View Full Version : Tips, Tricks, and Hints

Nate the great
11-22-2007, 05:06 PM
1. The Kindle web browser has two modes.

The default mode is a very simple browser that strips out the background, flash, etc. to show a page that is certain to be readable. This can take as much as 5 times as many screen pages to display.

The advanced mode treats the screen like a 600 by 800 monitor, and shows everthing.

Whenever you are viewing a page, try both modes. One might be better than the other.

2. Sometimes a page won't load right because Javascript is not enabled.

3. It is possible to browse from your Kindle and download ebooks. Some sites that will work on the Kindle are:

www.gutenberg.net
www.munsey's.com
www.webscriptions.net

Nate the great
11-22-2007, 05:09 PM
So far as I can tell, the Kindle does not have a jump to page function. But a way around that is to speedily click the next page button multiple times. If you do it say, 6 times, it will jump 6 pages.

EDIT: Okay, I was wrong. It does have a search by location.

rflashman
11-23-2007, 12:35 PM
So far as I can tell, the Kindle does not have a jump to page function. But a way around that is to speedily click the next page button multiple times. If you do it say, 6 times, it will jump 6 pages.

Yes it does... MENU -> "Go to Location..."

It's documented on the documentation too.

gteague
11-25-2007, 08:14 PM
i saw this on one of the kindle screen savers. i didn't remember seeing it in the user guide, but sure enough it is in there. so just in case others missed it i'll post it here and ask a question: why isn't '@dict <xxxx>' one of the choices?

Tip: You can also search any of the remote locations directly by typing shortcuts into the Search line. The format for the shortcuts is to type the @ character followed by the remote destination and then the search term. For instance, to search the Kindle Store for trees, enter @store trees in the Search line. This will take you directly to the Kindle Store search results page for trees. Other shortcuts are @wiki and @web.

Just4Fun
11-25-2007, 10:05 PM
Hi,

I've been a lurker here for a long time.Thank you for providing a great place to find intelligent information regarding e-books and e-book readers.

I think that you might find this tip interesting: :bulb2::bulb2::bulb2:
(taken from Kindle answers from the Kindle team at Amazon.com)

"Suggestion from a customer (Thank you!):
A number of people have complained that it's impossible to close the flap of the Kindle's cover without pressing one of the navigation buttons. I've found an easy solution for this: I simply put my Kindle to sleep before closing the cover. To do this, simply press Alt+AA as though you were waking it from sleep. (I wonder how many other undocumented features we're going to discover!)"

gteague
11-25-2007, 10:36 PM
won't mount nor charge when connected via usb and in the 'off' condition.

perhaps this is too obvious to post, but i for one would have thought it would trickle charge in that state.

/guy

rflashman
11-26-2007, 05:05 AM
(I wonder how many other undocumented features we're going to discover!)

That feature is documented, I learned of it reading the manual.

Just4Fun
11-26-2007, 09:12 PM
OK. Thanks rflashman.

Sorry that I posted. I don't have my Kindle yet and the Amazon Technicians seemed unaware of the feature since a user mentioned it. Anyway, I tried to delete my post, but couldn't find an option to do it. Again, sorry for the inconvenience.

zartemis
11-27-2007, 01:54 AM
Sorry that I posted.

No need to apologize, some folks don't read the manual, or skim and overlook, or forget because when they read it they didn't think they'd ever need that function.

E.g. I just learned of two ways to display time on the device (3 if you count settings), maybe these were in the manual, maybe not:

First, when reading a book, press Alt-T. This will replace the locations listing with a written description of the time (e.g. "seventeen to nine"). Second, on any screen press the search button and enter "@time". The latter gives the date as well.

rflashman
11-27-2007, 07:22 AM
E.g. I just learned of two ways to display time on the device (3 if you count settings), maybe these were in the manual, maybe not:

First, when reading a book, press Alt-T. This will replace the locations listing with a written description of the time (e.g. "seventeen to nine"). Second, on any screen press the search button and enter "@time". The latter gives the date as well.

Oh, that Alt-T is nice! Where did you learn that one?

rflashman
11-27-2007, 07:23 AM
OK. Thanks rflashman.

Sorry that I posted. I don't have my Kindle yet and the Amazon Technicians seemed unaware of the feature since a user mentioned it. Anyway, I tried to delete my post, but couldn't find an option to do it. Again, sorry for the inconvenience.

No need to apologize! That's the purpose of a forum like this, everyone gets to throw their two-cents in. :)

Hadrien
11-27-2007, 07:27 AM
I've been wondering about something: Does the browser on the Kindle support OpenSearch extensions (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenSearch) ? We have OpenSearch description files on Feedbooks, and this could be a cool way to search for content using the Kindle.

runciter
11-27-2007, 12:19 PM
Some of the tips/tricks have already been posted on this thread, but this is (supposed to be) the permalink to Amazon's Tips and Tricks page: linky (http://www.amazon.com/gp/blog/post/PLNKYIB4EKSD5OSG?pf_rd_p=299049401&pf_rd_s=center-12&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=133141011&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=06C9GMVSZMV1B737YN4Q)

tklaus
11-27-2007, 11:58 PM
Dropping your MP3-based podcasts into the 'Audible' folder on your Kindle or SD memory card will allow you to see the podcast in Home. When opened, you can bookmark, pause, fast forward, etc., just like you do with an audiobook.

This tip (from the Amazon Tips & Tricks page, thanks runciter!) seems to be a way around the normally random play of mp3's. It sounds like by putting your mp3's in the Audible directory you can actually select what you want to listen to, can someone with a Kindle in hand confirm that that's the case?

zartemis
11-28-2007, 12:50 AM
This tip (from the Amazon Tips & Tricks page, thanks runciter!) seems to be a way around the normally random play of mp3's. It sounds like by putting your mp3's in the Audible directory you can actually select what you want to listen to, can someone with a Kindle in hand confirm that that's the case?

I posted about this here (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16616), and unfortunately was not able to get it to work.

Also, it lists the mp3s track by track, there is no grouping, even if you put them in folders (although it did find them all in folders). The Economist mp3s for one issue were on 70+ tracks, which cluttered up the listing too much and there was no way to get them queued to play, you had to wait for one track to finish and then select the next. Not good for playing through my car stereo which is how I'd hoped to use it.

But in my case, they didn't produce sound, so I didn't fiddle with it more.

tsgreer
11-28-2007, 04:35 PM
Some things I have found handy (may have been discussed elsewhere):

Alt-B (automatically bookmarks page--for me faster than using scroll wheel)

Alt-"number" (allows faster navagation if you have several home pages. Rather than clicking 7 times to get to the 7th page of book listings, I would Alt-7. Way faster.)

zartemis
11-28-2007, 04:43 PM
Alt-"number" (allows faster navagation if you have several home pages. Rather than clicking 7 times to get to the 7th page of book listings, I would Alt-7. Way faster.)

You don't need the Alt, just press the number.

tsgreer
11-28-2007, 04:53 PM

Oh wow really? For some reason that doesn't work for me. Hmmm....

tsgreer
11-28-2007, 04:56 PM

I reset and now it works. Thanks!

zartemis
11-28-2007, 10:47 PM
I reset and now it works. Thanks!

Excellent. Your experience prompted me to retry playing mp3s via the audible folder after a reset. I copied both a music file and another Economist recording (spoken word) to the Audible folder. The music file played but the Economist recording did not.

I looked at the mp3s to see what was different and the Economist recording is in mono. To see if that was the problem I edited the mp3 and created a fake stereo version of it (just duplicating the sound to both left and right channels) and sure enough, now the Kindle would play it.

Silly bug. They should play mono mp3s. I'll report it to them.

Nate the great
11-30-2007, 08:38 AM
If you scroll up one notch from the bottom and click, you will be able to use the Next/Previous page buttons to jump through the bookmarks in the ebook.

Alisa
12-06-2007, 07:44 PM
This may seem like a no-brainer to some but I notice quite a few complaints on various sites about the kindle not staying in the case while reading. You can loop the elastic strap over the bottom right corner. Keeps it in place nicely. I fold it a tiny bit to keep it from bumping the font button.

zartemis
12-18-2007, 11:58 PM
In addition to the menu bar, which lets you page through the bookmarks, or pick a number [1, 2 ..., 9, 0] to go to that tenth of the book, there are two shortcuts to jump ahead and back: ALT-Next Page will jump ahead 5% of the book and ALT-Prev Page will jump back 5%.

Found the shortcuts listed on the Amazon site forums and tested them out.

igorsk
12-21-2007, 11:23 AM
Check out the features and shortcuts I discovered ("Bonus content" section of the post):
http://igorsk.blogspot.com/2007/12/hacking-kindle-part-3-root-shell-and.html

Nate the great
12-21-2007, 12:56 PM
Check out the features and shortcuts I discovered ("Bonus content" section of the post):
http://igorsk.blogspot.com/2007/12/hacking-kindle-part-3-root-shell-and.html

I don't usually say this to anyone, but igorsk, I love you!!!

P.S. The Google Maps shortcut takes me to the right page, but says my location is not available.

Hadrien
01-02-2008, 05:39 PM
Another useful feature on the Kindle: you can create hyperlinks in a Mobipocket file
That's how I created the Kindle download guide: http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17465

Unfortunately, this doesn't work with oeb:redirect, you cannot create a link to another book on your device.

markbot
01-05-2008, 09:23 AM
anyone figure out way to edit the screen saver pictures? as in add more.

igorsk
01-07-2008, 09:14 AM
Use picture viewer and then press Alt-Shift-0 on desired image to add it to user screensaver list.

tsgreer
01-07-2008, 02:17 PM
Use picture viewer and then press Alt-Shift-0 on desired image to add it to user screensaver list.

This works great if you are using your picture viewer. Just be aware that it will make only that pic your screen saver--it won't cycle through them.

To get back your regular default rotating screen saver pics, you just reset the Kindle.

Nate the great
01-07-2008, 02:21 PM
This works great if you are using your picture viewer. Just be aware that it will make only that pic your screen saver--it won't cycle through them.

To get back your regular default rotating screen saver pics, you just reset the Kindle.

Oh, goody! I'm going to use it to make a "property of" screen.

igorsk
01-07-2008, 03:02 PM
Um, actually you can have several user pictures for screensaver, and Kindle does retain them on reset (they're stored in system/screen_saver directory of the mass storage partition).
See also a discussion on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Artists-and-Screen-saver/forum/FxBVKST06PWP9B/TxQX13Y17TZR04/).

tsgreer
01-07-2008, 03:31 PM
Um, actually you can have several user pictures for screensaver, and Kindle does retain them on reset (they're stored in system/screen_saver directory of the mass storage partition).
See also a discussion on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Artists-and-Screen-saver/forum/FxBVKST06PWP9B/TxQX13Y17TZR04/).

Oh sorry! I didn't know that, good find. :smack:

tsgreer
01-07-2008, 04:00 PM

How do you access this storage partition? I look on my Kindle, look in the system folder and there is no directory by that name. I have four folders in the system folder: Browers, Logs, NowNow, Search Indexes.

igorsk
01-07-2008, 06:12 PM
The directory appears after you actually set a user picture as screensaver.

Kingston
01-24-2008, 09:31 AM
From the Kindle WordPress blog:

Jump to beginning or end of Kindle Home menu or a Kindle Book

For Home Menu:

On your Home menu, if you hold down the Next Page button for about a second before releasing it, the Kindle will jump to the end of the list. Similarly, holding the Previous Page button will jump to the beginning.

For a Book:

1. While in the eBook, roll your select roller up from the “menu” one notch (so it is over the progress bar) and click it. You will get a ruler showing all of the bookmarks (as tabs) and a representation of the number (1, 2, … 0) keys. If you have set no, or few, bookmarks, simply press the “next page” bar and you will zoom to the end.
1. If you have set bookmarks, press the “0″ key to move close to the end, and then press the “next page” bar. The numeral keys will move you to relative positions in the text.
2. Alternatively, you can always go into the “menu” and select “Go to Location.” By putting in a location number greater than the maximum that shows (e.g., something like “9999″), you will go directly to the end.

http://thekindle.wordpress.com/2008/01/22/jump-to-beginning-or-end-of-home-menu-or-for-a-book/

GatorDeb
01-27-2008, 11:41 AM
How do you actually -start- the web browser? Thanks :)

wallcraft
01-27-2008, 12:03 PM
On the home page, click on menu > experimental > basic web.

GatorDeb
01-27-2008, 12:31 PM

snookums
02-04-2008, 06:58 PM
Here's a trick you can use to get a line of text flush with the top of the screen.

1. Roll the cursor up to the line that you want.
2. Click and add a highlight. Just highlight the next line or whatever you want.
3. Click menu and go to "My Notes & Marks"
4. Choose the appropriate highlight.
5. The highlighted text will now be flush with the top of the screen.
6. You can remove the highlight by clicking on it if you don't want to keep it.

I wish a partial page scroll keyboard shortcut was found, but this will have to do for now.

HUskerMn
02-08-2008, 03:44 PM
Is there any way to get the browser to 'do frames'?

TIA

Nate the great
02-08-2008, 03:48 PM
Have you switched it to "advanced mode"?

HUskerMn
02-15-2008, 07:29 AM
Yep. Apparently, that allows for JavaScript, but not Frames.

Thanks.

Paul in Saudi
02-21-2008, 10:15 AM
The battery life of the Kindle is an excellent feature. That said, all my exciting moments have been due to a flat battery.
-As already noted, it will not charge while in USB Drive mode. In fact it (somehow) uses power and will die if you leave it on your computer all night without the power cord.
-If you leave the Whispernet on while on a commercial flight (Hey, I forgot!) the battery will go flat.
-If all else fails, do not panic, and plug the fool thing in. In my case, this step has always cleared up the problem.

maxsimonead7
03-21-2011, 11:12 PM
Hey, I'm helping my grandma out with the Kindle since we just bought it for her for her 85th birthday... is there anyway I can make the books she's read have a checkmark or some kind of mark next to them to signify that she has read it or not? Thanks

TheKindleWorm
03-22-2011, 04:15 AM
Hi and welcome to mobileread :)

I almost missed your question since it's in a very old thread from 2007.

A quick answer to your question is no - you cannot mark books off as read.

Most people either delete books from the Kindle once read (any you've got from Amazon can still be downloaded again) OR file them away into a "Read" or "Completed" collection.

A 'collection' can help to organise the books you have on your Kindle. They work a bit like folders on a computer although they are technically not folders but actually labels which are assigned to each book. For instance, I have a collection called 'Reading Now' which is where (you probably guessed) I store all the books I'm currently reading. It's a way of grouping books together.

To set up a collection on your Kindle, make sure you're on the Home page (press the Home button) then press Menu and select Create New Collection. Give your collection a name and click on Save.

If your collection seems to have disappeared then click right up to the top of the screen on your 5-way controller, click to the right and select Collections. This will now display all your collections before any book titles.

There are various ways to add books into a collection. You can select a book, click right on the square 5-way controller button and choose Add to Collection. Or you can select a collection, press Menu, choose Add/Remove items and organise multiple books. Tip - while using the latter method, press the Menu button again to Add all the Items on This Page. This is a very fast way to organise your books.

OR if you want to know how to delete books refer to:
http://www.kinworm.com/2011/02/q-12-how-to-delete-books-from-kindle.html