Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-05-2007, 04:29 PM   #1
Klaatu
Klaatu doesn't litterKlaatu doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Conversion tool for Mac OS X

Greetings, everyone.

I'm a new Sony PRS-505 owner and a Mac user. As you can guess the Sony Connect store software isn't really an option for me, so I was glad to find MobileRead and all the great public domain content that has been posted. I've downloaded several books and am happily reading them on my Sony Reader. Many thanks to all the folks that took the time to do the work to make the content look so good.

I would like to buy some more content from places like fictionwise.com, but am unsure about which format to buy and what is the best way to convert that content so I can read it on my Reader. I know my options are limited since I'm using Mac OS X, but I just need one tool.

If any can offer any insight I would greatly appreciate it.

Regards,
Michael
Klaatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 05:37 PM   #2
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Check out libprs500. It should take care of all the conversions you need from fictionwise content (the 'multi-format' books only! the others are locked up with DRM). libprs500 also does a dandy job with books from Baen as well, starting from either the mobipocket or the html versions.

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2007, 09:41 PM   #3
Klaatu

Thanks for the tip! libprs500 does what I'm looking for; although something called "unrtf" crashes during the conversion process it does finish the job. Probably an incompatibility between Leopard and something the app is doing. Hopefully there will be an update soon.

But I'm in business. Thanks.
Old 12-09-2007, 05:42 AM   #4
StDo
Translating Calibre...
StDo plays well with othersStDo plays well with othersStDo plays well with othersStDo plays well with othersStDo plays well with othersStDo plays well with othersStDo plays well with othersStDo plays well with othersStDo plays well with othersStDo plays well with othersStDo plays well with others

Device: [PRS-500], PB360
Kovid Goyal - programmer of libprs500 - is doing a great job. Open a new ticket with your error msg at Kovids libprs500 homepage.

libprs500 is working fine with 10.4.11. I tested only a few things of libprs500 with 10.5.1 - without problems.
StDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 05:50 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaatu View Post
I would like to buy some more content from places like fictionwise.com, but am unsure about which format to buy and what is the best way to convert that content so I can read it on my Reader. I know my options are limited since I'm using Mac OS X, but I just need one tool.
You need to buy Fictionwise' "Multiformat" books and download the "LRF" format; that's the Sony Reader.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2007, 10:16 AM   #6
Klaatu

Quote:
Originally Posted by StDo View Post
Kovid Goyal - programmer of libprs500 - is doing a great job. Open a new ticket with your error msg at Kovids libprs500 homepage.

libprs500 is working fine with 10.4.11. I tested only a few things of libprs500 with 10.5.1 - without problems.
This is a good app. I was poking around his site yesterday and missed the new ticket link. Thanks for pointing that out. I've opened a ticket.

Regards,
Michael
Old 12-09-2007, 10:20 AM   #7
Klaatu

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You need to buy Fictionwise' "Multiformat" books and download the "LRF" format; that's the Sony Reader.
Thanks. I found the "multiformat" books yesterday and bought an issue of Analog magazine. Now if they will just get more new releases and popular volumes in formats I can read I'll really be sitting pretty. I'd really like to have e-copies of Isaac Asimov's Foundation novels on my vacation. Alas, no such enjoyment for me. heh.

Regards,
Michael
Old 12-12-2007, 05:40 PM   #8
canicula
Enthusiast
canicula doesn't littercanicula doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, MacBook Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaatu View Post
I'd really like to have e-copies of Isaac Asimov's Foundation novels on my vacation. Alas, no such enjoyment for me.
They are available on the Sony Connect Store. If you have an Intel Mac get Parallels or VMware Fusion and run the Connect software for Windows in a VM. It works fine for buying and downloading books to the reader.

I've also used it to apply updates to the Reader firmware, although others have had issues doing this.

Ian
canicula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 07:13 PM   #9
WookieReader
WookieReader began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Iliad 2nd Ed/iPhone
Mac Parallels

I've just gotten one and use it on Mac Parallels running Windows XP and no problem at all. Seamless sync, library usage, book purchase, and just loaded pdfldf and conversion is super on pdf's.
WookieReader is offline   Reply With Quote