Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-26-2007, 01:15 PM   #1
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Bought paper books this weekend

I can't believe I broke down and bought three pbooks this weekend. Two David Eddings books in the Dreamer series ($5.90 hard cover bargins.) And Lackey When Darkness Falls. None of these could I find as legit ebook's to buy anywhere.

Also, I didn't buy Goodkinds Confessor cause it was only out in hard cover... Do people really pay $25 for fiction?

At least Confessor is not even available for Kindle. Of course, if it were $410 would be a bit much for it...

Sony, Cybook, Hanlin, Amazon, etc... all need to get together and get more of these publishers to produce ebooks!

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 02:00 PM   #2
Mirtika
Mirtika began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS505
I bought 8 paper books since I got my Reader. All from amazon. Several fantasy. I'm a book junkie--no matter the format.

And I couldn't find HOOD or SCARLET by STephen Lawhead at eConnect, so, well------------------------------->skips off to get paper books yet again.

I also plan to get the next DRESDEN FILES novel in hardcover. I have all of them up to now, and I don't want to have an incomplete set on the shelves.

Mirtika
Mirtika is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2007, 02:44 PM   #3
Ozric
Zealot
Ozric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watch

Device: way too many =)
I don't get how these publishers decide what they're going to release in digital form, particuarly in the case of series. You can get the second half of The Belgariad, but not the first? They've e-published all volumes of the Venus Prime series except for the final one (and since it seems to have been a few years, it's unlikely the last one is pending)? Or if you're interested in starting the Dresden Files (which I've contemplated) you can get the first book, then have to skip books 2 and 3, but after that the series resumes?

It's odd
Ozric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 02:46 PM   #4
Mirtika

Oh, do get the Dresden Files--any format! The first book, incidentally, is the weakest. Book two gets more momentum (those are some seriously scary werewolves of all sorts). And book three is where it gets absolutely fabulous and just starts zooming. How he keeps up the momentum is amazing. I won't even get into what he does with fossil bones. Dang.

The TV show was a stinker, but the series just improves with each novel.

Mirtika
Old 11-26-2007, 03:09 PM   #5
stxopher
Nameless Being

Though I'm still trying to figure out why you can get Vol. 1 and 4-9 in an e-format but not 2 or 3. No doubt it involves some highly clever business acumen that eludes we less savvy consumers.
Advert
Old 11-26-2007, 03:25 PM   #6
Mirtika

Yes. It's not as if they could "sell out."
Old 11-26-2007, 04:13 PM   #7
maxk
Enthusiast
maxk began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I have a big stack of paper books that I bought before my 505 arrived.

Almost none of them are available legitimately for sale online - I would have bought digital copies as well for convenience.

I really should have found out whether my favorite authors (eg. Ian M Banks) were publishing digitally before buying it
maxk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 04:18 PM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozric View Post
I don't get how these publishers decide what they're going to release in digital form, particuarly in the case of series. You can get the second half of The Belgariad, but not the first?
I know what you mean. I just tried the first book in a mystery series. I liked it & bought book 2. When I went to get books 3 & 4 I find them unavailable, but books 5-16 are. I'm hoping it's a temporary thing and 3 & 4 will be out soon, but it's frustrating.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 05:58 PM   #9
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I'm hoping it's a temporary thing and 3 & 4 will be out soon, but it's frustrating.
Well, you know what they say... the pioneers are the ones with the arrows in their backs.

One more... they don't call it the "bleeding edge" for nothing.

I expect this is similar to any early adopter scenerio. When I got my HD TV as a b-day present I pretty much watched Discovery Theater if I wanted HD... now pretty much everything is produced in HD with a few exceptions like The Amazing Race and Survivor which with all the remotes and hand held cameras I guess I can understand why it isn't.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote