View Full Version : PDF Conversion (WOW)

rflashman
11-27-2007, 01:30 PM
I just did a test taking a complex document and generating PDF files from it. The first copy was saved as a conventional PDF. The 2nd copy was saved as a BITMAP PDF (300 DPI). I sent them both into Amazon for conversion (@free.kindle.com).

The first one converted well enough, though the pictures were missing, it was fully readable and reformatted to the Kindle. So while I lost the document 'structure' and images, it was a pretty good readable PDF conversion.

The second bitmap copy converted into sideways 1/2 pages (sideways, cool) so that it could show the complete width of the page. It was resized, small, but FULLY readable. As a Sony Reader owner too I can tell you that this is one of the BEST Bitmap PDF -> eInk conversions I have ever seen. The quality is very good. It really is quite impressive.

From now on I think I'll convert most my PDF documents at bitmap PDF documents.

yvanleterrible
11-27-2007, 01:36 PM
Since you have a PRS, out of curiosity, have you tried saving a pdf as text and then convert the output txt with book designer?

wallcraft
11-27-2007, 01:49 PM
How does the conversion compare to that done by the Windows MobiPocket Reader? I assume the Kindle conversion software started from MobiPocket's code base, but has the advantage of running on a server (and of targeting a single screen size) and so it may have added capability.

rflashman
11-27-2007, 02:00 PM
Since you have a PRS, out of curiosity, have you tried saving a pdf as text and then convert the output txt with book designer?

That's more work that I ever want to do...

yvanleterrible
11-27-2007, 02:23 PM
That's more work that I ever want to do...Not that much, I just tried it. The hardest is learning how to use Book Designer. I just did a transformation from pdf to txt to Book Designer to a conversion in lrf. The whole thing took less than 5 mins. and is converted to settings easy on my senses.:2thumbsup

5 minutes is not long for a ten hour read. One book at a time.

Nate the great
11-27-2007, 02:27 PM
Does it convert the table of contents as well?