View Full Version : Dead Kindle

TallMomof2
11-27-2007, 08:44 AM
Woke up this a.m. after leaving my Kindle in sleep mode with the wireless on. The Kindle was completely powered down. Didn't think much of it, thought maybe the battery had run down. Plugged it and it wouldn't start up. So I did a hard reset. It seemed to work so I left it to charge while I did my morning routine.

Just came back and the Kindle is dead. Tried another reset and it didn't work. Screen blinked a few times and nada. I have to wait until 6 am PST to call customer support.

I'm trying to remain neutral but I've been fortunate enough to never have an expensive device die so soon.

hidari
11-27-2007, 09:20 AM
To your Dead KINDLE? I am intrigued...

Woke up this a.m. after leaving my Kindle in sleep mode with the wireless on. The Kindle was completely powered down. Didn't think much of it, thought maybe the battery had run down. Plugged it and it wouldn't start up. So I did a hard reset. It seemed to work so I left it to charge while I did my morning routine.

Just came back and the Kindle is dead. Tried another reset and it didn't work. Screen blinked a few times and nada. I have to wait until 6 am PST to call customer support.

I'm trying to remain neutral but I've been fortunate enough to never have an expensive device die so soon.

AnemicOak
11-27-2007, 09:30 AM

In my personal experience with most electronic items they either die in the first month or they don't die for years. For example, my first DVD player, a $600 item back in the early days (1998), died after four days. It's replacement still works today.

TallMomof2
11-27-2007, 09:44 AM
The only thing out of the ordinary is that the SD card installed in the Kindle stopped working yesterday afternoon. Removed it, installed it in my Palm to see if it was readable and the card is bad. The bad SD card made my Palm go into a soft reboot loop. Turned off the Palm and removed the card. Installed a different SD card in the Kindle, the one I received with my Palm and it worked fine. I'm sure it's possible that the SD card was faulty and f'ed up my Kindle. I've had weird PC problems due to a bad USB cable so just about anything's likely. That's why I didn't try to read the dead SD card with my PC and external card reader.

I called customer support and the rep took a very detailed history of the problem. I'm supposed to hear from engineering support within 24 hours. Ugggg. The customer rep was very polite (and so was I) and said that the problem should be resolved (either a new Kindle or a fix for this one) within the week.

rflashman
11-27-2007, 12:39 PM
Did you try the little RESET pinhole in the back?

hidari
11-27-2007, 01:58 PM
thanx for the update.. good luck with your Kindle...

Hope you will enjoy it.

TallMomof2
11-27-2007, 03:39 PM
I reset the Kindle several times using the pinhole. I did that before calling Amazon. The first time it came back for a very short time but died again. The second time the screen flickered a couple of times then nothing. The third, fourth, fifth, etc... nothing happened.

TallMomof2
11-28-2007, 08:38 AM
This morning I plugged the Kindle back into the charger and the little charge light lit up, an improvement over yesterday. Decided to let it charge completely before messing around with it. Came back about 30 minutes later and the Kindle was back up and working.

Amazon is going to download logs off my Kindle to see if they can figure out what happened.

I also ordered a spare battery yesterday because I was going to see if replacing this one would make a difference.

Nate the great
11-28-2007, 09:01 AM
This morning I plugged the Kindle back into the charger and the little charge light lit up, an improvement over yesterday. Decided to let it charge completely before messing around with it. Came back about 30 minutes later and the Kindle was back up and working.

Amazon is going to download logs off my Kindle to see if they can figure out what happened.

I also ordered a spare battery yesterday because I was going to see if replacing this one would make a difference.

If they leave anything behind, post it here.

CCDMan
11-28-2007, 10:29 AM
In my personal experience with most electronic items they either die in the first month or they don't die for years

That is for sure, When I equipped my home theater, I had both a Monster Power center die as well as a brand new JVC RS1 projector. Both were replaced and both have been fine since.

So far (2 days), my Kindle is fine.

TallMomof2
11-28-2007, 12:58 PM
I haven't replaced the SD card (I picked up a Toshiba 1GB yesterday) but that's next.

Alisa
11-28-2007, 01:07 PM
In my personal experience with most electronic items they either die in the first month or they don't die for years.

This is especially true in mobile devices. In an effort to make them smaller and smaller they actually end up stacking chips and doing other weird things on the board so you can end up with connections that are more prone to breakage. You get a lot more DOAs and nearly-DOA units (they work but somethings gotten too banged around so they fail quickly) from the abuse they take in transport with this type of product.

runciter
11-28-2007, 01:18 PM
Interesting. Maybe it was so low on juice it couldn't light up the charging light. I've seen that happen to some DAPs (iPod, Zune). Eagerly awaiting the updates :)

TallMomof2
11-28-2007, 05:27 PM
When the Kindle went down the battery was showing 50%. Amazon's downloaded the logs and they are supposed to let me know the results. Now I'm trying to troubleshoot the kid's computer. It's an older Dell with some updated cards.

Paul in Saudi
01-07-2008, 12:40 PM
(First Post, Be Gentle)

Mine just died. Let me try to replace the SD card then mess with it again. If that does not help, I shall start a new self-pitying thread.

JSWolf
01-07-2008, 12:44 PM
It's dead Jim!

rationalbiker
01-17-2008, 07:48 PM
I got my Kindle last night and it was "frozen" and unresponsive this morning after a night of charging. All manners of attempting to reset it were unsuccessful. While I did have the opportunity to use the Kindle it was awesome. Frankly though, I'm rather put out by the impending two week wait to get a replacement. Meanwhile the content I purchased (3 books) is useless and the 14 day trials will have just about run out.

Alisa
01-17-2008, 07:51 PM
Maybe if you point that out to Amazon's customer service, they'll give you another free trial when you get the replacement.

rationalbiker
01-17-2008, 09:46 PM
Maybe if you point that out to Amazon's customer service, they'll give you another free trial when you get the replacement.

I did when I spoke to him this morning. I will probably email them again about it as well.

If not for the dead issue, I was exceedingly happy with the Kindle. But after a long wait already, it's just frustrating to have such a small taste of Kindle goodness only to have it snatched right away from you again for another wait. :angry:

Alisa
01-17-2008, 10:31 PM
I'm sorry. The thought fills me with dread. I can't imagine losing it or having it break, at least not until they're back in stock again. I read a story the other day about some poor reporter that left theirs on a plane. I've been so paranoid about that when traveling. I'm always double-checking it's in my bag. I'm an addict.

TallMomof2
01-18-2008, 06:09 PM
I think the battery is a bit flaky. The last time I had problem with my Kindle I had to completely drain my battery and then recharge it. Last night we had a brownout. All of my electronic devices are hooked up to a UPS. The brownout bricked the UPS (it was fairly old and I was using it at max load) and also messed up my Kindle. I could not get the UPS to work, tried different cables, different computers and it wouldn't go into UPS mode. Had to hit reset to get the Kindle to come back up. I left it on overnight and the battery was drained this morning. I recharged the battery and all is good.

But I was pretty freaked for a few hours.

rationalbiker
01-18-2008, 06:37 PM
Alisa,

Amazon is going to send me a replacement. While they cannot restore the lost time of my trial subscriptions, they are giving me a "promo" credit of $30. Kudos to their customer support and maybe my Kindle downtime will be minimized.

rhbgames
05-20-2009, 12:45 AM
My Kindle died as well. We had it for 18 months, worked fine. Then, one day my wife discovered that she had let the battery run all the way down and the screen was frozen - the top 10% showing Jane Austen (I think), the rest blank. Fully charging the battery didn't work. Reset, power cycles. Nothing. I even bought a new charger and battery. No joy. Called Amazon, they did the same things above and then told me that it was out of warranty. The best they could do was offer me a refurb Kindle 1 for $180.

I ended up giving my Kindle2 to my wife. Perhaps that means I can buy the DX when it becomes available - as reading maps/diagrams on the Kindles is horribly lame.

Sigh...

I still have the Kindle1 if anyone has any ideas about how to revive it....

Thanks,
RB

JayScore
01-24-2011, 10:11 AM
Just offering this for information.

My K2 arrived yesterday. Tested it out Everything fine. Downloaded via cable 2 pdf manuals, and ten very small txt files. Also downloaded two freebies. Very happy. This morning I turned it on, and went online, no problem, but when I tried to open one of the pdf files, it told me it couldn't open it because features in the file were not available in the Kindle - despite me opening it several times the previous day. Then it refused to open any other file, simply displaying a blank page with just the title of one of the pdf files across the top. Turned it off and plugged in USB charger. Some time later, I gave up and plugged it into the mains. Eventually it showed green. Held the On slider down until the screen flickered. It began to reset. After a long time, it showed the first page of my Home, but refused to do anything else. So I did the slider bit again, walked away, and went did something other than stare at it with disappointment and fear. Returned after three quarters of an hour, and everything AOK - maybe it would have worked first reset if I'd waited a bit longer. It is a slooooow process.
I do have two questions, though. Does this portend doom and increased likelihood of failure down the road a bit? And should I let Amazon know of my problems as a warning for future contact, rather than just point them at this thread?

First impressions are good, but I immediately felt that I would like control of the screensaver.

Bob.

abookreader
01-24-2011, 10:20 AM
????

This thread is from 2007.
As far as the K2, I'm guessing you bought it as a refurb from Amazon as that model isn't sold new anymore? I'm not sure how exactly you received it on a Sunday but okay.

I don't think your symptoms are a prediction of anything as it doesn't seem like you allowed it to fully charge before you started using it. I would say let it charge up to a full battery and then do a reset/reboot and see how it goes.

kindlekitten
01-24-2011, 10:23 AM
welcome to the forums Jay! first of all, you have revived an almost 2 year old thread concerning a different device altogether. it sounds like you have self diagnosed correctly and you did not wait long enough the first time around. if, for any reason you do end up contacting Amazon, I think you will find them extremely cooperative and easy to work with

JayScore
01-26-2011, 02:46 PM
kindlekitten, Thank you for the welcome. Can I say that a useful thread should never be closed. This was the thread that appeared high up on google when I searched, so it should be maintained.

abookreader. No, I received this NEW device Sunday 23rd January 2011.

2nd paragraph. Read my introduction. "Offering this for information". Clearly, I had made that discovery myself, hence the post, for information, see. Please look up "condescension" in any good dictionary.

abookreader
01-26-2011, 02:57 PM
Clearly, I had made that discovery myself, hence the post, for information, see. Please look up "condescension" in any good dictionary.

Any recommendations? :p Sunday delivery wonders aside - where did you purchase a new Kindle 2 from?

And most importantly, is it working now? and welcome to MobileRead.

montalex
01-26-2011, 04:11 PM
One thing to be aware of when you get a replacement Kindle, is that copying all of your old books to the new Kindle can cause problems, because each book must be indexed for the search function. It is as though the Kindle must read each book. So, it is better not to dump 300 books at a time on your Kindle, or, alternatively, to leave the Kindle on charge overnight while the indexing is happening. There is a thread somewhere on Mobileread about it. I just went through this, and indexing got stuck, so I had to delete the problem book and reload it. If you type some nonsense like "nwzy" in the search window, and hit search, you'll see if there are books still indexing. While your Kindle is indexing, certain functions, like the browser, can be really wonky. Be patient.

chyron8472
01-26-2011, 04:48 PM
My mother called Amazon after her Kindle2 was having problems, and Amazon next-day shipped her a new one.

I called Amazon after my wife's Kindle 2 had an issue with the device's plastic shell wherein if you put pressure on one spot, it made a popping noise when you let go. Amazon also next-day mailed a new one to us.

Neither my parents nor myself have Amazon Prime or anything, so this is all on Amazon for just being plain awesome.

whitearrow
01-26-2011, 06:36 PM
kindlekitten, Thank you for the welcome. Can I say that a useful thread should never be closed. This was the thread that appeared high up on google when I searched, so it should be maintained.

No, it really shouldn't... it's confusing. The initial thread was about a Kindle 1. Your concern is about a Kindle 2, which does not have a replaceable battery or a pinhole reset in the back.

There are good reasons to start a new thread rather than revive a 3 year old one.

JayScore
02-03-2011, 03:46 PM
whitearrow. No, it really shouldn't... it's confusing. The initial thread was about a Kindle 1. Your concern is about a Kindle 2, which does not have a replaceable battery or a pinhole reset in the back.

Your opinion, definitely not mine. I have searched for information endlessly on the web, and found posts and threads years old. AND, massively importantly, those threads that were maintained open contained posts that were years apart but which finally offered a solution - and a solution is exactly and only what seekers seek. The original question was old, yep, but that does not mean that everyone has moved on from that program/hardware/OS. And so, those much later posts will be very much welcomed by those STILL seeking an answer to the original post. You are probably not aware that there are hundreds of thousands of people still using Windows 95, billions still using Windows 98, hundreds of billions still using XP - think on.

Until about 2 years ago, I made regular use of DOS. True. My system was then Win98. Win98's Sort was/is wrong, and so I had to drop into DOS in order to achieve a correct Sort. Not everyone is doing what you do in the same way you do it. Some of us are working outside the norm. Keep everything for as long as is practicable.

K1, K2, K3, it does not matter. All information has value. Despite what the experts say, some things are not so very different, and one suggestion often leads to the thinking of a different approach, despite different hardware/software. This I can attest to because I have been around these computer things since before the PC was first sold. Trust me. You are so wrong.

(And I would very much like to know, why are so many of you younger peeps so hung up about where posts are posted. Stop being so uptight, so anal. When I was your age, I would not have given a toss if someone posted a question in a "wrong" thread. It's just communication, for hmpf sake, calm down. Have a drink. Dork.

Sorry, you are wrong. Keep old threads for at least a decade, and allow them to be added to. This will Help people, your choice will only hinder.

kindlekitten
02-03-2011, 09:01 PM
try to find a K1 and look at it before reading someone the riot act. they are EXTREMELY different devices. white arrow speaks correctly. this would just confuse someone. if they need K1 information, they can search on it separately.

kennedygo
11-21-2011, 03:30 PM
My kindle just did the samething. I called AMAzon and they wouldn't replace it without putting ANOTHER $189 on my credit card. they would not allow me to ship it back at my expense!!!! RIPOFF!!!!:angry:

DustyDisks
11-21-2011, 03:39 PM
My kindle just did the samething. I called AMAzon and they wouldn't replace it without putting ANOTHER $189 on my credit card. they would not allow me to ship it back at my expense!!!! RIPOFF!!!!:angry:

How old is it?

abookreader
11-21-2011, 03:49 PM
Why would they charge you $189 to replace a kindle 3? New ones don't cost that much.

Dr. Drib
11-22-2011, 07:11 AM

I think we need more information:

What reason did they give you?
How old is the unit?

Don

GiBraiNe
11-22-2011, 11:25 AM
When Amazon replaced my kindle, they charged me the new one. But then I got a refund three days later. I sent the damaged kindle paying the delivery, and later Amazon gave me another refund for the total of the delivery cost!. If your kindle is still in warranty, may be the same, they need to charge you to send out the new unit, but you will be refunded later.