View Full Version : PDF conversion way better than Sony

jmdor
11-29-2007, 01:20 PM
I took a pdf file of our HOA covenants, no conversion or optimization whatsoever, and emailed it to my kindle account. Text has reflowed perfectly into the kindle format, retaining bold formatting and paragraph marks. Amazingly better than our best attempt to solve this with the Sony Reader. That alone makes the kindle my replacement. :crowngrin

NatCh
11-29-2007, 01:23 PM
Wow, and it didn't cost you a dime! Oh, wait, that's exactly what it cost you! :grin:

Sorry, couldn't resist. I'll go back to my corner and snicker to myself quietly for a while. :mad:

DaleDe
11-29-2007, 01:34 PM
I took a pdf file of our HOA covenants, no conversion or optimization whatsoever, and emailed it to my kindle account. Text has reflowed perfectly into the kindle format, retaining bold formatting and paragraph marks. Amazingly better than our best attempt to solve this with the Sony Reader. That alone makes the kindle my replacement. :crowngrin

Try the same file using MobiPocket Reader for the PC and see how it converts the file. I suspect it will be the same.

Dale

wallcraft
11-29-2007, 01:51 PM
Wow, and it didn't cost you a dime! Oh, wait, that's exactly what it cost you! Conversion is free. The dime is the charge for sending it via Sprint to the Kindle, and this is optional.

NatCh
11-29-2007, 02:19 PM
I stand csensativityorrected: it may not have cost him her a dime. :jester:

jmdor
11-29-2007, 02:26 PM
It cost her a dime because my usb conection wasn't handy, but I could have done it for free.

NatCh
11-29-2007, 02:29 PM
It cost her a dime because my usb conection wasn't handy, but I could have done it for free.Oops, my bad. I'll add you to my mental list of Female MobileReaders. :nice:

MMascaro
11-29-2007, 02:34 PM
Natch, with Texas being so big, how long until you can reach a corner :-)

NatCh
11-29-2007, 02:37 PM
Natch, with Texas being so big, how long until you can reach a corner :-)Well, my little chunk of Texas, here at the Republic's Embassy In Jackson, TN is relatively small, and my office smaller yet, so I'm about 4 feet away from the nearest corner. :grin: I'm also about 5 hours away from the nearest point on the Texas Border itself. :wink:

MMascaro
11-29-2007, 02:44 PM
I spent 5 years in the Republics inner fortress at Ft Hood. Still have about 30 or so friends there.

NatCh
11-29-2007, 03:19 PM
Ah, yes, Ft. Hood. My Scout troop camped there years ago, I have fond memories of climbing all over tanks. :grin:

I have a few friends from the Killeen area myself. :nice:

imaredr
11-29-2007, 04:51 PM
I am still here in the Killeen area. Ft Hood was my last duty station and sfter I retired I was tired of moving. Too bad you all left. We could have had a meet up.

Ellen

NatCh
11-29-2007, 05:57 PM
I was in Austin for a few years at the turn of the millennium, a meet up might have been a good possibility. :shrug:

bwit
11-29-2007, 08:49 PM
I am still here in the Killeen area. Ft Hood was my last duty station and sfter I retired I was tired of moving. Too bad you all left. We could have had a meet up.

I spent a year at Fort Hood in the 70's. Live in Dallas area now.

Bob

janiebegood
11-30-2007, 10:05 AM
I'm sure there's some really simple step I'm missing WRT reading PDF conversions, so I hope someone can help me out!

I sent a PDF file to Amazon through my free.kindle.com address and got the converted .azw file back. I dl'ed it to my computer, to a file folder where I'm collecting things to put on the Kindle when it arrives (Dec. 20! I hope!).

[Thanks to HarryT and Slayda, I downloaded MobiPocket Reader and Creator and have been successfully converting Word and .txt files to .prc files.]

My question is this: How do I open that converted PDF file in MobiReader? Do I need to rename it and save it as a .prc file? How do I do that? I can't tell if the conversion worked because I can't open the file.

I've tried importing through the Reader interface. I've tried using Windows Explorer to pull it to an SD card and then open it. Nothing works.

Help?

NatCh
11-30-2007, 12:35 PM
If they didn't slap DRM on it, you should be able to change the file extension to .prc and the mobi reader would read it fine -- if I understand how it works correctly, that is.

However, it sounds like they slapped their proprietary DRM on it, which would mean that it can only be read on your not-yet-arrived Kindle.

That's a big deal if they're putting DRM on stuff you send to them for conversion. I know you have the original file so you still have access, but I can't see any sane justification for DRMing the files sent to them for conversion! :no:

Nate the great
11-30-2007, 12:46 PM
Well, my little chunk of Texas, here at the Republic's Embassy In Jackson, TN is relatively small, and my office smaller yet, so I'm about 4 feet away from the nearest corner. :grin: I'm also about 5 hours away from the nearest point on the Texas Border itself. :wink:

I don't see how it could be an embassy. I thought embassies generally had an ambassador in residence. Wouldn't "consulate" be more accurate?

janiebegood
11-30-2007, 01:17 PM
If they didn't slap DRM on it, you should be able to change the file extension to .prc and the mobi reader would read it fine -- if I understand how it works correctly, that is.

