View Full Version : Forums in other languages?

leandroide
11-27-2007, 08:39 AM
Hello, mobilereaders!

In thread "Hello from Madrid" (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13172), opened by tempvs, several members said that it would be perfect having a spanish forum in mobileread. I suppose that our german and french friends would be very glad of having similar forums.

Who are in favor of a "spanish corner" (and one french, and one german...) in mobileread? Raise your hands!

:thumbsup:

HarryT
11-27-2007, 09:26 AM
We already have different language threads in many of the device forums. There is a French thread in the Gen3 forum, and a German one in the Sony forum. Feel free to create a new thread for Spanish discussions in any forum you wish, but I don't personally feel that a separate Spanish forum would be appropriate.

TadW
11-27-2007, 10:58 AM
Why not consolidate the existing foreign-speaking threads into a new foreign-speaking forum section? A new main forum could be called "MobileRead International", with sub-forums like "German", "French", "Spanish", "Chinese".

Nate the great
11-27-2007, 11:03 AM
Why not consolidate the existing foreign-speaking threads into a new foreign-speaking forum section? A new main forum could be called "MobileRead International", with sub-forums like "German", "French", "Spanish", "Chinese".

...American...

Nate the great
11-27-2007, 11:08 AM
If you add a Pig-Latin sub-forum, I'll use it. :)

Or Klingon. I would be interested in posting in Klingon.

yvanleterrible
11-27-2007, 11:22 AM
Why not consolidate the existing foreign-speaking threads into a new foreign-speaking forum section? A new main forum could be called "MobileRead International", with sub-forums like "German", "French", "Spanish", "Chinese".That would be a very good idea because some subjects need a bigger space and subsections. You just can't cram all of MR in one thread. For instance, I try to translate information that has been given in MR regular threads to French people with no aptitudes for English. But the thread has become huge and people jump from one subject to the other, breaking the flow of conversation.

jbenny
11-27-2007, 12:29 PM
Or Klingon. I would be interested in posting in Klingon.

Klingons don't read. Only P'taks read :)

Nate the great
11-27-2007, 01:49 PM
Klingons don't read. Only P'taks read :)

How else would you be able to learn Hamlet, if not in the original Klingon?

http://www.kli.org/stuff/Hamlet.html

jbenny
11-27-2007, 02:38 PM

Some folks have way too much time on their hands :)

hidari
11-27-2007, 03:02 PM
A Multi-Language forum would be a great Idea. It would also encourage people from other parts of the world to come more often to Mobile Read. I know we have a sister Russian site that I Check out...but I prefer the Mobile Read one.

Perhaps a Babylon Forum Section..

>>>>>>???????????????????

わかりますか?

IHello, mobilereaders!

In thread "Hello from Madrid" (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13172), opened by tempvs, several members said that it would be perfect having a spanish forum in mobileread. I suppose that our german and french friends would be very glad of having similar forums.

Who are in favor of a "spanish corner" (and one french, and one german...) in mobileread? Raise your hands!

:thumbsup:

dantea
11-27-2007, 05:53 PM
It´s a great idea!

RWood
11-27-2007, 06:13 PM

I do have a copy of the shareware Klingon font.

ricdiogo
11-27-2007, 09:26 PM
:tup:

Tempvs
11-28-2007, 05:20 AM
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

igorsk
11-28-2007, 06:32 AM
What I've seen on another forum I visit is a separate section for international posts, where each thread is marked with an ISO language tag: [ru], [jp], [zh], [it] etc. Something like that might work here too.

yvanleterrible
11-28-2007, 10:01 AM
What I've seen on another forum I visit is a separate section for international posts, where each thread is marked with an ISO language tag: [ru], [jp], [zh], [it] etc. Something like that might work here too.
Could you put up the link so we can visit and have a look? Thanks.

igorsk
11-28-2007, 10:09 AM
http://maayas.net/viewforum.php?f=4

yvanleterrible
11-28-2007, 10:18 AM
Hmmm! Interesting but confusing to some extent.
I think something more discrete to each language would be better. I've seen many examples of frustration non speakers have expressed so far towards other cultures. If we could get out of their faces they wouldn't object to our creating space for ourselves.

yvanleterrible
11-28-2007, 11:09 AM
To help sum up the confusion that reigns on the French thread. There were about 20 subjects being discussed that could have had their own threads. There are at this time 318 posts. Can you imagine having to read through this? Personnally I would skip off to something else, or some other site as I'm sure others do.

DaleDe
11-28-2007, 06:57 PM
To help sum up the confusion that reigns on the French thread. There were about 20 subjects being discussed that could have had their own threads. There are at this time 318 posts. Can you imagine having to read through this? Personnally I would skip off to something else, or some other site as I'm sure others do.

I would find it much better to have an International Forum with language subsections and then they could have whatever topic they wished.

The system we have today triggers new messages every time one of the foreign language folks post and this means I have to clear it or check it since you can't tell from the top that it is a foreign language post.

So, for both of these reasons it is a win-win for everybody. We also need to find a way to have foreign language pages in the wiki. Today you might click on something only to find you can't read it depending on what language is was written in.

Dale

ricdiogo
11-29-2007, 10:00 AM
Why haven't the administrators already done it? It's not so hard and it doesn't seem to need too much of a discussion.

In the main page, just create below
"Book Recommendations
Books you are reading right now, books that e-book worms could enjoy"

just add something like

«Mobileread International
Deutsch, Español, Français, Italiano, Nederlands, Português, Русский»

Then create the subforums:
Deutsch
Español
Français
Italiano
Nederlands
Português
Русский

In any of these subforums, just ask someone to moderate it and create a sticky post written in the given language with a welcome message and the forum rules.

When it comes to special devices, people should add a special tag in their language subforum:

[Cybook Gen3]Será o dispositivo indicado para mim?
[Sony PRS505]Versão em azul ou cinzenta?
[iLiad]É muito caro, será que compensa?
[Cybook Gen3]Bloqueia ao virar as páginas :/

I can write the Portuguese message.

yvanleterrible
11-29-2007, 10:11 AM
I would find it much better to have an International Forum with language subsections and then they could have whatever topic they wished.

The system we have today triggers new messages every time one of the foreign language folks post and this means I have to clear it or check it since you can't tell from the top that it is a foreign language post.

So, for both of these reasons it is a win-win for everybody. We also need to find a way to have foreign language pages in the wiki. Today you might click on something only to find you can't read it depending on what language is was written in.

DaleTo help filter what you read just look at the forum name at the right. For instance, I skip those from the Kindle forum.:laugh4: There is so much there that I don't have time to read it all.

We could have a forum for other languages that we could call "International" and one subcategory for each language and then categories for devices, books and general talk. That would mean 3 for each language, more than enough.

Alexander Turcic
11-29-2007, 02:51 PM

This is something we've been considering for a while. Not only with languages, but also in other areas (for instance, pre-defined thread prefixes could indicate a book format, or a type of device (PRS-500 vs. PRS-505), or the type of thread (question vs. review vs. notice), etc). These prefixes could then even be used for specifying searches.

Until now, this was not possible without some serious code hacking (which we usually try to avoid). The developers of our forum software gave us a glimpse of the next forum update, and fortunately, it'll include those prefixes! So once the next update is released, we'll have the tools to define different thread prefixes for different forum sections.

Why haven't the administrators already done it? It's not so hard and it doesn't seem to need too much of a discussion.

Heh, we are following this thread very closely and thinking about the best solution. I like your suggestions a lot. My only concern is that it'll always have someone who'd rightly feel discriminated because his or her language was not included. But perhaps this is not so much a problem as I think it could be.

The nice aspect about your suggestion is that we could combine it with igorsk's previous suggestion above. We could add pre-defined tags in each of the language sections, and these tags would basically include all the devices that we've dedicated English sections for.

How does this sound?

ricdiogo
11-29-2007, 06:34 PM
Sounds cool.;)

leandroide
11-30-2007, 03:55 AM
So once the next update is released, we'll have the tools to define different thread prefixes for different forum sections.

How does this sound?

Sounds perfect!

When is this next update expected?

L.

Alexander Turcic
11-30-2007, 07:03 AM
When is this next update expected? L.

The first public beta will be released shortly (I guess in 1-2 weeks). Usually we refrain from using MobileRead as a beta test platform though. Hence we'll have to decide whether we should go ahead without the thread prefixes, and add them later once the beta turns gold. :chinscratch:

dantea
11-30-2007, 07:43 AM
Great, its perfect :)

ElaHuguet
12-01-2007, 05:06 AM
I think it would be really cool. :D

anuski
12-01-2007, 05:41 PM
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

:2thumbsup:

StDo
01-14-2008, 04:16 PM
Hi guys,

does anybody know, why the german thread in the Sony forum (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12124) was closed?

Maybe somebody can re-open it?
:thanks:

StDo

DaleDe
01-14-2008, 04:24 PM
Hi guys,

does anybody know, why the german thread in the Sony forum (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12124) was closed?

Maybe somebody can re-open it?
:thanks:

StDo

Try it now.\

Dale

JSWolf
01-22-2008, 12:46 PM
It is open. Enjoy!