View Full Version : Replacement Case

rflashman
11-23-2007, 01:34 PM
The case that came with it really bites...

1. It can't fold back
2. The Kimble lifts from the right side
3. It always wants to close

I really miss the really nice SONY case. Can't wait until a proper 3rd party case appears for this device.

SanAntone
11-23-2007, 02:18 PM
Mine folds back just fine.

I would like a new or different option though.

Nate the great
11-23-2007, 02:33 PM
I pretty much gave up using the Kindle in the case. I always remove it. Then I turn the case sideways and use it to prop up the Kindle while web browsing.

TallMomof2
11-23-2007, 03:03 PM
Mine seems to work okay but I may use some velcro to make it a little more secure.

rflashman
11-23-2007, 06:22 PM
Mine folds back just fine.

I would like a new or different option though.

Aha, got it to fold back, just had to force it past some scary sounding 'cardboard craking' noises... now it folds back... I still want something better too.

bspooky
11-24-2007, 10:15 AM
I suggest we continue to all contact case makers for other products to ask for one made for the Kindle. I have already contacted vaja (www.vajacases.com) which make stunning products for PDAs, Phones, etc. and I loved their case for my Palm back in the day.

Piel Frama and EB Cases would be a couple others to suggest to, but I like Vaja. If enough of us contact them maybe they will make one!

Alisa
11-29-2007, 07:50 PM
I'm actually enjoying reading it in the case not folded back. Feels rather book-like to me. I certainly wouldn't mind something a bit more luxe, though.

gasusan
11-30-2007, 06:50 PM
I would love an excuse to get another Vaja case :) I am still waiting for my Kindle to arrive.... supposedly December 4 (fingers crossed)

Susan

azog
11-30-2007, 08:24 PM
Someone elsewhere posted about http://www.buymedge.com/. They've already got a Gen3 cover, maybe in a little while they'll have a Kindle cover? I've dropped them a query about it. I've never purchased from them.

azog
12-05-2007, 06:28 PM
Well, just an update to my above: they replied back, and they say they'll probably have a cover for the Kindle by the end of this month or early January.

Alisa
12-06-2007, 02:37 PM
I would love it if they found a way to border the screen. I think it would improve the contrast. It seems it would be hard with the left side buttons, though.

Alisa
12-08-2007, 01:14 PM
Oh, and another thing that would kick butt: integrate a nice, small LED booklight into it.

sfernald
12-10-2007, 01:39 PM
Hey you guys don't leave the cardboard in there do you? I ripped that out assuming it was just for shipping purposes.

It works fine for me without the cardboard. I use it every day with the cover.

Alisa
12-10-2007, 01:42 PM
Yeah. I find it stays in quite well if you make sure that little tab in the back is hooked into the back of the Kindle.

rflashman
12-10-2007, 02:12 PM
Occassionally the 'little tab' takes the back off my kindle, exposing the battery. Not often, but has happened 2-3 times.

WilliamG
12-10-2007, 04:08 PM
I'm in desperate need of a case for the Kindle. The enclosed one is a piece of crap, really.

Alisa
12-10-2007, 04:19 PM
I just got an email from www.buymedge.com and they said they expect to have one out by mid January.

WilliamG
12-10-2007, 04:23 PM
Not expecting much from the company that brought out this:

http://www.buymedge.com/p_sonyreader_sleeve.HTML

Yuck!

Alisa
12-10-2007, 04:48 PM
True, that is dire but this isn't too bad:

http://www.buymedge.com/images/Cybook/Medge-Cybook-3_web.JPG

jpeter1093
12-28-2007, 08:17 AM
Occassionally the 'little tab' takes the back off my kindle, exposing the battery. Not often, but has happened 2-3 times.

I don't see the 'little tab'. Just the slight bump on the right inside cover...is that what you're referring to?

jmdor
01-02-2008, 01:58 PM
It's a plastic tab in the center of the cover buy the carboard bumpouts that you slide your kindle into. My tab extended too far, and kept pushing off the back. Amazon is sending me a new cover. (I was able to tell by comparing twith the cover that my mother got with her kindle -- a difference of 2 mm easy).

geoelectric
01-18-2008, 03:17 AM
Interesting, re: "cardboard bumpouts," etc. I'm pretty sure that cardboard insert's just for shipping to keep the spine/corner-restraints from getting crumpled. I pulled it out first thing, cover fits and folds great on my Kindle.

KlondikeGeoff
01-22-2008, 08:06 PM
Hey you guys don't leave the cardboard in there do you? I ripped that out assuming it was just for shipping purposes.

It works fine for me without the cardboard. I use it every day with the cover.

What cardboard are you referring to? The thin
strip that ran down the inside spine of the cover? If so, I took that out right away.

However, unlike the Sony cover, mine (only two days old) does not want to bend back a'tall. I'll keep trying to see if it loosens up.

I like the cover opened half way while reading on my back. Can just put it on my stomach and it sits there without having to hold it.

However, while sitting, I'd like it folded back. Can I really force it back without ruining anything?

geoelectric
01-23-2008, 07:31 PM
However, while sitting, I'd like it folded back. Can I really force it back without ruining anything?

Yep. There's nothing in there to ruin, just leather.

Geo

Alisa
01-24-2008, 02:21 PM
I just checked www.buymedge.com for an update on covers and they're now saying mid-February. *sigh*

yvanleterrible
01-24-2008, 02:27 PM
Yep. There's nothing in there to ruin, just leather.

GeoIronic thought!

They've built the reader to stop us using dead trees only to have them surrounded by dead cows...

KlondikeGeoff
02-01-2008, 07:38 PM
Yep. There's nothing in there to ruin, just leather.Geo

I kept folding the cover back time and again trying to get it to loosen up, but it never really did. Besides which, had the same trouble with trying to get the Kindle to stay in the cover. If I pushed down hard enough to engage the tab, the back came off exposing the battery. In addition, the cover did not fold properly, not being parallel with the back part of the cover. Also, it did not want to stay closed.

Finally wrote Amazon and they sent me a new one. Looks exactly the same, but very easily folds back, and closes properly. So, obviously there is quite a difference in covers.

It still sucks as far as keeping the device in it. Only fix is to pull the elastic band around the top or bottom right side edge.

Can't wait for somebody to make a good one!

cinabar
02-06-2008, 09:57 PM
Bought a small package of velcro fasteners each one is a square about a half inch on a side from Ace Hardware. Put on on each of the two corners opposite the "indentation" on the back cover and it holds quite well. Cover still sucks but there's no chance of it falling out.

PHugger
02-07-2008, 09:10 AM
I just saw this thread over at Engadget and thought it might interest some Kindlers -
http://www.engadget.com/2008/02/07/kindle-bags-its-first-accessories-from-waterfield/

PCH

Just4Fun
02-10-2008, 07:41 PM
From ebooknerd:

M-edge finally has the new Kindle cover ready to order and shipping on March 1, 2008.

Very, very nice!

http://www.buymedge.com/index.html

This looks like a great option. The back of the Kindle is also apparently accessible. That would be helpful. I don't mind the cover that is shipped with the Kindle, but I thought I would pass ebooknerd's information on in this thread too. HTHs.

KlondikeGeoff
02-17-2008, 11:32 AM
This looks like a great option. The back of the Kindle is also apparently accessible. That would be helpful. I don't mind the cover that is shipped with the Kindle, but I thought I would pass ebooknerd's information on in this thread too. HTHs.

I've been considering this cover, as can't keep my device in the cover, but hesitated because of the cost.

After putting it off for a while and only using the elastic band to keep it in the case, finally got a pack of Velcro and put one 3/4 inch piece on the lower right corner. It works like a charm. Big relief not worrying about it falling out all the time. Just saved $38 (cost of that cover less the Velcro) :D

janiebegood
03-02-2008, 09:01 PM
I've never had my Kindle fall out of the case, so I haven't needed the Velcro tab or to put the elastic over the bottom right edge. I do like to bend the back cover all the way and secure it with the elastic band -- I do that when I'm walking on the treadmill at the gym.

I've considered buying the MEdge cover, because I like the idea of a place to put the SD card and a business card with my contact info on it, in case I leave it somewhere, but now i'm kind of hooked on being able to flip the cover back completely and it doesn't look like the MEdge cover will allow that. Has anyone received theirs yet?

dkb
03-02-2008, 11:51 PM
I would really love it if this company made a cover. I've been tempted to buy one and try to adapt it myself.

http://oberondesign.com/shop/cart.php?m=product_list&c=30

badgoodDeb
03-03-2008, 02:30 PM
I would really love it if this company made a cover. I've been tempted to buy one and try to adapt it myself.

http://oberondesign.com/shop/cart.php?m=product_list&c=30

Ooooo - my check book wishes you hadn't posted that URL!! Yummmm.

I wonder if they could be persuaded to make such a cover, with 4 corner clips/elastics. Such that it would work for a Kindle and/or the other ebook devices. :idea:

jacksonunit
03-04-2008, 09:49 PM
Andy wants.

I really like the "Bold Celtic" cover. I don't know if I like it seventy bucks worth but I would if it were kindle ready.

Or maybe one that looked like this...

http://www.mikebrownsolutions.com/bible03.jpg

TallMomof2
03-06-2008, 11:10 AM
I received my new case from MEdge yesterday. I really like this case because it's red, feels nice, holds the Kindle very securely, and has interior holders for a pen/pencil, memory cards, etc..

All four corners of the Kindle are secured and the upper right hand corner has elastic so that you can easily slip it off and access the switches on the back. The front cover folds back completely without any ominous crackling noises.

This is what the Amazon case should have been.

The actual color is closer to the first picture.

Alisa
03-06-2008, 01:44 PM
So how does the front strap secure to keep the case closed? Sadly MEdge's site isn't the most informative.

azog
03-06-2008, 02:28 PM
I see I wasn't the first. I got my m-edge case today, and 10 minutes tells me I am 100% more satisfied with this, than the default Amazon cover...

http://www.azog.org/m-edge-1.jpg

http://www.azog.org/m-edge-2.jpg

http://www.azog.org/m-edge-3.jpg

badgoodDeb
03-06-2008, 03:41 PM
Okay, you've convinced me. I ordered a red one, for my birthday! P.S. Shipping is $4.99 through amazon.com, or $8 through the medge web site. Either way, the order goes to medge.

jacksonunit
03-06-2008, 06:12 PM
These look pretty durn well made. I'd get one if I knew for sure the brown was more "saddle" than "chocolate" brown.

jmdor
03-07-2008, 09:18 AM
The medge definitely folds back all the way, which is quite nice. I thought the little band at the top corner would keep pressing on the next page button, but it doesn't. It's fantastic compared to the original cover!

TallMomof2
03-07-2008, 12:05 PM
Oh yeah, the cover is really nice. And the red is great so it doesn't get lost in my bag.

OT: I once bought DH a really cool rolling backpack for his laptop. The outside was a conservative black but the interior was orange. He could always find anything in that backpack because of the contrast between the orange and everything else.

Alisa
03-07-2008, 04:22 PM
These look pretty durn well made. I'd get one if I knew for sure the brown was more "saddle" than "chocolate" brown.

dkb posted a picture of his brown cover. (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21619)

I don't know if I'd call it "saddle" but it's definitely not chocolate. That's the color I was interested in, too.

badgoodDeb
03-07-2008, 07:48 PM
.... it's definitely not chocolate

That really depends on what kind of chocolate you eat. That could be a milk chocolate..... Ooo, now you're making me hungry!

janiebegood
03-08-2008, 01:14 PM
Okay, you've convinced me. I ordered a red one, for my birthday! P.S. Shipping is $4.99 through amazon.com, or $8 through the medge web site. Either way, the order goes to medge.

Thanks for that tip on cheaper shipping, badgoodDeb! I just ordered the red one!

And TallMomof2, I'm glad to hear you can bend back the front cover. I have enough room on the treadmill ledge to put it flat out if necessary, but I like having it folded back.