However, it sounds like they slapped their proprietary DRM on it, which would mean that it can only be read on your not-yet-arrived Kindle.

That's a big deal if they're putting DRM on stuff you send to them for conversion. I know you have the original file so you still have access, but I can't see any sane justification for DRMing the files sent to them for conversion! :no:

NatCh, I don't think they DRMed it; I think I'm stoooopid and can't figure out how to open the file in MobiReader. ;)

Either that, or I don't know how to change extensions properly.

The file has the filename.azw.prc after I "changed" it and I seriously doubt that's right.

crionox
11-30-2007, 01:31 PM
It should just be filename.prc, from what I've heard there is no DRM on files sent through the file-conversion process. Rename it that way and see if it works (I'd be interested to know for when my future Kindle comes).

David

wallcraft
11-30-2007, 01:33 PM
Rename the file filename.prc (I think this is right(?) click and select rename). You should then be able to double click on the file and MobiPocket Reader will open on the file. Its icon should be the MobiPocket one also. This might work without changing the name, or you can right click and select "open with" and find the MobiPocket Reader.

NatCh
11-30-2007, 01:52 PM
I don't see how it could be an embassy. I thought embassies generally had an ambassador in residence. Wouldn't "consulate" be more accurate?That's "Ambassador Gizmologist NatCh" to you! :grin:

It should just be filename.prc, from what I've heard there is no DRM on files sent through the file-conversion process.Do please let us know how it comes out I'd -- be really disturbed if they're adding DRM, and much rather know they weren't, even though I have no plans whatsoever to get a Kindle.

Also, If you do get the converted file open you might try converting the same PDF file with the Mobi converter and comparing the two to see how different they are. :nice:

janiebegood
11-30-2007, 02:57 PM
Well, this is interesting. I deleted all the current versions and re-downloaded the file. It comes in as a bunch of numbers as the filename, then the extensions .azw AND .prc, so it looks like this:

398497937.azw.prc

I found it in my folder, double-clicked, and it opened right up in MobiReader (which the previous versions had not). It even has the proper file name in the Reader. Oddly, though, the file name still says Filename.pdf, which I find very confusing.

*scratches head*

Anyway, NatCh, the file was NOT DRMed by Amazon, so you don't need to worry about that. :) The formatting's not gorgeous, but it's readable, and it's there, so I'm off to send a few more.

NatCh
11-30-2007, 03:07 PM
Anyway, NatCh, the file was NOT DRMed by Amazon, so you don't need to worry about that. :):yahoo: that's a relief!
The formatting's not gorgeous, but it's readable, and it's there, so I'm off to send a few more.Can you run a comparison to what converting the same file via the mobi converter would give you? :pleased:

janiebegood
11-30-2007, 03:50 PM
:yahoo: that's a relief!
Can you run a comparison to what converting the same file via the mobi converter would give you? :pleased:

Um, maybe? I've only been using the mobi creator for two days, and slayda had to walk me through the "build" step that wasn't an intuitive leap for me.

The only options I get for "Import from Existing File" are for HTML, Word or text documents -- how would I choose to convert a PDF? Or...how do I get the Creator to offer me PDF as an option for conversion?

NatCh
11-30-2007, 04:00 PM
Ehm. I dunno, I've never used Mobi myself ... perhaps slayda will reappear and enlighten us all? :pray:

DaleDe
12-01-2007, 03:19 PM
Um, maybe? I've only been using the mobi creator for two days, and slayda had to walk me through the "build" step that wasn't an intuitive leap for me.

The only options I get for "Import from Existing File" are for HTML, Word or text documents -- how would I choose to convert a PDF? Or...how do I get the Creator to offer me PDF as an option for conversion?

You don't need the CReator at all. The Windows MobiPocket Reader will convert the file just fine. Just drag it to the reader.

The reason you ended up with two extensions is that you have viewing extensions turned off in the File explorer I suspect. Bring up file explorer (any window) and select Tools > Folder Options. Select View and then uncheck hide extensions.

janiebegood
12-07-2007, 01:54 PM
You don't need the CReator at all. The Windows MobiPocket Reader will convert the file just fine. Just drag it to the reader.

The reason you ended up with two extensions is that you have viewing extensions turned off in the File explorer I suspect. Bring up file explorer (any window) and select Tools > Folder Options. Select View and then uncheck hide extensions.
Thanks, DaleDe! I was able to import the .pdf file and open it with no problem, and it "reads" exactly the same in .pdf as it did in the converted Kindle version, so I believe the Kindle conversion worked.

Still waiting on the Kindle - two weeks and counting!