Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-29-2007, 09:11 PM   #1
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Kindle publicity that's good for Sony, too

This comes from the Rising-Tide-Raises-All-Boats department.

A side-by-side review in USA Today titled "E-book Readersby Sony, Amazon have their charms" actually does a nice job of pointing out the pluses and minuses of both units. In general, it puts the whole e-book industry in front of a bunch more eyeballs.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 04:26 AM   #2
Jorgen
Connoisseur
Jorgen has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony prs-650, iPod, BEBOOK Mini, Nokia n810, iPaq
Very true. And the price and the look of the Kindle makes the Sony so much more attractive.
Jorgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2007, 10:47 AM   #3
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The best thing he said about either:

Quote:
It sounds like pulp fiction. But once you get used to reading James Patterson, Michael Lewis and other authors on a light paperback-size electronic reader, it's less odd than you think. You eventually forget how you're reading, and get engrossed in the writer's creation.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 11:03 AM   #4
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
The best thing he said about either:
I agree. I think that's why I'm likely to stick with my Sony rather than move to the Kindle. The Sony, once I'm reading, just disappears.

One of the reasons that I still write all of my first drafts by hand is that the tool shouldn't distract from the task. Since I'm in IT, a computer can't disappear for me, and the first draft is when I want the fewest distractions. Once I'm done, I key it in, but I still print it to do proofs, edits, and revisions.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 07:38 PM   #5
Red Alert
Zealot
Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor & Nook Tablet. Sony PRS-505 loaned to brother.
One thing that happened immediately for Sony Readers' was the immediate drop in prices on many books on their site upon the announcement of the Kindle and it's prices.

I hope this is a general price reduction and not just a Seasonal Holiday "Sale."

Red
Red Alert is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2007, 12:02 PM   #6
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkchapman View Post
One of the reasons that I still write all of my first drafts by hand is that the tool shouldn't distract from the task. Since I'm in IT, a computer can't disappear for me, and the first draft is when I want the fewest distractions. Once I'm done, I key it in, but I still print it to do proofs, edits, and revisions.
Exactly the opposite for me: It's much easier to type than write, not to mention easier for editing. I just start on a keyboard and finish it that way.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 06:30 PM   #7
Detour
Lurker
Detour has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony Reader PRS 500/505 (blue) / iPhone / Kindle (gave away)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Alert View Post
One thing that happened immediately for Sony Readers' was the immediate drop in prices on many books on their site upon the announcement of the Kindle and it's prices.

I hope this is a general price reduction and not just a Seasonal Holiday "Sale."

Red
I don't think it's going to be just seasonal. Prices on ebooks dropped everywhere, not just at the Sony store. With the new lower prices everywhere I don't think anyone will want to be the one to raise prices again, unless there's a very good reason to expect their customers will be loyal in spite of higher prices. I suppose DRM might do that.
Detour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 07:46 PM   #8
Nomadin
Nomadin began at the beginning.

Device: EZReader Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorgen View Post
Very true. And the price and the look of the Kindle makes the Sony so much more attractive.
I was one of the Kindle pre-orders, but I got cold feet when I noted that the Sony was about $150 cheaper! I changed my order and so far I am happy with the PRS-505. I think that the online ordering on the Kindle would be nice, but the temptation might be too great.

This is my first eBook reader since my Palm Pilot days (not a fantastic reader) so I am really enjoying it.
Nomadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 11:20 AM   #9
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Welcome to MobileRead, Nomadin! I'm glad you found a device that fits your needs and that you're happy with.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote