View Full Version : Kindle Owners - Did you own a Sony Reader?

RSaunders
11-25-2007, 06:45 PM
When I look at the Kindle, I'm taken by the choices made by Amazon. I've had a Sony Reader for a year, and none of the choices strike me as important. The PR, even Newsweek, and the business advantages all go to Kindle. Nobody who has used Sony CONNECT hasn't wished it was integrated with Amazon.com. My question is about the technical features, and I guess you really need to know the Sony Reader to answer them.

1) Do you like daily charging better than computer docking? The Kindle has a radio that allows it to be updated by Amazon, but it gives you daily charging instead of the monthly charging of the Sony Reader. I charge my Sony by plugging it into my computer's USB port. So, if it has to be plugged in every day, why spend $$ on a radio?

2) How often do you buy books? I buy 3-4 books at a time, a behavior I have had in pbook stores, on Amazon, and now with my Reader. It takes me hours to read a book, that's why they are a good entertainment value. I'm about 100 books behind, so I don't mind 2 day pbook delay from Amazon.com. Do you buy books every day?

3) Is the EVDO Internet the killer app? My kid has an iPhone, so he has Internet at the same speed. He has full web features, and color, and it was really cool for a couple of weeks. Now, he never uses it. Sure, wikipedia is a cool thing to have. But I have a laptop with WiFi right on my desk, when I'm reading I can go for ages without using it.

4) Are you going to buy a lot of Amazon books, now that you know that there are lots of places to get DRM-free books? I buy books from Sony, well, almost never, because I can get books in other formats with much more diversity. I'll spend 5 minutes on my computer to convert a book to Sony format, sometimes to save $5, other times to get a book Sony isn't listing. I read hundreds of pages every week (mostly SF) and I never seem to need Sony titles.

I really want Kindle to succeed. I'd like to see Amazon take over and sell books to all the eBook readers. Surely, beating Sony's store could be done with one hand behind their back. I just can't seem to breakout of the notion that Amazon sees this as a hardware play, being in the gadget business. If they were trying to be in the book business, priceless.

vivaldirules
11-25-2007, 07:02 PM
I find your comments interesting and I'd probably agree with them myself except for the last one. Yes, there's lots of DRM-free content available elsewhere - even free content. But not nearly as much as Amazon has available now. If I had a Kindle there are plenty of ebooks that they offer now that I'd be buying from them. I can only hope that Sony catches up and offers these (and a lot more) soon. The rate that Sony is increasing their offerings is pretty tiny at the moment.

AnemicOak
11-25-2007, 07:04 PM
The rate that Sony is increasing their offerings is pretty tiny at the moment.

It will hopefully change as their Borders deal takes full effect.

Nate the great
11-25-2007, 07:42 PM
When I look at the Kindle, I'm taken by the choices made by Amazon. I've had a Sony Reader for a year, and none of the choices strike me as important. The PR, even Newsweek, and the business advantages all go to Kindle. Nobody who has used Sony CONNECT hasn't wished it was integrated with Amazon.com. My question is about the technical features, and I guess you really need to know the Sony Reader to answer them.

1) Do you like daily charging better than computer docking? The Kindle has a radio that allows it to be updated by Amazon, but it gives you daily charging instead of the monthly charging of the Sony Reader. I charge my Sony by plugging it into my computer's USB port. So, if it has to be plugged in every day, why spend $$ on a radio?

I think it's too early to ask this question. I have only had my Kindle 6 days. I don't feel I can answer this question until I've had it at least 3 weeks to a month.

But I can say that I don't have to charge my Kindle every night. I keep the EVDO switched off when I don't need it. My current estimate is that it will be a twice weekly charge.

2) How often do you buy books? I buy 3-4 books at a time, a behavior I have had in pbook stores, on Amazon, and now with my Reader. It takes me hours to read a book, that's why they are a good entertainment value. I'm about 100 books behind, so I don't mind 2 day pbook delay from Amazon.com. Do you buy books every day?

I don't think I will change my book buying habits much. I bought most ebooks for my Sony in LIT format, and then converted them. I haven't purchased any since I got the Kindle but I do not see a reason to change. It takes about 2 minutes to change a DRMed LIT to a non DRM PRC that I can read on the Kindle. It may cost me more money than AZW, but I think of it as a premium for not being locked in to one format.

3) Is the EVDO Internet the killer app? My kid has an iPhone, so he has Internet at the same speed. He has full web features, and color, and it was really cool for a couple of weeks. Now, he never uses it. Sure, wikipedia is a cool thing to have. But I have a laptop with WiFi right on my desk, when I'm reading I can go for ages without using it.

The EVDO is nice, and will get even better when Munsey's gets their site up and running.

I think the killer app is the search function, not EVDO. I have all my sf ebooks on the Kindle. If I feel the urge to reread a certain author, I search for the name and all of that author's books and stories from inside various magazines will be listed.

4) Are you going to buy a lot of Amazon books, now that you know that there are lots of places to get DRM-free books? I buy books from Sony, well, almost never, because I can get books in other formats with much more diversity. I'll spend 5 minutes on my computer to convert a book to Sony format, sometimes to save $5, other times to get a book Sony isn't listing. I read hundreds of pages every week (mostly SF) and I never seem to need Sony titles.
I might buy a magazine subscription, but don't think I will get many novels.

jocheguevara
11-25-2007, 07:58 PM
Its a great System

Florentino Guevara

http://www.wantaebook.com/

JSWolf
11-25-2007, 08:17 PM
Its a great System

Florentino Guevara

http://www.wantaebook.com/
Which is a great system, the 505 or the Kindle?

gregr209
11-25-2007, 11:05 PM
I bought a Sony Reader 505 last week before the Kindle was released. I ordered the Kindle on the release day and am returning the Sony Reader tomorrow. I do like the Sony but the Kindle is more feature rich and the books on Amazon are cheaper. I wish Sony wouldn't have 'stuck' it to us, regarding book prices, before the Kindle came out cause I see now they have started lower the prices on their own store.

Don't get me wrong the Sony Reader 505 is a great product but the Kindle has just way to many plus for me to pass by.

Greg

JSWolf
11-25-2007, 11:11 PM
I bought a Sony Reader 505 last week before the Kindle was released. I ordered the Kindle on the release day and am returning the Sony Reader tomorrow. I do like the Sony but the Kindle is more feature rich and the books on Amazon are cheaper. I wish Sony wouldn't have 'stuck' it to us, regarding book prices, before the Kindle came out cause I see now they have started lower the prices on their own store.

Don't get me wrong the Sony Reader 505 is a great product but the Kindle has just way to many plus for me to pass by.

Greg
Sony did not stick it to anyone regarding prices. If you had looked before the Kindle came out, you would have seen that Sony's book prices were competitive with others. And according to most of the ebook sites, prices are set by the publisher. Either Amazon managed to get the publishers to drop prices or they are losing money.

tklaus
11-25-2007, 11:29 PM

I don't think the radio necessarily means daily charging. If you don't need/use the wireless features on a regular basis, just turn off the wireless. Even if you have subscriptions, you can just turn it on once a day, select 'check for new items' from the menu, wait for them to download (should be quick), then turn it off.

gregr209
11-25-2007, 11:29 PM
Sony did not stick it to anyone regarding prices. If you had looked before the Kindle came out, you would have seen that Sony's book prices were competitive with others. And according to most of the ebook sites, prices are set by the publisher. Either Amazon managed to get the publishers to drop prices or they are losing money.

But if Sony was serious about selling the Reader they would have sold the books for less in the beginning. They are/were trying to get as much as they could. I do believe that Amazon is taking a huge hit by selling the books cheaper because everything I have read the publishers are not happy about the lower prices and so I think Amazon told them well we are going to sell them for "X price" anyway.

The price for Ebooks HAS always been WAY TO MUCH and has been over priced for years. I don't know who they think they are fooling but there has been no reason for the high prices of ebooks. NONE. Unless I'm missing something. Am I?

Just my 2 cents.

Greg

drgnbear
11-26-2007, 12:38 AM
I wish I had waited to get my 505 it's been too long to return it and I did the free personalization thing. I have my old 500 too... I think I'll sell the 500 on ebay and keep the 505 for reading my stuff that I bought from sony. Frankly I love the Kindle and hope it starts a reader war, my bank account can't handle it but the market sure can.

DaleDe
11-26-2007, 01:05 AM
But if Sony was serious about selling the Reader they would have sold the books for less in the beginning. They are/were trying to get as much as they could. I do believe that Amazon is taking a huge hit by selling the books cheaper because everything I have read the publishers are not happy about the lower prices and so I think Amazon told them well we are going to sell them for "X price" anyway.

The price for Ebooks HAS always been WAY TO MUCH and has been over priced for years. I don't know who they think they are fooling but there has been no reason for the high prices of ebooks. NONE. Unless I'm missing something. Am I?

Just my 2 cents.

Greg

Yes you are missing the fact that the price is set by the publisher and not by Sony. Amazon seems to be able to influence (coerce) the publisher to adjust the prices and we all benefit. I also believe that Amazon is losing money on some of the best sellers and this is one reason that don't want to sell them to someone that they didn't make the money on the hardware. This will change over time as market demand drives the prices down.

We are already seeing the benefit on the Sony books from the Amazon release as well as fictionwise books and others. As the publishers change the prices everyone benefits.

Dale

runciter
11-26-2007, 01:28 AM
I agree. The price of ebooks is outrageous. They seem to be stuck in the same mentality of the music, movie and tv industry WRT digital media. According to "several publishing executives" the wholesale price of a $20 ebook is $10 so obviously Amazon is not making any money on the sale of ebooks, but they hope "to make money on older titles that have better profit margins."

The availability, pricing, increased selection, and my faith in Amazon have pushed me into buying a Kindle instead of the Sony Reader. I love the Reader, but Sony's Connect bookstore is rubbish. Going to connect.com redirects you to the music store with no link to the bookstore. Seems they don't have their heart into the ebook business which is a shame since the Reader is a fine piece of hardware.

Source for Amazon info:
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/20/business/20bookxx.html?ref=technology

HarryT
11-26-2007, 04:26 AM
I agree. The price of ebooks is outrageous. They seem to be stuck in the same mentality of the music, movie and tv industry WRT digital media. According to "several publishing executives" the wholesale price of a $20 ebook is $10 so obviously Amazon is not making any money on the sale of ebooks, but they hope "to make money on older titles that have better profit margins."

If the wholesale price of a book is $10, what would you consider a reasonable retail price to be, given the fact that it costs money to run the web site and distribution system, plus the fact that they have to make a reasonable profit in order to stay in business?

rflashman
11-26-2007, 06:16 AM

My Sony reader never lasted a month. I charged it daily, but when I didn't it lasted about 5-6 days. So far my Kindle seems to be lasting 2-3 days. So the difference is not as big as you imply. I'm sure I can push my Kindle further if I don't use the radio/wireless feature.

Nope, but I do let my Kindle download two newspapers a day, which it does automatically before I wake up.

I don't think EVDO matters. But I do think that eventually high-speed wireless web access anywhere is a killer app, but the exact perfect device has not appeared yet.

I found a lot of that to be too much personal hassle and most books I read are only available with DRM anyways. For me, it's about the available easy-to-get content.

I really want Kindle to succeed. I'd like to see Amazon take over and sell books to all the eBook readers. Surely, beating Sony's store could be done with one hand behind their back. I just can't seem to breakout of the notion that Amazon sees this as a hardware play, being in the gadget business. If they were trying to be in the book business, priceless.

I don't see this at all as a "hardware play". I think the key elements that make the Kindle unique: Amazon Catalog & Wireless Delivery are hardware less features. I expect Amazon to release more models. But does it seem that alien that eventually Amazon could merge or buy the Sony store? Amazon makes their money through content. Considering the amount of wireless data they are subsidizing for each hardware sale, I am not sure they are making any serious money with hardware sales alone.

astra
11-26-2007, 06:40 AM
My Sony reader never lasted a month. I charged it daily, but when I didn't it lasted about 5-6 days.

I have a strong feeling that your Sony Reader is faulty. Even after 11 months of use reader's battery still holds up to 2.5 weeks, in the worst case scenario when I switch a lot between font sizes/toc/bookmarks and menu it holds for 12 days.

HarryT
11-26-2007, 07:21 AM
I have a strong feeling that your Sony Reader is faulty. Even after 11 months of use It still holds up to 2.5 weeks, in the worst case scenario when I switch a ,ot between font sizes and menu it holds for 12 days.

Agreed - most people find that the Reader needs recharging about every 2-3 weeks, depending on usage.

jasonkchapman
11-26-2007, 07:59 AM
I have a strong feeling that your Sony Reader is faulty. Even after 11 months of use reader's battery still holds up to 2.5 weeks, in the worst case scenario when I switch a lot between font sizes/toc/bookmarks and menu it holds for 12 days.

That's been my experience. I never have to charge my Sony more often than every two weeks.

I don't think EVDO matters. But I do think that eventually high-speed wireless web access anywhere is a killer app, but the exact perfect device has not appeared yet.

Anywhere Web access is great, it just doesn't belong in an e-book reader until it can be done without sacrificing the form factor, battery life, screen quality, and reading dynamics that go into a good e-book reader.

astra
11-26-2007, 08:20 AM
Anywhere Web access is great, it just doesn't belong in an e-book reader until it can be done without sacrificing the form factor, battery life, screen quality, and reading dynamics that go into a good e-book reader.

I could not say it better :rolleyes:

AnemicOak
11-26-2007, 10:32 AM

I'd think it depends a lot on usage. I read 600-1000 pages a day on my 505 & get 4-6 days on a charge. I don't know if that's considered bad battery life, but it seems pretty good to me.

astra
11-26-2007, 10:36 AM
I'd think it depends a lot on usage. I read 600-1000 pages a day on my 505 & get 4-6 days on a charge. I don't know if that's considered bad battery life, but it seems pretty good to me.

Uh...1000 pages/day :huh:
OK. I am taking my assumption back if that's the case with rflashman. I have never exceeded 100 :knife:

NatCh
11-26-2007, 01:00 PM
I'd think it depends a lot on usage. I read 600-1000 pages a day on my 505 & get 4-6 days on a charge. I don't know if that's considered bad battery life, but it seems pretty good to me.600~1,000 pages a day, while astonishing (:zoiks:), is about right for a week per charge -- at that rate you'd be running into the 7,500 page limit by then.

I'm still getting a bit over 3 weeks on a charge (after more than a year), but I don't read nearly that much! :unafraid:

sfernald
11-26-2007, 01:28 PM
1) Well, of course I prefer not charging to having to charge. I have to charge my Sony 505 every 3-4 weeks. The kindle I plug in daily. The way I use it I don't think I could get by for longer than 3 days before it died. Now if I used it without all the functionality that makes the Kindle unique, then I'm sure it would last for a week or more, but what is the point of that. The thing that makes the Kindle great is the push subscriptions to newspapers, blogs and magazines, the web, wikipedia, the searches and free EVDO. The thing is, the Kindle model is accessible to more people. For instance, I got my mom a reader for last Christmas and she has never plugged the reader into her computer. She just doesn't have the technical expertise to do it. So I have to copy all her books to her computer for her (she likes the classics). If she had access to the kindle store, which by the way, compares well to the amazon.com store for ease of use, she would probably be purchasing books all the time on it. I think this opens the market to many more users. However, it's interesting to note that the requiring a connection to a computer didn't hurt the proliferation of the ipod - I'm guessing this might be bacause ipod users are younger and more tech-savvy, or perhaps because the itunes store is so user-friendly. In any case, I love the independence from the computer.

2) I have purchased three books so far. I found a book that was recommended to me by the kindle store, downloaded the free chapter, read it and loved it, and then instantly purchased the whole book all while waiting in the car as my wife was shopping the outlets. That is what makes the store so cool. I've purchased several subscriptions as well. I think that is the great advantage of the Kindle, having the morning paper, monthly periodicals and blogs delivered to your kindle throughout the day. I just hope the content keeps expanding. I expect someday that every word that amazon sells should be offered in kindle format. I'm a big sci-fi fan, so I also purchased some sci-fi periodicals like ASIMOV's and ANALOG from ficitonwise in mobi format. I emailed these to my kindle address and they converted and showed up to my kindle almost instantly. It works very well, but I would prefer to get everything from the amazon store because it is so simple.

3) It is too early for me to say if EVDO is a killer app. I should say I have an iphone and still use that all the time and love it. But the EVDO on the kindle is much faster than the EDGE on the iphone. I love that. If it stays free, I think this will be the killer app for the kindle. I do love the functionality that EVDO provides including the kindle store, push subscriptions, wikipedia, searching, and the web browser. I find that all the time while reading I end up on the web or wikipedia researching some tidbit. It is handy and useful. Out of everything EVDO, the push subscriptions are probably the big ticket item for me. I'm the kind of reader that needs to change what he's reading quite often. A reader with just novels and short stories just doesn't do it for me. But with the kindle, I can read a novel for a while, then read the paper, then read a few long articles for a magazine like TheAtlantic, then read the novel some more, then check the blogs for more techy info such as slashdot or engadget (this replaces the need to surf the web somewhat). With all the different types of content the kindle offers, I feel this replaces my need to have an always-connected laptop for surfing the web. The kindle gets me reading faster and I read in much larger quantities than through just normal web surfing.

4) I would prefer to purchase all my content through the kindle store, but until that day when it has everything I want, I will fill in the holes through stores such as fictionwise. I prefer the convenience of the kindle store and I really like the prices. I don't care that much about the drm really. In five years, when the ereader is as big a hit as the ipod or laptop is today, we can fight that battle for drm-free content.

tsgreer
11-26-2007, 01:48 PM
1) ...I'm a big sci-fi fan, so I also purchased some sci-fi periodicals like ASIMOV's and ANALOG from ficitonwise in mobi format. I emailed these to my kindle address and they converted and showed up to my kindle almost instantly...

And remember, you don't HAVE to email the fictionwise stuff that's in mobi format to your kindle address. You can just drag-n-drop via USB and they work just fine...

runciter
11-26-2007, 03:06 PM
If the wholesale price of a book is $10, what would you consider a reasonable retail price to be, given the fact that it costs money to run the web site and distribution system, plus the fact that they have to make a reasonable profit in order to stay in business?
Frankly, I don't believe that ($10) to be the true wholesale cost of the product. This isn't the twentieth century... I would imagine very few writers don't utilise a computer to type their work and that work is sent to their editor, then publisher, etc. Of course the book industry is backwards and still fear the digital world so they turn it into paper at various stages of the document, but ignoring that and their foibles... the product exists in digital form.
I think a more reasonable price would be at or under $5. There are no trees to harvest, tons of product to be shipped around the world, and the server backend, distribution, and bandwidth are not the suppliers problem, so why would that be included in the wholesale cost of the product.

Look at the ebook price of "paperbacks". Typically $7 or so from a couple titles I looked at. There is no difference between a paperback and a hardback (assuming the title has both versions) but the publishers have the old world mentality. I would be interested to know how much out of $20 book actually goes to the author(s) versus how much is spent killing/printing/moving dead trees around.

We are near a point where the author can avoid the publisher and go direct to Amazon and sell their product direct. I think this could be great, much like independent musicians can get their music out to more people than ever before. Granted, at this point, only the large authors would get the eyeshare, but it has potential.

Anyhow, I digress. Back to the OT, as is I think typically of Reader fans, I loved the Reader (PRS-505) hardware, but hated the software and the store. I think the Kindle kicks it up a notch, end to end. Having said that, I have friends that don't "get" ebooks and they didn't get the Reader or the Kindle... or rather, they didn't think they were worth the $350/399. *shrug*

jasonkchapman
11-26-2007, 03:21 PM
Frankly, I don't believe that ($10) to be the true wholesale cost of the product.

I think you mean you don't believe it's the true wholesale value. That's a big difference.

If Fictionwise wants to sell the Mobipocket-DRM version of book "X", and Mobipocket has set the wholesale price at $10, then that's the true wholesale cost to Fictionwise. Period.

If Amazon contracts with S&S to sell book "Z", and S&S sets the retail price at $20, while giving Amazon a 50% dealer discount, Amazon's true wholesale cost is $10. No amount of discussion about what tools the author used originally will change that. By that time, the average author is completely out of the loop.

sbosak
11-26-2007, 03:22 PM
"It takes about 2 minutes to change a DRMed LIT to a non DRM PRC that I can read on the Kindle.."

Nate: what are you using to do this? I have about a dozen books trapped on the Sony that I want to put on the new Kindle. Any hints would be appreciated.

Ofoghlu
11-26-2007, 03:34 PM
The PRS500 currently gives me flexibility in relation to non DRM ebooks. Okay, I have to convert to the BBeb/LRF format but that only takes a few minutes. I read mainly Scfi which I buy from BAEN or download from their Free Library. They have the right idea about selling EBooks hook you with a free copy and then you have to buy the series.

df

Nate the great
11-26-2007, 03:39 PM
"It takes about 2 minutes to change a DRMed LIT to a non DRM PRC that I can read on the Kindle.."

Nate: what are you using to do this? I have about a dozen books trapped on the Sony that I want to put on the new Kindle. Any hints would be appreciated.

If you bought the ebooks from the Connect Store (and it sounds like you did), then there is nothing I can do. Sony DRM has not yet been broken.

If you bought them in LIT format, then you will need ConvertLIT and Mobipocket Creator. Expand the LIT into its constituent parts. Then double click on the OPF file (it was created when you expanded the original LIT). Mobipocket Creator should open automatically and it will be ready to create the PRC file.

gregr209
11-26-2007, 03:41 PM
And remember, you don't HAVE to email the fictionwise stuff that's in mobi format to your kindle address. You can just drag-n-drop via USB and they work just fine...

