent the book to your computer for sideloading, it suddenly appears in your all your device/app archives. You can download it from the archive without sideloading. You just can't send it from the MYK page. I just got a Penguin book from the library and loaded it on Cloud Reader, K4PC, and the KF...no sideloading. :D

tubemonkey
02-20-2012, 02:32 PM
There's a glitch in the "USB Only" thing. Once you've sent the book to your computer for sideloading, it suddenly appears in your all your device/app archives. You can download it from the archive without sideloading. You just can't send it from the MYK page. I just got a Penguin book from the library and loaded it on Cloud Reader, K4PC, and the KF...no sideloading. :D

I just downloaded Dune Messiah from my HP TouchPad and sent it to my K3; plus it's in my apps.

Wonder if/when they'll plug this hole up?

TimW
02-20-2012, 02:46 PM
I just downloaded Dune Messiah from my HP TouchPad and sent it to my K3; plus it's in my apps.

You're welcome! :)

I hope it's never "fixed." Also, it seems the only block in getting Kindle library books from Penguin is that you must have at least one Kindle device registered to your account. You will hit a logjam of death if you only have apps registered...you can't complete the checkout process.

AnemicOak
02-20-2012, 02:56 PM

Maybe that counts as enough "friction" for the publisher.

tubemonkey
02-20-2012, 02:56 PM
You're welcome! :)

I hope it's never "fixed." Also, it seems the only block in getting Kindle library books from Penguin is that you must have at least one Kindle device registered to your account. You will hit a logjam of death if you only have apps registered...you can't complete the checkout process.

What's interesting in the Penguin "Dune" series, is that some have the USB restriction and some don't. Go figure.

copyrite
02-20-2012, 03:33 PM
I couldn't download the Overdrive title to K4PC through WhisperSync nor would the downloaded file open in K4PC, but the book opened from my archives on both my (Android) phone and iTouch.

tubemonkey
02-20-2012, 03:48 PM
Maybe that counts as enough "friction" for the publisher.

In the end, it was still a wireless delivery to my Kindle and I didn't have any extra steps in the process.

tubemonkey
02-20-2012, 03:51 PM
I couldn't download the Overdrive title to K4PC through WhisperSync nor would the downloaded file open in K4PC, but the book opened from my archives on both my (Android) phone and iTouch.

It appeared in all of my Kindle apps, my K4PC, and my Cloud Reader.

copyrite
02-20-2012, 03:52 PM
It was listed in K4PC in my archives but I could not read it. Did you try opening it?

TimW
02-20-2012, 03:56 PM
In the end, it was still a wireless delivery to my Kindle and I didn't have any extra steps in the process.

I wonder if apps would have to be "updated" to block downloading from the archive. If so, I don't imagine Amazon will be in any hurry to do so. Furshlugginer Penguin and their friction...

tubemonkey
02-20-2012, 03:57 PM
It was listed in K4PC in my archives but I could not read it. Did you try opening it?

Yep; it opens in everywhere it went. I checked it just after it was downloaded to be sure there were no problems.

TimW
02-20-2012, 03:58 PM
Yep; it opens in everywhere it went. I checked it just to be sure there were no problems.

Same here, it opens to "last page read," perfect as always.

koland
02-22-2012, 10:58 AM

Not sure what they hope to accomplish. I get the downloaded versions over wireless, anyway (although it does force me to get them on a notebook or netbook, instead of thru the Kindle browser).

Then, just email them to your Kindle .... or pull from the archives, if you have a small enough library that yours works.

copyrite
02-22-2012, 11:23 AM
email them to your Kindle

I'll have to try that next time... good idea!

tubemonkey
02-22-2012, 12:55 PM
Not sure what they hope to accomplish. I get the downloaded versions over wireless, anyway (although it does force me to get them on a notebook or netbook, instead of thru the Kindle browser).

Then, just email them to your Kindle .... or pull from the archives, if you have a small enough library that yours works.

TimW discussed a glitch in the system, so I'm back to wireless downloads of Penguin books. I successfully did a wireless borrow of a USB only download without using email. See above posts.

copyrite
02-24-2012, 11:57 AM

Once I deleted the title from K4PC and re-downloaded it, it opened with no problem. I must've attempted to open the downloaded file in K4PC and it preferred to read from the cloud.