Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 02-19-2012, 05:24 PM   #1
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Exclamation Free (Kindle KDP) Radix by A.A. Attanasio [Far-Future Coming-of-Age SF Award Nominee]

Technically, today's slushpile feature is a repeat, since we'd previously gotten Radix, the 1st book in A.A. Attanasio's acclaimed Radix Tetrad, as former re-publisher Phoenix Pick Press' Free eBook of the Month selection for September last year.

But now like so much else, it's been yanked for KDP. Well, at least it'll be interesting to see how whatever the author's Mobi-only-formatting is like will compare to PPick's multiformat ePub/Mobi/PDF layout.

Radix, the 1st book in A.A. Attanasio's far-futuristic Radix Tetrad, is one of those coming-of-age "hero's journey" type of things where a young man gradually discovers amazing talents within himself which probably end up changing his world, because otherwise, what's the point?

This happens to be a Nebula Award nominee, and if you're interested in the other books in the series, they are still available via Phoenix Pick Press for who knows how long, but DRM-free in your choice of ePub or Mobi bought direct, or via Amazon/B&N if you prefer. They are a bit pricey and normally I'd advise holding out for a coupon sale which stacks on top of the usual 15% direct-buy discount.

Attanasio's other KDP freebies were DRM-free, but this is a newly uploaded one and I can no longer tell which settings he uses, so have fun playing DRM-or-Not Roulette while this is probably free just for the rest of the day @ Amazon main UK DE ES FR IT

Description
A young man's odyssey of self discovery in a world eerily alien, yet hauntingly familiar. Set thirteen centuries in the future, A. A. Attanasio meticulously creates a brilliantly realized Earth, rich in detail and filled with beings brought to life with intense energy. In this strange and beautiful world, Sumner Kagan will change from an adolescent outcast to a warrior with god-like powers and in the process take us on an epic and transcendent journey. Nebula Award Nominee

The rest of the slushpile, which has some new stuff amidst a fair proportion of repeats. Not sorted because I've used up enough of my time essentially doing unpaid shilling for Amazon's disadvantageously artificially narrowed and reader-marginalizing market-debasing deliberately monopolistic-aspiring limited distribution channel. Enjoy.

Once again, ISFDB-ed horror writer Aaron Polson offers a bunch of stuff: Linkage for a novel and 3 collections, as far as I can tell

ISFDBed Jane Toombs returns with another volume in her historical saga set in old California which may include romantic content: Golden Chances Book 5 - The Fixer

Chris Dolley, who had a book in the Baen Free Library last time I checked (unless it's been yanked for KDP) offers the comedic: International Kittens of Mystery

Karen Rose Smith offers a 1997-Zebra "sexy contemporary romance with family subplot": Ribbons And Rainbows (ETA: Another contemporary romance of hers is still free to all via Smashwords: Heartfire)

Technically, this is another repeat freebie, as we'd already gotten Melissa Schroeder's BDSM erotic romance title as part of the All Romance eBooks Xmas Countdown giveaway promotion before she yanked it for KDP: A Little Harmless Submission

Glen R. Krisch has minor ISFDB credits for two stories in small outlets printed under variants of his name. He offers a couple of horror-looking novellas: Linkage for both

Small-press travel guide writer Jason Jack Miller returns with another in his "Appalachian gothic" series: Hellbender (Murder Ballads and Whiskey)

Previously-title-featured Canadian Governor General's Award for Children's Literature winner Morgan Nyberg repeats all 5 of his KDP works, including the said award-winning kidlit plus some satiric comedy and post-apocalyptic sfnal dystopia: Linkage for the lot

Also previously-title-featured Canadian Governor General's Award for Children's Literature Winner Arthur Slade offers a collection of fantasy/comedy/horror shorts (may be YA-slanted) yanked from Smashwords to KDP: Shades

One of our fellow MR members once commented that s/he'd enjoyed another of previously-included self-pub RWA Golden Heart Award-nominee (this is apparently their prize for newbie-with-promising-manuscript) Pamela Beason's works, so here is another work of hers which I think is a repeat: Shaken: A Romantic Suspense

Tracy L. Carbone has minor: ISFDB credits, including a couple of novels published by newbie small press Echelon whose other authors we've seen pop up previously. S/he offers a horror short: The Folks

Previously-title-featured Lee Killough repeats her African-mythology-based adventure/coming-of-age fantasy: The Leopard's Daughter

Bryn Jones has a single ISFDB credit for the cover of Clarkesworld magazine, a semi-major outlet that was nominated for the Hugos last year, and had several shorts published in it also nominated. S/he offers an epic fantasy novel: Dragon

Previously-featured Donald Newlove, who IIRC is some kind of theatre guy whose autobiography really has been reviewed by Time Magazine, offers what looks like a comedic satirical litfic novel, though of course with all his works it's kind of hard to tell for sure: Archie--A Screwball Tragedy (Starlite Photoplays)