Whoa!!!!! Wait a minute...you mean the stuff I have purchased off of Fictionwise will work on my Kindle? Even with the DRM?

Anyone have anymore information on this? This could be big for me...I have purchased several books from Fictionwise!

Greg

Nate the great
11-26-2007, 03:44 PM
Whoa!!!!! Wait a minute...you mean the stuff I have purchased off of Fictionwise will work on my Kindle? Even with the DRM?

Anyone have anymore information on this? This could be big for me...I have purchased several books from Fictionwise!

Greg

non-DRM PRC yes (their Multiformat stuff)
DRMed LIT yes

DRMed PRC no

sfernald
11-26-2007, 04:19 PM

Greg

There is a drm stripping utility for mobi I believe, but not for the sony reader. I'm in the same boat. I have a bunch of books I'd like to move over.

tsgreer
11-26-2007, 04:56 PM

Greg

Sorry for the misconception I caused! I meant the non-DRM .prc files. There was mention about emailing it to the kindle addy, but the non-DRM mobi files can just be transferred via USB and don't HAVE to be emailed all the time.

AnemicOak
11-26-2007, 05:20 PM
There is a drm stripping utility for mobi I believe, but not for the sony reader.

There is a Mobi tool out there, but good luck getting a copy of it. :(

gregr209
11-26-2007, 05:21 PM
Just returned my Sony Reader 505...it was a sad parting. Now I am just waiting for my Kindle to arrive...hopefully next Monday!

The one good thing about the Sony return was no restocking fee!!!!! Sweet!!!!! I fully expected one!

Greg

sbosak
11-26-2007, 06:43 PM
Great....got it...but yeah, the ones I really want to mpve I bought at Sony...Thanks for the reply!

sbosak
11-26-2007, 06:50 PM
Just a note: Amazon's file transfer over wireless seems on the fritz today-- it rejected a perfectly good .DOC and .TXT file (just trying them out) and the tech support number was busy. Probably getting lots of transfers and having problems would be my guess. In the meantime, a formatted PDF file translated and was sent to my Kindle perfectly fine on Friday.

USB transfers of TXT and HTML work fine as well.

They should release a standalone file converter....yeah, I know, there are financial reasons for not doing so, and the converter would be ripe for reverse engineering.

Meantime, if my Sony had search and note functions, I'd much prefer it.

ghostwheel
11-26-2007, 06:54 PM
They should release a standalone file converter....yeah, I know, there are financial reasons for not doing so, and the converter would be ripe for reverse engineering.

Why not convert to .prc or .mobi using one of the available convertors?

sbosak
11-26-2007, 11:21 PM
Why not convert to .prc or .mobi using one of the available convertors?
Yep, I'll have to try that next. There seem to be a ton of them out there...any suggestions on best DOC and PDF to MOBI converter?...sure wish I could get my purchased Sony material off the danged 505 onto the Kindle...welcome to the wonderful world of DRM, eh?

allen.gotwald
11-27-2007, 09:10 AM
Understand all the thoughts from everyone. I bought my 505 as an e-reader. If I want the news I go online. If I want to listen to MP3's I use my 8 GB Sansa. The 505 is a great e-reader which is all I bought it for and I have had no problems getting books I want to read. Downsides? Sure, Sony will once again commit their usual fatal flaw unless they allow for other than the LRF and BBeB formats. I would warn folks that the enemy of "good" is "better". Meaning, if you always want "better" don't buy anything because you'll never be satisfied since "better" is always around the corner. I'm a very satisfied 505 user.

HarryT
11-27-2007, 09:12 AM
Yep, I'll have to try that next. There seem to be a ton of them out there...any suggestions on best DOC and PDF to MOBI converter?...sure wish I could get my purchased Sony material off the danged 505 onto the Kindle...welcome to the wonderful world of DRM, eh?

If you're running Windows, the easiest converter to use is the Mobi Desktop Reader for Windows.

GatorDeb
12-29-2007, 08:15 PM
I have a reader and will get a Kindle by early February (backorder).

I love the idea of EVDO and newspaper subscriptions. So I want the Kindle for all that it can do. I work for a bank at a call center, however, and they don't allow machines with keyboards and wireless Internet. So the Kindle is a no (we can't even have iPods for security purposes).

The Sony is allowed. So I have the Sony for work (I have about 20 hours of free time a week at work in-between calls) and the Kindle for everything else :D

Anyone else with both?