View Full Version : Can Kindle owners add Kindle editions to their wishlists?

Alisa
11-23-2007, 11:32 PM
I have ordered my Kindle but not received it yet. I really would like to add some ebooks to my wishlist. Christmas is coming and people want to know what to get me. I only have a button to buy the book on their site. I can't seem to add it to my wishlist. I'm hoping that feature will be there if I have a registered Kindle.

LwoodY2K
11-24-2007, 12:16 AM
Right now it looks like none of the downloadable versions of anything can be added to wishlists - all the MP3s and videos have the same thing, so I doubt that buying a kindle will help.

Also, it looks like you can't give downloadable items as gifts now either, so maybe that's why they can't be added to wishlists.

Alisa
11-24-2007, 12:57 AM
Thanks! That's rather disappointing, though. I wonder why they aren't supporting it.

Alisa
11-25-2007, 03:01 PM
I had submitted a CS request about this issue and this is the rather unsatisfactory reply I received:

Hello from Amazon.com.

Thank you for writing about adding Kindle content to your Amazon.com
wishlist.

Because the purchase and download is associated with your Amazon.com
account, you cannot transfer Kindle purchases from one account to
another user, give them as gifts, or add Kindle items to your
wishlist. However, you can purchase Kindle books that interest you
before your Kindle arrives and they will be ready to download as soon
as you receive your Kindle.

It is very important for us to hear about your experience using Kindle
and shopping in the Kindle store and I apologize for any
inconvenience this situation may cause. Strong customer feedback like
yours helps us continue to improve the service we provide, and we
appreciate the time you took to write to us. I've also passed your
feedback along to the Kindle team.

I hope you found this information useful. Of course, we're always
happy to answer your questions. Our goal is to help you get the most
out of your Kindle experience. If you need further assistance, please
contact customer support at 1-866-321-8851.

Thanks for using Amazon Kindle!

I could see maybe they didn't set up the system to be able to transfer ownership from a buyer with no Kindle to another person especially if the buyer doesn't know the email address I use for my account. However, it makes absolutely no sense to not have wishlist functionality. It is tied to my account. They have my Kindle information so they should be able to tie the book to that PID. Such a non-answer. A bad decision, too, IMO since I'm sure a lot of new Kindle owners would love to load up on new books for Christmas.

jasonkchapman
11-26-2007, 11:01 AM
Such a non-answer.

Well, it's not really a non-answer. One of the functions of the wish list is so that user X can buy something for user Y by choosing something from user Y's wish list, in much the same way a wedding gift registry works.

The problem is that they've tied purchases directly to the Kindle account, not to a general user account. I don't have a Kindle, so I can't buy Kindle books, even if it's for someone else.

I agree that it probably wasn't a smart move to do it that way, from a customer service aspect, but it's certainly understandable considering their primary design goal of locking the unit down.

nekokami
11-26-2007, 11:21 AM
I guess you could ask for Amazon gift certificates. But I think this is lame, too-- you should be able to buy a Kindle edition for someone who has a Kindle registered, especially via the Wishlist. I would guess that Amazon will change this, but probably not in time for Christmas this year.

LwoodY2K
11-26-2007, 07:53 PM
You currently can't use amazon gift cards for downloadable things - "Gift Cards cannot be redeemed for purchases of downloadable goods" from the terms and conditions (http://amazon.com/gp/product/B00067L6TQ/#gift-cards-terms-and-conditions).

suzyq
11-27-2007, 09:30 AM
Hi,

I also contacted Amazon about being able to put Kindle editions on my wishlist, and I received the same reply: no can do. But, the way I'm working around this is to send a sample of the book to my Kindle. While this isn't quite as simple as adding the book to a wishlist, at the least it allows me to have a list of the books I'm interested in.

Kingston
01-07-2008, 08:06 AM
If you go to the Customer Review page associated with a Kindle book there is a button to add that book to your wish list.

If there are no reviews, then no wish list button.

Hope this helps.

carld
01-07-2008, 08:47 AM
I'd like to be able to use the wishlist to mark and remember Kindle books that I've found interesting while browsing around Amazon, as I do with the current wishlist. I can bookmark them but that gets cumbersome pretty quickly.

Alisa
01-07-2008, 12:39 PM
I'd like to be able to use the wishlist to mark and remember Kindle books that I've found interesting while browsing around Amazon, as I do with the current wishlist. I can bookmark them but that gets cumbersome pretty quickly.

I send myself a sample.

AlanF
01-18-2008, 04:10 PM
I'm not sure if I have a software upgrade but I just received my Kindle today Jan 18th (ordered 2 Dec).

When I am browsing the Kindle Store on my Kindle I have the option to SAVE FOR LATER. This is stored on the Kindle and is essentially a personal wish list. Books can be purchased directly from this list. Of course you can't share it with anyone but it does allow you to track books you are thinking of buying.

badgoodDeb
01-23-2008, 06:58 PM
Hey, that's good to know! [ It's also nice to hear when you ordered, and when it got here ... there are a bunch of us on this list still waiting, and this gives us an idea of how they are doing at fulfilling orders. ]

jamesorr
02-20-2008, 02:20 PM
You can't use the wishlist, but once you have the kindle there is a "save for later" option you can use to mark items you want to purchase in the future.

There doesn't appear to be a way to do this on the site itself, only from the kindle.

Choisya
02-21-2008, 03:56 AM
I live in the UK but am thinking of getting a US friend of mine to purchase a Kindle for me to get over the warranty issue. If she also purchased Amazon.com e-books with her card would she be able to email them to me for me to download them? Or could she send me Amazon.com gift cards for me to use on their e-book downloads?

jamesorr
02-22-2008, 09:15 AM
I live in the UK but am thinking of getting a US friend of mine to purchase a Kindle for me to get over the warranty issue. If she also purchased Amazon.com e-books with her card would she be able to email them to me for me to download them? Or could she send me Amazon.com gift cards for me to use on their e-book downloads?

I don't see why not, you can download the kindle files directly from "Your Media Library" on amazon. This is what people in the US who do not have whispernet coverage have to do. You may even be able to register the kindle with your own amazon account and purchase items yourself. They're not selling kindles to people with mailing addresses outside the US, but there may not be any restrictions on registering one. Your friend should buy it as a "gift" purchase and then it won't be pre-registered to her own account (but even if it is, you can still change it).

awesomevegan
11-04-2008, 09:21 AM
I had submitted a CS request about this issue and this is the rather unsatisfactory reply I received:

[INDENT]

However, you can purchase Kindle books that interest you
before your Kindle arrives and they will be ready to download as soon
as you receive your Kindle.

I am getting a Kindle for Christmas. I was wondering if anyone knows if I can send the samples to my Kindle before it is opened and out of the box. (Since I can't open it until Dec 25th.) Any help would be greatly appreciated. If this is possible, do I have to use the USB to transfer the samples? Or will they be there already? I know these may be dumb questions but I was curious. :thanks:

Wheezie
11-04-2008, 09:42 AM
No, you can't add a Kindle book to your wishlist. I contacted Amazon because I was so stumped, and they confirmed that you aren't able to do so via their web site, only from browsing the Kindle store from your device. Many people just send themselves a "sample" of the book to keep it as a wishlist on their Kindle, but I hate all of the clutter.
There is a round-a-bout way that I add it to my wish list on the Amazon site.
When you are looking at a book, it also shows what other formats it comes in, hardback, paperback... just pick one of the "real" book formats and save it to your wishlist, then when you are ready to buy, just pick the Kindle format.
Many people have noticed this and have inquired it seems. I don't understand Amazon's lack of support for this.

I have ordered my Kindle but not received it yet. I really would like to add some ebooks to my wishlist. Christmas is coming and people want to know what to get me. I only have a button to buy the book on their site. I can't seem to add it to my wishlist. I'm hoping that feature will be there if I have a registered Kindle.

pilotbob
11-04-2008, 10:26 AM
I am getting a Kindle for Christmas. I was wondering if anyone knows if I can send the samples to my Kindle before it is opened and out of the box.

Yep, you can. Amazon will queue up any "sends" and as soon as the device jumps on the network they will be downloaded. No USB needed.

BOb

Leep
11-04-2008, 11:07 AM
No, you can't add a Kindle book to your wishlist. I contacted Amazon because I was so stumped, and they confirmed that you aren't able to do so via their web site, only from browsing the Kindle store from your device. Many people just send themselves a "sample" of the book to keep it as a wishlist on their Kindle, but I hate all of the clutter.
There is a round-a-bout way that I add it to my wish list on the Amazon site.
When you are looking at a book, it also shows what other formats it comes in, hardback, paperback... just pick one of the "real" book formats and save it to your wishlist, then when you are ready to buy, just pick the Kindle format.
Many people have noticed this and have inquired it seems. I don't understand Amazon's lack of support for this.
If you open the "rating" window (click on the stars) for your book, you will find an "add to wish list button" - Go figure, but it's there on the right side!

cheers

awesomevegan
11-04-2008, 09:15 PM
Yep, you can. Amazon will queue up any "sends" and as soon as the device jumps on the network they will be downloaded. No USB needed.

BOb

:thanks:
Thanks for your help! I am lucky enough that my wonderful mom decided to let me have my baby early lol! It came today and I have already started reading a new book on it. She also let me buy a book. I chose Nightworld Book 1 as my first book (it has 3 stories in one) It caught my eye in a book store once, but I never got around to buying it. I love it so much already and its only been a few hours!

I have tried a sample and have downloaded the feedbooks guide and will probably download the mobileread one too. Got some free classics ready to go. My mom thinks I am crazy because I told her I am going to attempt hard books like War and Peace.

daffy4u
11-04-2008, 09:19 PM
Congratulations awesomvegan! Your mom rocks! You're a much braver person than I by being willing to tackle "War and Peace". Let us know if you make it. :)

awesomevegan
11-04-2008, 09:27 PM
Congratulations awesomvegan! Your mom rocks! You're a much braver person than I by being willing to tackle "War and Peace". Let us know if you make it. :)

Yes my mom rocks! She is awesome! I am not tackling War and Peace QUITE yet, I am going to do some lighter young adult reading first lol. I am reading NIGHTWORLD Book 1. It has 3 books in one. I don't know if I will read them one after another. I am also reading Twilight for the second time. (see my siggy) Should I be afraid of the classics like War and Peace?

At least if I hate it its public domain. :)

arshield
11-05-2008, 04:05 AM
I went through a russian novels phase. I read Anna Karena and a couple more on an old Palm IIIx. You should be fine.

meglet
02-10-2009, 09:59 PM
I know this is an old post, but I just joined up today, and realized that I have found a way to add Kindle editions to a wishlist. Sort of.

If you have an iPhone or iPod touch, and the Amazon app loaded, you can search for a book title + kindle, and the search result will have an "add to wishlist" button.

I've spent a fair bit of time today building up a wishlist of all the books I want to load on my new Kindle when it arrives.

I've also sent in a feedback email through the Amazon iPhone App, because I'd really like to be able to purchase a Kindle book from my iPhone, for instance if I'm at a friend's house without my Kindle, then I don't have to go though the "add to wishlist, remember to purchase later" dance.

bwaldron
02-11-2009, 12:40 AM
Two ways to add Kindle books to your wishlist:

1. If the book has user reviews, click on the "## user reviews" link, then you will see an "add to wishlist" button in the upper right of the page.

2. Use Amazon's Universal Wish List Button (http://www.amazon.com/wishlist/get-button) in your browser.

ilovejedd
02-13-2009, 09:26 PM
It seems counterproductive not to enable wishlists and gifting of downloadable content. It's a much easier gift to send than physical products. Bandwidth is likely much cheaper than shipping and packaging.

I pre-ordered the Dark Knight on Blu-ray, as such, I was entitled to the free Amazon On-Demand download version. On the movie's release date, Amazon sent me an email with a promotional code to claim the download. Perhaps a similar system might be implemented for gifting Kindle editions? I don't own a Kindle yet, but maybe Kindle owners can band together and request a wishlist system for Kindle ebooks?

Alisa
02-14-2009, 01:09 AM
Two ways to add Kindle books to your wishlist:

1. If the book has user reviews, click on the "## user reviews" link, then you will see an "add to wishlist" button in the upper right of the page.

2. Use Amazon's Universal Wish List Button (http://www.amazon.com/wishlist/get-button) in your browser.

I've really been liking the Universal Wish List button. I was even able to add donations to my local food bank as a wish list item.

jamesorr
02-20-2009, 09:12 AM
You currently can't use amazon gift cards for downloadable things - "Gift Cards cannot be redeemed for purchases of downloadable goods" from the terms and conditions (http://amazon.com/gp/product/B00067L6TQ/#gift-cards-terms-and-conditions).

Actually, you can. I did this after I got some amazon certificates at christmas.

What you can't do is use the certificate as you purchase, but if you simply enter the code at "Apply a Gift Certificate/Card to your account" under "Your Account", then when you buy a kindle book the price is deducted from your available balance rather than your credit card.

desertgrandma
02-20-2009, 09:25 AM

When you get an Amazon GC, you simply go to your account, click on the 'apply to my account', enter the number, and bingo bango......anything ordered, including ebooks, is automatically deducted from the GC first.

Ask me how I know.....:)

pilotbob
02-20-2009, 06:20 PM
Ask me how I know.....:)

Ok, I'm afraid of stepping in the obvious pile of dog crap here but..

How do you know?

BOb

desertgrandma
02-20-2009, 06:40 PM
Ok, I'm afraid of stepping in the obvious pile of dog crap here but..

How do you know?

BOb

Because I"ve applied tons of them to my account? And have downloaded e-books galore.

edit.........I haven't tried music......
They've even come out with a special "kindle" GC........the only difference is that it says "kindle' on the face! :D

LwoodY2K
03-03-2009, 06:11 PM
Actually, you can. I did this after I got some amazon certificates at christmas.

What you can't do is use the certificate as you purchase, but if you simply enter the code at "Apply a Gift Certificate/Card to your account" under "Your Account", then when you buy a kindle book the price is deducted from your available balance rather than your credit card.

To be fair, when I posted the original comment in 2007 it was correct. I'm glad that it changed, though.