Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-04-2007, 07:52 PM   #1
DoctorBri
DoctorBri began at the beginning.

Device: Treo 680, Sony Reader
ESV bible concept - footnote & hack ideas

I've been trying my reader out as a bible, and there are obvious limitations with that. With a little work I think this idea would work very well, but I need some help. There are 2 main problems:

1) Footnotes - I've attached both a .doc & .pdf of Romans 1 & 2 (I read the ESV copyright laws and I don't think I'm violating them, if I am the files can certainly be removed). It's easier to see than explain, but here's the short version. Using Logos Libronix software I copied Romans 1 & 2 to Word. All is great, footnotes show up, but the problem is that Word only allows 1 footnote per line. In normal bibles they are separated by some spaces. This results in a lot of wasted space at the bottom of each page. I'm wondering if there's any way around this. Google gave me nothing. I also tried WordPerfect and even a trial of Adobe FrameMaker (too complicated).

2) Direct Page Control modification - convert books into numbers (Gen = 01, Ex = 02... Rev = 66), and you're all set. Entering 45 ("Goto page: 45") would display "Romans" and then enter chapter & verse. I took a look at the Direct Page Control hack source code with HackBuilder, but couldn't figure it out (I don't know programming language, unfortunately). I think this would be an easy solution (although tedious to program as well as learn). If someone could get me started, I could fill in the rest.

Any thoughts? The PDF is ready to load onto your reader, and is remarkably easy to read without any modification/'Rasta'-fication.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Romans 1 & 2.jpg
Views:	577
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	7580  
Attached Files
File Type: doc Romans 1 & 2.doc (60.0 KB, 398 views)
File Type: pdf Romans 1 & 2.pdf (57.4 KB, 475 views)

Last edited by DoctorBri; 12-04-2007 at 07:55 PM. Reason: image was waaaaay to big
DoctorBri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 09:57 AM   #2
DoctorBri

I see some people have downloaded the pdf. Is it clear enough? If ESV is ok with it, I would consider putting together the whole bible and releasing it with or without the footnote problem solved. The hack would be required, however, otherwise it'd be too hard to navigate. Is there any interest? Let me know your thoughts even if you can't offer any solutions to the problems.
Advert
Old 12-05-2007, 12:23 PM   #3
ctennenh
ctennenh began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
I think it's clear, and I wouldn't worry about the footnotes taking up too much space. Lots of bibles only use half the page for actual scripture, with the other half reserved for notes.
I'd prefer something with hotlinked footnotes, or definitions, but that would be tons of work, I'm sure.
Right now I'm using the great KJV in the book repository, with books in the TOC and the direct page control hack. It works fine, but I'm not fast enough to keep up on Sunday mornings
ctennenh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 04:53 PM   #4
DoctorBri

ctennenh, I put it in the format you talked about. What I thought about doing is making a separate footnotes page for each page of the bible, making it so that you only navigate to one page for all the footnotes for each particular page. I'll have to look into this.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Romans 1 & 2 + links.pdf (166.8 KB, 462 views)
Old 12-05-2007, 07:47 PM   #5
ctennenh
ctennenh began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
That looks nice. I can't put it on my reader just now, but I'm sure it looks great. You're thinking of making each note a link to the page of footnotes? That sounds like a great idea.
ctennenh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2007, 03:06 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorBri View Post
I see some people have downloaded the pdf. Is it clear enough? If ESV is ok with it, I would consider putting together the whole bible and releasing it with or without the footnote problem solved.
I just can't see them allowing it. This is a copyrighted, commercial book. Why not use an out-of-copyright version instead?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 11:20 PM   #7
DoctorBri

Well, they did allow the ESV to be distributed in OneNote format, IIRC. My main concern is about the hack, and that can be modified for the KJV as well. Also, I'm considering contacting them to ask if they'll make a Sony version since they just put out a Kindle version.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:45 PM   #8
kwjones
Groupie
kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony PRS-505; Motorola Droid
I would love to have an ESV (Reformation Study Bible) or NASB translation on my Sony Reader!

DOH! I didn't look at the date on the thread. Sorry to bump a 2 year old thread.

Last edited by kwjones; 03-04-2009 at 01:53 PM.
kwjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 02:36 AM   #9
drew00149
Connoisseur
drew00149 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505, iRex iLiad, HTC Kaiser
LOL on the bump.

I wish they would release an ESV on the Sony Store since they give it away for free on the kindle. It would be interesting to see how reading from it went - not sure I would like it.

Do you think you would really use a study bible on your reader? I think that would be crazy cumbersome...

high five on the reformation though.

Last edited by drew00149; 03-09-2009 at 02:42 AM.
drew00149 is offline   Reply With Quote