View Full Version : The Runes of the Earth by Stephen R. Donaldson

JSWolf
11-30-2007, 08:03 PM
Has anyone purchased The Runes of the Earth by Stephen R. Donaldson in Mobipocket format? I am curious as to the size of the two maps at the beginning. In the MS Reader version, the maps are about the ful size of my 505 screen and quite readable. Are they small and not so readable in the Mobipocket edition?

TallMomof2
12-03-2007, 11:28 AM
I have The Runes of the Earth in eReader format and the maps are draggable.

However, I have Fatal Revenant in Secure MobiPocket and the map is split into 2 sections, 1 section per page. They are readable, barely, on my TX. The graphic fills the screen.

DaleDe
12-03-2007, 06:24 PM
I have The Runes of the Earth in eReader format and the maps are draggable.

However, I have Fatal Revenant in Secure MobiPocket and the map is split into 2 sections, 1 section per page. They are readable, barely, on my TX. The graphic fills the screen.

That is because MobiPocket Readers do not support dragging of images on the screen. Since the Readers do not support this it is not available in the format.

Dale

Vesper
12-03-2007, 06:56 PM
That is because MobiPocket Readers do not support dragging of images on the screen. Since the Readers do not support this it is not available in the format.

On TX when I tap on the image it gets enlarged and if it's bigger then screen I drag it around my stylus to view it :shrug:

DaleDe
12-03-2007, 07:17 PM
On TX when I tap on the image it gets enlarged and if it's bigger then screen I drag it around my stylus to view it :shrug:

Really, I guess I have download a recent version of MobiPocket Reader for a Palm. I know eReader does this but I never knew MobiPocket did. I will have to download a new copy for my Garmin unit.

I wonder why the original guy was complaining about this exact thing on his palm?

Dale

HarryT
12-04-2007, 03:23 AM
Really, I guess I have download a recent version of MobiPocket Reader for a Palm. I know eReader does this but I never knew MobiPocket did. I will have to download a new copy for my Garmin unit.

Yes, on the Palm, Pocket PC, and desktop versions of Mobi just tap on any image. You can then zoom in and out on it, scroll around it, etc. Can't currently be done on the iLiad or Gen3 versions of Mobi, unfortunately. Hopefully it's a feature which will be added in the future.

JSWolf
12-04-2007, 06:44 AM
Some images start off so small that zooming in makes then fuzzy and hard to view. Why not start off with larger images and have the reader resize to fit the screen and then zoom in from there if need be?

In the LIT edition, the first map is 520x733 and the second map is 512x722. Quite easily readable on my 505.

DaleDe
12-04-2007, 12:20 PM
Yes, on the Palm, Pocket PC, and desktop versions of Mobi just tap on any image. You can then zoom in and out on it, scroll around it, etc. Can't currently be done on the iLiad or Gen3 versions of Mobi, unfortunately. Hopefully it's a feature which will be added in the future.

Ha, never noticed that. Guess I am going to have to read the manual better. Clicking the image didn't work for me but if I right click and bring up a menu and then select image mode which displays the image on a new screen. Then I can zoom and pan. I am not sure why clicking didn't work. Microsoft Reader has a similar feature but then they start with a larger image so it looks better.

Dale

HarryT
12-04-2007, 12:22 PM
Sorry, yes, you right click and select "Image Mode" on the Windows Desktop version. On the Pocket PC version you just tap the image. I've not used the Palm version, but I'd guess that works the same as the Pocket PC.

tompe
12-04-2007, 06:06 PM
Some images start off so small that zooming in makes then fuzzy and hard to view. Why not start off with larger images and have the reader resize to fit the screen and then zoom in from there if need be?

In the LIT edition, the first map is 520x733 and the second map is 512x722. Quite easily readable on my 505.

As you know you will get these image sizes if you build the mobi file using "mobigen -jpeg" (or using lit2mobi). So if the version you have has smaller images you have to ask the person responsible for the file for the reason.

DaleDe
12-04-2007, 06:37 PM
As you know you will get these image sizes if you build the mobi file using "mobigen -jpeg" (or using lit2mobi). So if the version you have has smaller images you have to ask the person responsible for the file for the reason.

The reason is quite simple. The user used MobiPocket Creator and used href src statements to specify the images and probably used GIF images that were greater than 64K. Both of these things will cause small images. The 64K limit is also on the eReader program which uses PNG files. Both GIF can PNG can usually be made smaller if you work at it and using JPEG makes the making smaller part very easy. Referencing hisrc for the file in addition to src will likely fix the rest of the problem. mobiCreater cannot directly use PNG but can import it.

Dale

tompe
12-05-2007, 05:39 PM
Has somebody told the people creating these books that there method is bad? If they have a good lit file then the obvious method should be to use convertlit and mobigen to avoid these problems.