View Full Version : Paperback Digital's search engine

Sparrow
11-25-2007, 06:12 AM
Using the Search facility at Paperback Digital:

"kevin anderson" - 0 hits
"kevin j anderson" - 0 hits
"kevin j. anderson" - 2 pages of hits

This seems unduly fussy :disappoin
It could be a struggle finding stuff (or is it me?).

DanT
11-25-2007, 11:46 AM
Using the Search facility at Paperback Digital:

"kevin anderson" - 0 hits
"kevin j anderson" - 0 hits
"kevin j. anderson" - 2 pages of hits

This seems unduly fussy :disappoin
It could be a struggle finding stuff (or is it me?).

Yes Paperback Digital has a pretty weak/bad/specific search engine. Sometime I just google with

site:paperbackdigital.com kevin anderson

It give better result. Then you can click on any book --then on the author name, on the ebook detailed page, to get all the books by that author.

Sparrow
11-25-2007, 12:02 PM
Great tip - thanks! :2thumbsup

ashalan
11-25-2007, 02:10 PM
Just gave it a shot assuming there is some sql database sitting in the background and used the sql wildcard character '%' ... it works.

For instance: 'kevin%anderson' will yield the expected 2 pages of search results.

Btw, being a developer of database driven web applications myself, seeing this work gave me the shivers.

Sparrow
11-25-2007, 02:52 PM
Thanks, I'd tried * as a wildcard (without success) but not %

If you enter "kev%j", that works too - "j" gets expanded even though there is no "%" after it - is that usual for sql?

ashalan
11-25-2007, 03:58 PM
If you enter "kev%j", that works too - "j" gets expanded even though there is no "%" after it - is that usual for sql?

No, it is not. Yet I have seen a lot of developers having their code always add a % at the end of any text search. Seems like PBD's developers did just that :)

Sparrow
11-26-2007, 10:32 AM
Looks like they've stopped the wildcard searches - what worked yesterday isn't working today :disappoin
But they haven't made any actual improvements to the Search facility to compensate.
Oh well, at least we have the Google method ;)

ashalan
11-26-2007, 11:02 AM
Looks like they've stopped the wildcard searches - what worked yesterday isn't working today :disappoin
But they haven't made any actual improvements to the Search facility to compensate.
Oh well, at least we have the Google method ;)

Who knows, maybe they read this very post. What I implied with my statement that things like this 'make me shiver' is that allowing the % wildcard very often is an indicator for code that is not warded against sql injection (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SQL_injection). I actually sent them a mail indicating as much but haven't gotten an answer yet.