Notices

Old 11-30-2007, 12:46 PM   #1
Starfish
Connoisseur
Starfish doesn't litterStarfish doesn't litterStarfish doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
SD Memory Card Question and another one, too

Hi,

I'm new to this forum. After spending several weeks researching and after reading all about Kindle, I ordered the Sony Reader PRS-505. It hasn't arrived yet, but I can't wait. I've already downloaded 75 books.

Here's my question, and pardon me if it's answered elsewhere, but I can't find it if it is: How much memory on an SD card can the Sony 505 address? If I put in a 1 GB card, can it use it? I have a 32MB card that I can use, but that seems too small to be of much use, so I was thinking of getting a larger one.

Also, can the reader use any SD card regardless of manufacturer.

Another
Starfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 12:49 PM   #2
Starfish
Connoisseur

sorry...I pressed the wrong button...

My other question is, do the collections that you make on the ebook library show up grouped that way on the Sony 505? And...is there any way to alphabetize them?

Thanks.

Starfish
Advert
Old 11-30-2007, 01:07 PM   #3
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Welcome to MobileRead, Starfish!

The 505 can handle up to a 2 GB SD card and an 8 GB memory stick (both at the same time, if you like). The difference in manufacturers mostly shows up in how much drain they put on the battery.

As for your collections, if you move them onto the Reader or memory card by dragging the collection over, then the books will show up in whatever order you have them in in the collection.

You can change the order of books in a collection by dragging them around within it. I believe the initial order is defined by the order the books are placed in the collection, so if you add them to the collection from the main listing by starting at the top and working down, they'll be in alpha order when you're done. Aside from that, I think you're left with hand sorting them within the collection.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 01:35 PM   #4
Starfish
Connoisseur

Thanks, NatCh.

How about the collections themselves? Can they be alphabetized? I can't seem to find a way to alphabetize the collections in the ebook PC software. I tried dragging them, but that didn't work. It sure would make things easier to alphabetize them.

Starfish
Old 11-30-2007, 01:44 PM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ach. Yeah that. Nearly as I can tell, they appear in the (chronological) order in which they were created or added to the Reader.

The only way I've found to re-order them is to move them all to the PC side of the Library software, remove them from the Reader, and re-add them in the order you want them to appear. You'll have to decide if it's worth the trouble to you.

I've settled on only keeping very few collections on my Reader (3 at the moment) and only adding books to it that I intend to read soon, as I would a reading shelf. I remove them as I finish them so there're rarely more than a score or so on it at any given time. It's what I call an "Ideal Situation" -- that's the situation and I deal. It works well enough for what I need to do.
Advert
Old 11-30-2007, 02:34 PM   #6
Starfish
Connoisseur

Thanks, NatCh. I'll have to think on that one a bit. If you delete and add back in alphabetical order, then you're still messed up if you want later add a new category.

It's really a shame that the software can't do a simple thing like alphabetize. sigh.

Starfish
Old 11-30-2007, 02:53 PM   #7
NatCh
Gizmologist

Yeah, the software is still a bit ... lacking in features. Believe it or not, it's worlds better than it was a year ago!
Old 12-01-2007, 09:02 AM   #8
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
The difference in manufacturers mostly shows up in how much drain they put on the battery.
Which one would you recommend?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 01:16 AM   #9
NatCh
Gizmologist

I usually go with SanDisk or Lexar (ATP for the digi-cam, but that's special), but most of the ones you've actually heard of are usually good enough -- you know: avoid "Joe-Bob's Chips-N-Stuff."
Old 12-02-2007, 09:40 AM   #10
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

OK. Thanks. I know both of them. I have 2x2G SanDisk CF for my digi camera.
Old 12-04-2007, 11:48 AM   #11
astra
The Introvert

Will this one fit to PRS-500?
SanDisk-Standard-SD-Card-1GB
Old 12-04-2007, 12:06 PM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Yes, that's fine.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 09:00 PM   #13
urseus
urseus began at the beginning.

Device: Reader
Is there any particular type that is better for the 505?

Wouldnt it be better to buy the 8 gig card rather than the small 2 gig?

Im thinking about using the card just for my music really. Are there any issues with having your music on the card? Any slowdowns etc.
urseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 09:30 PM   #14
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
The 8 GB is only for the Sony style Memory Stick, not the SD card.

As for slowness, I know that there was no problem with the 500 when using a San Disk 2 GB SD card fully loaded with mp3s.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 09:33 PM   #15
urseus
urseus began at the beginning.

Device: Reader
Are there any SD or memory sticks that dont work with the reader?

Just on music, can you put mp3s into any kind of playlists or folders, or is it pretty much just limited to playing in order. No randoms or anything crazy like that is there?
urseus is offline   Reply With Quote