Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-03-2007, 10:35 AM   #1
McDoof
McDoof is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Portable libprs500?

I use multiple computers daily and have a large collection of "portable apps" for my USB hard drive.

Some of them are designed to be portable while others (portable Skype, for example) have been tweaked so they can be installed on a USB stick.

Anyway, I'd love to have libprs500 in a portable format, but I am no programmer. Any ideas?

PS - I looked for a more suitable place to pose this question, but I didn't find a forum dedicated to libprs500...

McDoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 11:31 AM   #2
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
I'm pretty sure libprs500 will work if copied to another place/PC. It doesn't really need installer. However, if you want to use it to copy books to the Reader, you'll have to install the USB driver, and that one can't really be made "portable".
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2007, 12:15 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Basically, you need to add the installation directory of libprs500 to the PATH environment variable, and then it should work if copied over, apart from the USB driver. If you want the USB driver to work, best to use linux or OS X :-)
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 02:47 PM   #4
McDoof
McDoof is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Excellent

Thanks for the lightning-fast responses!

I'll try your tips out.

And I'm working switching to Linux, but Windows (despite its obvious problems) is more convenient and besides that I am hooked on Call of Duty.

And if I'm not mistaken, Kovid, I guess you're the guy to thank for the brilliant program (unless there's another Kovid Goyal who knows all about this stuff).
Thanks a million!

Last edited by McDoof; 12-03-2007 at 02:50 PM.
McDoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 02:57 PM   #5
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Hmmm here's an idea!

doesnt the 505 act as a USB drive if you plug it in?

so you could have Libprs on the SD card with the library1 file as well, then if your on hols and go to an internet cafe or to work to download a book you could put the book into libprs convert to lrf all from your SDcard and then move into the 'main' 505 memory for reading..

cool.

Actually what would be cool is if in LibPRS you could choose where the library file is kept. then this would be dead simple I bellieve.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2007, 02:58 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You can play call of duty in linux (if your hardware is powerful enough)

http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?iVersionId=3603

And yes, I'm the right Kovid ;-)
Old 12-03-2007, 02:59 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Yeah that reminds me, you'd also have to copy the library1.db file into its usual location to have access to the books.