View Full Version : Newspapers on Kindle - How are they?

CINCNORAD
11-23-2007, 08:59 PM
Has anyone downloaded the available newspapers on this device? I'm curious about a few things:

-How's the formatting on them? Easy to navigate?

-Are they only partial content -- or do they offer the whole paper in electronic form?

-Are images included in the articles?

Any info would be appreciated...

Nate the great
11-23-2007, 09:07 PM
Has anyone downloaded the available newspapers on this device? I'm curious about a few things:

-How's the formatting on them? Easy to navigate?

-Are they only partial content -- or do they offer the whole paper in electronic form?

-Are images included in the articles?

Any info would be appreciated...

I bought one copy of the Washington Post. It was not complete when compared to my paper subscription. It was acceptable formatted. There were no pictures.

I personally would not bother with the WaPo, but that is just one paper. If there is one you might want, buy a copy and check. It's only $.75.

SanAntone
11-24-2007, 12:23 AM
Actually, you can download the paper for 14 days for free. They don't charge your credit card for 14 days. Nice touch.

rflashman
11-24-2007, 06:27 AM
The NYT is similar to the Washington Post, except that it includes one picture per major article. Acceptable, but leaves you wanting for larger/more pictures and maybe a capture of the home page for a 'visual' overview of the newspaper.

rflashman
12-03-2007, 06:48 AM
I should add that now that I have been using the NYT, there is one key issue that keeps frustrating me. When reading an article there's no way to SKIP to the next article. So you have to sit there paging forward until you get to the end of the article you are in. This seems like something simple to add to the menu.

TallMomof2
12-03-2007, 10:31 AM
rflashman - Can you hit the back button to get back to your article list? That's how I navigate the Washington Post, pick out the article I want to read, finish reading, hit the back button to get back to the article list.

azog
12-03-2007, 11:08 AM
I tried the 14 day trial of the NYT, and canceled it about 4 days in. I'm probably being obstinate, but I did not like the layout. It was easy to navigate (and to address the above, yes, you can press BACK).

rflashman
12-03-2007, 11:19 AM
rflashman - Can you hit the back button to get back to your article list? That's how I navigate the Washington Post, pick out the article I want to read, finish reading, hit the back button to get back to the article list.

It works, but it puts me back in the front page (where I usually started reading articles), not in the page of the article I was reading. So I still have to page foward to find the article I was on.

wallcraft
12-03-2007, 12:19 PM
I should add that now that I have been using the NYT, there is one key issue that keeps frustrating me. When reading an article there's no way to SKIP to the next article. So you have to sit there paging forward until you get to the end of the article you are in. This seems like something simple to add to the menu. Can this be done via the "advanced" progress bar? In a book, if you move the cursor to the progress bar it shows your bookmarks and by default these are the chapters. In this mode, next/prev page becomes next/prev bookmark. See section 3.5 of the User's Guide for more details.

Hadrien
12-03-2007, 01:09 PM
I must say that I'm pretty disappointed by how these newspapers look (based on images+videos).

Les Echos look much better on the iLiad for example.

It's a good thing that the Kindle kickstarted newspapers on e-ink for the US, but I really hope we'll see much better looking newspapers in the future (PDF or epub).

rflashman
12-03-2007, 01:40 PM
Can this be done via the "advanced" progress bar? In a book, if you move the cursor to the progress bar it shows your bookmarks and by default these are the chapters. In this mode, next/prev page becomes next/prev bookmark. See section 3.5 of the User's Guide for more details.

Great idea, if there was a chapter per article, but in the NYT there is only one bookmark, at the start (for the front page/table of contents).

gregr209
12-03-2007, 05:27 PM
I subscribed to the San Francisco Chronicle as soon as I got my Kindle but after having read it over the last several days I am going to cancel. I find there aren't enough articles that I want to read that I couldn't quickly scan on my computer when I'm at work. Plus reading the newspaper on the Kindle just isn't the same as reading a book. I don't really care for it and I'm not sure exactly why.

Oh well...next up I am going to try Time Mag. but I have a feeling it will be somewhat the same experience.

My 2 cents.

Greg

rflashman
12-03-2007, 06:01 PM
Just realized how Amazon probably 'intended' we read the newspaper. This seems to work, though is it different from the linear approach I historically used to read a paper (even electronic):

1. From TOC select 1st article.
2. Read to end or until you've had enough of that article.
3. Select BACK to return to TOC.
4. Select next interesting article.

With this 'method' I can skip out from any article and return to where I was in the TOC. As I said it is quite different from how one normally reads a paper, but it works, and seems to provide a smoother experience.

CINCNORAD
12-03-2007, 08:00 PM
Just realized how Amazon probably 'intended' we read the newspaper. This seems to work, though is it different from the linear approach I historically used to read a paper (even electronic):

1. From TOC select 1st article.
2. Read to end or until you've had enough of that article.
3. Select BACK to return to TOC.
4. Select next interesting article.

With this 'method' I can skip out from any article and return to where I was in the TOC. As I said it is quite different from how one normally reads a paper, but it works, and seems to provide a smoother experience.

Yup -- that's how I've been using it. I've had the subscription about a week, and haven't had any problems. I'm much happier reading the paper this way, versus the traditional ink-stained hands experience I'm used to...

TallMomof2
12-05-2007, 11:45 AM
I'd rather have some pictures with my Washington Post but other than that I'm pretty satisfied with the Kindle edition.

rflashman
12-05-2007, 02:04 PM
I'd like to see the front page as a front page bitmap so I can get a glance of what the paper looks like. Some subtle things like type size/emphasis are only visible when you "see" the paper.

brianfcox
03-09-2009, 12:37 AM
If the newspaper support of the Kindle improved that would be a kindle tipping point for me. I'm looking for a better way to read the paper rather than having it delivered to me on dead trees. I want the portability of the kindle, so using a newspaper portal just doesn't do it for me.
I currently own an Iliad and its newspaper support and synchronization is pathetic. Giving the Iliad a wifi interface but doing nothing with it is a crime against customers

mulderc
03-09-2009, 01:20 AM
I use to get the WSJ on my Kindle 1, but honestly the experience was terrible. Would much rather just read it online.

Right now for my mobile newspaper needs i use the NYT app on my ipod touch. It is pretty impressive.

TallMomof2
03-09-2009, 10:10 AM
I don't when it changed but the Washington Post has pictures! With the new navigation on the Kindle 2, it's well worth the subscription price to me.

askenase13
05-19-2009, 11:52 AM
I think the DX will change newspapers on the Kindle- given time! It MAy have a page display. I also expect more papers to be available for the DX.

sirbruce
05-19-2009, 12:31 PM
With the five-way controller if there's an article you don't like you just hit right to skip to the next one... I find I rarely use the TOC.

weatherman
06-01-2009, 05:45 PM
I read the NY Times daily on my Kindle, and it's the main reason I got it (as a replacement for my Sony PRS-500). I find the experience incredibly easy and efficient, and from the research I've done it would seem that the NY Times Kindle Edition has the same content as the NY Times digital print edition. That is different than the online version, since the latter updates over the course of the day, but I actually prefer the fact that it's "static" for one day, since it means that I'm always returning to the same list of articles that I started with. Maybe eventually I'd crave an "evening edition" or something, but I'm not that much of a news junkie - I'd rather have better, deeper articles than just a set of 200-300 word updates or alerts.

I navigate the times by going to the TOC and then selecting the list of articles, rather than going through the articles one by one. This is done (for those who don't know) by moving the cursor under the number next to the section name. The number indicates how many articles are in that section. Selecting this gives a list of headlines and excerpts from articles in that section. When you select an article you can read just that one or continue to browse linearly from there. Hit the "back" button and it goes back to the list of articles. Hit "back" again and it goes to the TOC.

I find that reading the newspaper on the Kindle is much faster and much more efficient, and I really like being able to clip articles from the paper digitally. For my needs, it's the killer app of the Kindle.

pwjone1
06-07-2009, 08:20 AM
I read the NY Times daily on my Kindle, and it's the main reason I got it (as a replacement for my Sony PRS-500). I find the experience incredibly easy and efficient, and from the research I've done it would seem that the NY Times Kindle Edition has the same content as the NY Times digital print edition. That is different than the online version, since the latter updates over the course of the day, but I actually prefer the fact that it's "static" for one day, since it means that I'm always returning to the same list of articles that I started with. Maybe eventually I'd crave an "evening edition" or something, but I'm not that much of a news junkie - I'd rather have better, deeper articles than just a set of 200-300 word updates or alerts.

I navigate the times by going to the TOC and then selecting the list of articles, rather than going through the articles one by one. This is done (for those who don't know) by moving the cursor under the number next to the section name. The number indicates how many articles are in that section. Selecting this gives a list of headlines and excerpts from articles in that section. When you select an article you can read just that one or continue to browse linearly from there. Hit the "back" button and it goes back to the list of articles. Hit "back" again and it goes to the TOC.

I find that reading the newspaper on the Kindle is much faster and much more efficient, and I really like being able to clip articles from the paper digitally. For my needs, it's the killer app of the Kindle.

Generally, I would agree, the Kindle developers obviously gave it a lot of thought, and with a little experience and experimentation (using the joystick, for example, "clipping" articles), it is, if anything, much easier and cheaper to read than the printed version. On the whole, this is very close to the killer ap that everyone's after, in terms of ebook readers (epaper readers? ;-). And certainly the Kindle paper is much cheaper than the printed one (I suppose because of materials and distribution costs). The thing too, that I always hated about the NYT and most any other paper was the dreaded "continued on page...". Especially on a plane or other confined reading space, or just on the kitchen table, going in to finish off an article is a pain. And then you're back and forth, may miss something, etc.

But I do have a couple of caveats, in terms of my reading newspapers on Kindle. Hopefully these will get addressed with the DX, or when NYT and Amazon bundle in the fall. The first is a small caveat, there are times when the ads are not so bad, convey info I wouldn't mind having, so they should work out something where the advertisers pay to have them downloaded, to offset the cell cost, or have them computer loaded, whatever. Don't screw up the articles, keep those in one piece, but a nice to have. The bigger caveat, is that with the NYT, they drop a lot of graphical content. Pictures come through sometimes, they need to be 100%, if it's printed, it should be Kindled. And graphs. A picture is worth a thousand words. If it doesn't fit in the cell download model, charge more, or let me get it via computer (cannot be that much at the server level).

About being able to look over a whole printed page, at a glance, maybe, but the table of contents works mostly for me. I should note, however, my wife is a bit more the Luddite, and probably the reason we'll continue to have a printed subscription for some time. She likes to read the NYT on nights and weekends, when we have more time, she can backup in terms of when she gets to it for weeks, months, sometimes I suspect years. She reads only certain sections, but she reads them thoroughly. Seems like she'll never adopt to the Kindle model of a "Daily" newspaper. But maybe Amazon and NYT can actually turn that around a bit, storing the papers is actually a PITA, and they could develop a more download-section-on-demand model, say where a user could go get all the entertainment or food or book sections for a week, or keep the daily, but mark what's read better. This could actually turn also to Kindle's competitive advantage with a little bit more programming.

PBelfatto
06-10-2009, 12:29 AM
I am neither a technophile nor a technophobe and am considering a kindle primarily for reading major market newspapers. What kind of cost is involved beyond the purchase price? Is there a subscription cost for the internet access? Can you buy newspapers/magazines/books an issue at a time or must you subscribe? Any info you can provide would be great. Thanks!!!!

Pati

TallMomof2
06-10-2009, 01:28 PM
The price Amazon charges is per month and they let you try out the subscription at no cost for 14 days. The monthly charge is the only charge.

kevindorsey
06-12-2009, 06:18 PM
I think more and more newspapers will be added, as the whole newspaper business is suffering and they are looking for more ways to get subscribers.

fugazied
06-12-2009, 11:00 PM
Most of the newspapers appear to be missing little bits of content and have no or limited images. I prefer using the newspaper websites instead of the Kindle. Even the way the iphone navigates through newspaper websites is nicer than the Kindle.

I just use the Kindle for reading books.