View Full Version : Kindle USB

SanAntone
11-25-2007, 12:35 AM
Hi,

Came home today and my Kindle's charger was broken. No one seems to know what happened. The receptacle in the kindle has been pushed all the way in and I can't charge my Kindle.

Amazon has been great and is shipping me a new one, but it will be about 4 weeks. They suggested I trickle charge with the USB. Will that work? When you look up the USB cable on Amazon it says it can't be used to charge.

Also, what about buying a USB charger? Will that charge faster than a trickle charge?

Thanks!!

Zoot
11-25-2007, 03:10 AM
I doubt the "USB charger" would do anything more. The USB standard provides 500ma of +5V which ought to be plenty to charge the device in a reasonable amount of time (and, I would think, power the device and the radio at the same time). But maybe they limit the current or otherwise didn't do the work required to make this work well for some reason.

But I'd say try it, since it might actually work better than you expect.

Z.

BaldEmu
11-26-2007, 09:30 PM
San Antone - I'm curious to know your results - have you been able to charge with the USB? I tested last night because I'm eager to get it charging on USB (so I can use my iGo or Kensington travel adapters) but it appeared that the USB actually DRAINED the battery, rather than charging it.......

:(

SanAntone
11-26-2007, 11:02 PM
Yep...it drained the battery in less than half a day. It's now dead and I have to wait until Dec 17th for a replacement.

Not happy.
:angry:

rflashman
11-27-2007, 07:30 AM
Yep...it drained the battery in less than half a day. It's now dead and I have to wait until Dec 17th for a replacement.

Not happy.
:angry:

Hop over to radio shack with the broken charger. They sell dozens of plugs and can probably match it no problem.

charliearmoryco
11-27-2007, 10:12 AM
That's weird. The User's Guide states, "USB port — plug in the included USB cable to transfer content between your computer and your Kindle. Your Kindle will also accept a small trickle charge over USB that may extend your battery life if your computer's USB port or powered USB hub provides power."

I wonder if that feature is broken.

This information is listed under the heading, "Bottom View" in section 1.1 of Chapter 1.

Digriz
11-27-2007, 10:48 AM
I could never get mine charged via USB. It charges fine via the Power adapter. I left it plugged in all night and woke up and it was dead.. The same usb port charges psp, blackberries, runs 2.5" hard drives, etc.

I don't think the trickle charge works. Of course maybe we need a windows driver like the Blackberry units do. So the PC outputs the right amount of power

rflashman
11-27-2007, 12:44 PM
The Sony Reader *only* support Trickle USB charge as long as there is still some power left to run the OS. Maybe the Kindle works the same way.

SanAntone
11-27-2007, 08:44 PM
It was fully charged and it drained the battery in 6 hours.

Also, I'd love to buy another charger--amazon even sells replacement ones, but the charging post inside the kindle is broken off. No way to charge it.

BaldEmu
11-27-2007, 11:13 PM
I just sent Amazon an email about the trickle charge (pasted below), and they say it has to be turned OFF and have the wireless turned OFF, and that it will then take 24 hours to charge on a live USB port. I'm currently testing the battery depletion in Standby mode (so I know how to best use power when traveling) and can't test this, but maybe someone else can?

Here's the reply from Amazon:

"Thank you for writing to us about using the USB connection to charge your Kindle.

Please be aware that this is not intended to be a primary method of charging your Kindle, and using any third-party USB chargers can damage your Kindle and void the warranty.

If you are unable to charge your Kindle using the power adapter, you can charge your Kindle by connecting it to a computer with the USB cable. Your Kindle uses more power than the USB connection provides, so you must make sure the power and wireless switches on your Kindle are in the "OFF" position. Also, the computer you are using must be on and have an active USB port.

Properly connecting your Kindle in this manner will provide a trickle charge to your battery. Please allow up to 24 hours for your battery to charge fully. If you use the power adapter, you should be able to fully charge the battery within three hours."

Zoot
11-28-2007, 01:19 AM
No way to charge it.
Well, you could take the battery out and look for a compatible charger, or find someone with another Kindle who can charge it for you once a week :D

Z.

SanAntone
11-30-2007, 07:00 PM
Well, here's an update.

Turning off the power and the wireless does allow a VERY slow trickle charge. It took about a day and a half to get my Kindle up to full charge. Hopefully this will continue to work until my new one arrives on the 19th.

Just a note...if you leave the Kindle on, the charging light will come on but the power will drain very quickly (about 6 hours). When you have all the power off and you connect the USB, the charging light will not come on, but you are actually charging. Kinda weird.

On another note, Amazon should have a system in place to replace defective product without having to go to the back of the line. I wrote them to say it was as simple as having an additional queue that when an order was cancelled, anyone with a defective Kindle would get the cancelled order. Simple. No luck though.

I really do feel for any of you that get a broken Kindle now. No telling when a replacement will come in.

wallcraft
09-08-2008, 02:51 PM
Deleted.