View Full Version : My first library book

Kumabjorn
01-16-2012, 11:33 AM
Today i borrowed my firts library book. On the Sony PRS-350 it is 280 pages in epub format. I have other books that have more pages, yet they are 15 to 20 times smaller in file size.
Usually they hover around 300 to 350 kB, yet the library book is 10 MB+.
Does the security around a library book require 10 MB of space?

Not that it really bothers me, once I've read it I can just delete it, but it does surprise me.

Toxaris
01-16-2012, 11:34 AM
No, the security will have a small imprint in general. Are there any pictures in it? That can result in large files.

Kumabjorn
01-16-2012, 12:22 PM
Ahhh, I haven't gotten that far yet, but it is an auto-biography so there is a distinct possibility that you are on to something.

JSWolf
01-16-2012, 11:11 PM
Ahhh, I haven't gotten that far yet, but it is an auto-biography so there is a distinct possibility that you are on to something.

In most autobiographies there are pictures.

Jellby
01-17-2012, 12:03 AM
Unzip it and see what's inside.

pholy
01-17-2012, 01:05 AM
Even without stripping the DRM you can unzip the file and see the file names and types inside. (and fix things like screwed up file names that make ineptepub.py complain bitterly)
Another thing that can grow an epub file is embedded font files.

Kumabjorn
01-17-2012, 03:29 AM
Unzip it? Are you telling me that epub files are zip files with a different file extension?
I'll take a look when I get home, will WIN7's built in unzip commando work?

Toxaris
01-17-2012, 04:41 AM
Unzip it? Are you telling me that epub files are zip files with a different file extension?
I'll take a look when I get home, will WIN7's built in unzip commando work?

Correct. An ePUB is essentially a zip-archive containing various elements like XHTML files, stylesheets, pictures and fonts.
There are rules about structure and creating the zip-file though. It has to be constructed via a specific method.

You might need to rename the .epub to .zip for the internal unzip of Windows.

Kumabjorn
01-17-2012, 06:59 AM
The things you learn here never seize to amaze me.
Thank you for all the input.

pholy
01-17-2012, 11:03 AM
The things you learn here never seize to amaze me.
Thank you for all the input.

You just have to spend ore time on MobileRead. If you try to have a life, you will never keep up.

Kumabjorn
01-17-2012, 11:56 AM
I'm starting to realize that. My family is abandoning me, friends no longer call, and I pout when I don't receive a reply within five minutes....
I should probably see a shrink. Preferably someone who reads e-books.

Jim Lester
01-17-2012, 02:09 PM
I'm starting to realize that. My family is abandoning me, friends no longer call, and I pout when I don't receive a reply within five minutes....
I should probably see a shrink. Preferably someone who reads e-books.

Welcome to Mobileread.