Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-02-2007, 11:41 AM   #1
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Effect of Kindle on Sony's Content Offerings

Below is a plot of the total number of titles available from Sony's Connect store. At the time of the release of the PRS-505, Sony increased the rate of new offerings to reach their advertised figure of 20,000. Since then they have been adding roughly 500 new titles per week. Most of the new ebooks Sony has added this fall are in the categories of history, business, science and nature, and education and reference. Their total today is 25,218 but that includes a small number of ebooks that are listed in multiple categories on their website. If anyone was looking for a big jump in content as a result of the Kindle release, it hasn't happened yet although I suppose one could reasonably argue that the increase in September was a result of that. Please wake me up when something happens.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SonyTitlesDec2-2007b.JPG
Views:	1160
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	7533  
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 12:47 PM   #2
edsohsmith
Connoisseur
edsohsmith began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505 (soon)
Just for fun, I tried searching for Moby Dick on Amazon and Connect. Amazon sells 5 versions of the book, while Connect sells two. Each has one $1.99 version. For "A tale of two cities" Amazon has 11 versions of the book. Connect, 2. I am not sure what this means, but I thought it was interesting.
edsohsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2007, 12:53 PM   #3
CTH
Zealot
CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well amazon sells paperbacks and so on, so they should have more than sony
CTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 01:14 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
How does one find out how many ebooks are being sold at the Connect Store?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 01:21 PM   #5
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
How does one find out how many ebooks are being sold at the Connect Store?
Click on Categories and select one (e.g., Biography). Leave the "Search Within" blank and click on Search. It will return with "Showing 1 - 25 of 1079". Repeat for each category and sum. This takes a few minutes and slightly overstates the total number of books they sell but there aren't very many books that are listed in multiple categories.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2007, 02:31 PM   #6
edsohsmith
Connoisseur

Quote:
Well amazon sells paperbacks and so on, so they should have more than sony
I see your smiley, but you are right, I should have included that all the editions I listed are Kindle ebooks!
Old 12-02-2007, 03:08 PM   #7
kezza
Lowlife of the Party
kezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook, iphone
Every once in a while I go to the Connect store and just search for "the." I haven't been keeping track of the results, but now I'll start. Today there are 24,605. I'll check back on tuesday, after the new titles get added.
As for the duplicates at Amazon, I can't really see the usefulness of multiple editions of public domain works, except in the case of multiple translations of those works. I wonder how inflated the Amazon catalog is by multiple copies of the same title by different publishers.
kezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 03:38 PM   #8
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
sorry but 11 versions of Moby Dick... Why?
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 05:36 AM   #9
edsohsmith
Connoisseur

Quote:
sorry but 11 versions of Moby Dick... Why?
No, no. Only 5 kindle versions of Moby Dick. 11 Kindle versions of "A Tale of Two Cities". Seems that the 80,000 Kindle titles may be a bit inflated with multiple versions of the same book, with numberous technical manuals and short works. Unfortunately Sony's 20,000 titles are likely a bit inflated as well.
Old 12-03-2007, 06:47 AM   #10
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
oh ok but still... why 11 versions of anything?
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 10:07 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
oh ok but still... why 11 versions of anything?
Sony and Amazon are just "store fronts", selling books from many different publishers. Obviously many different publishers sell versions of the classics, hence the multiple versions.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 10:07 AM   #12
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Sony and Amazon are just "store fronts", selling books from many different publishers. Obviously many different publishers sell versions of the classics, hence the multiple versions.
A different version means a different editing job and hence a separate copyright on the public domain original. Just a ploy to charge more money for something which can be had for free from Project Gutenberg! (I think -- I haven't actually searched PG to see if they have Moby Dick.)
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 10:19 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhbailey View Post
A different version means a different editing job and hence a separate copyright on the public domain original. Just a ploy to charge more money for something which can be had for free from Project Gutenberg! (I think -- I haven't actually searched PG to see if they have Moby Dick.)
They do, but it takes time to convert a PG original into something that looks nice to read; perhaps for some people, spending a few $ to let someone else do the work is money well spent.

11 different eBooks versions is nothing; "amazon.co.uk" are currently listing 529 hits in printed books for "Moby Dick".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 10:31 AM   #14
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
11 different eBooks versions is nothing; "amazon.co.uk" are currently listing 529 hits in printed books for "Moby Dick".
Well. I am surprised, but I believe it means that 80K+ of ebooks for kindle is largely overblown number then.

Today, I failed to find yet another fantasy series (on Kindle and Sony sites) - The Crown of Stars by Kate Elliott.

Anyone know ebook shop that has them?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 12:02 PM   #15
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra_lestat View Post
Today, I failed to find yet another fantasy series (on Kindle and Sony sites) - The Crown of Stars by Kate Elliott.

Anyone know ebook shop that has them?
AFAIK Elliot's books, like much of the DAW catalog is not available in ebook form. It's a shame since Penguin could make a bunch of dough I'd think (Fantasy & SciFi seem popular with a lot of ebook readers).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
duck!, duppy?, puppy!