Previously-featured much-published HarperCollins/Dell/Berkley-printed UK writer Nicola Thorne returns with three offerings, including a 1998 Wuthering Heights "sequel", a collection of never-before-collected stories, and a 2004-Severn House historical about a girl sent to a convent to escape the London Blitz: Linkage for the lot

Renee Simons wrote one of those Harlequin Silhouette Intimate Moments once. Here is a different contemporary romance, offered via Books We Love/BWLPP: Eye of the Storm

Signet-published YA writer Barbara Bartholomew returns with a younger children's book: The Ugly Little Puppy

David L. Walker offers the 1st in a possibly-ocmedic PI series, 1998-St. Martin's/Minotaured: A Ticket to Die For (Wild Onion, Ltd. Mystery)

Previously-included Gabriella West offers an f/f short story which she says was in noted LGBT small press Cleis' Best Women's Erotica 2004 collection: The Captain and Claire (Erotic Romance)

Marsha Canham repeats her 1996-Dell-paperbacked historical pirate romance: Across A Moonlit Sea (Pirate Wolf series)

Previously-included Canadian poet Pamela Ditchoff, who had a novel published by a minor Random House imprint, offers another fairy-tale-based contemporary litfic novel, sequel to the one previously offered: PRINCESS BEAST (ETA: Which, as it turns out, is a also a repeat freebie if you missed it earlier: Mrs. Beast)

Suzanne Alleyn offers a vintage 1965 Hastings House-printed children's/YA historical fiction tale set during the Puritan era: The Spinning Wheel Secret

M.R. Sellars offers a few paranormal investigative thrillers, two of them in a series that is listed on the ISFDB and despite the publisher names for those only going to works by this particular author, otherwise seem to have printed other non-ISFDB books by other people: Linkage for all three

Previously-included probably-self-pub Canadian Cindy Bouchard offers another volume in her BC set historical family drama if you've been following them: The Promised Land 1912 (Princes of the North)

Depending on your career plans or personal connections, this may or may not be of use to you or someone you know: Science Theses. An insider's guide to writing a successful thesis or dissertation

Last edited by ATDrake; 02-19-2012 at 06:00 PM. Reason: Other stuff still free, some of it actually available off Amazon!
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 08:26 PM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Picked up a few, as I had already picked up some that were mentioned.

Much thanks!

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2012, 08:51 PM   #3
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Oooh - I hope that means the whole Radix Tetrad is going to be on offer. Already have Radix, but I don't have the other three.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 10:44 PM   #4
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
Oooh - I hope that means the whole Radix Tetrad is going to be on offer. Already have Radix, but I don't have the other three.
Perhaps one day, but for now Phoenix Pick still holds the rights to re-publish across multiple channels e- and paper and likely will for at least several more months at the minimum, as Radix seems to have been their first Attanasio and a gap of some time since that and their re-release of his other books, which will take longer to expire from whatever re-publication/distribution contract was signed.

You are, of course, quite free to keep checking the KDP Select exclusive-or-else-now-with-added-DRM!-(maybe) slushpile for its appearance at any time using whatever tools you favour for doing so to see if they've been yanked from all other venues in exchange for 5 days of possible promotion out of 90 days of lock-in.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:05 AM   #5
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I should really get my proverbial in gear and write a script that extracts all the info from Amazon for my favourite authors so I can catch a deal when it comes up.
Advert
Old 02-20-2012, 05:54 AM   #6
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
I should really get my proverbial in gear and write a script that extracts all the info from Amazon for my favourite authors so I can catch a deal when it comes up.

Probably no need to. Go here and you can filter for the genres you like. A great site that I discovered yesterday. It lists all the free ebooks for each day. Here it is:

http://www.ereaderiq.com/free/

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:30 AM   #7
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Far-Future Coming-of-Age SF Award

Is there really such an award ?
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 07:28 AM   #8
mikaelalind
Fanatic
mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Cybook Odessey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Probably no need to. Go here and you can filter for the genres you like. A great site that I discovered yesterday. It lists all the free ebooks for each day. Here it is:

Don
Thank you! I discovered two free books by authors I have been curious about for awhile.
mikaelalind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:48 AM   #9
Venus
Country girl
Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many
Quote:

Don
Thanks Dr Drib for the new site, my e-library is e-normous.
Venus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 11:35 AM   #10
ATDrake
Wizzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
Far-Future Coming-of-Age SF Award

Is there really such an award ?
Probably, given the plethora of niche award categories out there, but you're parsing incorrectly. "Far Future Coming-of-Age" + "SF Award Nominee".
Old 02-20-2012, 05:13 PM   #11
caleb72
Indie Advocate

Quote:

Don
Wow - this is awesome! You can even create watch lists for books so that if the price drops you can be notified.

Karma for you.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:02 PM   #12
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
Probably, given the plethora of niche award categories out there, but you're parsing incorrectly. "Far Future Coming-of-Age" + "SF Award Nominee".
Parsing, sparssing, what can I do (he shrugged expressively) I can only copy what I got, already.
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote