View Full Version : Audible and Macintosh

kepstein
11-29-2007, 09:43 PM
Will I be able to move Audible files from my iTunes library to my Audible?
Audible does not support the Macintosh for use with the Kindle, so I am questioning how I can authorize my Kindle without Audible Manager (PC only).

Thanks,
Ken

wallcraft
11-30-2007, 12:20 AM
I have not tried it, but the User Guide says:

Audiobooks from Audible.com Kindle supports the thousands of audiobooks available through Audible.com. You can purchase and download one or more of these books through your Windows-based computer using AudibleManager software supplied by Audible or iTunes on your Macintosh. You can then transfer these books to your Kindle over USB or using an SD memory card, and listen to them on your Kindle.

A PDF version of the User's Guide is on Amazon's Kindle product page, in the Product Details section.

NatCh
11-30-2007, 12:50 AM
That makes it sound like iTunes will handle Audible books for you. If it doesn't for some reason, I can tell you from experience that Windows Media Player 11 will manage .AA files for you. Version 9 is available (http://www.microsoft.com/mac/otherproducts/otherproducts.aspx?pid=windowsmedia) for MacPuters, but I don't know if it supports Audible files directly or not. :shrug:

AnemicOak
11-30-2007, 01:00 AM
iTunes will handle Audible files, but for the Kindle to work it needs to be authorized using Audible Manager, which is Windows only (this is from the Audible Kindle User Guide). Once it's authorized you can manage files using a Mac.

NatCh
11-30-2007, 12:17 PM
Hmm, So I guess your only options are to use parallels (or one of the other approaches) to run windows to authorize it, or borrow a PC from someone for a while .... :sad:

AnemicOak
11-30-2007, 03:15 PM
Hmm, So I guess your only options are to use parallels (or one of the other approaches) to run windows to authorize it, or borrow a PC from someone for a while .... :sad:

Yep, sounds like it. It only takes a few minutes to download the software & authorize a device so if you have a friend with a PC I guess that'd be a route to go. I don't know if any of those places you can rent a PC by the hour, or whatever, will allow any software to be installed on their machines or not.

NatCh
11-30-2007, 03:52 PM
I'm not sure I'd want to authorize anything at an internet café -- strikes me as way too exposed. :shrug:

AnemicOak
11-30-2007, 04:49 PM
I'm not sure I'd want to authorize anything at an internet café -- strikes me as way too exposed. :shrug:

I don't know, I've never seen/been to/used one. It was just a thought.

NatCh
11-30-2007, 05:22 PM
Nor have I, that's just my concern. :shrug: