View Full Version : New Kindletalk website taken down

SanAntone
11-23-2007, 11:20 AM
There was a new Kindle website: www.kindletalk.com that looks like it lasted 4 days. It didn't have much traffic at all and the formatting of the forums was horrible.

I find it interesting that if you click on it now, it goes straight to the Amazon Kindle page. My guess is that with a name like kindletalk.com, the attorneys at Amazon took offense at their capitalizing on their registered trademark.

Oh well...it highlighted to me how much I enjoy the diversity of this site and the discussions about multiple devices rather than simply a fanboy website.

vivaldirules
11-23-2007, 12:10 PM
I visited it the two days ago and it was pitiful - void of info and hosted by a moderator who didn't seem to know anything. It was a smart move to nuke it.

chrisc
11-23-2007, 01:59 PM
So, was the site taken down by Amazon, as your title says, or do you just think it was?

strangeseraph
11-23-2007, 02:37 PM
Proving that nothing can beat the awesomeness of Mobileread.com for news and chatter. :) Heheheh.

Wonder how many of these little sites will splinter up.

SanAntone
11-23-2007, 02:48 PM
Well...when you go to the former website it now redirects you to Amazon's kindle page. Hmmmmmm.

HarryT
11-23-2007, 03:14 PM
It's undeniably true that it's been taken down. It's the "... by Amazon" bit I'm not so sure one can be definite about :). Would you like me to remove the last two words from the thread title for you?

TadW
11-23-2007, 03:26 PM
The whole domain got taken over by Amazon, as a whois on kindletalk.com reveals:

http://www.whois.sc/kindletalk.com

Administrative Contact:
Amazon Technologies, Inc.
Amazon Hostmaster
P.O. Box 8102
Reno, NV 89507
US
Phone: +1.2062664064
Email: Whois Privacy and Spam Prevention by DomainTools.com

SanAntone
11-23-2007, 03:36 PM
Harry,

Sure--might make it more accurate.

NatCh
11-23-2007, 06:45 PM
The former proprietors took the trouble to come here and tell us that they were unassociated with Amazon. Wonder if they might drop by again and explain what happened .... :shrug:

KlondikeGeoff
11-28-2007, 11:39 AM
Last week I registered on the kindletalk.com forum. Then, for a day or two when clicked on the bookmark, just got an error screen. Now, when click on that, it goes directly to the amazon.com page.

Anybody know wha' hoppon?

JSWolf
11-28-2007, 11:51 AM
Last week I registered on the kindletalk.com forum. Then, for a day or two when clicked on the bookmark, just got an error screen. Now, when click on that, it goes directly to the amazon.com page.

Anybody know wha' hoppon?
Read this thread for any possible answers.

NatCh
11-28-2007, 12:07 PM
The whole domain got taken over by Amazon, as a whois on kindletalk.com reveals:

http://www.whois.sc/kindletalk.com

Administrative Contact:
Amazon Technologies, Inc.
Amazon Hostmaster
P.O. Box 8102
Reno, NV 89507
US
Phone: +1.2062664064
Email: Whois Privacy and Spam Prevention by DomainTools.com

What would have been really interesting is to see the same search while the forum was operational ... but we'd've had to know in advance that it was going to get pulled. :shrug:

Dave Berk
11-28-2007, 03:44 PM
I think somebody did that at the time (nate the great?, can't recall) and found that Amazon was hosting the site, then the admin of site posted here and said they weren't affiliated with amazon or some such...

mores
11-29-2007, 01:12 AM
back in the days of domaingrabbing, this was quite a lucrative thing to do.
register a domain that you think will probably be useful to some big corporation some day.

like iphone.com :)
or eink.com

back then people could charge a lot of money to hand over the domain.

now, with all kinds of laws in effect, this is hard to do. i guess amazon decided that kindletalk.com is a good thing to have so they probably paid the owner the 9 dollar registration fee for a year and asked him to hand it over to amazon.

unless his name is one Mr. Kindle Talk ....

:)